Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

My normal grocery store had nothing but garbage, but after a trip to the local Vietnamese market I got a few tubs of Mae Ploy, a giant bottle of Squid fish sauce, and a $2 clump of basil the size of my head. Made a really basic yellow chicken curry last night and it was very easy and tasted pretty good - definitely going into our weeknight rotation.

Does anyone have some good online resources for Thai recipes? I found http://www.templeofthai.com to have some good basic recipes, but I was wondering if people know of other websites to look at.

Try highheelgourmet.com it's a little lifestyle bloggy, but the recipes are cool and well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Does anyone have some good online resources for Thai recipes? I found http://www.templeofthai.com to have some good basic recipes, but I was wondering if people know of other websites to look at.
These are pretty good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

My normal grocery store had nothing but garbage, but after a trip to the local Vietnamese market I got a few tubs of Mae Ploy, a giant bottle of Squid fish sauce, and a $2 clump of basil the size of my head. Made a really basic yellow chicken curry last night and it was very easy and tasted pretty good - definitely going into our weeknight rotation.

'She simmers' is another good blog

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Except for SubG. He cares. He cares a lot.
That's not what a post looks like when I care a lot. The only person I really care about making that mistake is loving Myhrvold, because he ought to know better (or at least have a better editor), and him getting it wrong in Modernist Cuisine has guaranteed that the error will be repeated for years to come.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

paraquat posted:

if you're not a vegetarian, I'd definitely serve that with a nice pork chop

Good call, pork and honey roasted eggplant sound like they'd be good friends.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Just wanted to say thanks for this. :tipshat:

Made a pair of these in a 6-quart dutch oven last night and it was probably the best chicken dish I've made/had in a couple of years (and Babby's First "Roast A Whole Chicken"). Had 7 guests and they all gushed over it, good times.

That recipe tastes fantastic and is really pretty low effort, which is great because whole roasters are $1/lb at Costco. Gonna eat this a lot.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Teeter posted:

In person, I've seen a ton of flavors at the large booze stores such as Total Wine or Bevmo if you happen to be around either of those.

I have never heard of a total wine so thanks :D The bevmo's around here no longer carry the kiwi, ginger, and grenadine I want.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Does pasta salad handle freezing well? Pasta, ham, sour cream and some bell peppers being the planned primary constituents.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Hawgh posted:

Does pasta salad handle freezing well? Pasta, ham, sour cream and some bell peppers being the planned primary constituents.

Nope.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Last weekend I made an impulse buy and took home a brand new pressure cooker. Does anyone have any good recipe suggestions to break it in with? I've heard it's great for beans.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

lifts cats over head posted:

Last weekend I made an impulse buy and took home a brand new pressure cooker. Does anyone have any good recipe suggestions to break it in with? I've heard it's great for beans.

1 lb. Chuck beef cut into bite sized chunks.
2 Large onions halved and sliced about 1 cm thick.
1 lb. White mushrooms, cleaned and sliced.
1 lb. Potatoes, fingerlings or some other waxy variety, cleaned and cut into bite sized chunks but unpeeled.
1/2 lb. Carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks.
1 head of garlic, cloves separated and peeled but whole.
1 Tbsp grated ginger.
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar.
1 Tbsp sugar.
1/2 cup soy sauce.
2 Bay leaves, dried.
Enough beef stock to cover ingredients by 1 inch, about 4 cups.
2 Tbsp flour combined with some of the stock to create a slurry.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Lightly salt the beef and brown it well in stages with some vegetable oil in the pressure cooker pot, then put the beef aside. Add potatoes and carrots to the pot, browning them in stages, then put them aside. Add the onions, mushrooms and garlic to the pot and cook them until the onions have gone slightly soft. Add the soy sauce, scraping anything left stuck to the bottom of the pot off. Add the vinegar, sugar, ginger and bay leaves and gently stir everything together. Add the beef, potatoes and carrots back in, pour beef stock over to cover by 1 inch, add flour/stock slurry and stir to combine. Pressure cook for 30 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste and serve over rice.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

This carrot soup is great.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Whats a good way to use a lot of basil that isn't pesto?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jose posted:

Do you also have tomatoes? Margherita pizza or ensalada caprese or bruschetta

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Jose posted:

Booze!

Stick a fistful or two of basil in a bottle of vodka, along with some other flavorant - cut up strawberries are good, lemon zest is good, tomatoes (and some black peppercorns) are good if you plan on using the end product in bloody mary's. Or almost any other fruit, really. Or just the basil, if you'd like something more standalone. Store in a cool dark place for a couple weeks, shaking every few days, then strain. Strawberry-basil vodka and tonic with a lime wedge is a god-tier summer drink. As a bonus, if you do just the basil, or the tomato/peppercorn/basil, it becomes awesome in a vodka sauce over pasta and whatnot.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just tear it up and put it on top of your noodles.

Also good on nachos.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I once made some simple syrup with basil, and then used it to make cocktails with it. Like, an old fashioned with basil syrup instead of bitters and sugar cube.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I have 4 days of breakfasts and lunches in San Fransisco, where should I be going (besides the SF thread and Drink and Fight that I already hit up)?

