Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I forgot that the plot advances w.r.t. black mage army or whatever this quickly. How are those Vivi clones being suspended from the railing? Hooks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
On the subject of Vivi's physical attacks, I do find a particular use for them early on, when a certain character's ability set makes it more practical to weaken (and not kill) certain monsters. The specifics will obviously come up later, but Vivi's physical attacks do low but not insignificant damage, making him perfect for the job of Pokemon'ing that poo poo.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Man, poor Vivi.

All he wanted to do was check out a play.

:(

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Petiso posted:

As long as the church keeps itself in the background or only acts as a gameplay mechanic (like in Dragon Quest) everything's fine. The moment the church asks you to fulfill a plot-related mission? Oh boy.

Don't you beat up the pope in Dragon Quest 8?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rarity posted:

Man, poor Vivi.

All he wanted to do was check out a play.

:(

Vivi's story is basically a mix of 'man, poor kid' and 'this kid is growing really impressive'.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Vivi fulfills the required Bildungsroman for FFIX.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I can't imagine what it must be like having an existential crisis with a monkey man next to you screaming about mist or whatever. And this update reminded me of why I didn't like Steiner. He's a pompous rear end in a top hat. The question "Who decides right and wrong? You?" is something he failed to answer and will continue to not answer for a while.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

I can't imagine what it must be like having an existential crisis with a monkey man next to you screaming about mist or whatever. And this update reminded me of why I didn't like Steiner. He's a pompous rear end in a top hat. The question "Who decides right and wrong? You?" is something he failed to answer and will continue to not answer for a while.
that's called a character arc

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Mega64 posted:

Tell me when the cargo ship will arrive, or else the Alexandrian royal family will appropriate this property!
And then what?

I didn't realize Morrid was the best NPC. :allears:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Zeikier posted:

He just does not give a gently caress about the man head to toe in armour threatening to take his house away.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Zidane is probably getting protective of Vivi because the kid's only eight and eight-year-olds shouldn't get kidnapped. ...or doubt their nature as a conscious independent being.

They really sold how corrupt this place was.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I can't imagine what it must be like having an existential crisis with a monkey man next to you screaming about mist or whatever.

A grown man would probably turn evil and become the final boss.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

FF9 is a return to the more cartoony and upbeat style of Final Fantasy, you know, with such things as existential crises in the first act.

But seriously, that more serious kind of stuff has been around since at least FF4, and it's usually done pretty well.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Come to think of it, FFIX is the only FF game I've put more than a few hours into. I started six, but lost my save file, which was... disheartening. The remake of 3 on the DS had my attention for a while, but it was a bit too dry for my taste. Nine was the perfect amount of hand-hold-y for my adolescent ADD brain.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Don't you beat up the pope in Dragon Quest 8?

No, not really. The pope is actually a kind old man who get's betrayed and usurped by his underling.

You fight the Usurper, who admittedly calls himself the pope at this point (but he's really still Captain Douchebag). I think it's important to differentiate the two.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

One of your party members in DQ8 is even a member of the church, though admittedly a flimsy excuse for one.

But still, the church itself in DQ8 is fine. Even the guy you do fight is partially influenced by the game's villain, he wouldn't have done anything so extreme on his own. (Though he's a jerk.)

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Well the dream of the FF9 LP beating the FF7 one is dead :smith:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

zfleeman posted:

Come to think of it, FFIX is the only FF game I've put more than a few hours into. I started six, but lost my save file, which was... disheartening. The remake of 3 on the DS had my attention for a while, but it was a bit too dry for my taste. Nine was the perfect amount of hand-hold-y for my adolescent ADD brain.

I'd a similar experience. I've randomly played several FF games after I played and finished FFIX, but I didn't finish any other title. FFVI I played once up to the last dungeon before running out of steam and I got about halfway through FFXII and FFVIII. Every other title got some hours to test the waters, then I gave up on them, too. With the exception of FFXIV, I didn't even try the ones after XII, they just aren't my taste.

Now if they'd made a single player game in the style of FFXIV, I'd probably tried it, but so Final Fantasy for me is basically a series consisting of one game called Final Fantasy IX and that's it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Glazius posted:

Zidane is probably getting protective of Vivi because the kid's only eight and eight-year-olds shouldn't get kidnapped. ...or doubt their nature as a conscious independent being.

They really sold how corrupt this place was.

That, and a little bit of trying to impress Garnet with his heroism.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Endorph posted:

that's called a character arc

One I didn't find to be very good was the point, but of course we can't get into that for a few months or however long this ride may take.

mkwong98 posted:

A grown man would probably turn evil and become the final boss.

