Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Captain Apollo posted:

Mine goes something like this: Don't kill myself. Take a deep breath. When the gently caress am I going to get there, and does anybody else give a poo poo?

I thought it was "check mah fuel? check mah weight? naaaaaaah gently caress it I'm going deep!" :v:

Also, in continuing CAP chat: they just found a different plane (from MN, not the one w/ the girl who walked away) out here in WA state so I guess they're somewhat useful out here. :shrug:

My interaction with them as a kid in my old hometown was similar to a few others in this thread - faux AF dudes tooting around in cessnas but never really letting the kids up with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
I started commercial maneuvers today. Holy gently caress chandelles/lazy 8s are fun. It's nice to be able to 'relax' again after all that IFR flying

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Rickety Cricket posted:

I started commercial maneuvers today. Holy gently caress chandelles/lazy 8s are fun. It's nice to be able to 'relax' again after all that IFR flying

I know that feeling. Looking outside feels like a gift after six weeks of being under the hood.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Ahhh, last time I drew up a flight on a VNC I was flying da-20s. Now that I fly c-172s i am completely lost! (Well, I mean, the chart portion was fine, it's the paperwork, like my power setting, projected speed etc.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ahhh, last time I drew up a flight on a VNC I was flying da-20s. Now that I fly c-172s i am completely lost! (Well, I mean, the chart portion was fine, it's the paperwork, like my power setting, projected speed etc.)

To the POH you go!

Out of curiosity, which do you prefer flying? I only ever flew the C-172, but I liked it because it seemed like the GA equivalent of an old F-150 -- reliable if not particularly fast, and roomy enough to take passengers and luggage no problem. I never flew a DA-20, but they always struck me as fairly tiny/cramped whenever I saw them.

(p.s. please come back to the Canada thread, it's complete insanity in there without you to inject an ounce of reality)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

PT6A posted:

To the POH you go!

Out of curiosity, which do you prefer flying? I only ever flew the C-172, but I liked it because it seemed like the GA equivalent of an old F-150 -- reliable if not particularly fast, and roomy enough to take passengers and luggage no problem. I never flew a DA-20, but they always struck me as fairly tiny/cramped whenever I saw them.

(p.s. please come back to the Canada thread, it's complete insanity in there without you to inject an ounce of reality)

Honestly, they are very different birds as far as I am finding. I mean, if it was just me loving around in upper airwork or circuits, the da-20 is complicated but nimble and a blast to fly. I'm a small guy, so it didn't feel as cramped. That being said, I like raw power of the 172, and I seem to better at flying it. I like them both

(p.s. I did dip in earlier, and you know, the bullshit that came out, yeah, I think i'm gonna keep my distance a little longer at least)

vvvvvBasically that.vvvvv

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 17, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

To the POH you go!

I'd take a DA20 for VFR flying over a 172 almost every time. It's solidly a good 15-20kts faster and a lot more enjoyable to fly.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

bunnyofdoom posted:

I like raw power of the 172

This statement has literally never been said before in the history of the world. Fly it at Gross weight ad you will get a very different impression of its power.

I preferred the DA20 over the 152 if you are comparing two seaters. Constant speed prop made more than made up for the difference in power.

Stick > Yoke

Edit: Rigged up a low budget Bluetooth audio system for my plane. Nice to get the alerts from Foreflight through the intercom.

Heading to Oshkosh next week with a pair of freshly minted CPL's.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

helno posted:

This statement has literally never been said before in the history of the world. Fly it at Gross weight ad you will get a very different impression of its power.

Compared to baby motorcycle engine in the da-20 at least.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The True F-150 would be the Cessna-182. Just load it up and go.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

Yeah my favorite airplane ever was a 1966 182J my dad had for a brief while. It was old and ratty and so much fun...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

Flies like a truck too.

The 172 is like a corolla, sure it's a plane and it'll get you places, but meh

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Animal posted:

Just remember to check for known icing first.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Oshkosh 2015:

Lots of airplane and tent damage.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

The Ferret King posted:

Oshkosh 2015:

Lots of airplane and tent damage.

