Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Gammatron 64 posted:

My mom works at a school so I'm taking care of their bearded dragon over the summer.

Taking a peek out the box used for the journey from school to apartment

Don't let this movie give you any bad ideas.

Training for next year's evo. Naturally plays as Reptile in Mortal Kombat.

Sleeping on my beer belly while the power's out from a storm.

Hello friend!

WHARGLBLARGLBLARGHLBLABLAHGHGHRL

grumplestiltzkin posted:

This silly little fellow is a Wobbegong shark. It's got a cute little frilly beard and has a name that's fun to say. Wobbegong. They chill out on the seafloor and don't bother people.

I love wobbegongs, I've seen one in the wild (very exciting!) and I think I even got to pat one at Underwater World as a babby :kimchi: My favourites were always the sea cucumbers though, they're so squishy and soft :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Something that surprised me about beardies is how pissed they get if you wake them up at night. Didn't know it was possible for a reptile to give you the evil eye.

Guy teaches his five year old son how to bathe bearded dragons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lwolb6Mvxs

King Kambrook
Feb 14, 2012
Related to Sharkchat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOpQdzyQeoE

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kitten tries to copy mom

http://i.imgur.com/BrL38oy.gifv

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I took a holiday trip to Lisbon last week, and when I was sightseeing around a part of town called Belém I heard some squeaky sounds coming from a fountain. I walked over to see what it was all about, and then...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm at work at the moment and don't have any more pics, but I can always take some later.

She doesn't get handled a lot at school, and has a very, very skittish personality. She doesn't really like being held and is kind of a nervous lizard.

Also, I can only really take her out after she's pooped, because if I don't, she knows that if she poops, she's going back into the tank. And she has the more evil, vile, nasty smelling poop ever. She ruined one of my keyboards, but on the plus side, I got a nice new wireless keyboard out of it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

That's fine and all, but common wisdom is to swim for your life when you see a fin, even if it turns out to just be a dolphin that wanted to get busy. I maintain that those balls are sizable.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

SplitSoul posted:

That's fine and all, but common wisdom is to swim for your life when you see a fin, even if it turns out to just be a dolphin that wanted to get busy. I maintain that those balls are sizable.
Especially if it's a dolphin that wants to get busy.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

An Angry Bug posted:

Don't kinkshame.

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!
My sister's dogs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEDJShenwkQ

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

An Angry Bug posted:

Horny dolphins are scary :cry:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

SplitSoul posted:

The splashing and commotion of you desperately swimming for safety is likely to be confused for the thrashing of an injured prey animal. Calmly making your way out of the water is a good idea. Acting like every shark is the literal shark from Jaws is ignorant and counter productive and contributes to the sort of thinking that results in the needless slaughter of an important animal.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

grumplestiltzkin posted:

The splashing and commotion of you desperately swimming for safety is likely to be confused for the thrashing of an injured prey animal. Calmly making your way out of the water is a good idea. Acting like every shark is the literal shark from Jaws is ignorant and counter productive and contributes to the sort of thinking that results in the needless slaughter of an important animal.

How did you get that from that? It's not like the poster is the one scuba diving.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

mycot posted:

How did you get that from that? It's not like the poster is the one scuba diving.

This, I assume:

SplitSoul posted:

"Swim for your life" does not suggest the kind of calm but purposeful stroke that works best to avoid danger

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
http://i.imgur.com/j04ybhL.webm

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Chard posted:

This, I assume:

"Swim for your life" does not suggest the kind of calm but purposeful stroke that works best to avoid danger

Yeah but for all you know they're in Colorado so the lecture seems really out of place.

Anyway: This is my favorite owl video, because it looks SO loving happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE4JdQBFu34

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Joke's on all you shark apologists, I can't even swim. :smug:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Pixie is pleased with your attention, guys! So much that I decided to treat her for being such a cutie :3:

She figured out where the treats were coming from incredibly quickly.

But really, how can you say no to this face? :kimchi:

Faerie Fortune has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Jul 22, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Faerie Fortune posted:

Pixie is pleased with your attention, guys! So much that I decided to treat her for being such a cutie :3:

All my cats love this poo poo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Faerie Fortune posted:

When I babysit my parent's cats I get this all the time. Usually shortly followed by him biting my nose.

Foxkit
Feb 26, 2009

S is for sneaking missions. Can you see Snake sneaking?

