Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I think the most reasonable thing in the video was him asking her to put out her cigarette. If that was an unreasonable request in anyone's opinion, please tell me why.

Tbh smokers deserve to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I think the most reasonable thing in the video was him asking her to put out her cigarette. If that was an unreasonable request in anyone's opinion, please tell me why.

The stop was over. All she had to do was sign and she'd be on her way. But the officer just couldn't let her off that easy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Why shouldn't she be allowed to smoke a cig in her own car.

So long as she wasn't like blowing smoke in dude's face what's the harm?

mastershakeman posted:

Tbh smokers deserve to die

Though this is also true.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

nm posted:

No, but it is illegal to "delay" a cop, which is loving broad as poo poo, so it is best to just shut up, ask for a lawyer, and no consent to any searches.

Yeah, it's best to just let the police do what they want, worst case you get sexually assaulted in jail and your children have no mother for 3 days.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Apparently, that's not the case:

Link

That might not be the part of the encounter that violated agency procedures though....

They haven't really specified

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Apparently, that's not the case:

Link

Unless DPS has a more restrictive policy than the supreme court (very possible), they are probably disciplining him for being an unmitigated rear end in a top hat at the end of the traffic stop.
I think one thing that confuses people when lawyers post that somrthing is "legal" doesn't mean it is a best practice or sothing that should have been done. It is not illegal for a cop to be an rear end in a top hat within thr law, but it may be a violation of policy. Unfortunantly, rudeness means you ride a desk for a few weeka until people forget about you, thenbyou do a "how not to be an rear end in a top hat camp" then remember to cover your mic next time you start acting like a tool.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ElCondemn posted:

Yeah, it's best to just let the police do what they want, worst case you get sexually assaulted in jail and your children have no mother for 3 days.

Your mother is just as guilty of that outcome as the police. Grr bark police evil arooooo :nixon:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

nm posted:

Unless DPS has a more restrictive policy than the supreme court (very possible), they are probably disciplining him for being an unmitigated rear end in a top hat at the end of the traffic stop.
I think one thing that confuses people when lawyers post that somrthing is "legal" doesn't mean it is a best practice or sothing that should have been done. It is not illegal for a cop to be an rear end in a top hat within thr law, but it may be a violation of policy. Unfortunantly, rudeness means you ride a desk for a few weeka until people forget about you, thenbyou do a "how not to be an rear end in a top hat camp" then remember to cover your mic next time you start acting like a tool.

I figured as much (with respect to the how); I don't know about pinpointing the "why" until they release more information. I just figured that "policy" covered stuff that's not technically illegal. Similar to inter-office relationships or stuff like that; disciplinable but not breaking the law necessarily.

lapse posted:

That might not be the part of the encounter that violated agency procedures though....

They haven't really specified

Yeah, I just threw it up because it mentions the officer involved & said it had to do with the "stop", though I admit that word might include everything, like the transport & booking.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ElCondemn posted:

I'm not certain of your point. In what way would pissing off the cop made anything better?
I agree that pretrial detention is massively overused, but fighting with the cop makes it even worse.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nm posted:

I'm not certain of your point. In what way would pissing off the cop made anything better?
I agree that pretrial detention is massively overused, but fighting with the cop makes it even worse.

The point is "stop resisting and it might hurt less" isn't really productive commentary for those who are getting hurt even when they don't resist.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's not unreasonable to ask, it's unreasonable to get mad and then arrest her for not submitting to his authority.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

nm posted:

The cop demanding she put out her smoke was just a tactic to stir the pot. It was a trivial, irrelevant thing but it was easy to make her 'talk back' and refuse to make the situation appear more confrontational than it truly was. When someone feels they are being unfairly targeted or treated, the first thing they are going to do is reflexively deny that kind of authoritative poking.

"Pick up that can" Indeed.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 22, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Berk Berkly posted:

The cop demanding she put out her smoke was just a tactic to stir the pot. It was a trivial, irrelevant thing but it was easy to make her 'talk back' and refuse to make the situation appear more confrontational than it truly was.

"Pick up that can" Indeed

Especially at the end of the stop rather than at the beginning. That's pretty telling.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Dirk the Average posted:

Blaming the victim is an awful policy, and in many cases, you have the police murdering a civilian before they even have a chance to interact with them positively or negatively.

That's why people are calling you racist. In many circumstances, a white person will be an antagonistic rear end in a top hat to the police, even going to the point of drawing a gun or openly carrying a gun and not be killed for it. A black person will be killed on the flimsiest of pretenses regardless of how he or she acts.