The screams of a monkey man can definitely turn a man evil, that's what happened to Broly.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Libluini posted:

I'd a similar experience. I've randomly played several FF games after I played and finished FFIX, but I didn't finish any other title. FFVI I played once up to the last dungeon before running out of steam and I got about halfway through FFXII and FFVIII. Every other title got some hours to test the waters, then I gave up on them, too. With the exception of FFXIV, I didn't even try the ones after XII, they just aren't my taste.

Now if they'd made a single player game in the style of FFXIV, I'd probably tried it, but so Final Fantasy for me is basically a series consisting of one game called Final Fantasy IX and that's it.

hmmmm....

Played the original as a kid, only beat it once as a kid. Have since beaten it a few more times as an adult.

Played 2 & 3 on emulators - didn't beat either of them (though I almost beat the 3rd one on the DS)

Have played and beaten all versions of 4 multiple times, but I won't touch the sequel with a 10-foot pole.

Beaten 5 once

Beaten 6 more times than I can count, and will occasionally go back to it.

Beaten 7 once, started playing it again and realized the story was retarded.

Beaten 8 once, and gave the CD to my worst enemy.

Beaten 9 multiple times, another one I occasionally go back to, and the only one I still own from the PS generation.

Beaten 10 once - wish I hadn't.

Skipped 11 - MMO doesn't qualify in my opinion.

Beaten 12 twice - lost steam during the third run.

Haven't played any past that.

So that would mean that Final Fantasy (for me) is a series consisting of 4,6, and 9 with 1 and 12 coming in as an honorable mention.

mauman fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 23, 2015

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

4, 5, 6, and 9 are the only Final Fantasies I've beaten. Out of all of them, 9 is the only one I've only beaten once. Yet, I love it as much as the rest. It's just really hard to play PS games with the way I live.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
X is a much better game with the expert sphere grid, having played it with both

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Mega64 posted:

gently caress THAT poo poo LET'S FOLLOW STEINER SOME MORE

I had no idea that's what that music was called. :allears:

Zeikier posted:

The man deserves his coffee.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

mauman posted:

So that would mean that Final Fantasy (for me) is a series consisting of 4,6, and 9 with 1 and 12 coming in as an honorable mention.

Something I'm starting to take away from this and the 7 thread:
A lot of Final Fantasy "fans" seem to be really fans of just a couple of them, the series as a whole is something only about 50-55% of the fans have played and enjoyed most of. I'm seeing more evidence for this theory as time goes on.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

SorataYuy posted:

A lot of Final Fantasy "fans" seem to be really fans of just a couple of them, the series as a whole is something only about 50-55% of the fans have played and enjoyed most of. I'm seeing more evidence for this theory as time goes on.

Well, Final Fantasy games are reinventing themselves every time, so chance is every main game will hit another cluster of people, so to speak.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SorataYuy posted:

You mean you think that people have different preferences? That's a pretty bold theory there.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

DemonTrigger posted:

FF9 is a return to the more cartoony and upbeat style of Final Fantasy, you know, with such things as existential crises in the first act.

But seriously, that more serious kind of stuff has been around since at least FF4, and it's usually done pretty well.

The entire plot of FF III was caused by an ancient, omnipotent wizard giving his three disciples the following gifts:
  • Vast magical knowledge
  • Dominion over the realm of dreams
  • Mortality
... and the guy getting stuck with the last one freaking the gently caress out and stopping the progression of time just to keep himself from eventually having to die.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

You mean you think that people have different preferences? That's a pretty bold theory there.

If by "preferences" you mean "finding some of the oddest reasons to be big whiny babbies", then yes.

SorataYuy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 23, 2015

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Libluini posted:

Well, Final Fantasy games are reinventing themselves every time, so chance is every main game will hit another cluster of people, so to speak.

This pretty much.

SorataYuy posted:

If by "preferences" you mean "finding some of the oddest reasons to be big whiny babbies", then yes.

Don't see any whining here. Just people having opinions.

Having opinions != Whining.

Just saying.

Now if you're talking about the ff7 thread, I wouldn't know anything about that thread.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 24, 2015

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

mauman posted:

Don't see any whining here. Just people having opinions.

Having opinions != Whining.

Just saying.

Now if you're talking about the ff7 thread, I wouldn't know anything about that thread.

I just mean the Final Fantasy fandom in general has turned out, at least in my experience, to be one of the biggest group of overgrown, selective-memoried, apparently-drug-addled whiny babbies that are never loving happy with anything done with this series, that I have ever had the misfortune to run across. Here, it has been a little different for the most part - I've actually enjoyed the discussions most of the time, it's been interesting. Enjoying the heck out of the thread, too, especially since I've been unable to get my system running or emulator configured properly (I miss being able to play my PSX games. :'( )

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

SorataYuy posted:

I think you are vastly overestimating the number of people that have played the whole series, if that's what you meant. I'm guessing the percentage of FF fans who have played all 12 non-MMO mainline installments is probably like 3%.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Schwartzcough posted:

I think you are vastly overestimating the number of people that have played the whole series, if that's what you meant. I'm guessing the percentage of FF fans who have played all 12 non-MMO mainline installments is probably like 3%.

