Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

AirRaid posted:

Which fits perfectly with what he's saying since the Pre-sequel cutscenes with Athena take place on flying Sanctuary after BL2.

Oh... right. I didn't think about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dolash posted:

Honestly, Telltale games usually get a lot of flack for lacking choice or for the choices not mattering as much as they appeared to, but for some reason Tales from the Borderlands doesn't feel like it has that problem. I think a large part of that has to do with tone, since the more dramatic games try to build up these ~tough decisions~ which set high expectations, since if the decision doesn't end up having enough impact then it wasn't as important as it seemed. Comedy adventures like this work better since choices that focus on character over results can feel meaningful just by being funny, so that when there's unexpected real differences that come out of your decisions they feel like a bonus.

Coming to this from season 1 of Walking Dead, I think it has a lot to do with the consequences of the choice. You don't always feel like the only option is failure in Tales, although it's a violent enough setting that it's a legitimate concern, as evidenced by the Episode 3 sequence with Sasha and the collapsing catwalk.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kaethela posted:

Wait, that's an option? What happens if you skip it altogether?

There's a fairly tender moment between Rhys and Sasha too, in this route. She says she wants to show Fiona, the flower sprays her, and she starts laughing about it. Rhys says "You kinda deserved that", and Sasha replies "Yeah, I sorta did."

Rhys and Sasha are pretty cute together, if only because they both have pretty massive inferiority complexes that they're working through in their own ways.

Dolash posted:

Honestly, Telltale games usually get a lot of flack for lacking choice or for the choices not mattering as much as they appeared to, but for some reason Tales from the Borderlands doesn't feel like it has that problem. I think a large part of that has to do with tone, since the more dramatic games try to build up these ~tough decisions~ which set high expectations, since if the decision doesn't end up having enough impact then it wasn't as important as it seemed. Comedy adventures like this work better since choices that focus on character over results can feel meaningful just by being funny, so that when there's unexpected real differences that come out of your decisions they feel like a bonus.
Choice in Telltale games has very frequently not meant changing what happens, but rather changing the tenor under which it happens. That's not something that really anyone has done before in games, and it's taken a number of iterations for people to figure out how they feel about it. TWD and Tales have more in common mechanically than I think people give it credit for - think Ben's arc/fate in TWD as opposed to Vaughn's in Tales 2/3 - but these days we understand a bit better that we're not changing the ending, or averting disasters, we're setting the stage for how the characters will handle them.

And at least in my case, I think that's totally fine. Truthfully, most of the spoilers in this thread are probably unnecessary (including mine above) simply because it doesn't matter if you know that so and so dies - the circumstances it happens under are so different that the spoiler loses a lot of its impact.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 28, 2015

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Donnerberg posted:

This is from the first trailer.

The entire framing device of the game is that it's a story being told by Athena who gets captured by Brick and Mordecai after the events of Borderlands 2.

e:f,b

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
^^^ So rly it goes...

Borderlands > flashback/actual story of Pre-Sequel > Borderlands 2 > Tales from the Borderlands > framing/prologue/whatever of Pre-Sequel

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I wonder if anything from Tales will affect the rest of the Borderlands series? Say, if they make a Borderlands 3? Fiona getting training in Vault hunting from Athena could be a setup to her being a character (maybe a DLC one), not to mention if they actually make it to the Vault of the Traveler vaults are extremely important to the story (so far as I can tell). Could be some big important alien in there or something.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think best case they get cameos, but I'd be surprised if they aren't mentioned at all.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Borderlands 3 is in development so I assume Tales is laying the groundwork for that, and the ending of the Pre-Sequel flat out states that something huge and bad is about to happen..

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I think anything's possible at this point really. Pre-sequel sold well enough to get ported to a bunch of stuff, but the DLC generally seemed to go over like a lead balloon, which implies that people burnt out halfway through and didn't finish the game. Borderlands as a whole isn't winning a ton of fans with its gameplay, the shootmans are mostly there to keep you engaged, if not entertained, in between set pieces that are equally hilarious and dark and insane. That's kind of where TPS fell short - the characters aside from Claptrap were painfully one-note, and Claptrap is, well, Claptrap. His very existence is divisive.

