Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

volvowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Mak0rz posted:

Okay he's lucky he didn't become Russian dressing but how the gently caress is his neck/spine still rigid after all that whiplash? :stare:

it isnt necessarily. i know of someone who crawled out of a serious wreck and stood around the crash for a bit until paramedics told him his neck was fractured and can you please very carefully lie down on this stretcher sir

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, his veins are probably pumping pure adrenaline at that point.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

emphasis on were

Hey, the other guy might be alright, we dont know, maybe he was just about crawl out, all fine and dandy, when the video stopped. It's possible right?

right...

right.....

:ohdear:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

That's a Lada.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

The Worst Bear posted:

:stare: I can't believe he crawled out of that wreck. Is that the steering wheel she taps towards the end?

The trick is he was in the passenger seat all along.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

The trick is he was in the passenger seat all along.

Autonomous cars are all the rage today.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Sounds like Ashley Furniture would have a lot of thread fodder.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
High speed train at a full speed. (100mph) hit a truck carrying metal plates at a crossing. The truck got stuck after trying to cross under the red lights before the barriers went down.

The cabin got separated on impact and the driver walked off. Unfortunately, atleast two of the passengers are dead and the train driver most likely lost both legs.

The train continued to push the remains of the truck through the platform following the crossing and stopped after just under 1/2 mile after hitting it. Luckily, there were no passengers at the platform, since the train was not scheduled to stop there.

The photos are pretty crazy http://ostrava.idnes.cz/foto.aspx?r=ostrava-zpravy&c=A150722_151642_ostrava-zpravy_jog (some of the footage in the first video is not from this accident.)

There is a video from a security cam but it has not been released yet.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Ashely Furniture's press release sounds like there might be some crossover with the sovcits-getting-tazed thread.

VV I've come to the conclusion that Slavs are basically indestructible. For evidence: some Russian men live past 25.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 22, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

SpannerX posted:

That's a Lada.

So it is. How is he still alive then? A Lada should be a ball of scrap metal after that.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

such is life

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do these vehicles get stuck on crossings anyway? Whenever I see it in movies it's always some shitbox stalling out at exactly the right time, which is silly.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bitcoin bastard posted:

So it is. How is he still alive then? A Lada should be a ball of scrap metal after that.

Sheer random luck? Karma? Was he the only guy in Russia to have stopped for a pedestrian (that was simply crossing the street, not one of the guys that throw themselves at passing cars for sweet, sweet insurance fraud)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

quote:

“The agency’s document uses terms like ‘serious,’ ‘repeat’ and ‘willful’ — which are definitions in their regulations. We do not believe such regulatory terminology reflects Ashley’s proven commitment to safety.”

quote:

The agency found that workers at the Arcadia, WI plant had experienced more than 1,000 work-related injuries in the last 3.5 years.

PROVEN COMMITMENT TO SAFETY

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I want to say that the Ashley stuff was first brought up way back at the beginning of this thread (or the previous version) and now we are getting another helping of violations.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

VendaGoat posted:

Things Garfield taught us

To Abu Dhabi, please bend and fold.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

CzarChasm posted:

I want to say that the Ashley stuff was first brought up way back at the beginning of this thread (or the previous version) and now we are getting another helping of violations.

It was, we are.

We get the same 4 gifs posted every 5 pages, so bringing up Ashely's again shouldn't be a problem!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

At this point, it's almost like cheating to use Ashley Furniture in an OSHA thread.

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

How do these vehicles get stuck on crossings anyway? Whenever I see it in movies it's always some shitbox stalling out at exactly the right time, which is silly.
Crossings are usually not perfectly level with the road. When you arent in the US (or i guess when you are driving a truck) you generally dont have an automatic transmission so you can stall on the incline. That said, if the barrier comes down and you are already on the tracks, just freaking drive through it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

1. Idiots changing gears and failing while on the crossing (You know, like your driving instructor very emphatically told you never to do?)
2. Double-idiots (lorry drivers) just being very stupid.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Speaking of lovely truck drivers, this jackass apparently abandoned his rig in the middle of downtown during rush hour (stolen from the Vancouver thread):

THC posted:

You're a truck driver. As you make a right turn, a small car driven by an idiot enters your blind spot and collides with your truck. Do you:

A) move your truck to the side of the road
B) contact authorities
C) exchange info with the idiot

The answer obviously is to D) abandon your vehicle where it is and gently caress off to God knows where, blocking all eastbound traffic on Hastings street for 20+ minutes during rush hour.

VelociBacon posted:

What if you're a trucker in Vancouver probably using a cousins license?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dillbag posted:

Speaking of lovely truck drivers, this jackass apparently abandoned his rig in the middle of downtown during rush hour (stolen from the Vancouver thread):

Holy poo poo I lived in VBC for a few months, that would gently caress up everything so bad; those streets felt crowded on foot.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO

xsuperkidx posted:

Crossings are usually not perfectly level with the road. When you arent in the US (or i guess when you are driving a truck) you generally dont have an automatic transmission so you can stall on the incline. That said, if the barrier comes down and you are already on the tracks, just freaking drive through it.

