Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A rich kid (well, actually I suspected he was up to his eyeballs in debt) got an alienware laptop

with a p4 prescott desktop cpu

his battery life was like 20m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

i thought atoms were literally p3s

the pentium m was essentially an improved pentium iii at low power, was all over laptops for a while

the atom was slower clock for clock then real pentium iiis or the pentium ms, but you could run it much lower power. i'm pretty sure they branched its design off the pentium ii and then added some extra newer instrucitons

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah but modern atom basically just works like a slightly shittier i3 core, instead of old atom which was basically "a pentium ii but in 2008" or w/e

u got sources? I can't find a good conceptual diagram of the core arch.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

DuckConference posted:

new processor architecture that amd is claiming will be good on PowerPoint slides

people are hoping for it to maybe be good or close to as good as Intel pro a a few generations old

planned for 2016, if the company survives long enough to release it

amd fanboys said the same thing about bulldozer, and look at how that turned out.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
just laugh out loud if you didnt bust out savage frags on an AMD until the c2d. freakin pathetic

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i did i went from athlon XP 2600+ barton to AMD 64 something or other to C2D E6750 iirc

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Smythe posted:

just laugh out loud if you didnt bust out savage frags on an AMD until the c2d. freakin pathetic

Lol, cpu snobbery.

(I started with a k6-2 and was a fanboi up until bulldozer or worksite disaster or w/e that arch was)

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

my amd athlon was extremely ownage especially the nobrand motherboard that came in an anonymous white box because all the motherboard companies were afraid of intel finding out they were making hardware for amd

it was a cartridge cpu back when that was a thing

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
People are legit excited on /r/amd that Zen will only be about 10% behind the performance of haswell

my stepdads beer posted:

my amd athlon was extremely ownage especially the nobrand motherboard that came in an anonymous white box because all the motherboard companies were afraid of intel finding out they were making hardware for amd

it was a cartridge cpu back when that was a thing

Slot A motherfucker. Intel hosed amd by changing to slot 1 which amd couldn't build chips for so amd used slot A so motherboard manufacturers could use the same physical slot part.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
well 10% slower, but how much cheaper?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Negative 40 percent after power costs

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The FX9590 launched at hilarious $899

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

jaguar or something...

why do u think that it isnt proitbale. i mean the ms one isnt cos it has lovely on die ram but the ps4 one def is.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nintendo Kid posted:

the pentium m was essentially an improved pentium iii at low power, was all over laptops for a while

the atom was slower clock for clock then real pentium iiis or the pentium ms, but you could run it much lower power. i'm pretty sure they branched its design off the pentium ii and then added some extra newer instrucitons

my padre did validation work for teh atom and he said it was based off of p2

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

my uncle works at Nintendo and he said super Mario brothers 2 has a secret level if you enter the konami code 25 times

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

depends, how much do you pay on your heating bill each year?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
:barf:

loving minions :barf:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Bonfire Lit posted:

depends, how much do you pay on your heating bill each year?

An amount that made you wish you lived next to a huge coal deposit too.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
No, you see don't bring facts and rationality into this guys. This is about purchasing a CPU, which is something you do with your heart.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

zen death robot posted:

I just used a credit card.

works too.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

spankmeister posted:

academics are the worst computer users hth

i don't care how many pages back this is but lol at you called a bunch of actual rocket scientists who launch actual rockets and satellites into actual space "academics"

do you know what words mean

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

horse mans posted:

i don't care how many pages back this is but lol at you called a bunch of actual rocket scientists who launch actual rockets and satellites into actual space "academics"

the distinction is academic

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

horse mans posted:

No. I just throw word around without knowing how to pronounce word or what word mean in the hope word make me sound smart.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SYSV Fanfic posted:

No. I just throw word around without knowing how to pronounce word or what word mean in the hope word make me sound smart.

Ah, YOSPOS bitch

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Man in a way AMD has fallen so far, yet it's still pretty familliar

Back then when AMD had just released the 1Ghz socket A K7 i had to have it, since Gigahertz brah. So i get that thing, and it keeps crashing under load, i load up monitoring software and realize that the loving thing is pushing 70C at idle. Cue reseating the rad, getting a bigger rad, overpriced thermal paste, nothing made much of a difference. I even ended up building a hacked up watercooled thing out of an aquarium pump, a car heater core and a heat exchanger machined out of a solid slug of copper since i had access to a lathe. It worked alright then but was still hot as hell.