Really? Lets look at the numbers..

Bureau of Justice Statistics posted:

WASHINGTON – From 2003 to 2009, a reported 4,813 persons died during or shortly after law enforcement personnel attempted to arrest or restrain them, the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) announced today. About 60 percent of arrest-related deaths (2,931) were classified as homicides by law enforcement personnel and 40 percent (1,882) were attributed to other manners of death.

Suicide and death by intoxication each accounted for about 11 percent of all reported arrest-related deaths, accidental injury for six percent and natural causes for five percent. A definitive manner of death was unknown for about six percent of deaths.

Of reported arrest-related deaths, 45 percent of persons allegedly engaged in assault immediately prior to or during the arrest. Arrests for alleged violent crimes were involved in three of every four reported homicides by law enforcement personnel. No criminal charges were intended to be filed (e.g., in cases of mental health or medical transport) against 163 persons or three percent of those who died.

Of reported persons who died during the process of arrest, 95 percent were male. About 42 percent were white, 32 percent were black/African American and 20 percent were Hispanic or Latino. More than half (55 percent) were between ages 25 and 44, and juveniles (persons under age 18) were about three percent of all arrest-related deaths.

read more

So the numbers don't back you up... but by all means.. Keep towing that line.

quote:

Blaming the victim for their behavior is bullshit. The onus is on the trained professional to properly handle the situation and not murder civilians out of spite.

I like this.

"Victim blaming" is a magic button for people who don't want to be held accountable for their actions. You want police to be accountable for their actions but the moment someone says citizens should be to, its victim blaming.

Ehhhhhh.... No. It isn't. Its exactly what it says. When you are interacting with the cops, they have a responsibility to act properly. So does a civilian.

Obdicut posted:

If you wanted to, you could engage with the substantive posts made that actually do think about the issue, but you prefer to bark and growl back at the ones that bark and growl.

For example, you never explained why you think it's good for a cop to slam someone's head into the ground when the person kicks the cop, if the cop could safely use a lower level of force. Care to engage with that? I'd note that most cops I know, not being nuts, would use whatever minimal level of force they could if they got kicked by a suspect, so this post isn't saying grr grr cops are bad grr.

Yes I did.

Its a scavenger hunt. Look back and read my posts, its there.

Dexo posted:

If you think there aren't racist cops you are deluding yourself. Like there have been studies and investigations that show that us African-Americans are disproportionately targeted by police officers on a macro scale.

I didn't say they weren't.

There is a huge issue not only with officers targeting african-americans, but there are laws themselves that are geared towards african-americans. This is the kind of thing I am trying to explain. And the point I am making. There are systemic problems that need to be addressed. They need to be identified, discussed and changed.

quote:

This doesn't mean on the individual level that every single Cop is racist, but guess what. Cops and Unions that don't stand up to and challenge what is essentially an unwritten rule of Omerta, on other cops who report brutality, or who help in investigations on other cops that do screw up and act outside of the law or with unreasonable force. Do nothing to help the communities they serve as all it does is keep those dangerous cops on the street to continue to do harm. This is for all cops, Black, White, Latino, etc etc.

If Cops actually started having to have some kind of accountability for brutality and outbursts(even better if it happens with those that don't get caught on tape and go viral), then it would happen less and those that would be a danger would at least have the thought that they aren't invincible so long as they are wearing that badge. And maybe try and deescalate a situation rather than blow it up because of a lack of "respect".

Any person who has ever had a public facing job has probably had to deal with some form of disrespect, but only police officers are allowed(if not explicitly than implicitly) to dole out "justice" to those that disrespect them.

Right.

There is a number of issues. Much like I said earlier, we agree that there is an issue with accountability.

Investigating, hell even the process of reporting issues needs to be addressed. Is this problem the process of reporting? Or enforcement of conduct polices. I'm not sure. Which is why it needs to be looked into.

It very well could be that per regulations of that unit that the officer did nothing wrong. Which means the regulations for that unit are a problem. Maybe it wasn't properly reported. Maybe it comes down to internal protection or CYA measures. It could be a failure at every stage mentioned. Obviously there is an issue somewhere. And as a society we need to address that/those issues.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

Genocide Tendency posted:

Great reply.

Lets not actually discuss my post. Lets fall back on calling someone racist because thinking is hard.

Fuckwit.

Hm yes, why would anybody get the idea that you're a racist, I wonder...

