Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Michaellaneous posted:

Eonwe actually not shitposting but making good content?

its uncharted territory and it scares me as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
i dont like it, no sir I do not.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I don't understand why they thought any of this was a good idea. Is it the forums? Are they stuck in an echo chamber of bad ideas? Why would you look at a perfectly functional system and go "this needs to have at least 50% more tedium"?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Michaellaneous posted:

Eonwe actually not shitposting but making good content?

eonwe is always making good content

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

NotALizardman posted:

I don't understand why they thought any of this was a good idea. Is it the forums? Are they stuck in an echo chamber of bad ideas? Why would you look at a perfectly functional system and go "this needs to have at least 50% more tedium"?

even the SA thread used to have retards demadning more tedious bullshit

i clearly remember a long argument when someone said that having your inventory cluttered with 100000 stacks of differently colored dirt is dumb and there should some sort of a generic block with pickable color, and then a giant raging autist ran in and started screaming about casuals

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RottenK posted:

a giant raging autist ran in and started screaming about casuals

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I still wish that you could turn any block into pixels, and make any block from pixels. At the start I thought that's what the system was gonna be, I thought that mining and gathering materials would be way more streamlined and convenient. :smith:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

I still wish that you could turn any block into pixels, and make any block from pixels. At the start I thought that's what the system was gonna be, I thought that mining and gathering materials would be way more streamlined and convenient. :smith:

That's what I thought it was also, and it seemed cool, a way to reward mining anything anywhere

How long would this thread be if all suggestions were deleted and people were banned from suggesting improvements to starbound?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

NotALizardman posted:

I think they just get whims and they don't have any collegues that say anything other than 'Yeah man, go for it!'

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

RottenK posted:

i clearly remember a long argument when someone said that having your inventory cluttered with 100000 stacks of differently colored dirt is dumb and there should some sort of a generic block with pickable color,
Yup that was me

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

NotALizardman posted:

90% of the comments section adores the farming mechanics and/or are suggesting layering even more stuff on top.

Have one such comment that wasn't pasted above.

quote:

My advice to all those who hate farming and any perceived tedium... don't. Don't build houses, don't plant crops, don't collect things, don't expand your ships, don't collect outfits. Maybe don't play SB at all, because you're on your way to burning through all content in a matter of hours, then complaining there's nothing to do.

My only problems with 1,000 individual piles of dirt was because the exact same shade of dirt/sand would require different stacks if it came from a different planet. "Sorry, that Blue #4 sand can't stack with this other Blue #4 sand."

Having an obsessive inventory full of all the shades of dirt and sand and rock or whatever is one thing, let's make some sand art for the foundation of my space house! But when even the exact same color of dirt can't stack with itself because reasons, then yeah it's a problem.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 23, 2015

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

"Don't play starbound" is pretty good advice to be fair.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

NotALizardman posted:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

NotALizardman posted:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

NotALizardman posted:

Edit: vvv what he said.

mutata fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 23, 2015

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
starbound is wonderful please buy it

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NotALizardman posted:

Doctor Schnabel posted:

starbound is wonderful please buy it

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

NotALizardman posted:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

NotALizardman posted:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Starbound is, in my book, easily equal in its folly and lack of direction as most phone played shovel-ware. It would have been more aptly (and honestly) titled "Trashbound: poo poo Game: Baby Edition".

It is a drat shame that the Chucklefish office wasnt included in Hatred.

I would fight anyone in that company photo, and I could confidently win. I could beat up Chucklefish.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dandywalken posted:

Starbound is, in my book, easily equal in its folly and lack of direction as most phone played shovel-ware. It would have been more aptly (and honestly) titled "Trashbound: poo poo Game: Baby Edition".

I would fight anyone in that company photo, and I could confidently win. I could beat up Chucklefish.

You seem like a cool fellow who certainly is very mellow.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Afraid of Audio posted:

You seem like a cool fellow who certainly is very mellow.

I am very sorry, this game just gets to me. I was one of four friends who bought it, and one of them couldnt get it to run at all. As a result, I feel like I'm carrying an extra 25% load of dissatisfaction when I would play.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Welp, guess i'm glad i just learned how to make 'hydroponic growing medium' with one of my mods. This game seems unfuckingplayable without them. :argh:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dandywalken posted:

male power fantasy

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This game is fart.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

QUACKTASTIC posted:

This game is fart.