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

This recipe is a little involved, but the result is worth it, AND the sauce itself is amazing. Save and freeze as much of it as you can and then use it again in everything. I'll probably make it again this weekend just to have more sauce.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-enchiladas-food-lab-recipe.html

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kalista posted:

This recipe is a little involved, but the result is worth it, AND the sauce itself is amazing. Save and freeze as much of it as you can and then use it again in everything. I'll probably make it again this weekend just to have more sauce.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-enchiladas-food-lab-recipe.html

Agreed, I've even used the sauce as a pizza sauce and it was well received. SV a breast and with the sauce you have the laziest ever taco filling.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

rj54x posted:

Booze!

Stick a fistful or two of basil in a bottle of vodka, along with some other flavorant - cut up strawberries are good, lemon zest is good, tomatoes (and some black peppercorns) are good if you plan on using the end product in bloody mary's. Or almost any other fruit, really. Or just the basil, if you'd like something more standalone. Store in a cool dark place for a couple weeks, shaking every few days, then strain. Strawberry-basil vodka and tonic with a lime wedge is a god-tier summer drink. As a bonus, if you do just the basil, or the tomato/peppercorn/basil, it becomes awesome in a vodka sauce over pasta and whatnot.

I have a feeling I'm going to get pretty drunk on herbed vodka now. Thank you for this idea!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
If I'm making the modernist mac and cheese, is it a good idea to add iota carrageenan or should I just leave it out?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

angor posted:

If I'm making the modernist mac and cheese, is it a good idea to add iota carrageenan or should I just leave it out?

Leave it out, You really only need that to make cheese slices.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Ok, I'll do that. I've tried the recipe once without it and I felt that it was lacking that creamy mouthfeel I was going for. Might up the cheese this time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
For table use I only own table and butter knives that don't cut worth a drat. Not that I cook meat often, but I sometimes wish I had steak knives. Sur La Table has a 6pc Wusthof set on sale for $40 right now. I don't really know what makes a good steak knife or how much I should pay. Should I buy these?

edit: this link does not appear to work once copy pasted to a new device. It's SKU 1993716, I can't find a manufacturer's item number.

guppy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 23, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

guppy posted:

For table use I only own table and butter knives that don't cut worth a drat. Not that I cook meat often, but I sometimes wish I had steak knives. Sur La Table has a 6pc Wusthof set on sale for $40 right now. I don't really know what makes a good steak knife or how much I should pay. Should I buy these?

edit: this link does not appear to work once copy pasted to a new device. It's SKU 1993716, I can't find a manufacturer's item number.

Any generic serrated knives should be fine. How tough is the meat you are eating anyway?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Yeah, you just need the citrate if you're going to cook it and eat it immediately. Make sure you have enough acid in there too.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

guppy posted:

You own butter knifes and need steak knifes? Have I got a video for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr7uGXkKHBk

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I haven't checked yet but I'm like 95% sure that you can probably find completely insane steak knives on kick starter made out of old barn doors or boats or something.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

You own butter knifes and need steak knifes? Have I got a video for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr7uGXkKHBk

I can't stand looking at that hipster doofus. Did he buy the shirt, glasses and mustache as a complete kit?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Chef Steps was more tolerable before when their videos were just anonymous hands reaching around a kitchen. The more the camera pulls back the more annoying it gets

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 23, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I don't see what a man's moustache has to do with learning to change the geometry of a knife.

Still, he could ease off the anecdotes. A goodwill isn't a place to spend a date, guy.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

rj54x posted:

Grate coarsely, press between paper towels to remove excess moisture. Mix in minced tomato, onion, jalapeno, and a bit of shredded cheese. Fry, preferably on a wide, flat electric skillet if you have one. Plop an over easy egg on top, drizzle with hot sauce, enjoy the best breakfast north of the Mexican border.

This was from a few days ago, but I did it this morning and it was, in fact, delicious.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
Quickie complaint: On a scale of one to white people, how pissed should I be if a restaurant is pre-prepping potatoes and sausage and leaving them uncovered in the window, then shoveling that over to customer plates? Do they earn extra points if the window is within spitting distance from the front door?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

How do I get the onion/garlic smell off my hands? I washed them like 3 times and took a shower.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

How do I get the onion/garlic smell off my hands? I washed them like 3 times and took a shower.

Find some stainless steel and rub your hands on it under running cold water.

edit: preferably not a knife. Maybe a spatula or something like that

edit 2: Or buy this, it's cheap and cute: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/stainless-steel-rub-away-bar/1012829620

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 24, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

edit 2: Or buy this, it's cheap and cute: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/stainless-steel-rub-away-bar/1012829620

Could I just rub my hands on the inside of the sink?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yes.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

This is a great tip and works super well. Does anyone know why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/13/eliminating-garlic-smell_n_1341413.html

tl;dr the sulphur-y compounds that smell bind to the metal.