Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Genocide Tendency posted:

Again:

Its not telling people to submit to authority at all costs, its expecting someone to not be a loving bag of cocks because "the man is keeping me down".

Do you have any idea what a cop is supposed to do? Do you actually understand their job? Its to keep the community safe. Its not an easy job, and when they are trying to enforce rules they need to conduct themselves in a manner fitting of someone charged with the protection of the community. Citizens on the other hand have the responsibility to be reasonable to someone trying to do their job.

Oh. I get it. Expecting people to act civilized is the problem here.

You know what. gently caress it. Cops should start shooting fuckers dead in the streets. For any perceived injustice. Why? Because if we should act like animals, we should be treated as such. Police reform is a joke, and anyone gunned down deserves it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

STOP DEBATING IN DEBATE AND DISCUSSION YOU MORON DO YOU REALLY THINK THIS IS THE PLACE FOR THAT????

lol there is literally nothing wrong with this post other than that it doesn't agree with the d&d narrative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
People on Twitter are now convincing themselves Sandra Bland was already dead when they took the mugshot. Sometimes, people, you just don't help.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Cole posted:

STOP DEBATING IN DEBATE AND DISCUSSION YOU MORON DO YOU REALLY THINK THIS IS THE PLACE FOR THAT????

lol there is literally nothing wrong with this post other than that it doesn't agree with the d&d narrative

It's like a tag-team wrestling match at the Special Olympics.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Cole posted:

Go back to your thread Cole.

Genocidal Tendency posted:

Oh. I get it. Expecting people to act civilized is the problem here.

Yes. We expect the police to be civilized since they get the guns and the armor and the ability to invade privacy.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

How should citizens be punished for being "uncivilized" ? I'm going to say that it probably isn't by being thrown into jail or arrested, or anything else along those lines.

One of the big problems with this situation is that there are a lot of de facto punishments that aren't recognized by the law as such. And when those punishments happen a lot more to poor black people and affect them a lot more because they're poor and unable to access resources. Well… people have pattern recognition.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

DARPA posted:

The stop was over. All she had to do was sign and she'd be on her way. But the officer just couldn't let her off that easy.

Also just because someone has the legal authority to do something doesn't mean its a good idea.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Raerlynn posted:

Yes. We expect the police to be civilized since they get the guns and the armor and the ability to invade privacy.

Terrible argument; in most states, the civilians do as well, and the right to refuse searches without a warrant.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
And now time for your daily dose of rage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqkez5CceTc&feature=youtu.be

In February 2015, a New York City police lieutenant grabbed a 6th grade elementary school student of color -- 11 years old -- around the neck and threw her to the pavement on a Bronx street corner, on suspicion -- erroneously -- that she was in possession of someone else's smartphone.

Also, here a short video showing some of the edits from the traffic stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ38i4Hur_Q

Don't worry guys it just a glitch in the matrix.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

This is the legally correct answer I think, but I'd say asking or demanding it was reasonable, but taking the stop further after the refusal to put out the cigarette is when we crossed into unconstitutional territory.

It's sad when a situation could end peaceable but tempers and egos get in the way. Mostly from the cop here.

How is it reasonable to demand she put out her cigarette when the stop is over and he can just walk away?

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

SpeedGem posted:

Also, here a short video showing some of the edits from the traffic stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ38i4Hur_Q

Don't worry guys it just a glitch in the matrix.

All these "edits" appear after the drama is over though, if they were happening during the stop it would be more suspicious but all that's on video at this point is a towtruck driver.

Booourns posted:

How is it reasonable to demand she put out her cigarette when the stop is over and he can just walk away?

Maybe the dude just doesn't like cigarette smoke? Or more likely, her attitude pissed him off and he wants to powertrip a little bit.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There shouldn't be any edits at all.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Booourns posted:

It's an easy request to make, an easy request to deny, and an easy request to walk away from, which is what should have happened. It doesn't infringe on any liberty interests or recognized rights. But I also didn't view it as an order that needed to be complied with (although I admit the manner in which it was delivered makes it seem that way).

In a vacuum, it's a perfectly normal request to ask another person with whom you're interacting to do. Obviously this wasn't a vacuum, and there were other motivating factors at play by both the cop and the victim. The whole thing could have deescalated so easily that it just really makes me sad.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

semper wifi posted:

All these "edits" appear after the drama is over though, if they were happening during the stop it would be more suspicious but all that's on video at this point is a towtruck driver.

Maybe the dude just doesn't like cigarette smoke? Or more likely, her attitude pissed him off and he wants to powertrip a little bit.

