Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm kind of concerned about how many English majors we have in our beloved Army.

Mostly because all the signs and emails look like they were written by a monkey who is learning English as a fifth language after a lobotomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Have you ever seen an Army PowerPoint class without an embarrassing typo?

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
i am a pirate of the high seas
7 years ago I was an unemployed PoliSci graduate, 4 years ago I was an unemployed law school graduate, but then I joined the Army, went to OCS, managed my career well and took advantage of a lucky deployment opportunity and now I have a sweet job in cybersecurity working 35 hours a week and making high 5 figures in the midwest. Of course I'm still in the Reserve for a couple more years but at least the SLRP will pay all my loans off in the meantime!

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

calmasahinducow posted:

7 years ago I was an unemployed PoliSci graduate, 4 years ago I was an unemployed law school graduate, but then I joined the Army, went to OCS, managed my career well and took advantage of a lucky deployment opportunity and now I have a sweet job in cybersecurity working 35 hours a week and making high 5 figures in the midwest. Of course I'm still in the Reserve for a couple more years but at least the SLRP will pay all my loans off in the meantime!

I take it Army JAG officer had no openings?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

calmasahinducow posted:

at least the SLRP will pay

Ah yes. The motto of every career officer.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Crazy Mike posted:

I take it Army JAG officer had no openings?

There's a shocking number of non-JAG Army officers with JDs. I was one. I assume a few failed the bar and said gently caress it, but I think most are like me and realized they'd rather make a living doing something honorable like dropping white phosphorus on children rather than something despicable like filing lawsuits.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

The Slithery D posted:

There's a shocking number of non-JAG Army officers with JDs. I was one. I assume a few failed the bar and said gently caress it, but I think most are like me and realized they'd rather make a living doing something honorable like dropping white phosphorus on children rather than something despicable like filing lawsuits.

Same, except anything to do with being an officer or JD.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Since when have the Reserves gotten so desperate for bodies as to make house calls? :wtf:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Since when have the Reserves gotten so desperate for bodies as to make house calls? :wtf:

I've got barely a year on IRR and the reserves are still mailing me poo poo trying to get me to sign up. I've just mentally filed it away as institutional inertia. Really can't see them being desperate for people with so many having active duty contracts not renewed and the like.

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004

The Slithery D posted:

Yup, I have no regrets about not sitting for the bar.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

SumYungGui posted:

I've got barely a year on IRR and the reserves are still mailing me poo poo trying to get me to sign up. I've just mentally filed it away as institutional inertia. Really can't see them being desperate for people with so many having active duty contracts not renewed and the like.
It sure doesn't seem that way here. Over the past few months, I've been getting more and more letters, phone calls, and the like. Today, out of the blue, two dudes rang my doorbell and said, "Hey, want to be an officer??" :lol:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

In 2006 I got a knock on the door after being IRR for 6 months. Major and a SFC.

They got me till my IRR time was up. Those bastards.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Spicy Guacamole posted:

I got about 10 calls total when i was on IRR, and like 5 or 6 mailers sent to me asking if i'd go to Fort Dix to train people during predeployment

gently caress new jersey and gently caress the army

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

gently caress the army

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004

Spicy Guacamole posted:

They are pretty desperate, especially for E5+ and O3 to O5.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Spicy Guacamole posted:

It sure doesn't seem that way here. Over the past few months, I've been getting more and more letters, phone calls, and the like. Today, out of the blue, two dudes rang my doorbell and said, "Hey, want to be an officer??" :lol:

The local reserve retention NCO tried to add me on Facebook and then showed up to my house. Apparently there are "lots of deployments for different units to different places" coming up.

From what I hear there are some deployments to not-middle-east, but I like raking in pell grants and BAH while learning calculus too much to deploy as a not-11B doing god knows what.

re: typos, back in 2010 or so there was one of those official brown federal installation signs with a typo at Ft. Benning, can't remember what for but it was peak Army at the time when I saw it. I'd imagine it would surely have been fixed by now...

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 22, 2015

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
if you want a free blowie from a fat slampig and are stationed at ft stewart then get in line i guess lol

the dog will watch

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

the future cock socket of the marne posted:

I don't think I'll need motivation unless I am blowing the whole squad. Then maybe I'll need motivation. And a water bottle. Perhaps a shot of whiskey between dicks. That kills the germs, you know.