That's probably a bit low. I'm guessing plenty of fans have at least played all 12 non-MMOs.

Now, actually beating all of them? 3% is probably accurate there. I myself have yet to finish 3 or 12. They be my not-so-private shames.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

SorataYuy posted:

I just mean the Final Fantasy fandom in general has turned out, at least in my experience, to be one of the biggest group of overgrown, selective-memoried, apparently-drug-addled whiny babbies that are never loving happy with anything done with this series, that I have ever had the misfortune to run across. Here, it has been a little different for the most part - I've actually enjoyed the discussions most of the time, it's been interesting. Enjoying the heck out of the thread, too, especially since I've been unable to get my system running or emulator configured properly (I miss being able to play my PSX games. :'( )

I see. Since you quoted me I thought maybe you were referring to me, which had me slightly confused.

Never mind then.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

It's me, I've played all of them.

Ask me which one is best. I'm sure the discussion that ensues will be stimulating.

Edit: It is, of course, Final Fantasy XIII that finally perfected the formula after the gross missteps of FF XII.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 24, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Litany Unheard posted:

It's me, I've played all of them.

Ask me which one is best. I'm sure the discussion that ensues will be stimulating.

Edit: It is, of course, Final Fantasy XIII that finally perfected the formula after the gross missteps of FF XII.

I actually thought FFXIII was alright. Not GREAT, mind you, but it had some neat ideas, even if they were bogged down by a few really bad calls. Game Over if the party leader dies? That is NEVER a good idea! Especially if the other two can revive the leader!

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

mauman posted:

I see. Since you quoted me I thought maybe you were referring to me, which had me slightly confused.

Never mind then.

Ah yeah, sorry about that, I didn't mean to be unclear there. No, you're just fine, I was just meaning in general, FF fans have sometimes made me hide my interest in the series, because otherwise I get to "hear all about the (self-insert) story [they] wrote about Kain's sister in 4, that changed the way the story went and everyone loved her and she made Kain stop being crazy and brainwashed much earlier in the story". *eye-twitch*

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

SorataYuy posted:

Ah yeah, sorry about that, I didn't mean to be unclear there. No, you're just fine, I was just meaning in general, FF fans have sometimes made me hide my interest in the series, because otherwise I get to "hear all about the (self-insert) story [they] wrote about Kain's sister in 4, that changed the way the story went and everyone loved her and she made Kain stop being crazy and brainwashed much earlier in the story". *eye-twitch*

To be fair, this isn't exactly unique to FF. This is like 98% of all fanfiction. There's a reason I never read the stuff. It's not even good for a cheap laugh like most badly-written stories are.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
How are people judging Final Fantasy fans? I've played every game in the main series except 11 at least once, beaten quite a few, but I still consider myself a fan. I dunno it feels like saying someone is only a "fan" of Batman if they haven't read every single comic including Detective Comics, And Robin, and all the other Bat titles. That's absurd. If you have played any Final Fantasy and enjoyed it, you are a fan.

W.T. Fits posted:

The entire plot of FF III was caused by an ancient, omnipotent wizard giving his three disciples the following gifts:
  • Vast magical knowledge
  • Dominion over the realm of dreams
  • Mortality
... and the guy getting stuck with the last one freaking the gently caress out and stopping the progression of time just to keep himself from eventually having to die.

I may not like FFIII, but that part of it is golden. Talk about sympathizing with a villain. How could you not get pissed off in that situation? Clearly you were the least favorite and you got completely hosed. That sort of "In the same situation, I might've made the same choice" is actually SUPER relevant to this game and I love it.

SorataYuy posted:

If you wanted to, you could describe just about every fan base this way. Your contributions to this page have been amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Bufuman posted:

To be fair, this isn't exactly unique to FF. This is like 98% of all fanfiction. There's a reason I never read the stuff. It's not even good for a cheap laugh like most badly-written stories are.

She made it worse - she was part of my social circle in college, and somehow assumed I A) Always wanted to hear about her characters, and B) that she had any real skill at telling stories about her role-playing characters that in any way at all made them interesting to hear. Especially with how often they were pretty blatant rip-offs of whatever JRPG she happened to have been into that month. One can only really take so many "thrilling" tales of the latest BadAzz thing done by a player who only seems to know how to Roll-play before one starts to make bad mental associations. To this day I run screaming from the room when people try to discuss Outlaw Star with me (the group ruined that one for me by feeling the need to verbally act out something not too dissimilar from that which you'd get in a F.A.T.A.L. game.) :suicide:

• Locked thread