Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gin_Rummy posted:

Is there currently a way to kill my sons? I remember there being an option to pay and see if an assassin could do it, but that doesn't seem to be present. On top of that, the "plot to kill" option doesn't seem to want to let me pick my own sons for this. I'm kind of at a loss, because I need to lose one of these little bastards before my giant viking empire crumbles.
you can spy on them to get them imprisoned, and then you can execute them, though that'll hit you with a tyrannical malus as well as kinslayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Gin_Rummy posted:

Well, unfortunately and once again due to my lack of knowledge on playing as a pagan... I got an interesting event chain to let one of them try and be a Varanginian, which seemed pretty cool. I had no idea this would mean he would leave my court forever and join the Byzantine Empire... now I have him primed to inherit quite a bit of my land, but I'm assuming it would be under Byzantine control. It is clear to me that he is the son that needs to die, but I just don't know how to do it.

Whoa whoa whoa, don't kill him, if he inherits he comes back, varangians get good stats, you don't risk everything going to the Byzantines.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

TaurusTorus posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, don't kill him, if he inherits he comes back, varangians get good stats, you don't risk everything going to the Byzantines.

Is that the case? I ended up getting another event chain that said he found a Greek wife and wants to stay there and now his liege is the Byzantine Emperor. I have no option to invite him back to my court or anything which made me think it was a permanent deal.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

TaurusTorus posted:

Yeah, your son's being off being a professional badass, not a sworn vassal.

E: ^^^ Or not. Yeah, no idea. ^^^

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Gin_Rummy posted:

Is that the case? I ended up getting another event chain that said he found a Greek wife and wants to stay there and now his liege is the Byzantine Emperor. I have no option to invite him back to my court or anything which made me think it was a permanent deal.

As long as your son doesn't get given land by the emperor or whatever then it should still be fine.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The After the End horde should obviously be Cascadian barbarians from the deepest forests of the Pacific Northwest.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Turkestan horde game update: Military tech maxed out in January of 1175.

Good news: The tech notification has been updated to appear after a particular track is filled, if you have enough to fill another box in all other tracks.
Bad news: After an entire category is maxed out, the tech notification stays on permanently.

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

This is the government type layout in the latest Github version of After the End. Nomads are Ghost Dance following Canadian Indians and Revelationist Grangelanders.

There's also a new "bureaucracy" government type, which the Californian kingdoms use. It's kind of like Imperial Administration, with free revocations of duchies (prefectures) and vassal rearrangements.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

verbal enema posted:

Just noticed the button to forbid yourself to lead armies.

Where is this button?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Gin_Rummy posted:

Okay, I don't know about that, maybe murder him.

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

alcaras posted:

Where is this button?

Right above your character portrait. Tiny little sword and shield button.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

mythomanic posted:

This is the government type layout in the latest Github version of After the End. Nomads are Ghost Dance following Canadian Indians and Revelationist Grangelanders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvfy7IRF7wc

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

mornhaven posted:

I've definitely noticed a greater number of prisoners being taken since Horse Lords. Also a lot more deaths due to diseases, but that might just be bad luck.

Yeah. I just had a typhus epidemic followed in less than a decade by a consumption epidemic. Was not good for my trade post limit. Speaking of which, what is the best way to make more males? I am a few hundred years in and only at 51 trade posts.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
You get kinslayer from imprisoning and executing your spare sons, yes, but you don't get kinslayer for imprisoning and throwing them in the hole. A 0 year old doesn't stand a good chance down there, I've learned from experience. Also gently caress gavelkind.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I feel like there should be a Designated Gavelkind that grants bonus opinion to family granted titles upon death but makes Vassals mad.

You'd get to designate people to inherit titles upon your death thus kind of reducing the scatter fuckery that Gavel kind can be.