If any character in Tales ends up with a particularly large fan base after this season I could easily see them becoming the hook for whatever story they want to tell next. I could definitely see Fiona in particular fitting in with the last chance tenor of the Vault Hunters of BL1 and 2.

That said, for my money, I've been getting a ton more fun density out of Tales than I ever got out of BL1/2 so I would not be sad at all if something like Tales became Borderlands' main vehicle for a few years while they figure out how to make BL3's mechanics tuned enough that we're not dismissing an entire end game mode as grindy psuedo-MMO bullshit, passing by the 15th functionally identical worthless drop we've seen today, and having more boss fights be with uniquely named Badass units rather than actual bosses.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The tie conversation absolutely slayed me. As soon as it started I turned Rhys towards the camera to see what they were talking about and ended up laughing for like ten minutes.

My suspicion for the masked character is that it's Gordys and that since it's keyed to Rhys and Fiona they are recovering its parts and going to finally find a vault. The storytelling is just because Gordys wants to hear a story and for Rhys and Fiona to bond over it and get along again.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Potsticker posted:

The tie conversation absolutely slayed me. As soon as it started I turned Rhys towards the camera to see what they were talking about and ended up laughing for like ten minutes.

My suspicion for the masked character is that it's Gordys and that since it's keyed to Rhys and Fiona they are recovering its parts and going to finally find a vault. The storytelling is just because Gordys wants to hear a story and for Rhys and Fiona to bond over it and get along again.

Gordys would never shoot a man changing a tire.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jubs posted:

Gordys would never shoot a man changing a tire.

Spend enough time on Pandora and it can change a person. Get tough or get dead.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How do I skip dialogue? I'm using an XBox controller.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Why would you want to skip the dialogue? If you're wanting to skip disalogue you should maybe find a different game.. there's really not much else.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

AirRaid posted:

Why would you want to skip the dialogue? If you're wanting to skip disalogue you should maybe find a different game.. there's really not much else.

If you're replaying a scene you've already been through it'd be nice

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I'm in the same boat, really. I love the game but sometimes I want to get to a certain point on a replay, especially if I did a game over and have to repeat a particular section over again.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Xanderkish posted:

I'm in the same boat, really. I love the game but sometimes I want to get to a certain point on a replay, especially if I did a game over and have to repeat a particular section over again.

Agreed. Like how you can skip dialogue in Phoenix Wright the second go round.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

AirRaid posted:

I wanted to do a different choice before the very first save for example; you have to rewatch the intro and everything. Etc etc as everybody pointed out. I guess there isn't a way.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
All choices for Episode Three.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Playing through episode 3 again, I still feel like there is a missed opportunity for a terrible funicular joke.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
This series is the Archer video game I always wanted.I hope it gets another season.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
The story feels like a great game of "Fiasco" set in the Borderlands universe. I just hope it turns out better than most Fiasco games do.

Is anybody else really jazzed that Fiona apparently has Sherlock Holmes-o-vision now?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I just remembered that the Sanctuary Vault Hunters are going to invade Helios after Athena tells them her story.

Ep 4 will own bones.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 25, 2015

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ep 4 this month! :woop:

https://twitter.com/jobjstauffer/status/628614330066403328

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

:getin:

Nice short gap between 3 and 4!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anyone feel like blowing up a space station?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Well we're now going to be as late in the Borderlands universe, chronologically speaking, as we've ever been. I... guess there's nothing stopping us from blowing it up?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Paladin posted:

Well we're now going to be as late in the Borderlands universe, chronologically speaking, as we've ever been. I... guess there's nothing stopping us from blowing it up?