The last good thing to come out of Africa, wandered around the middle east for 40 years.

Ashes motherfucker.

And IDGAF what NI4 has to say about it. He's all cool in my book. But its time that entire continent face retribution for the new dark ages it is trying to drag us into. Between radical rag heads in the north, ebola/aids from monkey loving in central, and that god awful Invictus movie. We have justification.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

"Victim blaming" is a magic button for people who don't want to be held accountable for their actions. You want police to be accountable for their actions but the moment someone says citizens should be to, its victim blaming.

Ehhhhhh.... No. It isn't. Its exactly what it says. When you are interacting with the cops, they have a responsibility to act properly. So does a civilian.

Wrong, as a civilian I have no responsibility to treat police well. I can be mouthy and an rear end in a top hat to them and they have no right to dispense punishment for it.

Telling people to submit to police authority at all costs is stupid and authoritarian. Are you ok living in a country where people are afraid to disagree with police because they fear the repercussions? I suppose you're ok with it because all the rag heads and monkey fuckers are the ones who are forced to submit, not you or your kind.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Yes I did.

Its a scavenger hunt. Look back and read my posts, its there.

No, you didn't respond. You said the fatuous, stupid following:

quote:

Explain to me what makes you think responding in a non-physical way to someone kicking you is going to be effective?

I didn't, and I'm not, saying to respond in 'non-physical' way.

So, do you have an actual answer that makes any sense?

quote:

There is a huge issue not only with officers targeting african-americans, but there are laws themselves that are geared towards african-americans. This is the kind of thing I am trying to explain. And the point I am making. There are systemic problems that need to be addressed. They need to be identified, discussed and changed.

And people in this thread are talking about that, but instead of engaging with those posts, you whine instead. Why?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

Out of curiosity, is the only thing a cop can't do at a stop (without probable cause) is search the vehicle without consent?

Not even really that depending on circumstances. If you're the only person who can drive the car and in a state where any minor violation is arrestable, then they can even perform a search of the car minus probable cause.

If you want to search, but you somehow can't manufacture PC, then you just choose to arrest the driver. Since there's no one else who can take the car away, the decision to arrest lets you have the car impounded. When the car arrives at impound, an inventory search will be performed against the vehicle. Congratulations, there's your non-consensual vehicle search without having had to rely on PC.

When I was in college, I took a criminal justice class on civil liberties, and another student in the class was a cop from a podunk jurisdiction close to the school. Guy basically openly bragged about this loophole, and why you better just consent to searches if you'd like to avoid going to jail and having to get your car out of impound.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
A Civilian is (generally, being rich or having connections can bypass it somewhat) held accountable for their actions.

Two civilians bump into each other accidentially. One of them frustrated says something smart to the other person. The other person then proceeds to beat up person who made the statement. The dude doing the punching is going to be arrested and face trial for assault, thus seeing accountability.

Words have never ever ever been an excuse to lash out and attack someone else.

Meanwhile being frustrated and saying something smart to a cop as you are liable to get pulled out of your car and blamed for something you didn't do, such as assault or whatever to justify the arrest.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 22, 2015

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Useful Distraction posted:

Again:

Great reply.

Lets not actually discuss my post. Lets fall back on calling someone racist because thinking is hard.

Fuckwit.

ElCondemn posted:

Wrong, as a civilian I have no responsibility to treat police well. I can be mouthy and an rear end in a top hat to them and they have no right to dispense punishment for it.

Telling people to submit to police authority at all costs is stupid and authoritarian. Are you ok living in a country where people are afraid to disagree with police because they fear the repercussions?

Its not telling people to submit to authority at all costs, its expecting someone to not be a loving bag of cocks because "the man is keeping me down".

Do you have any idea what a cop is supposed to do? Do you actually understand their job? Its to keep the community safe. Its not an easy job, and when they are trying to enforce rules they need to conduct themselves in a manner fitting of someone charged with the protection of the community. Citizens on the other hand have the responsibility to be reasonable to someone trying to do their job.

Oh. I get it. Expecting people to act civilized is the problem here.

You know what. gently caress it. Cops should start shooting fuckers dead in the streets. For any perceived injustice. Why? Because if we should act like animals, we should be treated as such. Police reform is a joke, and anyone gunned down deserves it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Really? Lets look at the numbers..

read more

So the numbers don't back you up... but by all means.. Keep towing that line.

I like this.

