Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

One more trivial note: the tapping sound that Reed mentions there at the end? That was Thor, trying to John Henry his way through the mountain to save them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

One more trivial note: the tapping sound that Reed mentions there at the end? That was Thor, trying to John Henry his way through the mountain to save them.

So did Tony just loving waste Thor?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Milotic posted:

It bugs me that Prometheus clearly mentions magical shenanigans before shooting Supergirl (who knows she is vulnerable to that stuff) and she's meant to be faster than a speeding bullet. And also when it was retconned that a Doombotsidekick was responsible for most of his chumpings.

Anyway, let's have some Secret Wars #4. This is a very stereotypical representation of the characters - Iron Man's a bit of a lounge lizard and Reed Richards is an rear end in a top hat. The most interesting thing is how utterly terrifyingly powerful the Molecule Man is - he does the following almost in an off-hand way. I've not come across him too often in my travels, I guess partly because he's so drat strong.

I love Secret Wars, it moves so quickly.

*some time later*

In retrospect, it's odd to see an issue where everyone's had the poo poo kicked out of them except Hawkeye.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

So did Tony just loving waste Thor?

Thor is a badass; you don't kill him that easily.

(I can't find the panel, but right after they've blown the top off the mountain, Thor comes by to tell them what he was doing. He might have had his hat knocked off. But he had also just been in a fight with a whole bunch of the bad guys, so they might have knocked the hat off.)

prefect fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 22, 2015

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Skates.

And I guess because that's Iron Rhodey it's more blaxploitation than sexist with the 'woman' lone, but it still reminds me of Monica's flashbacks in Nextwave.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Milotic posted:

The most interesting thing is how utterly terrifyingly powerful the Molecule Man is - he does the following almost in an off-hand way. I've not come across him too often in my travels, I guess partly because he's so drat strong.

He's almost a proto-Sentry but from the villain side of things. Cosmic-level power wielded by a broken mind.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

goatface posted:

He's almost a proto-Sentry but from the villain side of things. Cosmic-level power wielded by a broken mind.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!

goatface posted:

They have a showdown in Dark Avengers. He's living in a town in the desert and has made statues everywhere iirc.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Domalom posted:

They have a showdown in Dark Avengers. He's living in a town in the desert and has made statues everywhere iirc.

Once, they turned him into half of a Cosmic Cube.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I really liked what they did to Molecule Man in Secret Wars, mostly because it made sense to kid me. "Yeah? Control molecules, that is pretty insane!" But then everything after that is kind of lame in regards to how they used him. I get that it's hard to write for a basically godlike character (see the trash that is Secret Wars II) but I always thought they could have done more with MM than they did.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I remember the Beyonder taking a poo poo was like, a multi page thing.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Flesh Forge posted:

I remember the Beyonder taking a poo poo was like, a multi page thing.

Not even a full page, actually, but still magnificent and certainly appropriate for the Bad (at having an) rear end panels thread.

There's also a sequence of him just putting random things in a cuisinart to blend and eat, I think.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

RandallODim posted:

Not even a full page, actually, but still magnificent and certainly appropriate for the Bad (at having an) rear end panels thread.

There's also a sequence of him just putting random things in a cuisinart to blend and eat, I think.

On both counts, all I can see is The Beyonder was in disguise as my college roommate.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RandallODim posted:

In the back of a limo.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The experience is consummated!

I bet he didn't know to flush.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Haha, Radio Shack. Ah, the past.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hey they spent millions on that endorsement deal. It worked out great for Apple! Sony's return was more mixed.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't see any flush sound in those panels. Do you?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Flesh Forge posted:

Here's some fanart.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Badass Panels: Pretty much just excessive

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Loki #16.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Weirdworld #2

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Milotic posted:

Anyway, let's have some Secret Wars #4. This is a very stereotypical representation of the characters - Iron Man's a bit of a lounge lizard and Reed Richards is an rear end in a top hat. The most interesting thing is how utterly terrifyingly powerful the Molecule Man is - he does the following almost in an off-hand way. I've not come across him too often in my travels, I guess partly because he's so drat strong.

Mike Zeck at his prime was just so, so good. I think every other comic poster I had as a kid was a Zeck painting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

head58 posted:

Weirdworld #2

Vile Ape-lantis...

