Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

sword_man.gif posted:

what a waste

buy coke, or potash and market board that since you need a bunch of coke for airships

Oh really? drat, I'll start going with that now. DGKK's company chest is full of coke so I assumed demand wasn't big for it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I wish I could watch more of these savage alex attempts. They were fun to watch for A2, "WHAT THE gently caress A WAVE OF 4 DOLLS!"

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

Oh really? drat, I'll start going with that now. DGKK's company chest is full of coke so I assumed demand wasn't big for it :v:

dgkk is a big guild, garlond steel and darksteel ingots are both used in a bunch of airship parts and take 9 coke per

obviously make sure to check this applies to your server

for ref on sargatanas tho you can get 20 coke and sell them on the mb for ~500gil/ea for 4000 seals as opposed to one moonstone for 4000 seals and vendoring it for 1.2k, it's nearly 10x as much money for the same amount of seals

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 22, 2015

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

I had my first go at Ravana EX last night, as a Monk, in a PF learning party. We got surprisingly far, squeaking past Final Liberation a couple of times (both times failing to break the following shell because one or more DPS hosed up said Final Liberation).

Got a question, Monks, how do you manage GL stacks, Perfect Balance, Tornado Kick, etc.? What I did yesterday was to save all of my cooldowns at the start of the fight, blow them except PB for Prelude (including a Forbidden Chakra and Tornado Kick), blow PB for Liberation, then just build back up manually just before/during Warlord's Shell.

Also do my DoTs deal damage to him while he's off trying to ram into and splatter people, or should I not even bother with Demolition/Touch of Death in Liberation phases?

I have generally been using everything in my opener, including FC while I have IR and B4B active. Any time he is about to become untargettable, starting with Prelude, use Tornado Kick just before you move to wherever you need to go to not get aced by the attack he's about to make. Spam Meditates any time you are not punching, then try to pair up FC with IR and or B4B before the next transition. If IR won't be up, use FC anyway so it isn't wasted. You won't need Purification for this fight.

Right as he starts the second Warlord Shell would be a good time to pop PB again. I keep forgetting to but it should be back by then.

If you haven't been already, use melee LB as he is charging up Swift Liberation since he takes more damage at that point.

Your real goal here is to land 5k Forbidden Chakras while dancing to the song of ringing steel.

I'm honestly not sure if he's one of the bosses that take dot damage while untargettable, but I kind of doubt it. I've never seen him fall over dead mid-Liberation at least.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 22, 2015

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

totally not 30 hours behind everyone else

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Remember that we are both huge and made an organized push to get people to contribute coke early on. There are plenty of 20-30 man FCs who are puttering around with airships.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

sword_man.gif posted:

dgkk is a big guild, garlond steel and darksteel ingots are both used in a bunch of airship parts and take 9 coke per

obviously make sure to check this applies to your server

for ref on sargatanas tho you can get 20 coke and sell them on the mb for ~500gil/ea for 4000 seals as opposed to one moonstone for 4000 seals and vendoring it for 1.2k, it's nearly 10x as much money for the same amount of seals

I'll have to see what the going rate for coke is on Excal when I get home, but I remember last time I checked GC items on the MB, they weren't priced too well. I may have not looked at coke, though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So what you're saying is I need to replace all the coke in the FC chest with baby imps and make a shiny penny?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I fully expect the first group to walk into A4S, and the tank and DPS report that Faust is in the time-out tube.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Thundarr posted:

I fully expect the first group to walk into A4S, and the tank and DPS report that Faust is in the time-out tube.

Please god no save me

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

ilifinicus posted:

:gitgud:

i probably won't clear it for another 8 hours :negative:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
How do I read the HP section of this? Because it's not correct.

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/R0E0

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My static has been sorta slowly dissolving since we got our T13 clear. I was really looking forward to not being horribly behind for once, but we're down to 5 people, 4 of whom are actually good, and 3 pugs. That's probably not going to even remotely cut it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
On the bright side, in 2 or so weeks it'll be a lot easier when everyone's rocking a 200 weapon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

How do I read the HP section of this? Because it's not correct.

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/R0E0

Ariyala is still using the level 50 values for VIT. It used to be about 13.6 HP per VIT, now it's around 20.5. So until they update, just divide by the former and multiply by the latter.

Eej posted:

On the bright side, in 2 or so weeks it'll be a lot easier when everyone's rocking a 200 weapon.

Yeah, you get +2 weapon damage going from 190 to 200, that's pretty huge.

Also paladins like me get to upgrade our weapons next week, eat it bitches.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

ilifinicus posted:

is there a new Hexalift equivalent

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Rei_ posted:

is there a new Hexalift equivalent
do you mean a lobby? yes there is

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Fister Roboto posted:

Also paladins like me get to upgrade our weapons next week, eat it bitches.

:argh: gently caress you!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

:argh: gently caress you!