Faerie Fortune posted:

My cats love these things, too. They're pretty much the only thing they'll accept having to fish out of their activity board.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Fun fact about secretary birds (that perhaps belongs in the badass thread) is that their main food source is snakes, which they stomp to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68BPPVVpN7s

(This is a rubber snake.)

E: pretty sure this is just the full video of that .gif.

Sorry for reaching a few pages back, but I'm just catching up with the thread.
I'll see your snake stomping bird and raise you a snake slamming bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5uG-OSuw-E

We got to see one of these in a bird show at the Milwaukee zoo.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Faerie Fortune posted:

Where do you live? Because that exact treat is sold in the US/Canada under the name "Temptations", but it's the same graphic, and seemingly the same treat.

Anyway. So, our cat screams if you pick her up. Like, howling and these weird goat noises and so on. Today I discovered if you hold open a shopping bag and let her run in, you can pick her up that way without any complaints. I decided to do an experiment and laid down a towel on the couch, let her lie down and then rolled her up like a burrito.

She looks super pissed, but I assure you she was purring like crazy. Success!

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Thread, I feel like we've known each other long enough. I'd like to introduce you to Emerson.

Emerson was brought into the Houlton Humane Society in Houlton, ME, by his previous owner, who got annoyed with him and "snapped" his neck (her words)*. He survived but his back legs are permanently disabled. The manager at HHS took him home and adopted him permanently. She also runs a grassroots animal shelter out of her home and fosters overflow and special needs animals, adopting some of the more difficult-case special needs dogs and cats. Her husband fashioned a wheelchair out of PVC pipes and wheels, but it was a little too heavy for him, so a kind person donated a custom-built wheelchair. When he's not bopping around in that, his mom wheels him around in this super cat stroller. The onesies are to keep his catheter (which is permanent because he can't go to the bathroom on his own) and wheelchair from chafing his skin and causing infections.

*From what I understand, yes, they have pursued criminal charges but I don't know what the ultimate outcome was. My guess is a plea deal of some sort is in the works.

Sadly, they got the big stroller because they found another cat in similar conditions and decided to make her Emerson's permanent sister. The two bonded instantly, but unfortunately a couple of days later, that kitten died from her injuries. So they found another disabled (from birth) kitten who doesn't have use of her back legs, so they're going to see if they'll bond too.

All of this (and more) can be found at their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Emerson-and-the-Gang-at-the-Millers-Safe-Haven/383395388475018?fref=ts

But what I really wanted you guys to see is a video of Weeble, a cat with cerebellar hyperplasia (CH), which causes the adorable and not-very-dangerous weaving and bobbing. CH has varying degrees of severity, from almost nil to very wobbly. It's not particularly dangerous, but with severe cases you have to keep them away from sharp edges and steep drops.

https://www.facebook.com/383395388475018/videos/vb.383395388475018/532844516863437/?type=2&theater

Weeble lives at the Safe Haven with Emerson and everyone else.

This shelter is amazing and is truly grassroots. They only recently got their 501(c) status and are now an official shelter/foster/hospice. If you ever want to donate to an extremely good cause, please consider them. Also, the lady of the house posts videos of the animals just about daily, so if you want to follow them you'll get some daily uplifting photos and videos in your feed. :3:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I thought this was the cute thread not the make me cry uncontrollably thread. :smith:

God I'm such a sap for anything animal related, god bless that woman for what she's doing with those animals, hope he bonds with that other kitty.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

This is as close to a domesticated red panda we're probably gonna get.

http://i.imgur.com/wD2n0Zz.gifv

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Thread, I feel like we've known each other long enough. I'd like to introduce you to Emerson.

Emerson was brought into the Houlton Humane Society in Houlton, ME, by his previous owner, who got annoyed with him and "snapped" his neck (her words)*. He survived but his back legs are permanently disabled. The manager at HHS took him home and adopted him permanently. She also runs a grassroots animal shelter out of her home and fosters overflow and special needs animals, adopting some of the more difficult-case special needs dogs and cats. Her husband fashioned a wheelchair out of PVC pipes and wheels, but it was a little too heavy for him, so a kind person donated a custom-built wheelchair. When he's not bopping around in that, his mom wheels him around in this super cat stroller. The onesies are to keep his catheter (which is permanent because he can't go to the bathroom on his own) and wheelchair from chafing his skin and causing infections.

