Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bob Ojeda posted:

Am I crazy in thinking that Perry is one of the better Republican choices from an electability point of view? Whatever chance he has in actually winning a primary.

Perry is vulnerable to attacks on his record of graft, gutting women's health, gutting of education, and selling as much of Texas's infrastructure to private interests as possible (see graft, listed previously). He did well in Texas politics but I don't think he'll let long on the national stage where he doesn't have the Texas GOP graft and good old boy network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

sbaldrick posted:

Giving a quick read through this, the Donald is really good at tax shelters and charging himself management fees.

He's smart.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Nuclearmonkee posted:

That's a lot of words that will responded to in 140 characters or less.
Yeah it's going to get something like "rick perry's got a lot of problems, he's a loser, he's a clown, and ... oops!"

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

sbaldrick posted:

Murdock doesn't seem the type not to fire Ailes on the spot if he felt like it. If Rupert really wanted it stopped it would be.

It's not his call to make anymore. http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/16/james-murdoch-21st-century-fox-chief-executive

The old man's been usurped, and his vile progeny care about money far more than their father's ideology

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Ha!

quote:

Mr. Trump’s net worth is a source of consternation: in a legal deposition, he once declared that it can fluctuate with his feelings.

:( "I'm only worth a few billion today, I don't feel like my normal, huge self."

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Shifty Pony posted:

Perry is vulnerable to attacks on his record of graft, gutting women's health, gutting of education, and selling as much of Texas's infrastructure to private interests as possible (see graft, listed previously). He did well in Texas politics but I don't think he'll let long on the national stage where he doesn't have the Texas GOP graft and good old boy network.

lol if you think any of that is going to matter in a GOP primary

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:psyduck:

schedule a is a nightmare

the first item on that is

4 SHADOW TREE LANE LLC
owned by:
1% 4 SHADOW TREE LANE MEMBER CORP
99% DJT HOLDINGS LLC

so you look up who owns shadow tree lane and djt

4 SHADOW TREE LANE MEMBER CORP
owned by:
100% Donald J Trump

DJT HOLDINGS LLC
owned by:
1% DJT HOLDINGS MANAGING MEMBER LLC
99% Donald J Trump

and, of course

DJT HOLDINGS MANAGING MEMBER LLC
owned by:
100% Donald J Trump

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

loving Dingus posted:

In the face of all these threats, we are now on course to have the smallest military since June of 1940. The hollowing out of our military forces is an invitation for our enemies to test us

lol

We had a budget of 2.2 billion dollars for Defense in 1940 (which, after adjusting for inflation, is equivalent to 36.9 billion dollars today).

When exactly did Obama cut our Defense budget down to a 20th of it's current position?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Perry is vulnerable to anything in groups of more than 3.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Shifty Pony posted:

Those are definitely the negatives (along with stuff like Texas' economic recovery not being as impressive as it looks) but I'm not sure how strongly that stuff will actually play. Because for a Republican candidate, a lot of that stuff comes close to being policy - gutting women's health is a strong commitment to being pro-life, and the rest of it plays as free-market, low-spending deficit hawk credentials. I'm not saying those negatives don't exist, but everyone in the field has negatives - in many cases pretty much the same negatives that you're talking about here. And he has the upside of looking presidential and seeming decent at dealing with the media, and not seeming totally insane.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Why does he get a SAG producers pension?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Pinterest Mom posted:

schedule a is a nightmare

the first item on that is

4 SHADOW TREE LANE LLC
owned by:
1% 4 SHADOW TREE LANE MEMBER CORP
99% DJT HOLDINGS LLC

so you look up who owns shadow tree lane and djt

4 SHADOW TREE LANE MEMBER CORP
owned by:
100% Donald J Trump

DJT HOLDINGS LLC
owned by:
1% DJT HOLDINGS MANAGING MEMBER LLC
99% Donald J Trump

and, of course

DJT HOLDINGS MANAGING MEMBER LLC
owned by:
100% Donald J Trump

I finally figured out what the Donald can be attacked for, he runs his companies like the Japanese and not an American.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Perry is vulnerable to anything in groups of more than 3.

"Consarnit! I'll get that traveling salesman that sold me these "magic glasses"- they 'aint helpin' at all!"

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Trabisnikof posted:

Why does he get a SAG producers pension?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0874339/

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Rick Perry did that whole cancer of conservatism thing, so Trump tweeted a photo of Rick Perry kissing up to him for donations and support.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/22/donald-trump-tweets-photo-of-hypocrite-rick-perry-/

"Donald Trump tweets photo of ‘hypocrite’ Rick Perry ‘begging for my support and money"

It's so wonderful that he can point out every single one of his opponents as a panderer, with photographic evidence.

In a Monday op-ed for National Review, Mr. Perry wrote that “Trump-ism” involves “a toxic mix of demagoguery and nonsense.”

“Being president of the United States is serious business, not a reality TV show,” he wrote.

Mr. Trump responded to that attack by saying the former governor “doesn’t understand what the word demagoguery means” and that he “should be forced to take an IQ test” before the first GOP debate.

