Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Allowing deck changes between rounds should be funny. I'd expect the top tables to be homogenized by 4 rounds or so. Lannister+something looks solid to me for now, their cards are all really good in a format where you can't bank on drawing particular fiddly combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I've been thinking about grabbing an LCG for my birthday, to play with friends and whatnot. I saw that the game of thrones one was getting a new release soon, so I'm probably not gonna buy it right now.

The two that interested me the most were the Lord of the Rings one and Netrunner. Which one would you recommend for someone who basically plays no board games? My friends and I play Dominion sporadically, and we've played Ticket to Ride like... once, but that's it.

The cooperative concept in the LOTR game is really appealing to me personally, and it has less stuff than Netrunner so it'd be easier to catch up if I end up liking it that much, right?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

KoldPT posted:

I've been thinking about grabbing an LCG for my birthday, to play with friends and whatnot. I saw that the game of thrones one was getting a new release soon, so I'm probably not gonna buy it right now.

The two that interested me the most were the Lord of the Rings one and Netrunner. Which one would you recommend for someone who basically plays no board games? My friends and I play Dominion sporadically, and we've played Ticket to Ride like... once, but that's it.

The cooperative concept in the LOTR game is really appealing to me personally, and it has less stuff than Netrunner so it'd be easier to catch up if I end up liking it that much, right?

LOTR is best for newbies. It's cooperative, so even if you just get a core, you're not really losing any sort of "competitive edge" (although the scenarios will likely be way harder than they would otherwise be). The expansions are likewise less essential as a result. Netrunner is probably the gameriest of the LCGs, despite having kinda lovely competitive support (i.e., slow FAQs and [unofficial] rulings buried under tweets, etc.).

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Lotr is the safest investment since the "meta" can never die

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Is anyone else reading the Kingslayer Tournament rules as allowed 50 card decks?

FFG posted:

Kingslayer Deckbuilding Rules

To build a deck for this tournament, a player selects the following:

A plot deck of seven plot cards. A second copy of a single plot card may be chosen if more than one copy of that plot card exists in the Core Set.

All of the cards from any two factions. A player’s faction choices are indicated by using the faction card from both of the chosen factions. Agenda cards, such as the Banner agendas, are not used for this event. Each of the twenty Core Set cards, both loyal and non-loyal, from both of the chosen factions must be included in the player’s deck.

A minimum of ten neutral cards. For neutral cards that appear more than three times in the Core Set, no more than three copies of the card may be included in a deck.

Plot choices, faction choices, and/or neutral card choices may be adjusted between each round of the event, as long as players are ready to begin play at the start of the next round. A player who is happy with his or her deck is not required to adjust his or her deck between rounds.

If so, I assume you should play 50 cards no matter what faction combo you're rolling with in order to maximize your odds of drawing your unique power houses

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Azran posted:

Ah, I see. I didn't knew how you'd get 56 different factions combinations considering there were only 7 factions. :downs:

The important part to note is that you only get to choose 1 Agenda. The Agendas that let you ally are handy, should become less and less common as the game ages. There were so many deck defining Agendas in 1st Edition, I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't be the case again.

Also, I'd much rather use

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I think we'll also see new agendas that play with deck building restrictions in interesting ways, like that new Orc Warlord for Conquest. Maybe something similar to the old Knights of the Realm Agenda, but it lets you play non-loyal Knight Characters from any faction. I'm sure we'll see something with Maesters at some point, too.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

So with the restriction of if a named character dies you can't play that named character again, does GoT have less use for 3-of in deck building?

Or are the good cards less the named guys and more the generic guys you can have three of in play at once?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

MisterShine posted:

So with the restriction of if a named character dies you can't play that named character again, does GoT have less use for 3-of in deck building?

Or are the good cards less the named guys and more the generic guys you can have three of in play at once?

You can use dupes to give a sort of extra life to uniques which helps mitigate the dead-guy issue.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

But that requires it in hand I would assume?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

MisterShine posted:

But that requires it in hand I would assume?