Hey now don't feel bad, at the end of the day, they're still paladins.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Boten Anna posted:

Hey now don't feel bad, at the end of the day, they're still paladins.

*pops a 9k Clemency on u*

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

My static has been sorta slowly dissolving since we got our T13 clear. I was really looking forward to not being horribly behind for once, but we're down to 5 people, 4 of whom are actually good, and 3 pugs. That's probably not going to even remotely cut it.

This is kind of what's happening to the group my friends formed last year. Got about 4-6 of us who are consistently on, and have to pug the rest to attempt stuff. One of them's probably just leaving to another static he got invited to too.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Earlier in the thread, someone said that due to the PS3's hardware limitations it's unlikely that FFXIV will add a "Stagger Tank". Could someone explain what that is?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Earlier in the thread, someone said that due to the PS3's hardware limitations it's unlikely that FFXIV will add a "Stagger Tank". Could someone explain what that is?

Monk tanks in WOW had a stagger mechanic that basically converted a certain amount of incoming damage into damage over time, thus making their damage profile a lot less spiky. Not sure what hardware limitations have to do with that though.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

If it's what I'm thinking of, it's similar to a Monk in WoW. Essentially, you take a big hit but only some of the damage is taken up front. The rest is applied as a dot of some kind that spreads the damage out over a period of time. It results in lower burst damage and a more constant damage taken, and in the Monk's case there was also a cooldown that would shrug off the built up stagger damage.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

Monk tanks in WOW had a stagger mechanic that basically converted a certain amount of incoming damage into damage over time, thus making their damage profile a lot less spiky. Not sure what hardware limitations have to do with that though.

"server limitations/strain" is basically the "I've got a headache" of excuses

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

If a tool tip says that a damage-over-time effect has a potency of 'X', does that mean the total damage over time is the equivalent of an attack with that potency, or that the DOT does an attack of X potency for each tic?

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

SirPhoebos posted:

the DOT does an attack of X potency for each tic

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

SirPhoebos posted:

If a tool tip says that a damage-over-time effect has a potency of 'X', does that mean the total damage over time is the equivalent of an attack with that potency, or that the DOT does an attack of X potency for each tic?

X per tic. Divide the duration by 3, and multiply by X for total dot potency.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
To be fair, the entirety of the game is pretty much built off the cannibalized hellscape of 1.0's backend and is held together with the dead bodies of hundreds of interns because they rebuilt the entire game in like a one year period with no budget. The fact that the game is stable and runs as well as it does is pretty much a miracle.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I love

How you can put all this time and effort and pain to get just a little bit further in A2S

And there's always more

And it's always terrible

It just... never ends

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

Since that was me, there's a thing in WoW for Brewmaster Monks where there's a bar that fills up with I think 20% of damage taken that converts that damage into a dot, along with accompanying cooldowns to dump the bar and such. There's a bar that shows stagger amount, with color coding, and indicators that show up for the whole party for every brewmaster monk in the party.

They can't even find the extra UI power on the PS3 to show everyone's TP, so I doubt they could do this on the PS3 at all. The only way it'd work now is if they only used debuffs to indicate how full an invisible stagger bar is and that would be awkward and low-rent. It makes me wonder if they're holding back on some new classes until they have more leeway with adding UI widgets.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
it's a buff icon that changes colors.

that's it.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
I've been watching streams of this game after playing a bit of the trial and holy poo poo buttons. Seems like everyone has 36-48 buttons bound to hotkeys and it looks like they are using all of them. Is that common? How many buttons do you end up having to use regularly in combat?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Fracture: 20 potency
Duration: 18s
Total potency: 120

Hahahahaha, that is awful. All thought its not too bad for those people who don't bother to use positionals.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

goddamn thats memory intensive

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bazanga posted:

I've been watching streams of this game after playing a bit of the trial and holy poo poo buttons. Seems like everyone has 36-48 buttons bound to hotkeys and it looks like they are using all of them. Is that common? How many buttons do you end up having to use regularly in combat?

On my dragoon I have 3 full rows of hotbars filled up. There is one button I never use (feint), a couple of markers and pots that get rarely used, and the rest get used frequently. Just operating the base combo now I have 10 GCD skills that I cycle through for single target and two aoe GCDs with 6 or 7 buffs and 5 off GCD skills damage skills, a positional skill, and 3-4 defensive skills.

It's really not that complicated and the GCD is long enough that you have reaction time to do things, so once you're used to something it's easy. It may seem daunting but every class has a flow that is pretty easy to figure out and execute.

Spoz
May 25, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Fracture: 20 potency
Duration: 18s
Total potency: 120

Hahahahaha, that is awful. All thought its not too bad for those people who don't bother to use positionals.

Might wanna double check that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bazanga posted:

As a level 60 SMN I use 36 different keybinds.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Spoz posted:

Might wanna double check that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Fracture is an attack with 100 potency.

The total is 220.

For comparison, ToD is 270.