Martin Random fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 22, 2015

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Martin Random posted:

Rick Perry did that whole cancer of conservatism thing, so Trump tweeted a photo of Rick Perry kissing up to him for donations and support.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/22/donald-trump-tweets-photo-of-hypocrite-rick-perry-/

"Donald Trump tweets photo of ‘hypocrite’ Rick Perry ‘begging for my support and money"

It's so wonderful that he can point out every single one of his opponents as a panderer, with photographic evidence.

The hero we deserve

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Don't you usually have to retire first?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Bob Ojeda posted:

Am I crazy in thinking that Perry is one of the better Republican choices from an electability point of view? Whatever chance he has in actually winning a primary.

yes

wtf dont doubt now! His transcripted speech against Trump-ism is full of fallacies and no solution/plans/proposal to propping up America. He even underlined that "There is no such thing as free lunch" akin to loving tuition without even asking WHY it is like that in the first place. It's supposed to be some kind of norm written down from thousands of years, apparently. loving conservatism. He also talks about how its "logical" that companies should relocate their HQ to countries with lower tax rates, another fallacy because if you'd fix America, you wouldn't have to do that in the first place, loving retard.

Perry is just a puppet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thump! posted:

lol

We had a budget of 2.2 billion dollars for Defense in 1940 (which, after adjusting for inflation, is equivalent to 36.9 billion dollars today).

When exactly did Obama cut our Defense budget down to a 20th of it's current position?

US Military personnel in 1940
Army: 269,023
Navy: 160,997
Marines: 28,345
Total: 458,365

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/learn/education/for-students/ww2-history/ww2-by-the-numbers/us-military.html

"As of 31 December 2013, 1,369,532 people were on active duty in the armed forces, with an additional 850,880 people in the seven reserve components."

https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/dwp/reports.do?category=reports&subCat=milActDutReg

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Trump is burning like every loving bridge in the world, this is awesome

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

lol if you think any of that is going to matter in a GOP primary

Oh I know I was just responding to someone who was saying he had electability in the general. Perry hasn't been subjected to the sort of skeleton hunting that a nationwide general election brings. It is hard to overstate just how corrupt Texas politics are and Perry was so graft and patronage driven that the rest of the state GOP went "um, tone it down dammit". His admin paid out $222 million to people who hadn't even requested it.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Lastgirl posted:

yes

wtf dont doubt now! His transcripted speech against Trump-ism is full of fallacies and no solution/plans/proposal to propping up America. He even underlined that "There is no such thing as free lunch" akin to loving tuition without even asking WHY it is like that in the first place. It's supposed to be some kind of norm written down from thousands of years, apparently. loving conservatism. He also talks about how its "logical" that companies should relocate their HQ to countries with lower tax rates, another fallacy because if you'd fix America, you wouldn't have to do that in the first place, loving retard.

Perry is just a puppet.

I'm not saying he would be a good president duder

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh I know I was just responding to someone who was saying he had electability in the general. Perry hasn't been subjected to the sort of skeleton hunting that a nationwide general election brings. It is hard to overstate just how corrupt Texas politics are and Perry was so graft and patronage driven that the rest of the state GOP went "um, tone it down dammit". His admin paid out $222 million to people who hadn't even requested it.

That's funny as hell, but I'm still not sure it makes him totally unelectable

And really, electability in the 2016 Republican primary is a pretty low bar

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

Let's not forget that Perry's currently facing a felony indictment for abuse of official capacity and coercion of a public servant. His defense is essentially that it was Texas politics as usual.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Bob Ojeda posted:

I'm not saying he would be a good president duder

That's funny as hell, but I'm still not sure it makes him totally unelectable

And really, electability in the 2016 Republican primary is a pretty low bar

I'm not saying he'd be electable at that either duder. I'd wager Jindal to be more electable than him :^)

It is a very low bar and I'm glad of it. Time for Reagan's zombie to die and have a new narrative/GOP establishment that isn't stuck in the 80s.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tobermory posted:

Let's not forget that Perry's currently facing a felony indictment for abuse of official capacity and coercion of a public servant. His defense is essentially that it was Texas politics as usual.

To be fair to Perry, he's not the only candidate running for the Republican nod with similar problems.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Martin Random posted:

I think it's funny how mad they all are at trump for pulling back the curtain. Do you think Perry is mad because the secret is out, or because he didn't have the balls (or gravitas) to try it himself?

Even if the trumptastrophe will soon come to an end, the memory of the candidate who ran on a platform of how contradictory and xenophobic he is will give me the chuckles for the rest of my life.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mirthless posted:

I think it's funny how mad they all are at trump for pulling back the curtain. Do you think Perry is mad because the secret is out, or because he didn't have the balls (or gravitas) to try it himself?

Even if the trumptastrophe will soon come to an end, the memory of the candidate who ran on a platform of how contradictory and xenophobic he is will give me the chuckles for the rest of my life.

The thing is, only Trump could do what he's doing now.