Oh cool, you're back too. Last time you said that acting white was pretty good advice - can you explain what it means to "act black" in your opinion?

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

captainblastum posted:

Oh cool, you're back too. Last time you said that acting white was pretty good advice - can you explain what it means to "act black" in your opinion?

It's a point (not mine) made entirely through stereotypes, you're not making any kind of statement here dude. If acting white is being polite and deferential then acting black is being brash and confrontational. If you want to decide that one of those is better than the other that's on you(:siren: racist :siren:), but what I'm saying (or rather agreeing with) is that one of those stereotypes leads to "have a nice day ma'am" and the other leads to you facedown on the side of the road.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

semper wifi posted:

It's a point (not mine) made entirely through stereotypes, you're not making any kind of statement here dude. If acting white is being polite and deferential then acting black is being brash and confrontational. If you want to decide that one of those is better than the other that's on you(:siren: racist :siren:), but what I'm saying (or rather agreeing with) is that one of those stereotypes leads to "have a nice day ma'am" and the other leads to you facedown on the side of the road.

I can not parse this statement, what are you trying to say?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

semper wifi posted:

:captainpop:

gently caress. How could I have looked at the world so wrong until now?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SpeedGem posted:

I can not parse this statement, what are you trying to say?

If black people want to stop being abused they should just submit to white rule! Obviously!

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

semper wifi posted:

Why is that acting white, though? Isn't acting white carrying around a gun and telling the cop that you have the right to carry it? Or flying the confederate flag?

To put it even more clearly, if what you meant was 'act polite and deferential' why didn't you say that?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Obdicut posted:

Why is that acting white, though? Isn't acting white carrying around a gun and telling the cop that you have the right to carry it? Or flying the confederate flag?

To put it even more clearly, if what you meant was 'act polite and deferential' why didn't you say that?

Are you really asking this question?

Everyone knows why those terms are used: because it's an easy way to dismiss claims of racial profiling and racial bias in policing if you convince yourself it's all justified by the way black people inherently act.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's an easy request to make, an easy request to deny, and an easy request to walk away from, which is what should have happened. It doesn't infringe on any liberty interests or recognized rights. But I also didn't view it as an order that needed to be complied with (although I admit the manner in which it was delivered makes it seem that way).

In a vacuum, it's a perfectly normal request to ask another person with whom you're interacting to do. Obviously this wasn't a vacuum, and there were other motivating factors at play by both the cop and the victim. The whole thing could have deescalated so easily that it just really makes me sad.

He didn't make a friendly request though, he made a demand when there was no reason for him to do so.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Obdicut posted:

Why is that acting white, though?

Because that's the stereotypical difference between white people and black people addressing police, something he clearly stated.

You know, like Asians being good at math or Mexicans being illegal immigrants.

Stereotypes. If you can't understand the concept of stereotypes you have no business debating police reform.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What is even the point of bringing up how nice and friendly it can theoretically be to ask someone to put out a cigarette/make me a sandwich/wash my car/go to dinner with me/give me a blowjob, when you know damned well it's not a friendly request if the consequence for refusing is getting dragged out of your vehicle, cuffed, thrown on the ground, and carted off to a cage?

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Cole posted:

Because that's the stereotypical difference between white people and black people addressing police, something he clearly stated.

Stereotypes. If you can't understand the concept of stereotypes you have no business debating police reform.

If you stereotype people you are a racist, hope that helps.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SpeedGem posted:

Be that as it may, asking someone to explain what they mean when they clearly already stated it makes you an idiot.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Cole posted:

Be that as it may, asking someone to explain what they mean when they clearly already stated it makes you an idiot.

Maybe he's trying to make a point, telling minorities to "act white" is racist and he wanted the person who used that term to out himself as the racist he is.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ElCondemn posted:

Maybe he's trying to make a point, telling minorities to "act white" is racist and he wanted the person who used that term to out himself as the racist he is.

So spin the hamster wheel instead of actually progress the conversation by getting to the point of what he was saying!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If you stereotype people you are prejudiced, not racist.

Racism is prejudice + power.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The "would you mind putting out your cigarette" request at what should be the end of the traffic stop comes across to me as the equivalent of "if I really wanted to bust your balls I'd tell you to go get your shine box". Designed to get a rise and escalate the situation for no other reason that he didn't like her attitude and wanted to assert his power over the situation.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Zwabu posted:

The "would you mind putting out your cigarette" request at what should be the end of the traffic stop comes across to me as the equivalent of "if I really wanted to bust your balls I'd tell you to go get your shine box". Designed to get a rise and escalate the situation for no other reason that he didn't like her attitude and wanted to assert his power over the situation.

