Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

ImpAtom posted:

It's really not E for Edgy at all. In the original story it's actually pretty sensible and thematically relevant. You're free to dislike it but calling it pointless and mindlessly edgy seems a bit unfair, especially since Morrison created the character and like or dislike Morrison he doesn't do things for no reason.

Yeah it's weird to see Morrison stories criticized as edgy for edgy's sake (Pyg, Gothic, Arkham Asylum). This is the guy who wrote All-Star Superman, one of the most earnestly optimistic comics of the past 30 years. It's not Frank Miller, if Morrison's doing something it's because he's got a point to make or is trying to do something interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Wanted to share a fun glitch, where a goon grabbed me with psychic powers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oxHP6UbwpU

Oh, and this:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Pyg is frequently meant to be very black comedy, which is why there are scenes like "sexy disco hot".

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Pirate Jet posted:

If anyone is wondering, this is from "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" by Neil Gaiman, which is totally great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pirate Jet posted:

If anyone is wondering, this is from "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" by Neil Gaiman, which is totally great.

Including a story where it turns out the Joker was Alfred all along, which is pretty loving amazing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Calaveron posted:

Have these Joker panels I enjoyed

So when does he kill the kid.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

poptart_fairy posted:

So when does he kill the kid.

Surprisingly, he doesn't.

The kid goes on to have a stunning career in watching cars for supervillains.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

The one thing that bugs me about being spotted by thugs during predator sections is that you still get the extreme slowdown/get out of there or throw a batarang thing happen even if you've sabotaged their gun to jam or even knock them unconscious. It's kinda annoying to be choking out one thug and then have to sit there waiting out an extreme slow-mo section just so the thug who spotted you can knock himself out.

You can turn this off in settings.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Surprisingly, he doesn't.

The kid goes on to have a stunning career in watching cars for supervillains.

"I watched the Joker's car and lived" is a pretty good bullet point on any aspiring young hood's resume.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

Still not sure how the gently caress to get the 3*s for that challenge . that's going to be a bitch.

Gatac posted:

Abandon all notions of not getting seen or shot - smash through windows, use the remote hack takedowns, never do a silent takedown without a smash to speed it up, and have a fully upgraded fear takedown to handle five goons in one go. If somebody shoots you, don't run - batclaw that sucker and get in close for the takedown. I got it at about 35 seconds first try, so it's definitely doable if you're aggressive enough.

Basically this, I just smashed dudes left and right and would drop into vents or drop a smoke pellet, then you can either do one silent takedown to regen fear if there's a dude you can get behind quick, or if you haven't used fear yet, just drop down on the remaining dudes who have clustered up, use your fear takedown and go ham. I do a lot of in-smoke-cloud ground takedowns in general in the arkham games when I want to speed things up.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I spent about 15-30 minutes trying different ways to destroy this awful checkpoint with 4 sentries all looking at each other with different dudes there too last night. It's at that point I finally noticed the one wall I was avoiding the whole time (since a sentry gun is just looking directly at it) had a place to rip the wall down and the batmobile wrecked them all in 10 seconds flat. :downs:

Also, two fun bugs last night:

1) Riddler fight the first - He just sat there indefinitely electrocuting the floor even though all the bots were dead. I had to run out there with catwoman and die to reload. Fun part was just as she was dying it became unbugged and he went into his "I'm above this" but it was too late.

2) Penguin chase - the thugs got stuck on the stairs somewhere. literally. Their car was hovering in mid air stuck against a pillar in the stairs they tried to jump. I had to go down, beat up the thugs around them, then take out the batmobile to destroy the pillar so they could keep going. Of course this reset their "WHERE IS HE" timer, but whatever.

SectumSempra posted:

Also yeah people totally want more race tracks :downs:

I don't understand the increasing desire in every damned game with cars to put race tracks in. At least in GTA you can wave it away as you're playing with lowlives with stolen/riced out cars. Then you turn around and GTA:V online was like 95% people racing, maybe that's changed when they did the remastered poo poo with PS4. I guess it's an easy way to add content and brag about it... like 10 million riddler trophies.

