Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Why didn't one of Contador's team give him their bike?
Looked like they were all gathered round trying to fix his bike at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Haha Froome still salty of Jalabert's comments and thanked him on France2 for the abuse.

Edit: Oh he's being schooled by the presenter on what actually went down.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

How did it actually go down out of interest, i thought it was fairly simple?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

willemw posted:

Electronic stabilizer built into his bike I say!

Movistar isn't going to do anything except hold on to their podium places, are they?

Yep. 0 chance of gaining time with attacks so close to the finish.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yep. 0 chance of gaining time with attacks so close to the finish.

Movistar's tactics make the Schlecks look like reckless attackers.

Our only hope for excitement is for Contador to pull a Landis and for doping control to remain soundly asleep.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

How did it actually go down out of interest, i thought it was fairly simple?

He interviewed with his wife.
His wife was asked about the atmosphere around him to which she contrasted it with last year how he was at home with broken bones and they have a baby on the way so it's looking good. Once she finished he cheekily sniped in thanking Jalabert for the hostile atmosphere.

It was then said by the presenter that they had to clear the situation. Jalabert asked questions, not incite violence. Froome clammed up and just kept nodding going "yup, yup, yup." The interviewer went on to say they had then given Bralisford a chance to talk on Stade2 which he did, they were going to have a further interview from Gallopin tonight saying to stop all the nonsense. Froome thanked the riders who had offered to support him. The interviewer was really in control of the whole discourse, he's not comfortable in French when it gets complicated like that so I'm not sure if he understood it all.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

King Hong Kong posted:

Movistar's tactics make the Schlecks look like reckless attackers.

I think it's a bit different, the Schlecks often seemed too worried to drop each other. The problem Quintana had (past tense because consolidating now makes sense from the team's point of view) is that Valverde can not be trusted at all. Especially if he's on your team it seems :)

All this is from a tactical point of view of course, it seems that Quintana isn't strong enough to open up a big enough gap on Froome this year. It takes him a while to prepare to launch an attack, he gets 10 metres and after 30 seconds Froome comes pedalling back.

E: rumor (Steven De Jongh's wife) has it that Maijka was told to wait for Contador but didn't. Maijka says he never got the order to wait. I hope he rides for another team next year, I believe Quickstep is looking for a new Pole

willemw fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 22, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pocket posted:

He interviewed with his wife.
His wife was asked about the atmosphere around him to which she contrasted it with last year how he was at home with broken bones and they have a baby on the way so it's looking good. Once she finished he cheekily sniped in thanking Jalabert for the hostile atmosphere.

It was then said by the presenter that they had to clear the situation. Jalabert asked questions, not incite violence. Froome clammed up and just kept nodding going "yup, yup, yup." The interviewer went on to say they had then given Bralisford a chance to talk on Stade2 which he did, they were going to have a further interview from Gallopin tonight saying to stop all the nonsense. Froome thanked the riders who had offered to support him. The interviewer was really in control of the whole discourse, he's not comfortable in French when it gets complicated like that so I'm not sure if he understood it all.

Oh ok

Jalabert denying he said stuff, when said stuff has already been broadcast already is pretty bad though don't you think?

I'm not really surprised Froome is blowing them off, in french or not

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I don't hold Jalabert as a voice of reason, he's part of the ingrained doping problem. Him being one person out of many calling Froome out as questionable doesn't make the charge any less valid.

Wouldn't call it blowing off France2, Froome and his wife were engaged in the interview, he tried to be cheeky and it backfired it got a bit emotional and they ended it amicably.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They need to have a serious conversation about the camera work in this tour. How many stages have they unnecessarily focused on a french rider to the detriment of the coverage?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

It's almost comical.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Apparently froome wanted to attack today but the team talked him out of it. I hope it's because he's going to go just all out loving mental on alp d'huez, like 8w/kg the whole climb with the motos unable to keep up.

http://www.skysports.com/cycling/news/12040/9921206/tour-de-france-chris-froome-admits-he-could-have-attacked-on-stage-17

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

willemw posted:

Electronic stabilizer built into his bike I say!

Movistar isn't going to do anything except hold on to their podium places, are they?

Quintana seems tentative with his attacks, but he's still committing more than earlier on the Pyrenees. That close to the finish, it seems crazy that he wouldn't want to press the gap for longer unless it's to stay 100% fresh.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
We witnessed Peak Valverde today when he closed down Contador's attack. Dude's more irritating than Sky and Froome. Quintana might try something but Valverde won't do poo poo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kimbo305 posted:

Quintana seems tentative with his attacks, but he's still committing more than earlier on the Pyrenees. That close to the finish, it seems crazy that he wouldn't want to press the gap for longer unless it's to stay 100% fresh.

Its like they've given up on yellow and are racing for the podium.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They have to race hard for that or Thomas will overtake them.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
If you haven't attacked the yellow jersey, you should lose your spot on the podium IMO.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Jesus the tour could be over today

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

serious gaylord posted:

Its like they've given up on yellow and are racing for the podium.

Not disputing it; just have say it out loud to convince myself, I guess.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Apparently Oleg tinkoff has sent a band to play outside sky's hotel tonight but I can't get the vine on Twitter to work on my ipad

https://twitter.com/mattslaterbbc/status/623946207585566720

Edit: it's a samba band lmaaaaaooooo

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Apparently froome wanted to attack today but the team talked him out of it. I hope it's because he's going to go just all out loving mental on alp d'huez, like 8w/kg the whole climb with the motos unable to keep up.

http://www.skysports.com/cycling/news/12040/9921206/tour-de-france-chris-froome-admits-he-could-have-attacked-on-stage-17

Given he looked the most spent I have seen him at the end of the stage today I think that's all talk and trying to hide the fact he was at his limit today.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Apparently Oleg tinkoff has sent a band to play outside sky's hotel tonight but I can't get the vine on Twitter to work on my ipad

https://twitter.com/mattslaterbbc/status/623946207585566720

Edit: it's a samba band lmaaaaaooooo

Sometimes he takes breaks from being an idiot and pretends he's a genius.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Xabi posted:

If you haven't attacked the yellow jersey, you should lose your spot on the podium IMO.

