Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The Sharmat posted:

EDIT: Oh and I doubt she'll ever forgive Triss. Shagging Geralt is not the only or remotely the worst thing she's done to Yennefer.

Yeah thats at least behind
1) Turning Ciri over to Phillipa to be used as a tool of the Lodge
2) Refusing to clear Yennefer's name (even to Geralt) when everyone thought she was a traitor
3) Keeping Geralt from remembering her for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yeah thats at least behind
3) Keeping Geralt from remembering her for years

Well, months, actually.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, it depends on how long each game takes but all the Witcher games happen in about a year tops.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I know it will never happen but I would love if they remade 1 and 2 with this engine.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd like a CG Witcher animated series on HBO using the same localization team and voice actors.

I think it's about as likely as the first two being remade on this engine.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The Sharmat posted:

Well, months, actually.

I could have sworn I heard Geralt saying something about him taking 2 years to get his memory back, or it having been a few years since he last saw Yen at the pogram in Rivia

The Sharmat posted:

I'd like a CG Witcher animated series on HBO using the same localization team and voice actors.

I think it's about as likely as the first two being remade on this engine.

I think the animators of Samurai Jack could do it justice.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Attitude Indicator posted:

Is there any deck that's definitely best in gwent, or is it just preference and playing style?
Northern Realms or Nilfgaard, with Nilfgaard edging out NR, I think. The sheer tempo and card control you get with Nilfgaard is insane. You get the same number of spies as NR, but three more medics, and the ability to play a card from your opponent's discard pile. In practice, this means you can play all your spies, then play one of those spies again next round, and decoy all of their spies (or the spies they decoyed from you). You then have 5 total medics (two heroes) to just gently caress with them however you want. NR can put up some really big numbers with Bond units, but those get shredded by Scorch. Nilf can just keep waiting and playing spies, then Scorching the enemy and dropping a single 10 point card to win it.

e: Scoia'tael decks need either some bond units or a ton more units with Morale.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 23, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

420 Gank Mid posted:

I could have sworn I heard Geralt saying something about him taking 2 years to get his memory back, or it having been a few years since he last saw Yen at the pogram in Rivia

Geralt returned to the world to pursue Yennefer and the Wild Hunt years ago, yes. But he didn't have amnesia then. He spent most of that time after the Hanged Man's Tree riding with the Hunt, before MIDGAME CONVERSATION SPOILERS from the Isle of Mists Ciri rescues him, dumps him outside of Kaer Morhen at the start of TW1, and runs off with the Hunt on her trail. That's when he develops his amnesia.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

How do I find the free DLC content?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Its Miller Time posted:

How do I find the free DLC content?

Glossary > Tutorial > DLC, or something like that. it'll tell you where to get stuff.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
I have a quick question about witcher 2 if no one minds. Is it recommended to use the semi-official full combat rebalance or to stick with vanilla?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Liu posted:

I have a quick question about witcher 2 if no one minds. Is it recommended to use the semi-official full combat rebalance or to stick with vanilla?
I don't recommend it on the first playthrough. Use it when it turns out that you don't enjoy the vanilla combat or on the second playthrough for variety.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

Yennefer is hundreds of years old and probably the most powerful mage on the planet. She doesn't listen to objections from Geralt because she doesn't listen to objections from anybody. Geralt and Emhyr are probably the only two people who she considers to be anywhere near her level.

edit: basically Yennefer's view of the world boils down to a tiny circle labeled "Me," another circle below that labeled "Geralt and Ciri," and below that, a significantly larger circle labeled "Literally Everybody Else, Except Maybe Triss Once I Get Over That Whole Shagged-My-Best-Friend Thing"

Yeah, she's a shining example of why people hate mages and are currently burning every magic user they can find to death.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wouldn't go so far as to compare people who dislike Yen to Radovid, that's just cruel.

RADOVID SUCKS FLACCID COCK

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yennifer is selfish but is a pretty much made of pure headstrong determination. She knows exactly what she wants and has a plan to get it. I hate to be That Guy here but if her gender were reversed there would be less complaints about her character in that regard.

quote:

Yeah, she's a shining example of why people hate mages and are currently burning every magic user they can find to death.

People hate Mages because a few of them have gone through a grand conspiracy to seize more political power in the northern realms which caused a massive amount of instability and various members of the upper class have massaged that hatred for their own objectives. Not that they tend to be arrogant.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 23, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Snak posted:

People are burning mages because Yen has her own mind and knows what she wants?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Turtlicious posted:

So apparently, while I'm at work, my girlfriend has been loading my saves and setting it too hard.

Sounds like a Yennefer to me.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

GrossMurpel posted:

People are burning mages because Yen has her own mind and knows what she wants?