You play it as a sort of "armour" for that character. Any dupe uniques you draw after a character enters the dead pile is wasted though.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Alright. I'll see how viable core X1 is I think. This looks like my netrunner replacement

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

KoldPT posted:

Lord of the Rings.

Any of the competitive LCGs require at least 2 players to get equally invested or it won't be any fun for one of them. LotR also has the advantage that you don't need to jump in hard. A single or pair of core sets will give you plenty of challenge for a while, particularly if you only play sporadically.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

From what I hear, 1x uniques was the predominant strategy in AGOT1e. I don't know the exact reason for it besides eliminating dead draws from characters in the dead pile, but I'm sure the existence of Valar Morghulis was a factor as well. Here's hoping they don't reprint that as it was, since it sounded like it was super degenerate.

Edit: Does anyone have a good IG deck for Conquest? I feel like experimenting.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 23, 2015

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Lots of amazing spoilers for the next saga box!
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/23/trapped-in-the-land-of-shadow/
Another hero Faramir!
Trap decks?!?!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

From what I hear, 1x uniques was the predominant strategy in AGOT1e. I don't know the exact reason for it besides eliminating dead draws from characters in the dead pile, but I'm sure the existence of Valar Morghulis was a factor as well. Here's hoping they don't reprint that as it was, since it sounded like it was super degenerate.

Mostly it was because most unique characters weren't really worth playing, especially with how easy it was to kill them. Given that it's not in the Core, I don't think we're seeing Valar Morghulis again, though we'll still have to deal with Wildfire Assault.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GrandpaPants posted:

Edit: Does anyone have a good IG deck for Conquest? I feel like experimenting.

Mook swarm Coteaz is a lot of fun. Lots and lots of very potent 2 cost or less cards to sacrifice and ambush in with the IG support, access to ammo depot and you could even do sick Elysian Assault Team recursion with The Emperor Protects. Also one of the decks where the 3 cost draw-on-death Acolyte is potentially useful (the latest FAQ sounds like you can even have that one leave play, trigger the card draw, then Emperor Protects it back to your hand). Really depends on where you want your draw to come from.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ChiTownEddie posted:

Lots of amazing spoilers for the next saga box!
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/23/trapped-in-the-land-of-shadow/
Another hero Faramir!
Trap decks?!?!

I want so bad for a Gondorian Ranger deck to be viable, I hope this box does the trick.

Cardboard of the rings spoiled a card for the third pack of this cycle the other day: https://www.facebook.com/CardboardOfTheRings/photos/p.972151196139006/972151196139006/?type=1&permPage=1

That art! Magali! :swoon:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If Magali did every card in the game from now on, it would be better for it. poo poo is amazing.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Kingslayer Tournament thoughts:

Baratheon: Don't look particularly standout, also we don't know how many R'hollor cards they'll have as they're the faction we have the fewest spoilers for. They don't have much in the way of heavy hitter or buffing. Just Robert assuming you have a bunch of kneeling opponents. I guess you'd want to play the 2nd so you have maximum kneeling opponents. Maybe pair with Targs since they also want to go second?

Greyjoy: Seem legit. Aeron is probably a beast in a format with no dupes. A ton of stealth seems pretty useful as well. They really want to go first though, so no Targs. Maybe Lannister or Tyrell?

Lannister: Great all around faction. Plenty of solid bodies, great economy,

Martell: They're playing this longer control game, and I think the'll probably suffer from not having multiple copies of the cards that make that strategy work (Doran's Game). The Red Viper is a Beast, but without him, it seems kind of lack luster in this format.

Night's Watch: Jon is crazy strong. The Old bear may be a little harder to get value out of in a singleton format. With Castle Black and Old Bear they probably also want to go second which could pair with Baratheon or Targs, I guess.

Stark: We actually have all of their cards spoiled. Ice is on of the few reusable kill cards in the core set, and you also have Greywind. They have a little bit of card cost reduction though it's all focused on in faction cards. Very martial challenge oriented. Probably want to be going first.