At least she has a sense of humor about it.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Not trying to hear a stand up routine while I get my dick sucked.*

I'll be passing through Savannah on my way to Virginia on the 1st. I could easily push my trip back a few days...

*not sure this was the best way to word this

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Spicy Guacamole posted:

They're complaining about retention in the officer corps, but they've continually moved promotions to O3 back to 5.5 years while forcing O2s to hold company command. I don't really care either way, because my rear end is getting out, but my buddies are getting a little angry that people who have never deployed are getting promoted before them while they keep getting paid the same to do more poo poo.

psydude fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 22, 2015

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
and thus the cycle of army life continues to turn

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

So what you all are hinting at is... I should switch from guard to reserves for a better chance at getting my gold bar?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

psydude posted:

They're complaining about retention in the officer corps, but they've continually moved promotions to O3 back to 5.5 years while forcing O2s to hold company command. I don't really care either way, because my rear end is getting out, but my buddies are getting a little angry that people who have never deployed are getting promoted before them while they keep getting paid the same to do more poo poo.

lol got my o3 in 36 months

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Crazy Mike posted:

So what you all are hinting at is... I should switch from guard to reserves for a better chance at getting my gold bar?

If that's the flavor of green weenie you like for your deep dicking sure, I guess? Probably not gonna work out in your favor, but again green weenie so what possibly could?
(dont do it just serve your time and get out)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

"For the record, you're supposed to fill out X form to get your address changed in RLAS." Motherfucker, nobody at the company level does that poo poo, ever, because all you're going to do is copy it off of the form into the system and we have this amazing thing called email now that lets me send an electronic letter to you with the very information you need.

Brigade is so gay. It's where senior NCOs go to die.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

psydude posted:

"For the record, you're supposed to fill out X form to get your address changed in RLAS." Motherfucker, nobody at the company level does that poo poo, ever, because all you're going to do is copy it off of the form into the system and we have this amazing thing called email now that lets me send an electronic letter to you with the very information you need.

My entire battalion has to physically print their certs to deploy because there's some old fart in Ft. Hood that doesn't have access to ALMS or JKO, and he's refusing/kicking back certs that have a different name than what they originally were, so it's causing a lot of perfectly valid certs to be no-go'd because the courses changed names (course number remained the same).

gently caress this gay earth.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I'll forego my usual "lol ur still in" and ask it genuinely. Why are any of you still in? We all know how gay the army is, I saw the writing on the wall in 2010 and got the gently caress out as soon as I could. I'm guessing most of you will respond with "I still have four more years to go" or something to that effect but is anyone staying in regardless if they still have a ton of time left?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

psydude posted:

Think about this: Things like paperwork poo poo are going to continue getting worse for years because peace time Army.

This has been your daily demotivational thought public service announcement. Have a nice day!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mike-o posted:

I'll forego my usual "lol ur still in" and ask it genuinely. Why are any of you still in? We all know how gay the army is, I saw the writing on the wall in 2010 and got the gently caress out as soon as I could. I'm guessing most of you will respond with "I still have four more years to go" or something to that effect but is anyone staying in regardless if they still have a ton of time left?

I was really loving broke at the end of 2011 (mom had cancer) and they offered a 10k bonus, tax free. That's really all there was to it; I'm NG so I don't have to move and adjust too much to a different unit's brand of bullshit.

I have not received the 10k bonus, due to ETP.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Mike-o posted:

1.) The National Guard is a decent part time job/social club where I can be super hooah and leave before the constant drudgery of active army can wear me out.
2.) 10.5 more years until I qualify for a pension.
3.) I will live with constant regret over leaving without getting my gold bar. Hell, I live with constant regret enlisting with a degree and now I stay like a battered spouse.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Army trainings gonna get a whole lot worse lololol sorry I'm directly contributing to that.

On the other hand fygm I guess.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
can you expand on that? I'm morbidly curious as to how that's possible.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

My entire battalion has to physically print their certs to deploy because there's some old fart in Ft. Hood that doesn't have access to ALMS or JKO, and he's refusing/kicking back certs that have a different name than what they originally were, so it's causing a lot of perfectly valid certs to be no-go'd because the courses changed names (course number remained the same).

gently caress this gay earth.