Maybe need to hold an empire title or something. This kind of government has had to exist.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Is there a mod anywhere that removes the title name changes by culture? I remember it didn't used to be that way so I'm guessing it's still possible

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

Koramei posted:

Is there a mod anywhere that removes the title name changes by culture? I remember it didn't used to be that way so I'm guessing it's still possible

Yeah, there's at least two on the workshop. Something like "no dynastic realm names". If they don't work, it'd be really easy to mod yourself.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tehan posted:

Isn't there a way to check available CBs in the ledger? Scan that for a de jure war with a baron.

I thought there was something like this too but I just checked the ledger and didn't find anything. Maybe it was taken out at some point?

Either way I have been up and down India and don't see anything missing. I'm wondering if maybe the new "region" system that decisions like that are using now is not recognizing the territory properly?

*edit* wait, I finally found the drat thing. It was a green emblem on the green background of my empire's colour :argh:. Diplomatic map mode should have a special colour for counties that you control but only partially. It would make it way easier to spot that kind of thing.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 23, 2015

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

mythomanic posted:

There's also a new "bureaucracy" government type, which the Californian kingdoms use. It's kind of like Imperial Administration, with free revocations of duchies (prefectures) and vassal rearrangements.
:mediocre:

guess it falls upon me to modmod my atomicist warboys

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 23, 2015

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Just noticed the DONT PUT MODS HERE txt in the ck2 directory.

Hell yeah After the End can be played now :cool:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Holy hell. I guess sending your kids out as mercenaries scales the size of their band by your own population/manpower.

I don't think my son's going to get hired.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
you should hire him and count the amount of annoying "your son recruited some more men" events you get

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
958 ad and my Uyghur Khagan has converted to zoroastrianism, conquered the arabian peninsula, egypt and anything east of the caspian sea, made the byzantines a tributary, restored the high priesthood, married his sister, vassalized the Immortals and now is in the process of turning India into grazing lands.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 23, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
500 years, and still no wolf blood. :(

edit: Mongol empire still sticks around as a landless title if you defeat their initial invasion. Boo.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 23, 2015

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Nomads are a hell of a drug, just ask Wallachia:

Strudel Man posted:

500 years, and still no wolf blood. :(
If it makes you feel any better my very first HL game gave me a wolf blood child. The only thing was that it was my daughter rather than one of my dozen sons. :negative:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Odobenidae posted:

If it makes you feel any better my very first HL game gave me a wolf blood child. The only thing was that it was my daughter rather than one of my dozen sons. :negative:
Ouch. Yeah, it's odd that there's no gender-checking in there, since a) it's only for players anyway, and b) there's no way I can figure that a woman can lead a horde. Possibly even with modding, given that it's an inheritance-law issue.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Strudel Man posted:

Ouch. Yeah, it's odd that there's no gender-checking in there, since a) it's only for players anyway, and b) there's no way I can figure that a woman can lead a horde. Possibly even with modding, given that it's an inheritance-law issue.

No you should be able to mod it to allow female leaders as well. Either way the Wolf Blood will be fixed so it doesn't end before it starts.

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009
I took my first stab at modding, and yeah, it's really easy to allow nomads different gender laws. You can also allow women to form mercenary companies, which is neat.

Modding is fun! I gave the Normans and Norse cultures mercenaries, as well as letting Norman and Berber cultures raid.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Doctor Schnabel posted:

:mediocre:

guess it falls upon me to modmod my atomicist warboys

You sir are decisively incorrect, for after all, do the warboys not live to die historic and be witnessed, so that they may mcfeast in Valhalla? They are obviously Norse. :colbert:

Er... actually, in fact, they're mentioned in the creation text for the Norse Holy Order.

(I know this because I made that holy order :ssh:)

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Strudel Man posted:

Holy hell. I guess sending your kids out as mercenaries scales the size of their band by your own population/manpower.

I don't think my son's going to get hired.

Hi, it's me again, last questions:
How do you send out your kids as mercenaries/adventurers, I can't find the option?