Nice!

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Look if you're going to require watering plants you're going to need to do a plumbing system too so you can have indoor and underground farming with tanks and pipes and sprinklers and gently caress it's just going to get worse it's just going to keep happening gently caress poo poo.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Junkfist posted:

Look if you're going to require watering plants you're going to need to do a plumbing system too so you can have indoor and underground farming with tanks and pipes and sprinklers and gently caress it's just going to get worse it's just going to keep happening gently caress poo poo.

One day, a Goon will post a picture of their indoor gardening setup in a game that isnt this one. And he'll ask why his plants arent growing. Nobody will know, a Goon asks for a bigger screenshot. Then, it'll be revealed that the original poster's water cistern was directly below a toxic sewage deposit, and the whole water supply was being tainted and thus unusable to grow life. An argument breaks out, when yet another Goon shows a pic from their game in which a very similar setup leads to a water deposit that does indeed foster life: A single orange fish, who's only interaction is emitting a strange giggle when contact is made. It is quickly named "poo poo Fish".

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Starbound: Still playing? Alpaca bowl for you, you're gonna need it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if you're going to rag on chucklefish please at least try to be funny thanks in advance

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Babe Magnet posted:

if you're going to rag on chucklefish please at least try to be funny thanks in advance

69 pages worth of posts run counter to this advice already though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

probably closer to 66 or 67, there's been a few gems in this ol' turd pile

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Blhue posted:

69 pages worth of posts run counter to this advice already though.

It's never too late to change.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

This is the Starbound thread, any changes would only make the thread worse.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

In today's Starbound thread news, posts now need laughter to reply, and flat out won't appear without them. About every stage's worth of wit must be reapplied, in addition to the normal time required for the joke to refine. The only things that can make goons laugh are ridiculously convoluted starbound mechanics and Eonwe posts that look hard to aim. In addition, the process can't be automated in any way whatsoever, and trying to make meta jokes to speed up the process breaks the humor returning only shitposts, regardless of growth state.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
This seems alright.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

superstepa posted:

This seems alright.

Keep in mind the statement about prices being placeholder. That never bodes well :(

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dandywalken posted:

Keep in mind the statement about prices being placeholder. That never bodes well :(

Well, refining a gold bar is only worth 50 pixels, so clearly four times as much is too cheap-

Wait, Wiki says it's 15 pixels for refining a Gold Bar now? Really? That's not even enough for a single Not Lego brick from your portable printer :doh:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Section Z posted:

90% of the comments section adores the farming mechanics and/or are suggesting layering even more stuff on top.

Have one such comment that wasn't pasted above.

My only problems with 1,000 individual piles of dirt was because the exact same shade of dirt/sand would require different stacks if it came from a different planet. "Sorry, that Blue #4 sand can't stack with this other Blue #4 sand."

Having an obsessive inventory full of all the shades of dirt and sand and rock or whatever is one thing, let's make some sand art for the foundation of my space house! But when even the exact same color of dirt can't stack with itself because reasons, then yeah it's a problem.

Starbound: 50 Shades Of Dirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Honest opinion Starbound's only hope now is to throw off all the locks and gates and just go balls to the wall crazy. Untie and unfetter all the restrictions, all the random pool limitations, all the double-checks that prevent us from getting incredibly bizarre aliens and weird mismatched trees and guns and swords that actually look cool and do wild things. Take off all those dumb limits you intentionally coded in to make the game 'balanced' and boring and just loving set it loose.
Go crazy or don't go at all.

Section Z posted:

Well, refining a gold bar is only worth 50 pixels, so clearly four times as much is too cheap-

Wait, Wiki says it's 15 pixels for refining a Gold Bar now? Really? That's not even enough for a single Not Lego brick from your portable printer :doh:
In a game ostensibly/partially about building, with so many blocks and tiles that are actually pretty good looking, why do they have such a hard time letting you actually have those materials to build with?
Why can't we just have these things so we can build.

• Locked thread