Targaryen: Dany is really strong. Drogo also seems like he's packing a really powerful ability, and with Dracarys and Plaza of Punishment clearing out the chaff, you could be killing real characters pretty quickly. Solid faction.

Tyrell: Best buffing in the game. Solid attacking in Randyll Tarley and Loros. If Olenna gets in once that's a pretty solid pay off if you can drop a 4-5 cost card. In a singleton format, The Bear and the Maiden fair actually seem pretty good if you can put 2 or so strong characters on the bottom of their deck.

EDIT: Kind of thinking about Starks and Tyrells. The Starks have a lot of reusable kill, the Tyrells cover their intrigue shortcomings and can buff them enough to win the martial challenge. I 'm thinking you just try to hit them hard early in martial and winnow down their characters before closing out in the mid game.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 24, 2015

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Is martell grey joy the dumbest plan possible?

Cause I really want to

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

MisterShine posted:

Is martell grey joy the dumbest plan possible?

Cause I really want to

It seems like bad synergy to me because Greyjoy want to go first and be aggressive and Martell seem to want to play the long game. Greyjoy ware trying to capitalize on turns 1-4 while Martell are more interested in 4-6.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

From what I was looking at a lot of the Martel buffs seem based on the turn itself rather than "you've been on the field x turns". So theoretically you could start greyjoying and finish off Martel

But I haven't got that firm a grasp on the rules yet, they're just my favourite two houses.

Plus I love jank

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I'm not able to play in the GenCon tournament(s) due to working at the show, but I'm planning on buying 3x core sets, and if anyone tries to tell me that my inevitable "Wardens of the North" Stark/Night's Watch deck is going to be bad, I'm going to stick my fingers in my ears and yell really loud. And then probably lose games.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

In the game of thrones you win or you jank

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

tomdidiot posted:

W:I was a good game, though it had broken poo poo. It's the most Magicky of all the LCGs. Conquest I'd love to get into, but it seems to snowball horrifically.

Conquest doesn't really snowball very much in games between two advanced players, barring god hand vs. awful hand scenarios (and even many of these are recoverable with the right planet layout). However, it's easy for newcomers to make mistakes that amplify this tendency. I consider it a similar (though less severe) version of the Doomtown turn 1 shootout problem - something that can be awkward in early games but basically goes away once you get more experienced.

In fact, just yesterday I won a game where I lost four out of five command struggles on two out of three turns. The way that committing your warlord works fundamentally allows for strong comebacks as part of the core mechanics.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The venomthrope polluter synapse creature was spoiled http://thetacticalsquad.com/2015/07/26/the-great-devourer-spoiler-venomthrope-polluter/

FFG has pretty good spoiler control it seems, since neither Game of Thrones or tyranids are fully spoiled yet.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Probably a much smaller playtester pool than Netrunner as well

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

GrandpaPants posted:

The venomthrope polluter synapse creature was spoiled http://thetacticalsquad.com/2015/07/26/the-great-devourer-spoiler-venomthrope-polluter/

FFG has pretty good spoiler control it seems, since neither Game of Thrones or tyranids are fully spoiled yet.

Venomthrope Polluter seems very interesting and tactical. It has an icon of its own and lets you move a unit before command struggles are complete, so it should be possible to snipe command struggles with this guy. I could see this working well with Old One Eye, since you could send Old One Eye to bully a planet, then move another unit at that planet to the Venomthrope's location to snipe command/set up for later. It also seems really good with the Swarmlord's signature unit, since you could pull that unit to a planet after it comes in from HQ exhausted, and its ability would still function to buff any Termagants you might have there.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Give it 4 days.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Carteret posted:

Give it 4 days.

Well it's out once GenCon starts, so that's not really a spoiler control issue

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Not tyranids: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/27/against-the-ravening-horde/

Edit: Subdual is pretty harsh control. Repair Bay seems like it's going to put a Drone/Pilot back on top of the deck?