*From what I understand, yes, they have pursued criminal charges but I don't know what the ultimate outcome was. My guess is a plea deal of some sort is in the works.

Sadly, they got the big stroller because they found another cat in similar conditions and decided to make her Emerson's permanent sister. The two bonded instantly, but unfortunately a couple of days later, that kitten died from her injuries. So they found another disabled (from birth) kitten who doesn't have use of her back legs, so they're going to see if they'll bond too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Emerson-and-the-Gang-at-the-Millers-Safe-Haven/383395388475018?fref=ts

But what I really wanted you guys to see is a video of Weeble, a cat with cerebellar hyperplasia (CH), which causes the adorable and not-very-dangerous weaving and bobbing. CH has varying degrees of severity, from almost nil to very wobbly. It's not particularly dangerous, but with severe cases you have to keep them away from sharp edges and steep drops.

https://www.facebook.com/383395388475018/videos/vb.383395388475018/532844516863437/?type=2&theater

This shelter is amazing and is truly grassroots. They only recently got their 501(c) status and are now an official shelter/foster/hospice. If you ever want to donate to an extremely good cause, please consider them. Also, the lady of the house posts videos of the animals just about daily, so if you want to follow them you'll get some daily uplifting photos and videos in your feed. :3:

Sorry if this comes off as a little rude, but is his neck permanently crooked like that, or is his posing in that pic a very unfortunate coincidence(also there's a very special section of Hell for people like that cat's previous owner)

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

This is Dexter:

Unfortunately, he's not doing too great right now. On Monday I woke up and his back legs were paralyzed so I rushed him to the vet. The vet gave him some pain pills and muscle relaxers which helped a little bit (he can walk now, he's just very wobbly), but now he's got really bad diarrhea and blood in his stool and he doesn't want to eat anything. I'm really worried for him, you guys.

TK8325 has a new favorite as of 13:28 on Jul 23, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

cash crab posted:

Where do you live? Because that exact treat is sold in the US/Canada under the name "Temptations", but it's the same graphic, and seemingly the same treat.

Anyway. So, our cat screams if you pick her up. Like, howling and these weird goat noises and so on. Today I discovered if you hold open a shopping bag and let her run in, you can pick her up that way without any complaints. I decided to do an experiment and laid down a towel on the couch, let her lie down and then rolled her up like a burrito.

Out of curiosity, how are you picking her up? Friend of mine has a cat that flips out if you pick her up without supporting her back feet. You have to let her "stand" on your hand and hold her up with the other. I've always wondered if there were other kitties with the same quirk.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Out of curiosity, how are you picking her up? Friend of mine has a cat that flips out if you pick her up without supporting her back feet. You have to let her "stand" on your hand and hold her up with the other. I've always wondered if there were other kitties with the same quirk.

Mine wouldn't flip out, but she'd never be comfortable being held if she wasn't supported by her feet. I'd kinda cross my arm in front of me with her on it to hold her.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

cash crab posted:

I haven't owned cats myself but I have relatives and friends who do and I'm reliably informed that a purrito is the best way to clip their little nails.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Alteisen posted:

I thought this was the cute thread not the make me cry uncontrollably thread. :smith:

God I'm such a sap for anything animal related, god bless that woman for what she's doing with those animals, hope he bonds with that other kitty.
Sorry! But at least Emerson's story has a happy ending. And even though he's had a hard life, he's got a good permanent home to live out his years, the absolute best care, and the publicity has helped the shelter raise funds and awareness to help many other animals.

drrockso20 posted:

Sorry if this comes off as a little rude, but is his neck permanently crooked like that, or is his posing in that pic a very unfortunate coincidence(also there's a very special section of Hell for people like that cat's previous owner)

Not rude at all...because of the way his neck was injured, his head is permanently turned like that. He can move it around--he can look around, over his shoulder, and can turn his head almost like a normal cat, but when he's sitting still, his head seems to settle like that.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

TK8325 posted:

This is Dexter:

Get well soon, Dexter.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

:swoon:

MarkAnthony!

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Holy poo poo people can be vile.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

The Dodo did an article on him last week I think which is how I found out about it and I started following the page. :3: He's definitely becoming famous. I'm really glad he found a permanent place and he's becoming quite the ambassador for animals that need special care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

:neckbeard:

• Locked thread