Anyway, I found that the racetracks in Arkham are about a MILLION times easier using first person mode. Which is funny because I'm terrible driving first person mode in any kind of chase on the streets. I'm getting better with driving though, so thanks to all y'all who gave advice!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Also I don't remember City or Asylum being this short, but the sidequests are *really* short? Maybe I'm just thinking too highly of Arkham City.

I'm so glad I didn't buy the Season Pass though. The Harley sidequest I did before anything else and it's like what 30 minutes tops? I'm not quite sure $40 is worth a couple more things like that. Oh and ~racetracks~ and ~skins~.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

the batmobile wrecked them all in 10 seconds flat. :downs:

But like, non-lethally, right? :iamafag:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Chasiubao posted:

But like, non-lethally, right? :iamafag:

Your sharp wit has run over my post at 120 mph. Fear not, at the last moment I was electrocuted and flew off to the side.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

JetsGuy posted:

Also I don't remember City or Asylum being this short, but the sidequests are *really* short? Maybe I'm just thinking too highly of Arkham City.

Not so sure this is as good as Arkham City despite being bigger and "technically" better. I might replay that instead of returning to this again at least until they give me my Michael Keaton suit (!!!!) or silver age blue and grey. Also, where's my goddamn Mook Horde Mode. I didn't even replay Arkham City, I spent months on Iceburg Lounge going for high scores and wave number and that poo poo never got boring. Online leaderboards and I'm playing this until the next game easy.

Also, Batgirl mook chat is loving hilarious.

Mook 1: Say the wrong thing to the Joker and you'll end up swimming with the fishes.

Mook 2: That's FYE-sh. Swimming with the Fye-sh! Not fishes.

Mook 1: What are you an English professor?

:allears:

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 23, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

Your sharp wit has run over my post at 120 mph. Fear not, at the last moment I was electrocuted and flew off to the side.

It's a missed opportunity that as you do donut spins over the unconscious bodies of thugs you've just wrecked with punches to all the balls, the car isn't re-electrocuting them throughout. You know, to keep them safe.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dishwasher posted:

Mook 1: Say the wrong thing to the Joker and you'll end up swimming with the fishes.

The conversation about krakens and dinosaurs is the most wondrous dialogue in the game.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

redbackground posted:

It's a missed opportunity that as you do donut spins over the unconscious bodies of thugs you've just wrecked with punches to all the balls, the car isn't re-electrocuting them throughout. You know, to keep them safe.

I once ended a checkpoint clearing with the car parked on top of the commander. I had to back off him to break his controller dealie. I'm sure he was just sleeping...

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Dishwasher posted:

Not so sure this is as good as Arkham City despite being bigger and "technically" better. I might replay that instead of returning to this again at least until they give me my Michael Keaton suit (!!!!) or silver age blue and grey. Also, where's my goddamn Mook Horde Mode. I didn't even replay Arkham City, I spent months on Iceburg Lounge going for high scores and wave number and that poo poo never got boring. Online leaderboards and I'm playing this until the next game easy.

I didn't do those in Arkham City, but Arkham City just feels bigger, but again, it just may be looking back favorably. Witcher 3 may have totally destroyed my expectations for open world games irrecoverably. That game is immense.

Dishwasher posted:

:allears:

The thugs reactions to Catwoman were great in Arkham City too. Before this game came out, it was :allears: reading all the Tumblr outrage about how ~problematic~ it was that they called her a bitch. Oh no, it's almost as if no-education goons see a woman beating up their friends might use a not-so-nice word!

redbackground posted:

They should do what MGS does and have little Zs floating over their heads. You know, so we're assured they're safe.