Okay, so you just vomited a bunch of numbers at me, fantastic. If I'm reading this correctly, 45% of deaths during an arrest involved assault before or during the arrest, which I would assume is against the officer. What does that tell us about the 55% of cases where assault was not a factor? Furthermore, 6% of the deaths during arrest were accidental injuries. Back of the napkin math puts that at just shy of 300 people.

I'm not seeing where any of this disproves my point.

Also, for some strange reason, I hold the armed, armored, trained professional with backup to a significantly higher standard than the civilians that he or she interacts with. Insulting an officer is not a crime that should be punishable by death or the ruination of your life.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

nm posted:

Your perspective and insight are valuable to this thread. Sometimes it can rub people the wrong way when they're not seeing it from your point of view. Keeping your head down, being submissive, and acquiescing to authority when it's the authority whose out of line rankles folks. At the same time it's the best way to deal with those situations. So when technically legal things happen that would be enormously offensive to anyone suffering that same situation, people take offense to the kind of clinical lawyerly tone (sometimes unfairly in this thread, I think). i.e Sandra Bland not putting out her cigarette and suddenly going from "here's a warning" to "get out or I'm gonna light you up". Yeah technically legal (though shouldn't be at all without some probable cause).

There's a lot of reactionary posts/posters here that sometimes blow things out of proportion or take a mistaken understanding of what you or others might say because well, it's a bit of an emotional subject.

While I agree that pissing off a cop isn't going to make anything better. I'll also admit that I yelled at a cop (while otherwise perfectly compliant, and in hand-cuffs) because it was only while I was restrained he started warning me threateningly, repeatedly about falling down and loving my face up (coincidentally, I'm sure, after accusing me of being gay). So while you're right, it's a lovely situation to be in and not that easy to actually do.

e: To sum it up, please stick around even if you're getting pounced on a bit. I like ya.

hobotrashcanfires fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 22, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Useful Distraction posted:

Hahaha, I'm not sure why anybody's bothering at this point

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Again:

Its not telling people to submit to authority at all costs, its expecting someone to not be a loving bag of cocks because "the man is keeping me down".

Do you have any idea what a cop is supposed to do? Do you actually understand their job? Its to keep the community safe. Its not an easy job, and when they are trying to enforce rules they need to conduct themselves in a manner fitting of someone charged with the protection of the community. Citizens on the other hand have the responsibility to be reasonable to someone trying to do their job.

So you must be pretty pissed at the cop who arrested the woman after the lane change he provoked, right? Who ordered her to put out her cigarette, which has zero to do with the protection of the community?

quote:

You know what. gently caress it. Cops should start shooting fuckers dead in the streets. For any perceived injustice. Why? Because if we should act like animals, we should be treated as such. Police reform is a joke, and anyone gunned down deserves it.

You are so sensitive! :emo:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

My Only request to cops is don't escalate problems. Guess what if the Cop rather than losing his poo poo due to a slight disrespect had said, "Sorry Ma'am I'm just doing my job, handed her the ticket and walked away" none of this poo poo would have happened. She would have probably still been pissed, but she would be alive right now.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

DARPA posted:

The stop was over. All she had to do was sign and she'd be on her way. But the officer just couldn't let her off that easy.

So was it unreasonable for him to ask her to put it out? If so, why.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yes. Why would it be possibly reasonable to ask her to put out the cigarette?

Edit: Ask is okay, but it wasn't an ask, it was a demand.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 22, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

In a perfect world both sides should always deescalate situations. But like with most things the attempt for deescalation should always come from the person in a position of authority on their job.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Unreasonable to ask? Nope. poo poo he could loving ask for all kinds of things and it would probably ok. poo poo ask her out on a date for all I care.
Everything that happened after it. Yes.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 22, 2015

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's fine for him to ask, but she's under no obligation to do so. Further, if her answer is "no", he needs to just keep the stop moving forward, not get belligerent over her refusal.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yes, because it was a pointless flaunt of authority over a completely trivial thing. It was purely a jab into her personal space that he knew would illicit a reflexive denial and give the superficial veneer of confrontation.

If a friend asks you to put out a cig, sure thats reasonable.

If an authority figure demands you put out a cig or any other verbal pelvic thrust of their authority over you, its no longer 'reasonable' its now just baiting.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 22, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Given that the stop was over, it was unreasonable to ask

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Berk Berkly posted:

Yes, because it was a pointless flaunt of authority over a completely trivial thing. It was purely a jab into her personal space that he knew would illicit a reflexive denial and give the superficial veneer of confrontation.

If a friend asks you to put out a cig, sure thats reasonable.

