Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I don't listen to music a lot on my phone so I haven't noticed active apps getting killed, but I have noticed that removing apps from that list makes my phone faster. It's an aging GS3 so the difference is pretty obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Mogomra posted:

I turned on AC again, but I'm sure it's still complete poo poo. We'll see.

In case anyone was wondering, it's still utter poo poo in my neighborhood. No change on that front.

I swear the battery life is even better now though...

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

My 2013 Moto X (5.1) spontaneously rebooted last night. When it turned back on, it had to compile all of the apps again. :suicide: This is the second time its done this in a month, and a couple other times it has re-optimized everything after normal power cycles. Has this been a problem for anyone else's phone? I was really trying to wait for the new Nexus devices, but between this and the battery being shot I don't know if I am going to make it, and I can get a new Nexus 6 for $450. I just don't want to buy another Android phone at this point if this is par for the course - I need my phone to be reliable for work.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

IuniusBrutus posted:

I just don't want to buy another Android phone at this point if this is par for the course - I need my phone to be reliable for work.

At this point, Android is about as reliable as iOS. I've had more problems with my iphone than my moto x recently. Windows phones seem pretty solid in terms of reliability, maybe give that a try? (I'm saying this purely from the viewpoint of it being a work device.)

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 23, 2015

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

ninmeister posted:

Not that I've heard. I'm at 407:53 uptime. Lag is one of the things I've never had with this update amazingly. Maybe an app running rampant?

Yeah, apparently it was an app. I noticed my flashlight app had updated and on the pull down screen was constantly showing 100% battery. I deleted that plus a couple online order apps that updated and that seemed to fix it.

Edit; It was tiny flashlight that seemed to be the culprit but I could be wrong

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
First the screen on my S6 edge cracks for no apparent reason, then Samsung reps go back and forth on whether or not the 90 day replacement policy exists and eventually decide I have to pay for repairs, I had to talk to a call centre manager before they would arrange for me to ship it to a repair centre instead of me driving 2 hours to the nearest samsung store, and after all that it comes back with a non functioning headphone port. There's no lint or anything in it, I've tried different headphones, and even a factory reset. The only thing left to try is reflashing the stock rom, but somehow I doubt that will help.

I think I'm officially done with Samsung phones. The hardware is nice but the software and support have been pretty frustrating.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

My 2013 Moto X (5.1) spontaneously rebooted last night. When it turned back on, it had to compile all of the apps again. :suicide: This is the second time its done this in a month, and a couple other times it has re-optimized everything after normal power cycles. Has this been a problem for anyone else's phone? I was really trying to wait for the new Nexus devices, but between this and the battery being shot I don't know if I am going to make it, and I can get a new Nexus 6 for $450. I just don't want to buy another Android phone at this point if this is par for the course - I need my phone to be reliable for work.

No problems on mine, but have you tried wiping the cache partition on your phone? This usually fixes most bugs after a system update.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hungry Computer posted:

First the screen on my S6 edge cracks for no apparent reason, then Samsung reps go back and forth on whether or not the 90 day replacement policy exists and eventually decide I have to pay for repairs, I had to talk to a call centre manager before they would arrange for me to ship it to a repair centre instead of me driving 2 hours to the nearest samsung store, and after all that it comes back with a non functioning headphone port. There's no lint or anything in it, I've tried different headphones, and even a factory reset. The only thing left to try is reflashing the stock rom, but somehow I doubt that will help.

I think I'm officially done with Samsung phones. The hardware is nice but the software and support have been pretty frustrating.

Yeah the hardware sounds great except for the giant paragraph you wrote talking about the litany of hardware problems you've had.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Skarsnik posted:

If there was one thing I'd love, it would be to exclude loving ibtimes from Google now

I have seen the exact same thing on my N5 on 5.1, so not sure you should blame Moto.

5.1.1 seems a little better, but I only got round to upgrading last week.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

IuniusBrutus posted:

My 2013 Moto X (5.1) spontaneously rebooted last night. When it turned back on, it had to compile all of the apps again.