:rolleyes: She consistently bosses everyone around, and, when anyone wants to know her plan because everything she's saying is making the hair on their neck stand up, she tells them to shut up and do what she says. I don't find anything about that to be likable, in a romantic sense or in a general sense. And that's basically every encounter you have in the game with her. So I can only assume that's her personality.

Except when she schizophrenically decides to be the girl that the game ham-fistedly tells Geralt he loves over and over. That's when you know the sex scene is coming. Which somehow makes the already awkward video game sex scene even more so.

So basically she's a powerful sorceress who intimates she will do horrible things to you if you don't listen to her who only changes her tune when she wants to get laid. That's the character that the game has presented to me, regardless of how she's supposed to be in the books.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yen sucks and Geralt shooting her down at the end of the djinn quest is hilarious. I still think Geralt should have wound up with pretty herbalist lady.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
You're a loose cannon, Yennefer, but drat it, you get results. But if I see you practice necromancy again I swear I'll have your unicorn.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

You're a loose cannon, Yennefer, but drat it, you get results. But if I see you practice necromancy again I swear I'll have your unicorn.

Geralt and Yen make a great good cop/bad cop team and that's definitely a show I would watch.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Attitude Indicator posted:

Glossary > Tutorial > DLC, or something like that. it'll tell you where to get stuff.

I definitely don't have this. I know I have the DLC because Triss/Yen have been completely ruined but I certainly haven't got a DLC tab in my Tutorial section.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I like Bethesda games. Hell, I love them! I am trying to get excited about Fallout 4 because those are great games...but....Witcher 3 might've hosed me out of enjoying any Bethesda game again. :(

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I hate to be That Guy here but if her gender were reversed there would be less complaints about her character in that regard.

It's true, though. I'm not gonna say that there's no reason for people to dislike Yen, there are tons of reasons. But I think the fact that she's a woman does lead to some unconscious bias in people's interpretations of her, I wonder how many people despise Yen for being combative and headstrong but think Lambert is Bro #1.

Like, oh poo poo, Yen steals a magic mask from some druid- but most players see no problem with stealing every last broken rake and candle stub from a peasant's house, or, hell, going through Yen's stuff during the drinking game at Kaer Morhen. She does use the mask against the wishes of Ermion, but she knew nothing that bad would happen (and she's right). She uses necromancy on Skjall, which is rough as hell to watch, but she insists that it's not a real person- she may be wrong, but as a Sorceress, she's in a better position to know than Geralt. Geralt/The player is constantly making difficult decisions of life and death just as difficult as that one, sometimes (often) without having any idea what the consequences might be, but when Yen does it, oh poo poo what a bitch, she's got no compassion (because women are supposed to be compassionate).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I wish we could have a Witcher 3 thread where people wouldnt bitch/argue about Yen/Triss. I swear half the posts in this thread are about that stupid small part of the game because people feel the need to argue about a romance choice in a fantasy videogame.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Bort Bortles posted:

I wish we could have a Witcher 3 thread where people wouldnt bitch/argue about Yen/Triss. I swear half the posts in this thread are about that stupid small part of the game because people feel the need to argue about a romance choice in a fantasy videogame.

It's not a small part of the game, Yen is the third most important character.

This isn't "who do you like better" either, which I agree, is a very old topic and not super interesting.

This is about the fact that different audiences are interpreting the same character *completely* differently. That's 100x more interesting than "Man the UI sucks" or "nilfgaard politics chat".

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I also think it's interesting how players experience their own actions as different than the same action taken by NPCs. I was watching a guy doing a Let's Play and he stopped to read the notice next to some scrub who got executed by the Nilfgaardians, "...for desertion." The player sighed and said, "Man, that's so harsh... I mean, I get it, it's a war... but, man."

He says this as he cuts his way though a group of hostile NPCs labeled "Deserter". NPCs he could have easily avoided, but they are worth XP and sometimes they drop chicken sandwiches.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
You guys are the ones who didn't give us an option to say "Hey I'm not hunting down deserters we can just go our separate ways". They immediately attack you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

It's not a small part of the game, Yen is the third most important character.

This isn't "who do you like better" either, which I agree, is a very old topic and not super interesting.