Did you come in with the Bonanzas? I flew in this afternoon with the Cessnas

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've never been to Oshkosh. I stole this from someone on the AOPA forums.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

I've never been to Oshkosh. I stole this from someone on the AOPA forums.

AOPA has a forum? How old and curmudgeony is the user base there?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

e.pilot posted:

The oldest and curmudgeoniest.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

The oldest and curmudgeoniest.

If its anything like Pilots of America I can't even begin to imagine. :ohdear:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

I've never been to Oshkosh.

Shame this man.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I've missed the last two years which makes me sad. Next year I should be able to make it, though.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

e.pilot posted:

Red board best board. :colbert:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Have you see the movie Gran Torino? Everyone there is Clint Eastwood's character.

Great place to sell gear though. They dont bother checking prices elsewhere.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Not 100% sure, but I think next week, some of my flights are with a goon as my instructor.

Yes. Yes they are. There is a bit of a shuffle going on with some departures and I may also become your primary. I swear if you make one stairs in house reference I'll tell everyone at the flight school your SA username :colbert:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Desi posted:

Yes. Yes they are. There is a bit of a shuffle going on with some departures and I may also become your primary. I swear if you make one stairs in house reference I'll tell everyone at the flight school your SA username :colbert:

Let's not do that. (For the record if you hadn't posted I would have during the run up checks)

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Animal posted:

Have you see the movie Gran Torino? Everyone there is Clint Eastwood's character.

Great place to sell gear though. They dont bother checking prices elsewhere.

Other than here, and /r/flying, are there any good boards? Pilots of America is not the greatest either.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

sanchez posted:

Other than here, and /r/flying, are there any good boards? Pilots of America is not the greatest either.

Can I ask why you think /r/flying is a good place?

I really don't think most of the people on the board have done any real flying.

Their up vote system makes them impossible to listen to other views compared to a board like this.

I very much like MooneySpace.com, but BeechTalk.com is even better

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There really is a lack of good aviation forums.

Also, any recommended books on meteorology?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

sanchez fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 17, 2016

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
https://youtu.be/6Z2CSv2NKN8

Here is my arrival into Oshkosh.

We're were the last plane in before the airport was closed Sunday night so they had us running full speed from Ripon to the downwind.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Tide posted:

Also, any recommended books on meteorology?

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a3_5/publication/afh11-203v1/afh11-203v1.pdf

and when you're done, volume 2!

(but it is a lot smaller)

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a3_5/publication/afh11-203v2/afh11-203v2.pdf

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

That's...awesome!

Thank you!

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Here's a video posted on airliners.net of a 777 landing in AMS during a storm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ddnGzxNZs

EHAM 251255Z 30037G55KT 4000 RA FEW010 BKN012 OVC020 13/13 Q1001 RERA WS R27 TEMPO 7000

:stare:

Seph fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 27, 2015

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

What a joke.

FAA TFR LIST

FAA posted:

Depicted TFR data may not be a complete listing. Pilots should not use the information on this website for flight planning purposes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gently caress. That. poo poo.

Edit: I meant the 777 landing, but oddly, works for the FAA's estimation of their own TFR list's accuracy.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2015/July/Pilot/pe_na

Better get that verbal Flight Service briefing, OR ELSE!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Ferret King posted:

Better get that verbal Flight Service briefing, OR ELSE!

I'm not convinced that even a verbal FS briefing would save a pilot from FAA action when violating a TFR that popped up after the briefing. Or was missed by the briefer. Seems like the FAA thinks they must take action against all TFR violations regardless of circumstances, particularly presidential TFRs.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah it probably would not.

There is case law covering pilots failing to obtain information in their pre flight briefings when they briefed as recently as 20min before their flight. The FAA believes you should brief again just before the flight, then continuously throughout so as to always have the most up to date information.

Obviously it's not practical and the FAA is being ridiculous.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
The FAA is rapidly spiraling downhill and has been for several years now. I'm assuming it has something to do with all the budgetary tightening, but they are an incredibly obtuse and ineffective agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Will ADS-B In depict active TFRs along with weather and traffic?

• Locked thread