My nexus 6 has started doing this recently, though only when in my pocket, and it turns itself back on again immediately. Probably wouldn't notice if not for how hot it gets when optimising apps. It has gone thorough several OS updates now though, could probably do with a reset.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Hungry Computer posted:

We've been telling you people not to buy Samsungs for literally years at this point.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

LastInLine posted:

Yeah the hardware sounds great except for the giant paragraph you wrote talking about the litany of hardware problems you've had.

Well it was great in the week before the screen cracked :v:

For the vast majority of S6 owners that won't have a freak manufacturing defect or have their phone damaged by a repair centre, the hardware will continue to be good. At least I hope so for their sake.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IuniusBrutus posted:

My 2013 Moto X (5.1) spontaneously rebooted last night. When it turned back on, it had to compile all of the apps again. :suicide: This is the second time its done this in a month, and a couple other times it has re-optimized everything after normal power cycles. Has this been a problem for anyone else's phone?
Yes, mine has done this a few times since it got Lollipop.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Mine just rebooted. Thanks a lot you assholes!

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I want to upgrade from my Note 3, is there any new phones coming out soon that are going to be awesome? If not what should I go with now? I like the size of my Note, but I pretty much never use the pen.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Drythe posted:

I want to upgrade from my Note 3, is there any new phones coming out soon that are going to be awesome? If not what should I go with now? I like the size of my Note, but I pretty much never use the pen.

Well, if you like the size of the note good news....Samsung is announcing a new note within a few weeks :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

Mine just rebooted. Thanks a lot you assholes!

Reboots are like yawns.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

IuniusBrutus posted:

A coworker told me that this is the exact reason that AT&T pulled the 5.1 upgrade for the 2013 Moto X.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

A variety of games seem to be going on sale on the Play Store as a summer sale promotion. It's not quite Steam Summer Sale level yet, but there are some gems in there:

Monument Valley - $0.99
Republique (episode 1) - $0.99
Hitman Go - $0.75
Tomb Raider I - $0.10

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/23/9025725/google-play-summer-game-sale-2015

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...nball-and-more/

If you haven't paid money for Monument Valley, shame on you.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I'm currently unsure of my next device .. while I love the iPad for a tablet my choice in phone is starting to wear on me. Seem to keep having WiFi connectivity issues with iOS after updates and getting rather tired of that. How is the state of Android these days?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Unbranded Sony Xperia Z3/Compact is starting to receive 5.1.1. I'd flashed my Vodafone UK Compact for Lollipop and got 5.1.1 today through the Sony PC Companion app, not via an OTT update.

I won't factory reset it just yet, I want to see how it performs - 5.0.2 had a fair few redraws and apps getting kicked out of memory (but not the task viewer). I have, however, cleared the cache partition (I think - held down power and volume up).

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Bought Monument Valley, thanks

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Unbranded Sony Xperia Z3/Compact is starting to receive 5.1.1. I'd flashed my Vodafone UK Compact for Lollipop and got 5.1.1 today through the Sony PC Companion app, not via an OTT update.

I won't factory reset it just yet, I want to see how it performs - 5.0.2 had a fair few redraws and apps getting kicked out of memory (but not the task viewer). I have, however, cleared the cache partition (I think - held down power and volume up).

Yesssss. On vacation so can't do the companion app but cannot wait

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Tell me I'm stupid for wanting a yotaphone tia.

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I'm currently unsure of my next device .. while I love the iPad for a tablet my choice in phone is starting to wear on me. Seem to keep having WiFi connectivity issues with iOS after updates and getting rather tired of that. How is the state of Android these days?

I bought a Nexus 6 a month ago, coming from an iPhone 6+. It's pretty good.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hey why does my Nexus 5 randomly decide to stop receiving texts and calls? The calls go straight to voicemail and the texts all arrive at once the next time I make a call. The sender's phone claims I got the texts on time. Am I cursed? Are they cursed? Is this a phone thing, a carrier thing (fido), am I using the wrong messaging app (go SMS pro)? Is it the other person's phone (iPhone)?
I like my N5 but if my phone can't be a phone there are going to be problems

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cerepol posted:

Tell me I'm stupid for wanting a yotaphone tia.