I bet it's a DC Comics thing that Batman can't remotely kill people in their game.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

has there ever been a catwoman video game that wasn't garbage? she was my favorite character in arkham knight. i haven't played any of the other arkham games.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Also, i sure am glad the guy driving the car I just fired a 60mm shell at has that "unconscious" description after he fell out. I'd hate to have killed him!

inferis posted:

has there ever been a catwoman video game that wasn't garbage? she was my favorite character in arkham knight. i haven't played any of the other arkham games.

Her DLC in Akrham City was worth the ~$5 I paid for it or whatever. There are points in the city you can switch to her and run around all of Arkham City. Her controls are pretty much the same as they are in AK. I don't remember how many missions it was, but she had a few "story" missions which were fun. The mechanics for Catwoman are fun too because you have to think about things differently because of her ability to crawl on some ceilings. There were 40 Riddler trophies too that only she could pick up.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

inferis posted:

Well, play City anyway because it's fantastic. She has pretty substantial sections of her own that pop up throughout, and you can free roam with her afterwards.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

The Catwoman free roaming in City is still probably the best Catwoman game you're ever gonna get for the perceivable future. And definitely play City with all the DLC. It's all so loving great. Also, All Batman, No Batmobile.

That raft section kinda sucked tho.

JetsGuy posted:

Arkham City just feels bigger

I think Knight for all it's size, suffers from GTA Syndrome where there's a lot to see and walk around in, but not much to really do in a lot of areas aside from viciously 'totally not murder' mooks. The fact that City is still a Metroidvania and less of a GTA V kind of open-world mission based game means there's less emptiness and "fly-over space" and more meaningful and important areas everywhere you turn. City is more dense.

Edit:

Nintendo needs to take notes from Asylum and City in how to make a current-era Metroid game. Rocksteady made the blueprint.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 23, 2015

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

JetsGuy posted:

AK 100% took me like 50 hours, which is about the same as AC 100% (quests and riddler; I didn't bother with the challenge rankings) took me.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Dishwasher posted:

The Catwoman free roaming in City is still probably the best Catwoman game you're ever gonna get for the perceivable future. And definitely play City with all the DLC. It's all so loving great. Also, All Batman, No Batmobile.

And it's a fun distraction too. Her whip/bolas are pretty great.

quote:

That raft section kinda sucked tho.

God, yes. Once you got used to it , it wasn't too too bad, but gently caress Killer Croc.

quote:

Nintendo needs to take notes from Asylum and City in how to make a current-era Metroid game. Rocksteady made the blueprint.

As if Nintendo has any interest in making a game not for babies. I don't mean that in a "console warrior" way either, it just seems like Nintendo is a lot more focused on making their games for "all audiences", which generally means fun themes for adult games are a no-go. I barely played my Wii, won't buy a WiiU. Sure I'll miss out on Zelda and a few other games, but it just isn't for me.

You're right though. it even has the "don't kill anyone" and no gore aspect that Nintendo will want.

Terrible Horse posted:

AK 100% took me like 50 hours, which is about the same as AC 100% (quests and riddler; I didn't bother with the challenge rankings) took me.

Fair enough. I think Dishwasher covered it pretty well in that the city feels pretty empty.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I 100%'ed AK in 48 hours with a bit of help on a couple of trophies. I've never 100%'ed a Batman game before. AK has its issues for sure but the gameplay is just so good. Combat feels so much smoother than previous entries to me. I need to go back and play the older ones again, but I'll probably wait til Steam has them cheap or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JetsGuy posted:

As if Nintendo has any interest in making a game not for babies. I don't mean that in a "console warrior" way either, it just seems like Nintendo is a lot more focused on making their games for "all audiences", which generally means fun themes for adult games are a no-go. I barely played my Wii, won't buy a WiiU. Sure I'll miss out on Zelda and a few other games, but it just isn't for me.

You're right though. it even has the "don't kill anyone" and no gore aspect that Nintendo will want.