I hope Valverde never finishes higher than third in any future race as punishment. Also that all previous higher finishes are vacated.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Was looking for this to share this touching story. During the preamble today France2 did a bio on Lucien, 90 years old, he's been to 41 editions of the Tour and is still handing out cans of Coke and beverages to the riders.

Segment starts 1 minute in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjy_dR5AMAw

The article in English covers most of what he says in the video but it lacks the emotions. Also Lucien talks about when Cadel Evans giving him the World Champs jersey from the race in Mendrisio, Cadel held on to it for almost a year before their paths crossed in order to do so.

http://pelotonmagazine.com/home-page-slider/aerogramme-day-05-meet-the-superfan/

:3 need to go dry my eyes again.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

So that's where they have been getting those small cans of coke. That's awesome.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

So there was a phrase at the end when he's got a tear in his eyes I couldn't quite understand what he was saying because it sounded like Flemish so I had another listen to it:

"At my age I'm not as mobile as before, but it's fine, I'm happy like this and that's what counts. Once *flemish words*, it's an illness that isn't curable. I will, maybe hold on for a few more years, we will see, I'm not abandoning yet... The love of the race is too strong."

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

He says "once you've caught that bug", not in the sense of an actual illness, he's talking about what he's doing.

Apparently Evans kept a world record jersey for close to year so he could hand it to him. That's loving awesome.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Xabi posted:

We witnessed Peak Valverde today when he closed down Contador's attack. Dude's more irritating than Sky and Froome. Quintana might try something but Valverde won't do poo poo.

Actually Peak Valverde is getting your team to kill themselves setting pace on a climb to set up an attack, and promptly being dropped as soon as the group gets whittled down.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Its kinda sad that TJVG and Quintana have defended Froome in interviews, which basically confirms they are old school omerta types on programs of their own. In fact I haven't seen any riders say anything suspicious of Froome, we need a Bassons.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

He says "once you've caught that bug", not in the sense of an actual illness, he's talking about what he's doing.

Apparently Evans kept a world record jersey for close to year so he could hand it to him. That's loving awesome.

It's his accent "ce microbe la" that's it, I took it that way the first time but then wondered if he actually had something serious other than a life long addiction to racing bikes.

Still B.A.E posted:

Actually Peak Valverde is getting your team to kill themselves setting pace on a climb to set up an attack, and promptly being dropped as soon as the group gets whittled down.

This was the Valverde that everyone tuned into see. I liked to imagine his team bus perpetually full of eternal optimists.

DS: Okay so you go up the road, then you three will kill yourselves on the last climb. Put everyone into difficulty, strong man Al here will go on the attack and take yellow.
AV: The sensations are good guys, I'm going to smash it!

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band

African AIDS cum posted:

Its kinda sad that TJVG and Quintana have defended Froome in interviews, which basically confirms they are old school omerta types on programs of their own. In fact I haven't seen any riders say anything suspicious of Froome, we need a Bassons.

There is no hard evidence against Froome.

Until we have anything other than hear say, we're just lynching people.

Simmer down and enjoy the tour. Concentrate on some other aspect of it.

Your bitching in this thread is nearly as boring as the Sky train itself.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Ted Ed Fred posted:

I'm not WADA and don't need "hard evidence" I know bullshit when I see it. Given the fact there hasnt been a clean winner of the tour since at least the 80s (and thats iffy) Sky need to be the ones proving they are actually clean. They've done anything but. Feel free to not read my posts. This is a huge part of the sport like it or not.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Ted Ed Fred posted:

hello welcome to this lovely thread

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Ted Ed Fred posted:

There's no hard evidence, but there's certainly a mountain of poo poo to be waded through.

Have some gloves.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

African AIDS cum posted:

I'm not WADA and don't need "hard evidence" I know bullshit when I see it. Given the fact there hasnt been a clean winner of the tour since at least the 80s (and thats iffy) Sky need to be the ones proving they are actually clean. They've done anything but. Feel free to not read my posts. This is a huge part of the sport like it or not.

2011 is as close as we will get to dope free TdF - it was an entirely different race and there was no "Oh come on, that's BS" moments so at the least no one was on rocket fuel. And also if you can find the data, most of the performances were a good .5w/kg lower than this TdF to boot. 2012 had Wiggins and Sky but the performances once again noticeably lower as well - the data spikes back up for 2013.

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007
Germans putting in work at this Tour. Geschke's ride and being in tears during the post-race interview was great. Need more stages like this, enjoyed it a ton.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

2011 is as close as we will get to dope free TdF - it was an entirely different race and there was no "Oh come on, that's BS" moments so at the least no one was on rocket fuel. And also if you can find the data, most of the performances were a good .5w/kg lower than this TdF to boot. 2012 had Wiggins and Sky but the performances once again noticeably lower as well - the data spikes back up for 2013.

Yeah it was an awesome tour, loved it. The last good one.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

That's because almost all riders dope! A classic example of this was shown in the team time trial results this tour, where 4 teams almost had identical times and 4 others where not far behind. Cycling = doping, its always been this way and always will be this way.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
Doping is cyclings most visible problem, other sports have massive doping problems as well, it's just a smaller part of a larger shitcake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Looks like a ridiculously strong group getting away already. This is going to be brutal for a lot of riders. Sky haven't sent anyone in the break today.