This is about the fact that different audiences are interpreting the same character *completely* differently. That's 100x more interesting than "Man the UI sucks" or "nilfgaard politics chat".
Fair enough. I said "a small part of the game" because I'd say around 90% of your time is NOT spent with Yen or Triss. They are big players and chosing between them can be important to players, but it just takes up so much of this thread it gets really tiring. Yeah Nilfgaardian politics may be just as boring (I wouldnt mind learning more about Nilfgaard considering I will probably never read the books) but the same old arguments about "who is better" is completely subjective based on a million factors and how well you understand the dialogues/how well you can read into things.

edit:

NPCs he could have easily avoided, but they are worth XP and sometimes they drop chicken sandwiches.
Hey man, chicken sandwiches are loving delicious. And I need that XP so I can fistfight better because I dislike the fistfighting in the game. And so I can wear higher level Witcher Armor.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Like, oh poo poo, Yen steals a magic mask from some druid- but most players see no problem with stealing every last broken rake and candle stub from a peasant's house

complimentary spring cleaning vs burglary of apocalypse mask from geralt's friend(?)

She does use the mask against the wishes of Ermion, but she knew nothing that bad would happen (and she's right). She uses necromancy on Skjall, which is rough as hell to watch, but she insists that it's not a real person- she may be wrong, but as a Sorceress, she's in a better position to know than Geralt.

yen wasn't right, bad things did happen, by the necromancy logic geralt should have put his foot all the way down because Druidski knows more about the mask than yen

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Beeez posted:

You guys are the ones who didn't give us an option to say "Hey I'm not hunting down deserters we can just go our separate ways". They immediately attack you.

In this particular situation it's trivially easy to get around the badguys. But the point is, the gameplay doesn't offer you any incentive to NOT fight them. You get XP, loot, and the reward of choppin' up dudes. And it's not really "ludonarrative dissonance" either, because there's nothing in the game that says you shouldn't be doing it or that this is something Geralt wouldn't do. For the random bandits scattered around the map we did our best to humanize them with visual storytelling and notes, but they are there for the express purpose of giving the player something to fight, so it's not at all wrong that the guy is butchering them while simultaneously lamenting the horrors of war, it's just very *interesting* to me that he didn't make the connection between the two.

Similarly, I think it's very interesting that people will condemn Yen for doing things that the player does all the time, without ever seeing the connection.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

oddium posted:

Druidski knows more about the mask than yen

Well, clearly he doesn't.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's also clear that Yennefer has zero patience for superstition in general and Skellige's in particular. "Ohhh, this mask was carved by our great ancestor Wizardbeard McMIghtyfjordensson and if it is ever used the great god of the seas will drown us all!" No, you idiot, it just induces adverse weather conditions due to high magic use and you can calm it down because you've got loving weather powers.

She acts without giving a poo poo about the consequences but she's knowledgeable enough in magic to at least have a passable idea of what the consequences will be.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

In this particular situation it's trivially easy to get around the badguys. But the point is, the gameplay doesn't offer you any incentive to NOT fight them. You get XP, loot, and the reward of choppin' up dudes. And it's not really "ludonarrative dissonance" either, because there's nothing in the game that says you shouldn't be doing it or that this is something Geralt wouldn't do. For the random bandits scattered around the map we did our best to humanize them with visual storytelling and notes, but they are there for the express purpose of giving the player something to fight, so it's not at all wrong that the guy is butchering them while simultaneously lamenting the horrors of war, it's just very *interesting* to me that he didn't make the connection between the two.

Similarly, I think it's very interesting that people will condemn Yen for doing things that the player does all the time, without ever seeing the connection.

Well, I'm only in White Orchard now so I can't speak to any personal experience with Yen, but I wonder, though I don't want any specific spoilers, is she ever wrong or criticized for her actions? Because I think that'd be a key difference. Yen has a lobster monster attack Geralt's dick because he's relaxing for too long(though admittedly that was a dream), and it sounds like Yen and the game itself frequently punishes Geralt for his bad decisions, but is the presumption that Yen is always right and thus should never suffer the consequences of her tough choices? Again, I haven't actually met Yen yet, so I'm just wondering based on other times, about other media, I've seen similar discussions come up. When the protagonist is the only one ever punished for their choices, it seems like bias against the protagonist, rather than for him or her.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Beeez posted:

Well, I'm only in White Orchard now so I can't speak to any personal experience with Yen, but I wonder, though I don't want any specific spoilers, is she ever wrong or criticized for her actions? Because I think that'd be a key difference. Yen has a lobster monster attack Geralt's dick because he's relaxing for too long(though admittedly that was a dream), and it sounds like Yen and the game itself frequently punishes Geralt for his bad decisions, but is the presumption that Yen is always right and thus should never suffer the consequences of her tough choices? Again, I haven't actually met Yen yet, so I'm just wondering based on other times, about other media, I've seen similar discussions come up. When the protagonist is the only one ever punished for their choices, it seems like bias against the protagonist, rather than for him or her.

Yen is disliked by pretty much everyone she meets and gets called out on her poo poo constantly, publicly, and loudly, and not just by Geralt. The fact that she never listens to them doesn't improve anyone's opinion of her.