This is exactly it. That crossing is near perfectly flat, he just drove on the crossing when he shouldn't have and ended up between the barriers, panicked and stood there. Those barriers are designed to lift up/roll up the front window if car tries to drive under them and the truck could have just driven right through them (which would automatically stop the train, if a damage to them is detected.)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
As an aside, why do buses have to stop at rail crossings? It seems like it would be more dangerous to start from a complete stop at a rail crossing because you'd have a higher chance of stalling and not being able to cross.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If I remember correctly (and I was a dumb middle school kid at the time), there was a nasty accident involving a school bus and a train in the mid-90's that ended up creating the laws that buses must stop and visually check for trains before crossing.

Fake edit: This is what I'm thinking of:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Fox_River_Grove_bus%E2%80%93train_collision

There's a crossing on my way home that annoys me almost every day. The train tracks haven't been used in at least a decade. They end about a mile north of the crossing where they were ripped up for a bike trail. More recently they were also ripped up to extend the trail south of the crossing and end about 100 yards beyond. There's never going to be a train unless someone physically places a train onto this 5000 ft long section of track specifically to annoy drivers. There's just no where for the train to go! But, the crossing is still there and buses still have to stop at it every time they go across.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Kerrow posted:

This is exactly it. That crossing is near perfectly flat, he just drove on the crossing when he shouldn't have and ended up between the barriers, panicked and stood there. Those barriers are designed to lift up/roll up the front window if car tries to drive under them and the truck could have just driven right through them (which would automatically stop the train, if a damage to them is detected.)

where are these magic crossing arms that automatically stop trains if broken?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Uthor posted:

If I remember correctly (and I was a dumb middle school kid at the time), there was a nasty accident involving a school bus and a train in the mid-90's that ended up creating the laws that buses must stop and visually check for trains before crossing.

There's a crossing on my way home that annoys me almost every day. The train tracks haven't been used in at least a decade. They end about a mile north of the crossing where they were ripped up for a bike trail. More recently they were also ripped up to extend the trail south of the crossing and end about 100 yards beyond. There's never going to be a train unless someone physically places a train onto this 5000 ft long section of track specifically to annoy drivers. There's just no where for the train to go! But, the crossing is still there and buses still have to stop at it every time they go across.

Do the cops sit at the rail to nowhere and wait for bus drivers to run it?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Uthor posted:

Bellevue/Kirkland?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ha I used to work in the furniture biz (kind of), mostly dealing with sales/marketing execs. You could always tell when someone had been promoted from inside off the factory floor because they were A)white B)male and C)had some kind of weird hand/finger injury.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

where are these magic crossing arms that automatically stop trains if broken?

I'm more interested in the magic freight trains that could actually stop before reaching that gate.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

goodness posted:

Do the cops sit at the rail to nowhere and wait for bus drivers to run it?

I doubt they'd do anything, but if I was a bus driver, I wouldn't chance my job for a 15 second delay.

ullerrm posted:

Bellevue/Kirkland?

Pioneer Parkway in Peoria, IL.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dude bounced that truck back like a pro.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Uthor posted:

There's a crossing on my way home that annoys me almost every day. The train tracks haven't been used in at least a decade.

Around here, if that's the case they slap an "EXEMPT" sign under the crossing sign.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Uthor posted:

Pioneer Parkway in Peoria, IL.

Ah, drat. The exact same thing has been happening here.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Uthor posted:

No, they've always had to as long as I've remembered. I grew up in the early 80s and I remember the busses had a "this vehicle stops at all railroad crossings" wording on the back panel (along with "this vehicle does not make right turns on red").

I remember this accident as I lived 2 miles from that intersection at the time this happened. That whole stretch of Route 14 was peppered with crossings like that.What basically came from Fox River Grove accident was recommendations for changing how and where railroad crossings are deployed and other traffic flow mechanisms, like tying in the traffic lights with the crossing alert system to make sure nobody is trapped by the traffic lights.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

flosofl posted:

No, they've always had to as long as I've remembered. I grew up in the early 80s and I remember the busses had a "this vehicle stops at all railroad crossings" wording on the back panel (along with "this vehicle does not make right turns on red").
Yeah, buses have stopped and opened doors since about forever. Pretty sure my Grandpa who was a superintendent of schools in the 60s questioned that exact process, so we're talking at least 50+ years.

The moment they stop doing it, there will be some horrible train+bus wreck and all hell will break loose.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

slidebite posted:

Yeah, buses have stopped and opened doors since about forever. Pretty sure my Grandpa who was a superintendent of schools in the 60s questioned that exact process, so we're talking at least 50+ years.

The moment they stop doing it, there will be some horrible train+bus wreck and all hell will break loose.

It's almost like being extra-careful while driving 50 people around is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

Mak0rz posted:

The Chainless Chainsaw, or how to make your friend poo poo his pants and never hang out with you again

The word "friend" is not what I would call him.

• Locked thread