Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If it's history, not Paradox fantasy or Paradox space, and not a sequel there isn't much left but:

- Pre-Roman Ancients (not likely)
- Cold War (unlikely as it would have probably been in pre-production while EvW was still a thing)
&
- Dark Ages (my personal bet for a history game)
- Outside chance for a total reboot of the Rome period without the EU: Rome name? Fresh take and not 'a sequel'.

But.... we know Paradox bid on the Master of Orion license a few years back, so when they failed to get it maybe they greenlit their own space game.

I'll put my money down on a Paradox space game, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Generally this thread is about 8000 times worse when they discuss anything besides release dates

Or NATO counters.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Besides the whole concept of the Dark Ages being totally bunk, how does CK2 not already cover that?

I would loving love a Paradox Cold War game, it could provide a ton of gameplay niches (proxy wars, espionage, brinkmanship, all that) that their other games don't cover, but I'm not sure if they want to touch it after the whole EvW debacle.

Unreal_One posted:

But... this is a game mechanic included with Old Gods. Like, what else is the force prisoner into concubinage supposed to be? Was this patched out at some point? Or did they mod something more explicit?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

If it's history, not Paradox fantasy or Paradox space, and not a sequel there isn't much left but:

- Pre-Roman Ancients (not likely)
- Cold War (unlikely as it would have probably been in pre-production while EvW was still a thing)
&
- Dark Ages (my personal bet for a history game)
- Outside chance for a total reboot of the Rome period without the EU: Rome name? Fresh take and not 'a sequel'.

But.... we know Paradox bid on the Master of Orion license a few years back, so when they failed to get it maybe they greenlit their own space game.

I'll put my money down on a Paradox space game, I guess.

It could be a do-over of an era they did before unsuccessfully (Sengoku, March of the Eagles) or some aspect of an era they've done but couldn't cover (CKII: China). After all, March of the Eagles was set during EU3's timeframe, was it not?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fintilgin posted:

I'd actually be pretty surprised if they don't rename the thing when they do a sequel. Whenever people mention Rome 2 here I (and I would bet pretty much everyone not massively into Paradox games) always think of the pretty poorly received TW game before anything else. Shaking that stigma while keeping the same name would be pretty hard.

and EU: Rome wasn't that well received either right?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Koramei posted:

I'd actually be pretty surprised if they don't rename the thing when they do a sequel. Whenever people mention Rome 2 here I (and I would bet pretty much everyone not massively into Paradox games) always think of the pretty poorly received TW game before anything else. Shaking that stigma while keeping the same name would be pretty hard.

and EU: Rome wasn't that well received either right?

If Cities: Skylines can overcome the godawful Cities games...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Koramei posted:

Rome II -> SPQR?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rome 2 -> Second Rome -> EU: Constantinople

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Top Hats Monthly posted:

East vs West II, made by not-idiots

lmao remember when they ignored any and all requests to show combat or political mechanics and instead spent ages talking about straits and how straits are important and how straits determine the world and here's what we did with straits and you'll have no idea how important straits will be.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Ship designer mothafuckaaaaaa

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Paradox Presents: Rule The Waves

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Mans posted:

lmao remember when they ignored any and all requests to show combat or political mechanics and instead spent ages talking about straits and how straits are important and how straits determine the world and here's what we did with straits and you'll have no idea how important straits will be.

It would be funny if I didn't want a good Cold War Paradox game so much :sigh:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Koesj posted:

Ship designer mothafuckaaaaaa
Only if it covers the full battleship era and I can just build the Great White Fleet over and over again.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Alternatively, Paradox is forging into future history with some near-future scenarios. Or maybe post-apocalyptic grand strategy!

Ofaloaf posted:

Only if it covers the full battleship era and I can just build the Great White Fleet over and over again.

You may want to look into a game called "Rule the Waves." It's groggy as all gently caress and has a pricepoint to match, but that is exactly what it allows you to do.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love paradox but I don't trust them to come up with a compelling scify or fantasy setting or really anything outside of a historic setting :(
I'd loving love to be proven wrong with some amazing 4X game that managed to finally break the last TWENTY loving YEARS of every attempt 4x game being "master of orion but with an even worse interface and some stupid real time gimmick on top and atrociously generic alien design that makes the super generic MOO races seem fleshed out and full of character".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
East vs West + Rule the Waves would be quite something.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I love paradox but I don't trust them to come up with a compelling scify or fantasy setting or really anything outside of a historic setting :(
Paradox is actually pretty good at fantasy settings. Evidence: EU3, EU4, CK2 and Victoria II.

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
Europa Universalis: Europa, a game about the colonization of the sixth moon of Jupiter.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Come empire of the fading suns successor. If anyone can do it, pdox can

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tulul posted:

Besides the whole concept of the Dark Ages being totally bunk, how does CK2 not already cover that?