Yup. Or as various other people have said, "pick up that can"

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Cole posted:

I don't think there is actually a stereotype of white people being polite and well-mannered when acting with the police, actually. Why do you?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SpeedGem posted:

I lol'd. Thanks for that. You vote Democrat? Of course you do. :jerkbag:

Apparently college police are getting in on the shooting unarmed people thing now: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/prosecutors-rewiewiung-officers-fatal-shooting-unarmed-cincinnati-man-n396116

""Prosecutors are reviewing the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man by a University of Cincinnati police officer who had pulled the driver over for having a missing front license plate, authorities said Tuesday.""

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dexo posted:

If you stereotype people you are prejudiced, not racist.

Racism is prejudice + power.

No it isn't and this is a dumb definition.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Apparently college police are getting in on the shooting unarmed people thing now: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/prosecutors-rewiewiung-officers-fatal-shooting-unarmed-cincinnati-man-n396116

""Prosecutors are reviewing the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man by a University of Cincinnati police officer who had pulled the driver over for having a missing front license plate, authorities said Tuesday.""

In Louisiana, all campus cops @ public universities are actually considered state police. Same here?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

bango skank posted:

The definition is attempting to point out a real thing from a sociological standpoint (e.g. why "cracker" is never going to have the same power behind it as the n-word does), but it seems completely irrelevant to the first part of Dexo's post so it was pointless to bring it up, yes.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Obdicut posted:

I don't think there is actually a stereotype of white people being polite and well-mannered when acting with the police, actually. Why do you?

What is your point in asking this? How does it help the conversation other than running us in stupid circles, effectively getting us nowhere? Honestly, how do you see the next few posts in this exchange going, and how will it add to or help anything? Before you respond to what follows, I would like you to answer those questions first.

Black people stereotypically hate police. This is a common stereotype.

If you are racist, you probably consider yourself better than a black person just by virtue of being white, right?

Do I really need to connect all of these dots for you, or can you stop being willfully obtuse?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

bango skank posted:

Stereotyping can be prejudice and it can also be racism, but I agree that the racism = power is a dumb thing that needs to go away because it is basically proven wrong by any definition of the word that will distract from the point attempted to be made with that. Simply saying racism against historically marginalized groups tends to cause far more damage than the reverse would go a long way towards refuting the obvious rebuttals and sidetracks.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Cole posted:

What is your point in asking this? How does it help the conversation other than running us in stupid circles, effectively getting us nowhere? Honestly, how do you see the next few posts in this exchange going, and how will it add to or help anything? Before you respond to what follows, I would like you to answer those questions first.

Black people stereotypically hate police. This is a common stereotype.

If you are racist, you probably consider yourself better than a black person just by virtue of being white, right?

Do I really need to connect all of these dots for you, or can you stop being willfully obtuse?

Getting people to essentially admit that they might be racist to some degree is helpful because there is literally no point in having a discussion with people like that in 2015. Additionally, outting people who cannot understand racism on a basic level and use racist language to make their point are also probably not the kind of people you are going to have a very meaningful discussion with. Dancing around pretty straight forward questions is also much more likely to add to stupid circles than answering them in a straight forward way. At least, that is my understanding of the situation.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ToastyPotato posted:

Getting people to essentially admit that they might be racist to some degree is helpful because there is literally no point in having a discussion with people like that in 2015. Additionally, outting people who cannot understand racism on a basic level and use racist language to make their point are also probably not the kind of people you are going to have a very meaningful discussion with. Dancing around pretty straight forward questions is also much more likely to add to stupid circles than answering them in a straight forward way. At least, that is my understanding of the situation.

Yeah, swell. But d&d has an unbelievably dumb definition of racism a lot of the times.

For example, someone would rather walk down one street than another because of the differing crime levels. If the street with higher crime is mostly black people, whereas the low crime neighborhood is mostly white people, it doesn't matter that the person doesn't want to go down that street because of crime, it is absolutely because it's a black neighborhood.

That is the impression d&d gives about the accepted definition racism. Anytime a race other than white is mentioned in a situation where they could possibly look bad, such as the above described situation, it is racism rather than common sense about safety.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can we have a rule where when you say "d&d believes in this thing I made up" you have to be able to quote 5 posts made in the last three months that all say the thing you said and none of them were largely disagreed with? I can't be the only one getting tired of hearing it parroted over and over by lunatics like Cole or Swagger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Only if there is a rule that if you tell someone to go back to [insert subforum] as a retort instead of a response just because they disagree with you, that you can only post in that forum for a month.

I don't know if you know what the phrase "the impression given" means, but you should really look it up.

• Locked thread