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 27, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Wife and I have started playing LOTR. We've only got the core set.
Just got through Journey Along The Anduin with two decks built from the core set (with some help from Beorn's page). Despite some rather unfortunate draws, we survived.
Very first encounter deck draw in setup revealed the Marsh Adder and Goblin Sniper. Goblin Sniper stayed in the staging area for way more turns than I'd like to admit, popping one damage per turn on our heroes.
Fortunately, I drew a Forest Snare riiiiight as we broke 30 threat and would have had to engage Hill Troll. 4 turns later, the other Hill Troll showed up (and I drew my second snare too, phew!)

Some ups and downs throughout, but pretty solid progress. At about threat level 36, we're about to complete quest 2. We've got a bunch of allies on the table, and the heroes are a little beat up but holding on.
Then juuuuuust as we were about to complete the 2nd quest card and move on to the third quest, we drew all three copies of Evil Storm. We had the ability to cancel one of them, but had to place 2 damage on every character on the board. It wiped 11 allies and 3 heroes :suicide:

Then we had 3 heroes and 2 surviving allies between the two of us during the ambush phase. Ended up surviving due to a lucky Gandalf + Sneak Attack play, but wow it was close.
Very exciting game. Would recommend :v:

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Subdual seems somewhat unappealing to me at first glance. For that price I want the target dead (or maybe at the bottom of their deck). Sure, sometimes it chokes them, but it doesn't sufficiently counter cards like Khymera Den - just delays them for a turn. Maybe delay is all you need though? Hard to say.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Second AGOT pack announced, although drat they really like to hide those Greyjoy cards. Wardens of the West seems loving brutal though, goddamn.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Second AGOT pack announced, although drat they really like to hide those Greyjoy cards. Wardens of the West seems loving brutal though, goddamn.

I'm sure The Reader will be a reprint essentially. He's a great card, but not broken like Meera was, and he will be huge for Greyjoy.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

MisterShine posted:

Probably a much smaller playtester pool than Netrunner as well

AGoT 2nd edition has the largest playtest group ever done by FFG per Nate French, so it can't be the playtest group being small.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Rusty Kettle posted:

Pro: Those kinds of agendas lead to thematic decks and reward deck building within a faction. It 'punishes' banner decks as they won't have an additional ability.

Con: There will be at least one card (likely more) that are literally unplayable without buying another core. I was planning on getting three eventually anyway, but I can see how people could be upset about it.

Buying multiple cores is something that's a given for competitive players. If you are a wanting to play in competitive way, or if you want to play consistently performing decks then you will want to buy 3x core sets. If you're casual and just want a 'board game experience' with some friends or casual gamers, then you should be happy with this situation as well.

As a competitive player you'll be happy that they have maximized the number of unique cards so that the card pool at the start of the game is as large as possible. The alternatively could have made a HUGE box with 3x all the cards and 6x or 9x certain neutral cards, but of course the cost would be 3x the core set. But that would hurt the casual player, or someone who might be curious and 'just wants to try it' before getting in all the way.

As a casual player you'll be happy that they have maximized the number of factions in the core set to give you the largest possible taste/flavor of gameplay from just one box.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Mostly it was because most unique characters weren't really worth playing, especially with how easy it was to kill them. Given that it's not in the Core, I don't think we're seeing Valar Morghulis again, though we'll still have to deal with Wildfire Assault.

I'd be shocked if one of the box sets upcoming don't include Valar. It would be crazy overpowered in this early game situation, but as the game gets more and more robust with more characters and ways to recur, cheat death etc, valar will be an important mechanic. It isn't degenerate, or at least it wasn't. It's a way of increasing the value of the intrigue challenge. With the reserve value artificially keeping hand sizes smaller though, I'm not sure what that does to the balance of the various challenges.

With no valar and the reserve limit on plots, it seems like Mil challenges are much stronger than they used to be.

tijag fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 30, 2015

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Is anyone else stoked for Vs coming back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Oooo syrio forel. Probably going to be stark? Is there a neutral faction that he could maybe slide into?