Maya also talked about the BL2 guys going up to Helios in Tiny Tina's DLC. We're liable to run into one of them there, I'm going to guess either Axton or Salvatore since Zer0 has already showed up and Maya was completely neglected by her own game so why stop now?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't know if Axton will show up, the framing device for one of the DLCs in Pre-Sequel is him and Gaige coming back from off-planet at some point after Athena finishes her story and getting the cliffnotes of the story from that game.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Coolguye posted:

Maya also talked about the BL2 guys going up to Helios in Tiny Tina's DLC. We're liable to run into one of them there, I'm going to guess either Axton or Salvatore since Zer0 has already showed up and Maya was completely neglected by her own game so why stop now?

When I guessed that the mysterious person in the telltale game wearing a mask was Maya, it was only because I hoped she'd finally get to do something. :(

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Paladin posted:

When I guessed that the mysterious person in the telltale game wearing a mask was Maya, it was only because I hoped she'd finally get to do something. :(

In seriousness, I've been playing the game with a friend of mine, streaming our respective playthroughs to each other, and our working theory is that the Kidnapper is Maya as well. It's clear that we're familiar with the Kidnapper, and the only two people who have similar speech patterns to the Kidnapper are Lilith and Maya. The Kidnapper is very calm and quite articulate, and the latter in particular is fairly rare on Pandora. Lilith is pretty busy after BL2 since she takes primary leadership of Sanctuary, so Maya is our guess.

Tertiary guess is Zed, but he has up till now been just risk averse enough to not go out vault hunting, so it seems less likely.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Coolguye posted:

In seriousness, I've been playing the game with a friend of mine, streaming our respective playthroughs to each other, and our working theory is that the Kidnapper is Maya as well. It's clear that we're familiar with the Kidnapper, and the only two people who have similar speech patterns to the Kidnapper are Lilith and Maya. The Kidnapper is very calm and quite articulate, and the latter in particular is fairly rare on Pandora. Lilith is pretty busy after BL2 since she takes primary leadership of Sanctuary, so Maya is our guess.

Tertiary guess is Zed, but he has up till now been just risk averse enough to not go out vault hunting, so it seems less likely.

Comedy answer: Its Claptrap being controlled by Shadowtrap.

But episode 4 coming so soon is good news, I'm curious to see the real state of Helios post Jack, it was pretty awesome to visit in the Pre Sequel, probably the highlight of the game.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

I think it's Moxxi.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Ever since 2 introduced Helios I've had this image in my mind of jumping out of the exploding space station straight back to Pandora. Granted the effect will be less because it's not in first-person POV any more but I can still hope.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

mycot posted:

Ever since 2 introduced Helios I've had this image in my mind of jumping out of the exploding space station straight back to Pandora. Granted the effect will be less because it's not in first-person POV any more but I can still hope.

Uh, did you see the effect re-entry had on a container just hitting the moon? Now imagine that, with no container protecting you, with an actual atmosphere. I don't think there's a turtle shield big enough.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

AirRaid posted:

Uh, did you see the effect re-entry had on a container just hitting the moon? Now imagine that, with no container protecting you, with an actual atmosphere. I don't think there's a turtle shield big enough.

Falling doesn't give damage. :colbert:

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

quote:

Telltale Games ‏@telltalegames

'Tales from the @Borderlands' Episode 4 - 'ESCAPE PLAN BRAVO'
8/18 - PC/Mac, @PlayStation
8/19 - @Xbox
8/20 - Mobile

:siren: :getin: :siren:

InsertGenericName
Dec 13, 2011

"Ya see, bobby? Smoooooooth" - Hank hill.
Turns out the kidnapper was some guy whose car you robbed in a previous episode.

Oh, wait, wrong Telltale game.

Jubs posted:

I think it's Moxxi.

I think that's a good possibility, seeing as she is not averse to being a complete and utter bitch at times

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
turns out felix was a siren all along and also the kidnapper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I honestly believe the most likely outcome is that the kidnapper is Felix. Or a robot possessed by Handsome Jack.

• Locked thread