I guess I mean 'Fall of Rome' maybe? There's a big chunk of time between when EU: Rome ended and CKII - Charlie starts.

Personally though, I'd like to see a classical game that starts when EU: Rome started, and rans through the rise of Christianity (and potentially other also ran religions) up to the early 400s (?) or so. You build a big empire in the early game and the mechanics conspire to make it so you gradually become 'top heavy' and the late game is trying to hold things together as new religions and migratory peoples and such smash what you built up earlier.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Still waiting on Laurasia Universalis. :colbert:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

I'd loving love to be proven wrong with some amazing 4X game that managed to finally break the last TWENTY loving YEARS of every attempt 4x game being "master of orion but with an even worse interface and some stupid real time gimmick on top and atrociously generic alien design that makes the super generic MOO races seem fleshed out and full of character".

On the other hand, if there's any genre out there that could benefit the most from Paradox's approach to trimming out bullshit mechanics that don't add actual meaningful gameplay, it's the Space 4x genre. 90% of the gameplay of those games are pointless busywork or solve-able problems, and virtually always have the same issues of exponential growth leading to painfully dull (and non-interactive) early-games and ludicrously micromanagey late-games.

Most Space 4x games can't nail either the setting or the gameplay so if Paradox could at least get the gameplay right even with a pretty generic setting, I think that would be pretty good by itself.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

YF-23 posted:

Still waiting on Laurasia Universalis. :colbert:

Comet sighted isn't just 1 stab hit, it's game over.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Disco Infiva posted:

Comet sighted isn't just 1 stab hit, it's game over.

Give the event 10 options, one of which will end the game. Randomize which one. Remove 1 option every expansion.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Agean90 posted:

Come empire of the fading suns successor. If anyone can do it, pdox can

gently caress yes this. I don't give a poo poo if it's a Dune rip off just make it. CK2 in space. Base game is human playable only and the expansions to let you play as some of the strange and exotic aliens that exist on the fringes of the map.

Man Emperor of the fading suns was awesome. Held back by the lovely ai and even shittier interfaces of the day, a modern version could be spectacular. It's not like they even have to buy the IP since the IP is just dune and warhammer 40k smushed together. Call it something else, keep the general vibe, keep all the politics and church stuff, keep it focused on a bunch of human empires with some aliens off to the side.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 22, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tulul posted:

I would loving love a Paradox Cold War game, it could provide a ton of gameplay niches (proxy wars, espionage, brinkmanship, all that) that their other games don't cover, but I'm not sure if they want to touch it after the whole EvW debacle.

Before Horse Lords came out, I would have said that CK2 couldn't really model all the migrations and enormous demographic shifts of the Dark Ages. Now, I think they could handle it. It would still probably be better served by its own game, though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pakled posted:

Before Horse Lords came out, I would have said that CK2 couldn't really model all the migrations and enormous demographic shifts of the Dark Ages. Now, I think they could handle it. It would still probably be better served by its own game, though.
I havent been able to keep up with the CKII thread. Considering that this is a general PDX thread - can anyone detail what Horse Lords added to the game?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

I havent been able to keep up with the CKII thread. Considering that this is a general PDX thread - can anyone detail what Horse Lords added to the game?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Bort Bortles posted:

Main thing is an all-new system for hordes. Population mechanics, holding-less provinces, migration, full-retinue style armies and no levies, etc. etc.

You know how the Barbarian class in D&D was designed to appeal to people who like "kick in the door" style gameplay? Exactly the same deal here; it's big, it's loud, it's violent, it's powerful, it's fun and most of all it just doesn't care about a whole lot of fiddly complications that everyone else spends their time obsessing over. It's a pretty great expansion.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:golfclap:

Autonomous Monster posted:

Main thing is an all-new system for hordes. Population mechanics, holding-less provinces, migration, full-retinue style armies and no levies, etc. etc.

You know how the Barbarian class in D&D was designed to appeal to people who like "kick in the door" style gameplay? Exactly the same deal here; it's big, it's loud, it's violent, it's powerful, it's fun and most of all it just doesn't care about a whole lot of fiddly complications that everyone else spends their time obsessing over. It's a pretty great expansion.
Oh poo poo, that sounds pretty cool! I may have to try to catch up with that thread and grab the expansion once I am done re-playing Witcher 3.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
kind of wierd how CK started off as playing as a French duke in medieval times now it's this late antiquity\early medieval era viking and proto-mongol simulator monstrosity

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
At this point my most desired game is CK3. It feels like after 9 expansions poor CK2 is creaking and straining to hold it together and it badly needs the kind of under-the-hood renovations they can't justify on a DLC release cycle. The worst one being that unlike EU4 it can't seem to render a frame while processing a game tick so the slower it runs the less responsive the UI gets.