Until one day while loving with it again i realise the idiots at AMD had hosed up the protective coating on the die, and it wasn't flat there was a large bump in the middle, so it was actually contacting the heatsink on a quarter of the surface, if that. I ended up sanding it flat with some 1000 grit taped down on a table, and the temps immediately dropped to reasonable levels. Cue me thrasing the watercooling setup cause gently caress that poo poo and actually having a stable PC after 6 months. (Well as stable as a machine under Win 98 could be anyway)

Welp that's my AMD idiot story hope you liked it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
sunk cost fallacy

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I was like 15 at the time, that CPU was like 2/3 of my net worth. AMD owned me on a few levels at that time.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i remember getting a c2d aft erhtye had just come out and being amazed at it idling at under 20c on air.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Kafouille posted:

I was like 15 at the time, that CPU was like 2/3 of my net worth. AMD owned me on a few levels at that time.

Didn't AMD have a warranty or some poo poo? Do you remember how much that cost? When Shadows of Luclin came out, I thought I remembered upgrading to one of those bad boys. At the same time I don't remember spending more than $500 on a PC till 2012. I felt bad about generating so much e-waste and tried to build something that would last 5 or six years.

I also bought an amd64bit laptop that got an amazing 4 hours on battery. It ran Cool'n quiet for sure.

Edit: Socket A like 900ghz tbird I think - much cheaper part.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 24, 2015

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
freakin tbird FTW. god drat.. the tbird owned. HOT and POWERFUL. ftw. the tbird defined PC supremacy in this guys book.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Smythe posted:

freakin tbird FTW. god drat.. the tbird owned. HOT and POWERFUL. ftw. the tbird defined PC supremacy in this guys book.

You know it also supposedly can run gnome 3.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiRbgdujCQ4

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I had tried to get a RMA for it but since it booted and ran fine, if hot, i was told to get hosed and get a real cooling system, scrub.

And yeah i haven't changed a since part of my shitposting station in something like 5 years. I looked at upgrading poo poo but it's fairly pointless still, my old first gen i5 750 running at 3.5Ghz still benchmarks within 15% of the current gen i5s at the same pricepoint. Stuff has definitely stagnated these last years, in 5 years i had gone from a PII 233 to an Athlon XP 2400.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

horse mans posted:

lets check their official website: http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/

huh thats weird lets check out that jhuapl part
http://jhuapl.edu

john hopkins university applied physics lab huh

well that certainly isn't affiliated with academia

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

lets check their official website: http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/

huh thats weird lets check out that jhuapl part
http://jhuapl.edu

john hopkins university applied physics lab huh

well that certainly isn't affiliated with academia

here take this shcoevel.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

epic vid + music

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

no, ure thinking core architecture. P3ms because the p4 was such poo poo.

I remember my frich kid friends frantically upgrading to p4s. Then when all the benchmarks came out they were worse off than with a p3. Was a lot of lol.

intel deliberately flushed clock-for-clock performance down the shitter because thought they would be selling 5 GHz P4s with the same old 133 MHz memory bus, and work done per clock wouldn't matter

turns out that a 5 GHz P4 is hotter than the surface of the sun and draws enough power to make your lights flicker. oops

dennard scaling was an iron rule right up until it wasn't

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Kafouille posted:

I had tried to get a RMA for it but since it booted and ran fine, if hot, i was told to get hosed and get a real cooling system, scrub.

And yeah i haven't changed a since part of my shitposting station in something like 5 years. I looked at upgrading poo poo but it's fairly pointless still, my old first gen i5 750 running at 3.5Ghz still benchmarks within 15% of the current gen i5s at the same pricepoint. Stuff has definitely stagnated these last years, in 5 years i had gone from a PII 233 to an Athlon XP 2400.

ya same conroe and 8600gt for eva

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Figures. I go to buy a gfx card for my 2200xp. Yesterday all I could find was a 9600se for $15 shipped. Today someone puts up a 6600 GT 256mb for $15 shipped. FML.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

timestamp your quotes

• Locked thread