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
More Beyonder, more SW2

He's a sly one!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ferrule posted:

More Beyonder, more SW2

He's a sly one!

Is that Dazzler? Because they totally dated or whatever for awhile around that time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Headband. Strawberry blonde hair in pixie cut. Terrible, and rapidly-dated fashion sense. Yup, looks like Dazzler.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Yeah, it's Dazzler.

Poot Longshot.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I think that issue with pete teaching yondi how to poop was featured in every single grocery store random 3-pack of comics in the 80s. I had like five copies of it.

It also has Luke Cage teach him what money is by using the gold standard, which was already a decade out of date at the time (and Danny totally calls him on it) and in return, beyonder turns the HFH building into gold. An element not known for possessing the tensile strength to make for good structural materials. The building immediately collapses on itself.

Wacky.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
To me the best part of that gold building situation was the followup. Spidey works the rescue operation, which is pretty brutal, and thinks about how he could just take something small and sell it to solve all of his money problems but then decides it wouldn't be right. Not too long after he finds out that Kingpin is working with federal government agents (who believe that this much gold hitting the markets at once would destroy gold prices) and has a cordon of gangsters and thugs keeping people away from the building, in exchange for being able to loot some of the gold. Spidey gets super-pissed and steals a notepad, which of course causes him a shitload of trouble further down the line, because you can't exactly pay rent with a gold notepad.

I don't know how much gold you'd have to suddenly flood onto the market in order to ruin the price of gold. I'd guess that the sudden discovery of a solid gold office building on Park Avenue with everything inside but the people turned into gold would tank the price, but then again so would the discovery of a literal god-man with almost no limits on his powers who can turn anything and everything into gold.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PantsOptional posted:

I don't know how much gold you'd have to suddenly flood onto the market in order to ruin the price of gold. I'd guess that the sudden discovery of a solid gold office building on Park Avenue with everything inside but the people turned into gold would tank the price, but then again so would the discovery of a literal god-man with almost no limits on his powers who can turn anything and everything into gold.

Imagine if you were a super-villain who had taken control of all the world's gold, and had decided to melt it down to make a cube. How long would the sides be? Hundreds of metres, thousands even?

Actually, it's unlikely to be anything like that size.

Warren Buffett, one of the world's richest investors, says the total amount of gold in the world - the gold above ground, that is - could fit into a cube with sides of just 20m (67ft).

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21969100

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

prefect posted:

Imagine if you were a super-villain who had taken control of all the world's gold, and had decided to melt it down to make a cube. How long would the sides be? Hundreds of metres, thousands even?

Warren Buffett, one of the world's richest investors, says the total amount of gold in the world - the gold above ground, that is - could fit into a cube with sides of just 20m (67ft).

Why would you accept information on this topic from a member of a demographic known to spend most of their free time diving into gold coin swimming pools?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

spacejung posted:

Why would you accept information on this topic from a member of a demographic known to spend most of their free time diving into gold coin swimming pools?

This is totally off-topic, but someone built Scrooge's money bin out of Lego. Follow the links to the Facebook page because this thing is amazing.
http://comicsalliance.com/lego-scrooge-mcduck-money-bin/

And Don Rosa made architectural plans for the money bin.
http://imgur.com/a/rVo9W

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

spacejung posted:

He had to measure the plot for the pool, didn't he?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

prefect posted:

And there's more gold than that in a cubic mile of sea water. The cube law is pretty cool.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

qntm posted:

And there's more gold than that in a cubic mile of sea water. The cube law is pretty cool.

How could there be more gold in a cubed mile of sea water than in all of the world?

Oh, above ground, I didn't read the entire thing. I'm not sure I believe you, but okay.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Drifter posted:

How could there be more gold in a cubed mile of sea water than in all of the world?

Oh, above ground, I didn't read the entire thing. I'm not sure I believe you, but okay.

I'm not sure I believe it either. NOAA has about 13 parts per trillion gold in seawater, which in a 9 trillion pound cubic mile should translate to about 117 pounds of gold in each cubic mile. Call me crazy, but I think we've dug up more gold than that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's about 300 million cubic miles of ocean. I don't think there's enough gold in the planet for 8000 m^3 per cubic mile.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Well, my number was obviously off, then. Sorry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think it's probably one of those things that entered the common consciousness through someone's lazy unit conversion, but the reality was less interesting to talk about so people remember the more exciting one.