If an authority figure demands you put out a cig or any other verbal pelvic thrust of their authority over you, its no longer 'reasonable' its now just baiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNd8iNx1gGk&t=5s

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

I like this.

Here's the problem, you are conflating two very different kinds of responsibility. You should be polite when dealing with cops because A) you should be polite to everyone and B) It is safer. But while being rude to a cop is unwise and a failure of manners, it is a completely different level of irresponsibility than demanding someone put out their cigarette, ordering them out of the car when they refuse, and then dragging them out of the car when they refuse to do that. Police are granted wide powers about using force during traffic stops as a matter of protection. Those powers should not be used to salve a cop's ego after being disrespected, and doing so is so much worse than rudeness that the two don't belong in the same sentence. While both parties could have behaved better, the cops failures were significantly more serious. More importantly, a claim that police officers can only be expected to do their jobs properly when the people they deal with are polite to them is self-evidently absurd.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Baltimore police are featuring a blackface performer (who used to be a cop before being fired for performing in blackface) at their fundraiser for the 6 cops indicted in Freddie Gray's death.

quote:

However, one of the planned performances for the evening tells a more interesting story. A number of "entertainers" are also advertised, including a few lounge singers and instrumentalists, and at the end of that list is "Bobby "Al Jolson" Berger-out of retirement."

According to The Baltimore Sun, Berger was dismissed from the Baltimore Police Department in 1984 due to his off-duty performances as the late Jolson, one of history's most well-known Blackface performers. His dismissal came after 3 years of tension between the officer and his employer due to his act, with both parties spending a decade in court as a result. Ultimately, Berger settled with the city in 1991.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Just to be clear, since the article isn't: the settlement referenced involved the city paying Berger for violating his First Amendment rights (by firing him for off-duty speech) and for retaliating against him after several courts decided that his rights had been violated and ordered his rehiring.

(That isn't cop-specific, by the way - government employees have free speech rights when they speak outside their employment, minus some very limited exceptions.)

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.
I'm sure most here remember the baby who had his face torn up by a flash bang grenade during a no knock raid. The person responsible for the bad info that 'justified' that raid is being charged.

quote:

Habersham deputy sheriff Nikki Autry, working with the multi-agency Mountain Judicial Circuit Narcotics Criminal and Suppression Team, was indicted on four counts of criminal civil rights violations, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office. "Without her false statements, there was no probable cause to search the premises for drugs or to make the arrest,” acting U.S. Attorney John Horn said Wednesday. “And in this case, the consequences of the unlawful search were tragic.”

That was a federal grand jury, by the way. Despite what I'm certain were the DA's best efforts a state grand jury voted not to indict back in October.

quote:

In October, a state grand jury called the drug investigation "hurried" and "sloppy," but found no criminal intent by any of the officers involved and declined to return any indictments. Autry resigned after the grand jury findings were released.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Again:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The uppity animals are the real problem, not the animals who murder and terrorize people.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
His name was genocide tendency. I mean come on. How he feels is in his own drat name.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

thefncrow posted:

Not even really that depending on circumstances. If you're the only person who can drive the car and in a state where any minor violation is arrestable, then they can even perform a search of the car minus probable cause.

If you want to search, but you somehow can't manufacture PC, then you just choose to arrest the driver. Since there's no one else who can take the car away, the decision to arrest lets you have the car impounded. When the car arrives at impound, an inventory search will be performed against the vehicle. Congratulations, there's your non-consensual vehicle search without having had to rely on PC.

When I was in college, I took a criminal justice class on civil liberties, and another student in the class was a cop from a podunk jurisdiction close to the school. Guy basically openly bragged about this loophole, and why you better just consent to searches if you'd like to avoid going to jail and having to get your car out of impound.

Good post. The cops are holding all the cards, the law is on their side, the courts are on their side. They know what they can and can't get away with.

I have been pulled over in Waller Co just outside Prairie View, (it was a deputy sheriff not DPS), and the officer was a total prick, like he was trying to push my buttons, I held my tongue and followed his instructions.

The tragedy is, a lady was pulled over for failure to signal and now she's dead. No matter who did what, that's a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Given that the stop was over, it was unreasonable to ask

This is the legally correct answer I think, but I'd say asking or demanding it was reasonable, but taking the stop further after the refusal to put out the cigarette is when we crossed into unconstitutional territory.

It's sad when a situation could end peaceable but tempers and egos get in the way. Mostly from the cop here.

• Locked thread