And regarding your previous post about having no feudal vassals, did you just hold on to all the baronies you got from invasions and repeatedly pillaged them until they were all destroyed? Don't you get big maluses from holding on to them? And what about cities and churches, you held on to them too to pillage?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

NewMars posted:

You sir are decisively incorrect, for after all, do the warboys not live to die historic and be witnessed, so that they may mcfeast in Valhalla? They are obviously Norse. :colbert:

Er... actually, in fact, they're mentioned in the creation text for the Norse Holy Order.

(I know this because I made that holy order :ssh:)

I was this close to making the Australian culture Mad Max style crazies but decided to make them relatively normal Aborigines.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I want an Immortan title/nickname now

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Witness me!: Gain 100 prestige. 80% chance "YOURNAME" dies!
On second thought...: Lose 100 prestige.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Gin_Rummy posted:

Well, unfortunately and once again due to my lack of knowledge on playing as a pagan... I got an interesting event chain to let one of them try and be a Varanginian, which seemed pretty cool. I had no idea this would mean he would leave my court forever and join the Byzantine Empire... now I have him primed to inherit quite a bit of my land, but I'm assuming it would be under Byzantine control. It is clear to me that he is the son that needs to die, but I just don't know how to do it.

They come back, they don't leave forever. It's like they sign up to go be a mercenary in the great city to make a name for themselves.

It nets your heirs prestige and gives them the cool Varagarian trait when they come home; however, be warned there is a chance they will come back converted to Orthodox, and a smaller chance they will get captured by someone, castrated and blinded in service of the empire.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

:mediocre:: -25 Liege opinion

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
There's also a small chance they will marry a Greek woman matrilineally...

mythomanic posted:

I imagine this is exactly how China will be implemented (someday...)

On that front, I had an idea. Since administrative titles in China were by appointment and typically not hereditary, one way to add to the "dynastic" element of the game would be via the civil service exam. Low-level vassals might be to allow vassals to train their children or dynasty for the civil service exam, with appointment contingent on exam performance (as opposed to all appointments being hand-picked by a liege lord). That way, a smart or productive dynasty could still wiggle many of its members into high-ranking positions, solidifying political power in the realm.

It's half-baked, but it's one way to make dynasties important in a decidedly non-feudal, non-hereditary realm.

Aschlafly fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 23, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
They can also learn about "Greek Love"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
And get PTSD, although that seems rare, I've only ever gotten it once.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Aschlafly posted:

There's also a small chance they will marry a Greek woman matrilineally...

I imagine this is exactly how China will be implemented (someday...)

On that front, I had an idea. Since administrative titles in China were by appointment and typically not hereditary, one way to add to the "dynastic" element of the game would be via the civil service exam. Low-level vassals might be to allow vassals to train their children or dynasty for the civil service exam, with appointment contingent on exam performance (as opposed to all appointments being hand-picked by a liege lord). That way, a smart or productive dynasty could still wiggle many of its members into high-ranking positions, solidifying political power in the realm.

It's half-baked, but it's one way to make dynasties important in a decidedly non-feudal, non-hereditary realm.

Titles in China were handled in a different way. So if you were a Duke, your kid would be a count, and your grandkid would be a baron. Obviously the nobles fought against this when they were powerful, but it would require a whole other governmental system to model correctly, something where your kids can't inherit titles equal to your highest title, your highest title reverts back to the Emperor (who could then give it to your kid again if he wanted) but they could inherit your lower titles. Civil service exams would give you a higher chance of getting a high title, but they wouldn't necessarily trump, for example, dynasty prestige.

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
That makes sense. I'd imagine culture should also play a big role on the exams themselves, since deep familiarity with classical Chinese literature and the Chinese language was required.

It might also be nice to model the rise and fall of imperial power versus control by local warlords. Then again, maybe the entire game needs this (blobbing's too easy as is).

• Locked thread