Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

The real smoke strat is sit in smoke and then just as it is about to fade drop a flash and run out with it blowing up behind you. Works 10/10 times. Trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

That sounds like the voice chat on every casual server.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Salt Fish posted:

I don't know about this strat. Every time I see a random smoke everyone starts yelling on the mic to check it and that there is probably someone hiding in it.

that's only because I've spent the last 3 years of goonmans training them

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm having trouble executing this mirage smoke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd-hxLb9gW0 (at 3:51)

I throw it just like the dude in the video (I think) but it always lands a little short instead of bouncing up the step. Any suggestions?

prom candy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 22, 2015

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

prom candy posted:

I'm having trouble executing this mirage smoke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd-hxLb9gW0

I throw it just like the dude in the video (I think) but it always lands a little short instead of bouncing up the step. Any suggestions?

what smoke are you talking about?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kwilty posted:

what smoke are you talking about?

Ah crap sorry, when I paste in here that SA forum extension eats the timestamp tag. It's the one at 3:51, just outside t-spawn to connector.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
It's a jump throw bind. Do you have the jumpthrow bind set up? Also aim at the dead center of the rug.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

prom candy posted:

If you're using a jump throw bind, check to see if it has a "+forward" in it. Some binds use it, some don't and I don't think the makers of the smoke videos realize that it makes a difference on some smokes that require precision.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

prom candy posted:

Ah crap sorry, when I paste in here that SA forum extension eats the timestamp tag. It's the one at 3:51, just outside t-spawn to connector.

Also his stairs smoke for A has a much easier alternative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9siw0Lk7mA

He shows it at about 20 seconds, but its super simple and like impossible to miss.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I do have a jump throw bind, but I don't think it has +forward. I'll give that a try, thanks!

Edit: That did it. I also changed my jumpthrow button from a mouse bind to a keyboard bind, I think the mouse bind was causing me to sometimes hold the nade a little too long.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 23, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

no_funeral posted:

one weird trick in GE MM/esea pugs that i've found to work with great consistency, and it SHOULDN'T, is tossing a smoke in the back of B site cache, on the platform between the box and generator, and sitting in it. it looks like a mis-thrown smoke(which is how i did it the first few times) so people ignore it. safely nets me 1 clutch per game, usually.
Works on Dust 2 as well - smoke off door as you exit to B from tunnels and they'll wait you on platform.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kwilty posted:

Also his stairs smoke for A has a much easier alternative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9siw0Lk7mA

He shows it at about 20 seconds, but its super simple and like impossible to miss.

That's awesome, thanks. I hate throwing that other stairs smoke because if someone pushes ramp I'm dead.

I switched my crosshair to a dot today after all that crosshair talk and I really like it. I also feel like I had a major revelation with crosshair placement when I was playing on headshot only deathmatch. I was focusing on just putting my crosshair at the level of someone's head whenever I was getting into stutter-step fights and then trying to move it side to side with very small movements along with my strafing rather than going more freely with my mouse hand. It seemed to make a pretty big difference, before that I had always kind of just thought of crosshair placement as keeping your hairs up when you're traveling on watching a specific angle, but less-so in firefights.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

prom candy posted:

I do have a jump throw bind, but I don't think it has +forward. I'll give that a try, thanks!

Edit: That did it. I also changed my jumpthrow button from a mouse bind to a keyboard bind, I think the mouse bind was causing me to sometimes hold the nade a little too long.

Your jump throw should also release fire, which makes you throw it at the same time every time even if you continue to hold down fire. If it's not doing that, it's just a jump bind???

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Nam Taf posted:

Your jump throw should also release fire, which makes you throw it at the same time every time even if you continue to hold down fire. If it's not doing that, it's just a jump bind???

I dunno, I got it from somewhere ages ago, I'm guessing you can just add -fire to it?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Kwilty posted:

No one has said it in a while, but playing with, and against better players will make you better a lot faster. At the least make it a routine to play at least one goon for every one MM until you're comfortable.

e:I'm bad at grammar.

I play goonmans nearly 10 times as much as i MM and im still bad, dont listen to this heathen /s

in seriousness i'm just bad at fps games in general. A few people might have heard me say thing in comms on sub.io but sometimes when i see stuff I myself don't see it because poo poo just blurs together on me. I have real bad eyes. for a laugh, here's my stats on sub.io

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Luna Was Here posted:

I play goonmans nearly 10 times as much as i MM and im still bad, dont listen to this heathen /s

in seriousness i'm just bad at fps games in general. A few people might have heard me say thing in comms on sub.io but sometimes when i see stuff I myself don't see it because poo poo just blurs together on me. I have real bad eyes. for a laugh, here's my stats on sub.io

I like playing with you

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

prom candy posted:

I dunno, I got it from somewhere ages ago, I'm guessing you can just add -fire to it?

Yeh, -attack will release.
When I get home I'll try to remember to post mine. Works a charm.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

prom candy posted:

I switched my crosshair to a dot today after all that crosshair talk and I really like it. I also feel like I had a major revelation with crosshair placement when I was playing on headshot only deathmatch. I was focusing on just putting my crosshair at the level of someone's head whenever I was getting into stutter-step fights and then trying to move it side to side with very small movements along with my strafing rather than going more freely with my mouse hand. It seemed to make a pretty big difference, before that I had always kind of just thought of crosshair placement as keeping your hairs up when you're traveling on watching a specific angle, but less-so in firefights.