She's the kind of person who always goes "shut up, I know what I'm doing" whenever they're criticized. The only catch is she really does know what she's doing, and rarely lets anyone else in on her plans until she's finished and the landscape's on fire.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Yen is disliked by pretty much everyone she meets and gets called out on her poo poo constantly, publicly, and loudly, and not just by Geralt. The fact that she never listens to them doesn't improve anyone's opinion of her.

She's the kind of person who always goes "shut up, I know what I'm doing" whenever they're criticized. The only catch is she really does know what she's doing, and rarely lets anyone else in on her plans until she's finished and the landscape's on fire.

Oh, then I guess there's really not much of a difference between her and Geralt or player characters in general.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Taear posted:

I definitely don't have this. I know I have the DLC because Triss/Yen have been completely ruined but I certainly haven't got a DLC tab in my Tutorial section.

it's supposed to be called "Additional Content" i think, but apparently there's a bug (shhocking)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Beeez posted:

Oh, then I guess there's really not much of a difference between her and Geralt or player characters in general.

Basically Yennefer is going through the story picking all the renegade dialogue options whenever possible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

It's true, though. I'm not gonna say that there's no reason for people to dislike Yen, there are tons of reasons. But I think the fact that she's a woman does lead to some unconscious bias in people's interpretations of her, I wonder how many people despise Yen for being combative and headstrong but think Lambert is Bro #1.

Like, oh poo poo, Yen steals a magic mask from some druid- but most players see no problem with stealing every last broken rake and candle stub from a peasant's house, or, hell, going through Yen's stuff during the drinking game at Kaer Morhen. She does use the mask against the wishes of Ermion, but she knew nothing that bad would happen (and she's right). She uses necromancy on Skjall, which is rough as hell to watch, but she insists that it's not a real person- she may be wrong, but as a Sorceress, she's in a better position to know than Geralt. Geralt/The player is constantly making difficult decisions of life and death just as difficult as that one, sometimes (often) without having any idea what the consequences might be, but when Yen does it, oh poo poo what a bitch, she's got no compassion (because women are supposed to be compassionate).

I hate Lambert also. He's an rear end in a top hat. I do not steal from people's homes, only abandoned buildings. As Geralt, there are almost always options to research the situation further. As Geralt you CAN just acti impulsively/decisively, but you can try to find out what's best for everyone. Yen gives absolutely no fucks about other people's poo poo. I mean, she's not a murderer, or anything, but loving up all of Ermion's poo poo and loving up the druid's sacred garden on a whim is pretty dickish. At least she came out and said that Geralt tried to stop her and it was all her doing.

I mean, literally the first thing Yen has you do is break into Ermion's place, during which you ruin his taxidermy collection. Yen like "lol that was hilarious" and Geralt's like "I haven't even said hi to my old friend yet and you've already got me stealing from him". I don't see why it's strange that that would make a poor first impression on me, the player. Sure "nothing bad happened" when Yen used the mask, except that that was its one and only use, and it wasn't hers to use.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

People hate Mages because a few of them have gone through a grand conspiracy to seize more political power in the northern realms which caused a massive amount of instability and various members of the upper class have massaged that hatred for their own objectives. Not that they tend to be arrogant.

Yennifer and The Lodge's core philosophy are the same: "We know what's best for the world better than anyone and we're going to use our incredible powers to achieve our goals regardless of what anyone else says. And the ends justify the means".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Snak posted:

I hate Lambert also. He's an rear end in a top hat. I do not steal from people's homes, only abandoned buildings. As Geralt, there are almost always options to research the situation further. As Geralt you CAN just acti impulsively/decisively, but you can try to find out what's best for everyone. Yen gives absolutely no fucks about other people's poo poo. I mean, she's not a murderer, or anything, but loving up all of Ermion's poo poo and loving up the druid's sacred garden on a whim is pretty dickish. At least she came out and said that Geralt tried to stop her and it was all her doing.

I mean, literally the first thing Yen has you do is break into Ermion's place, during which you ruin his taxidermy collection. Yen like "lol that was hilarious" and Geralt's like "I haven't even said hi to my old friend yet and you've already got me stealing from him". I don't see why it's strange that that would make a poor first impression on me, the player. Sure "nothing bad happened" when Yen used the mask, except that that was its one and only use, and it wasn't hers to use.

Yennifer and The Lodge's core philosophy are the same: "We know what's best for the world better than anyone and we're going to use our incredible powers to achieve our goals regardless of what anyone else says. And the ends justify the means".

None of what Yen does is "on a whim", that's the kind of wild mischaracterization I'm talking about. All of it is in the service of finding her daughter, who is being hunted by space elves. Is it that she doesn't consult the player that makes you think she's behaving without a plan?