Fantasy or Sci-Fi CK would be an acceptable substitute though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Mans posted:

kind of wierd how CK started off as playing as a French duke in medieval times now it's this late antiquity\early medieval era viking and proto-mongol simulator monstrosity

But kind of not? It's like, you want to make a game about Europe in the Middle Ages. Okay, we can do that. And, well, obviously to model European geopolitics in that period correctly we need to include the Middle East, or at the very least the Levant and probably North Africa. But you can't do those properly without doing the rest of the Muslim world. And then you really need to do Central Asia, because of how large an impact that region had on Russia, Persia, Mesopotamia etc. And of course there's Islam's Indian front as well, which was very important to them. And of course if you have Central Asia now it's just bizarre that you don't have China. So, if you sit down to make a mediaeval Europe simulator it seems bizarre to say "let's include everything between the Atlantic and Japan", but if you try to break it down you find this continuum of influence going east to west and back again and there isn't really any clear place to cut. And then of course if it's on the map someone's going to want to play it (which then just piles on more pressure to add those regions' periphery zones). Time-wise, the Feudal Revolution/encastellation process circa the turn of the millennium is not actually that bad a break point (cue argument over whether there was any such revolution), but then the Vikings are one of the most enduring images of the Middle Ages, so you've pressure to include them even if it doesn't quite fit. And then suddenly your arguments against further timeline expansion get much weaker, because if you're already stretching back to the ninth century, well Charlemagne is only a century a way, and he's a pretty big deal, and then if you're in the eighth century you might as well go back to the fifth, because that's a much smaller leap than what you've already done.

So I feel like CK's window was pretty fuzzily drawn right from the beginning. Bleed was inevitable.

e:

Sindai posted:

At this point my most desired game is CK3. It feels like after 9 expansions poor CK2 is creaking and straining to hold it together and it badly needs the kind of under-the-hood renovations they can't justify on a DLC release cycle. The worst one being that unlike EU4 it can't seem to render a frame while processing a game tick so the slower it runs the less responsive the UI gets.

Fantasy or Sci-Fi CK would be an acceptable substitute though.

You know, if you did a fantasy CK it might be the perfect opportunity to do those engine renovations, and then you could port them back.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 22, 2015

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
It's the true strategy game we are all waiting for, in which your entire field of interaction is writing letters from your desk and hoping that your subordinates can be trusted and act accordingly. None of this omnipresent micromanagement bullshit. Apply the concept to your era of choice. Grog hard or go home.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

It's the true strategy game we are all waiting for, in which your entire field of interaction is writing letters from your desk and hoping that your subordinates can be trusted and act accordingly. None of this omnipresent micromanagement bullshit. Apply the concept to your era of choice. Grog hard or go home.

A Dwarf Fortress wargame.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Grey Hunter Wargame Thread Simulator 2016.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

But kind of not? It's like, you want to make a game about Europe in the Middle Ages. Okay, we can do that. And, well, obviously to model European geopolitics in that period correctly we need to include the Middle East, or at the very least the Levant and probably North Africa. But you can't do those properly without doing the rest of the Muslim world. And then you really need to do Central Asia, because of how large an impact that region had on Russia, Persia, Mesopotamia etc. And of course there's Islam's Indian front as well, which was very important to them. And of course if you have Central Asia now it's just bizarre that you don't have China. So, if you sit down to make a mediaeval Europe simulator it seems bizarre to say "let's include everything between the Atlantic and Japan", but if you try to break it down you find this continuum of influence going east to west and back again and there isn't really any clear place to cut. And then of course if it's on the map someone's going to want to play it (which then just piles on more pressure to add those regions' periphery zones). Time-wise, the Feudal Revolution/encastellation process circa the turn of the millennium is not actually that bad a break point (cue argument over whether there was any such revolution), but then the Vikings are one of the most enduring images of the Middle Ages, so you've pressure to include them even if it doesn't quite fit. And then suddenly your arguments against further timeline expansion get much weaker, because if you're already stretching back to the ninth century, well Charlemagne is only a century a way, and he's a pretty big deal, and then if you're in the eighth century you might as well go back to the fifth, because that's a much smaller leap than what you've already done.

So I feel like CK's window was pretty fuzzily drawn right from the beginning. Bleed was inevitable.

Haha that's like Immanuel Wallerstein, "I wanted to do a book about colonialism in Africa but I couldn't do that without addressing..." and then he invented world systems theory

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Enjoy posted:

Haha that's like Immanuel Wallerstein, "I wanted to do a book about colonialism in Africa but I couldn't do that without addressing..." and then he invented world systems theory

Everything is connected. :colbert:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if someone created Dominions 4 but with Total War battles i'd die of happiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mans posted:

if someone created Dominions 4 but with Total War battles i'd die of happiness.
:vince:

A space 4x would cause me to die of happiness. I wish Paradox would have won the bid for the MoO IP.

• Locked thread