One quote that I have taken to heart recently is that many excellent pistol players seem to "trace heads" while playing pistols, instead of playing with a more rifle-style aim. Tracing those heads is pretty tough for me, but it gives me a much higher success rate than I would have otherwise, and I find myself hitting shots with a pistol that seem kinda bullshit.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

prom candy posted:

I switched my crosshair to a dot today after all that crosshair talk and I really like it.

I'd love to use a dot, but I lose track of it when stuff gets busy. I'm rolling with the Get Right(not gonna learn how to format his name) cross hair from the cross hair builder.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Man I'm only at 1.08 K/D on sub.io

But somehow I'm top 10 for GPSkill?

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Man I'm only at 1.08 K/D on sub.io

But somehow I'm top 10 for GPSkill?

it was recently reset, then broke for a while, now just started working again so a lot of people are bunched up in the 7-11 gpskill range right now. it will take a bunch more games to normalize.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looks like there will be blood testing on future ESL events. It will be funny if some teams' performance will slip.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

More than likely, every team's performance will. Expect some wild results and form swings.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

kalstrams posted:

Looks like there will be blood testing on future ESL events. It will be funny if some teams' performance will slip.

Holy poo poo this is crazy, but I guess it's for the best if nobody feels pressured into taking that junk.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
That article has got to be fake, they're playing dust 1 in the screenshot

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
RIP every US and Danish team since the list will probably include weed

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

"See, dad video games are a real sport! We have match-fixings and drug testings, like the real sports!"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Being drug tested for weed would be funny and definitely dumb.

Also I hope they ban someone who is actually prescribed Adderall and cause a huge fuss culminating in a lawsuit. The csgo esports scene is already laughable and this can only be a good thing. :getin:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Smol posted:

RIP every US and Danish team since the list will probably include weed
How does weed relate to Denmark?

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

GreyPowerVan posted:

Being drug tested for weed would be funny and definitely dumb.

Also I hope they ban someone who is actually prescribed Adderall and cause a huge fuss culminating in a lawsuit. The csgo esports scene is already laughable and this can only be a good thing. :getin:

None of the players seem to be taking this seriously except the people who are fantasizing about reading an auto-biography about how they were there when esports was budding to their great grandchildren in the post-singularity hypersphere city of Cloudtron 9

Although I guess taking tons of amphetamines is probably not good for you, legal or no, but I aint no doctor

Carol Pizzamom fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 23, 2015

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun
I always spam whiffed smokes on cache A. Unless they're just off to the left or right by a bit, then I just prefire whichever side of quad is visible from main.

From throwing that smoke almost every round, I know how easy it is to misplace it by a couple feet thanks to the lip and some weird bounces. It's really hard to totally whiff that smoke though.

Also, since I still haven't actually tried to get a goon party invite, can someone invite me to the group? I would be down to get down on some goonmans, and if deag league happens, I want in! http://steamcommunity.com/id/bluecaboose

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

kalstrams posted:

How does weed relate to Denmark?

Confusing Denmark with Netherlands would be my guess. We Americans are bad at geography.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Alighieri posted:

Confusing Denmark with Netherlands would be my guess. We Americans are bad at geography.

Never visited Copenhagen, have you? Weed is sold openly in Christiania.

Anyhow, there's nothing much to it. A lot of the players in the danish scene just like smoke pot regularly.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Alighieri posted:

Or he actually knows something about denmark! In Copenhagen there's a section of town called Freetown Christiania where you can buy weed and hash off of street vendors openly selling from stalls. It's like a tiny and less regulated Amsterdam. It's also where this internet classic was recorded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f15iu-D8tlg

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 23, 2015

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007
For those who were just talking about learning cache, steel/moses just posted a good demo review of C9's game against TSM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA0Z4IEFIEQ

For new players, probably the biggest takeaway is just how important map control is on a map like cache. There's good stuff for advanced players to watch too, because TSM is one of the best teams you can analyze if you want to learn how to play the CT side of any map and C9 has a really strong T side that's difficult to deal with. It ended 16-14 and was a grand finals at LAN, so it also happened to be a really exciting match.

The coolest round is probably the 4th or 5th round where TSM pushes A main with 2 players and keeps one on A site. They talk about how smart the round was from TSM, but one thing they didn't discuss was the reason it happened at all. TSM realized that C9 was taking mid control every round so they decided that instead of taking their chances and throwing 3 players at ska/shroud on the mid boost and freak just bowling out mid main (which probably would have lost them the match), they were going to respond by taking control of A main. And C9 actually read it pretty well but still lost the round because TSM added another layer to it with the 3rd player on A that they didn't account for. Crazy how much of a chess match CS can be sometimes at the highest levels.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Smol posted:

Never visited Copenhagen, have you? Weed is sold openly in Christiania.

Anyhow, there's nothing much to it. A lot of the players in the danish scene just like smoke pot regularly.
I guess that explains it, never really heard about that area in great detail, nor about antics of any players.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
the only problem with not testing for weed is that weed is more certainly a PED

have you ever tried to play counter-strike unstoned? it's horrific

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i save my weed for games that are fun

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Google Butt posted:

i save my weed for games that are fun

i always feel bad for people that need to ration their weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Weed makes you have slower reaction times, not to mention that its a sin to smoke it and it turns you into a nasty hippy.

• Locked thread