Everyone else outside of maybe the brother of W Bush can't risk pissing off the billionaires that control the PAC's and republican party that these clowns rely on. Trump is his own PAC and doesn't answer to anyone, and it's hilariously awesome to watch him go full on scorched earth earning the support of the base the GOP use to be able to count on while these chuckle fucks still have corporate masters to answer to.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
For those of you who remember the greatest short lived show of 1990's...Family Guy before Family Guy existed - this is Trump's candidacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rshem5ejOh8

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

A Winner is Jew posted:

Everyone else outside of maybe the brother of W Bush can't risk pissing off the billionaires that control the PAC's and republican party that these clowns rely on. Trump is his own PAC and doesn't answer to anyone, and it's hilariously awesome to watch him go full on scorched earth earning the support of the base the GOP use to be able to count on while these chuckle fucks still have corporate masters to answer to.

Trump isn't a liberal plant to discredit and ruin the Republicans. He's a Clinton plant to unite the powers that be in passing an anti Citizens United amendment.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

The Nastier Nate posted:

For those of you who remember the greatest short lived show of 1990's...Family Guy before Family Guy existed - this is Trump's candidacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rshem5ejOh8

I said to myself "this better be The Critic" as I clicked the link and :allears:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gyges posted:

Trump isn't a liberal plant to discredit and ruin the Republicans. He's a Clinton plant to unite the powers that be in passing an anti Citizens United amendment.

And Jeb! is as pro-CU a candidate as ever there could be.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Gyges posted:

If that happened this will probably be the one time where not only does the ends justify the means, but the means will be hilarious to watch.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

The question related to that is how far he will go with his independence from donors. Recent disclosures, I believe, reveal 1.4 million spent so far, most self-financed.

Chump Trump change.

How much will he spend? 10 million? 100 million? If he nosedives in the polls, is he egotistical enough to sell assets and blanket the whole country with ads in the most expensive campaign in history?

Only Trump knows how badly he wants to be president.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

neonnoodle posted:

Did LOL. The republican race is literally Wacky Delly. Or maybe Trump's campaign is Wacky Delly, since no matter how awful it is, the ratings keep going up.

Trump's campaign is on the episode that was basically just a jar of mayo in front of the camera for 30 minutes.

Yes, in this analogy it works best if Trump's campaign is Wacky Delly and Reince Priebus is Ed Bighead's son.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sinteres posted:

Fox News will turn all their guns on Trump if it looks like he has even a remote chance at winning the nomination. They like him now, when the entertainment value and ratings outweigh the risk, but once the voting starts they'll be pushing viability hard.

Fox isn't going to stop backing Trump unless he shits on Roger Ailes constantly, and he won't because they get along really well apparently.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

My guess is that they're going to hit him hard in the debates about the fact he used to be really weirdly liberal, supporting weird huge taxes on the rich, universal healthcare (which he seems to still sort of support actually?) and giving 100k to the Hillary senate campaign among a lot of other liberal stuff. That will probably backfire, but it's really the only avenue of attack they have. That article in the National Review saying Donald is actually Obama was an early salvo.

"I was willing to give her a chance and she blew it, as did the Democrat Party. I gave them that chance to show they aren't un-American and they threw it away. I won't apologize, I'll make them regret throwing away my offer."

There's no way he doesn't fire off something like that to turn an attack on his past in to an attack on Democrats.

Trabisnikof posted:

To be fair to Perry, he's not the only candidate running for the Republican nod with similar problems.

Wisconsin's SC ordered the investigations in to Walker to be closed and all evidence destroyed because the investigation was clearly nonsense please ignore the Walker staffers who have been found guilty of various crimes.

Unless you count Christie who isn't running.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

William Bear posted:

The question related to that is how far he will go with his independence from donors. Recent disclosures, I believe, reveal 1.4 million spent so far, most self-financed.

Chump Trump change.

How much will he spend? 10 million? 100 million? If he nosedives in the polls, is he egotistical enough to sell assets and blanket the whole country with ads in the most expensive campaign in history?

Only Trump knows how badly he wants to be president.

I think if he nosedives because a gaff finally sinks him he's out, but so far he's been able to get away with poo poo that would have killed anyone else and not only survived but gained an even bigger lead.

The real question is when the establishment/tea party backers start to carpet bomb him with negative adds if he spends his own money on adds to bomb them back. If he does then he really want's to take this all the way but if he doesn't then it will be obvious he's trying to minimize his losses while still trying to get as much media exposure as possible.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Why is Trump's reputation made of teflon anyways

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Aliquid posted:

He has a plurality of shares in my PredictIt portfolio, you're not the only one.

If you're buying in the "yes" category of the RNOM market, you're doing it wrong. Adding up all the "yes" values gets you to around 200%; unless the republicans are selecting two nominees for president, the collective yes shares are vastly overvalued.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

-Troika- posted:

Everyone already knows he's an rear end in a top hat, and for some of his supporters, that's what they like about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

-Troika- posted:

http://exiledonline.com/we-the-spiteful/

A long but good read on why trump being an rear end in a top hat resonates so well with people who typically vote in primaries, and especially republican primaries.

• Locked thread