The second form they sent was the BAH form, which is still retarded because any time you go on orders over 30 days you have to submit a new form anyway.

Mike-o posted:

For enlisted soldiers in the guard/reserve you can stay with your unit indefinitely so long as you're willing to forego promotions until a spot opens up. So for a lot of people, it's a decent-paying part time job with benefits that they can enjoy with their buddies.

On the officer side there's zero reason to stay in unless you benefit from it professionally or are in some niche like Special Operations or Cyber Warfare. Officer slots on the guard side are based upon appointment, and as a result it's so corrupt and full of nepotism that unless you're politically connected, you'll never get promoted past O4 and may never hold a company command. The Reserve side follows the same system as the regular army; however to get a battalion command you'll likely be required to travel hundreds of miles for drill (my first battalion commander lived in Florida and the HHC was in WV). I guess there's the pension, but I have absolutely no hope that the military pension system will still exist 15 years from now.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 22, 2015

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mike-o posted:

I'm only in now to finish out my med board. Paperwork is up at the PEB currently before heading out to Seattle so the VA can perform their blood ritual of assigning disability ratings. My PEBLO is optimistic and tells me it will be two more months.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Two months? You must not be far from Seattle.

I say that because I'm pretty sure they walk your ratings from Seattle to your duty station on foot. My med board tool roughly 16 months and I was done with all ratings-related appointments by the third month. I spent over a year waiting on my ratings.

It was worth the wait, but there were several times where I was legit suicidal because I felt like o was just treading water with nothing to loving do.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

not caring here posted:

can you expand on that? I'm morbidly curious as to how that's possible.

some of the trainings that were split deployed/garrison are going back to full garrison. big army realizes that garrison troops have lots of time. 45 minute trainings are now an hour, etc.

sorry

Edit: hope you like interactive trainings lololol

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Need more powerpoint classes.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Cole posted:

Two months? You must not be far from Seattle.

I say that because I'm pretty sure they walk your ratings from Seattle to your duty station on foot. My med board tool roughly 16 months and I was done with all ratings-related appointments by the third month. I spent over a year waiting on my ratings.

It was worth the wait, but there were several times where I was legit suicidal because I felt like o was just treading water with nothing to loving do.

That's my understanding. And I'm taking his guess of two months with huge grains of salt. So far I'm about three and a half months in, so my guess is I'll be out around March or so next year

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Need more powerpoint classes.

No joke, I'm going go full hooah here and say the SSD courses would be so loving good if they were actual classroom instruction and actually replaced the modules they encompass instead of having to double up on certs.

I know it doesn't make someone in the Pentagon money if we cut down death by PowerPoint classes but Jesus Christ, SSD covers so loving much it wouldn't need much to become fully comprehensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Pesticide20 posted:

That's my understanding. And I'm taking his guess of two months with huge grains of salt. So far I'm about three and a half months in, so my guess is I'll be out around March or so next year

I walked into my nurse case manager's office one morning. A NCM is the woman who set up all of my appointments while I was in the WTB.

Anyway, I was beginning to go legit loving stir crazy. I felt like I was stuck in the 7th circle of hell. My life wasn't that bad when you look at it on paper. I didn't do anything all day, out of uniform by 830 every morning, civilian clothes everywhere I went. It was a decent life. But it's only decent for the first few months. After that the walls started closing in on me and I wanted to hurl myself out of my third story window on a regular basis.

Anyway my point is I went into my NCM's office and has a nervous breakdown. Tears, yelling, cursing. Bless that lady's heart. I still send her emails every now and again to let her know how I'm doing because she was more supportive than anyone I ever met in the army.

She sent an email to my peblo letting her know how frustrated I was getting. Twenty minutes later I got a phone call from my peblo saying that my ratings had come in. I legit fell to my knees. She claimed to have not even seen the email from my NCM, but I didn't give a poo poo at that point because I couldn't get all that wasted time back and I could finally see an end to the hell I was stuck in.

What I'm saying is, don't let your peblo loving forget about you like I suspect mine did.

• Locked thread