I don't think that's anywhere even in the ballpark of what he was implying by saying that

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
No but the whole interest of making another Metroid game is pretty much a pipe dream at this point

And DONT' say that 3DS game that is being made. THAT is not a metroid game. :colbert:

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
Sounds like Rocksteady slipped in some date specific Easter eggs in this one too.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Shindragon posted:

THAT is not a metroid game. :colbert:

Indeed it's not brother. :smith:

Naw I was talking about the tightly made third-person open worlds based on exploration and using gadgets and powers to open newer sections and the distinct lack of useless filler in the worlds. People expected that here just like City, but in a larger area and instead we got GTA: Batman Edition, which is wonderful in it's own ways, but not the game I was personally expecting to play.

What you said about Nintendo is correct in that it's holding that company back tho.

Edit:

Holy poo poo that Kraken-Dinosaur conversation is the greatest thing written in this series and that's saying a lot. :lol:

"Hey! We like our sugar white, and our glass transparent! :smug:"

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 23, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

JetsGuy posted:

lol ok I give up, which gamefaqs message board did you crib this from

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Remember kids. Adult games have swearing, violence and tits. That is how you know they are mature games for adults.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

mints posted:

Sounds like Rocksteady slipped in some date specific Easter eggs in this one too.

I can't wait to find out three years from now that if you set your clock to the producer's dog's 8th birthday then you get to see a special sequence where Joker talks about how he killed Ace the Bat-Hound with a golf club.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

JetsGuy posted:

I spent about 15-30 minutes trying different ways to destroy this awful checkpoint with 4 sentries all looking at each other with different dudes there too last night. It's at that point I finally noticed the one wall I was avoiding the whole time (since a sentry gun is just looking directly at it) had a place to rip the wall down and the batmobile wrecked them all in 10 seconds flat. :downs:

I spent about two or three hours on this one night. I saw the Batmobile winch, but I didn't have the Batmobile because the bridge hadn't lowered. The thing is I didn't know the islands opened to the Batmobile once you advanced the plot far enough. I had found one of the Riddler rooms and one of the firefighter hostages on Founders Island and I wanted to go ahead and finish them, but I needed the Batmobile to get them. So I somehow got the idea that if I could take out all the checkpoints on the island on foot, it would be safe to bring it in. I got a lot of them, actually, but this one was pretty much impossible (though I have to admit it was a fun challenge). Also I had trouble with one tower which a helicopter kept its light trained on nonstop, which you can't do unless you have the remote hacking device. Eventually I looked it up and was told "just keep playing the story," but it was hard to ignore the voices of the thugs torturing the firefighter.

quote:

The thugs reactions to Catwoman were great in Arkham City too. Before this game came out, it was reading all the Tumblr outrage about how ~problematic~ it was that they called her a bitch. Oh no, it's almost as if no-education goons see a woman beating up their friends might use a not-so-nice word!

:regd08:
Even if you disagree, is it so hard to just accept that people have different opinions than you?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, this may because I was drunk during, but I was watching Transporter 3 (See:drunk) and was thinking, if you streamline and remove tank section of Batmobile, and keep the combat system (Not pred) it could be a good transporter game.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

^^^ Whichever major company is lurking our threads needs to listen to that poo poo right here ^^^

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, this may because I was drunk during, but I was watching Transporter 3 (See:drunk) and was thinking, if you streamline and remove tank section of Batmobile, and keep the combat system (Not pred) it could be a good transporter game.

GOAT

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

JetsGuy posted:

Fair enough. I think Dishwasher covered it pretty well in that the city feels pretty empty.
Def agreed, I felt that everything was too spread out and that once you were just getting Riddler trophies, the city felt empty and filled with cops ,so like, why am i even worried about these rioters etc

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Terrible Horse posted:

Def agreed, I felt that everything was too spread out and that once you were just getting Riddler trophies, the city felt empty and filled with cops ,so like, why am i even worried about these rioters etc

Yeah. It really could have benefited from the little random occurrences you might find in, say, Red Dead Redemption to make the city feel more alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Medium Cool posted:

You can turn this off in settings.

Welp, 110 hours in I learn something that would have benefited me immensely!

• Locked thread