It's a neat idea, but by the time they released it the specs were no longer current, the e-ink screen has a curved gimmick like the Galaxy Edge, and it's from a Russian company which may not be supporting Android for the long run.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

YggiDee posted:

Hey why does my Nexus 5 randomly decide to stop receiving texts and calls? The calls go straight to voicemail and the texts all arrive at once the next time I make a call. The sender's phone claims I got the texts on time. Am I cursed? Are they cursed? Is this a phone thing, a carrier thing (fido), am I using the wrong messaging app (go SMS pro)? Is it the other person's phone (iPhone)?
I like my N5 but if my phone can't be a phone there are going to be problems

Are you using battery saver mode and/or :airquote: efficiency apps :airquote:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
No, and no.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've never seen that on mine, over 3(!) versions of android now

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
i am in a constant battle for internal storage on my phone so i set up android sdk and all that nonsense and used adb to set the default install location to the sd card and it still keeps installing things to the internal storage so i came here make a salty post: im perturbed :itwaspoo:

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

AfroGunsou posted:

i am in a constant battle for internal storage on my phone so i set up android sdk and all that nonsense and used adb to set the default install location to the sd card and it still keeps installing things to the internal storage so i came here make a salty post: im perturbed :itwaspoo:

This might not be your issue, but I believe there is a flag in the manifest the developer can use to force installation on internal storage.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I have some crazy stuff going on with my Nexus 6. It'll indicate that it's power is at 60% after being used for 20 minutes from a full charge, but then when it gets down to 1% it'll stay there for another 2.5 hours of screen on time. Its battery drain graph basically looks like the positive side of a (1/x) graph. This is even after a factory reset and several power cycles of my phone from fully dead to fully charged.

Total screen on time is still okay (~4 hours) but it's just the battery reporting that seems to be completely bonkers. Time for an RMA you think?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I have some crazy stuff going on with my Nexus 6. It'll indicate that it's power is at 60% after being used for 20 minutes from a full charge, but then when it gets down to 1% it'll stay there for another 2.5 hours of screen on time. Its battery drain graph basically looks like the positive side of a (1/x) graph. This is even after a factory reset and several power cycles of my phone from fully dead to fully charged.

Total screen on time is still okay (~4 hours) but it's just the battery reporting that seems to be completely bonkers. Time for an RMA you think?

I might try flashing a factory image just to be sure but it sure sounds hosed up.

What time is the Motorola thing today? e: gently caress, the 28th not 24th.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 24, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At this point most notable details have leaked anyway. Its a Moto G with Moto Maker, it's waterproof, and the 16GB model has 2GB RAM. I guess we don't know the prices yet, nor the launch regions.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

YggiDee posted:

No, and no.

Sounds like the network just can't connect to your phone sometimes - that could be your phone radio's fault, or it could be your carrier, it's hard to know.

Unless anyone has some specific advice I'd look around forums for your carrier, see if anyone else is having an issue. If you can't see anything, then a factory reset might clear up your issues (don't forget to back up your stuff)

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

After that last small Turbo update, I haven't been able to charge it without turning it off and plugging it in.

If I turn it on while plugged in, it'll keep charging. I woke up with my phone at 20% battery life twice this week.

Cleared cache, hopefully that fixes it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Skywalker OG posted:

After that last small Turbo update, I haven't been able to charge it without turning it off and plugging it in.

If I turn it on while plugged in, it'll keep charging. I woke up with my phone at 20% battery life twice this week.

Cleared cache, hopefully that fixes it.

I haven't had that issue, but I did notice this morning that my battery was (at least reporting to be) at 93% when I unplugged it.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Reporting in with my Turbo after the OTA, no problems with charging. Took myself from 40% to 99% right after the update.

Is there any way to prevent CPU/GPU downclocking when battery levels are less than topped-off? Assume I can keep my phone plugged into AC forever. I'd ask the same question regarding downclocking due to temperature but that is a really dumb wishful thinking question that ignores conventional laws of physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

baka kaba posted:

Sounds like the network just can't connect to your phone sometimes - that could be your phone radio's fault, or it could be your carrier, it's hard to know.

Unless anyone has some specific advice I'd look around forums for your carrier, see if anyone else is having an issue. If you can't see anything, then a factory reset might clear up your issues (don't forget to back up your stuff)

I don't think it's my carrier, because I've never had problems making calls or texts, I just didn't get them. I ended up finding a thing here. It sounds like my problem? I've disabled LTE, but I'm going to be honest, I don't exactly understand what LTE is.