Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

J posted:

MJP is going to :yotj: after they deny his raise request, then they are going to pay the Citrix consultant $300/hour to reset people's passwords. Then some executive gets a fat bonus for keeping payroll costs down. Then the company decides "Hmm I guess we don't need a sysadmin or a helpdesk guy after all." Then the Citrix guy goes :homebrew:

Should cut a deal with the Citrix guy and agree to quit with no notice for $$$$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

J posted:

MJP is going to :yotj: after they deny his raise request, then they are going to pay the Citrix consultant $300/hour to reset people's passwords. Then some executive gets a fat bonus for keeping payroll costs down. Then the company decides "Hmm I guess we don't need a sysadmin or a helpdesk guy after all." Then the Citrix guy goes :homebrew:

We had an outage last 12 hours yesterday. Towards the end, with nobody able to figure it out, our execs contacted the old director of one of the departments. He went on to take a higher position at another company two years ago because the guy was a god drat genius and helped build the system that was broken in the first place.

I couldn't help but wonder how many thousands of dollars we paid him to troubleshoot on that call for the 3 hours he was on there until they figured it out.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

spankmeister posted:

i forget but there is a way to reset the dracs from within the OS. same with IPMI

Yeah it's
code:
racadm racreset soft
for Dell.

This turned out to be hardware failure, we're getting a tech sent out for tomorrow.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

What timezone is MJP in, I'm dying here :f5:

East coast U.S.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MJP posted:

I will be deleting my company email and not covering oncall on Saturday as a unilateral action. I will not be answering any calls unless it's from my family - gotta know what's going on with my grandfather. At this point I'm just about willing to play the goony goon.

Congratulations on giving your work reason to fire you with cause so that they don't have to pay unemployment.

Consider taking short term disability to care for your grandfather?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
ACTUAL RAISE UPDATE no not really. The boss couldn't get time with the HR lady until today. I'm out until Thursday, he's not in Thursday, so Friday is the very earliest.

The job hunt continues in the meantime.

J posted:

More like "they make his boss reset passwords and also do sysadmin poo poo and deny the boss' requests to utilize the consultant"

We only have two executives anyway, and I'm sure they give themselves decent bonuses as they desire.

Volmarias posted:

Congratulations on giving your work reason to fire you with cause so that they don't have to pay unemployment.

Consider taking short term disability to care for your grandfather?

The boss asked me just before I left if I'd be able to cover Saturday. I told him I make no guarantees to my sobriety, he said he understood.

My dad and uncles are rotating being with him. He's 98, has all his faculties about him, but his body's basically shutting down. I won't derail with all the stuff going on with that - the literal definition of out of scope, and we all know about out of scope.

I would have to burn PTO first, and disability only covers me being disabled. I do have STD through the state and LTD supplementary through a buy-up insurance program from work, but if I was to claim FMLA, they could opt to not grant it. Companies that employ less than 50 people within 75 miles of their headquarters are not required to grant FMLA if they don't want to.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Should cut a deal with the Citrix guy and agree to quit with no notice for $$$$.

I was actually toying with calling my old MSP and seeing if I could get a referral fee if I was able to get them to pitch a deal that made me look redundant without the job knowing, thus making them feel bad about outsourcing me and getting a severance plus the MSP cut.

Joke's on the job - the MSP couldn't handle the actual tech stuff unless they sourced and kept some smart people.

Potato Alley posted:

Because there are far too many companies where the reaction to growing a spine is "yeah we don't want any of those get out".

Best of luck MJP.

I think it's more likely they'll nope the gently caress out and try to negotiate two or three vacation days, rather than immediately terminate me. With the helpdesk guy, it took months of building a case, and he literally fell asleep at his desk. Multiple times daily. The CEO and CFO had both seen him. He could have been woken up and told to get out then and there, but that never happened. If they do can me, they'd do so for no cause and I'm fairly certain given how much teeth-pulling it is to spend money, an increase in their UI rates would not be done lightly.

If they do declare me terminated with extreme prejudice, it's UI time!

Thanks for all the support, guys. I may not have a Tony or a spec bucket to deal with but the initial well-climb-out combined with me working on how I handle stress combined with goony support has really helped keep me from grabbing a shovel and digging.

Until then I've got a convention this weekend and a few days down the shore to forget about work for a while.

MJP fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 23, 2015

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Had an interview today for what I was told was a Systems Support Analyst position. Get in the door and start talking to the manager and it turns out they're more interested in a Systems Admin position, but with heavy involvement in DB work - I haven't done a drat thing with DBs, and in fact I pointed out that my area of interest and specialization was virtualization. Absolutely no virtualization on the project, or at least none was discussed. I sat through the spiel getting some negative vibes, and it was pretty much cinched when I asked them what they enjoyed about working for this company. Second interviewer responded with "the really cool cars we sometimes see in the parking lot". That was enough for me and I just mentally checked out at that point. Even if by some miracle they do contact me to offer me a position I think I'll be passing. The steady FTE work (not a contract!) on a critical piece of AF technology with a 20+ year history was promising, but nothing about the position was even remotely interesting to me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Second interviewer responded with "the really cool cars we sometimes see in the parking lot".

Hahahaha!

"Sorry, there's no money for bonuses this year. But on the plus side if you all come on Saturday from 6:30 AM to 7 AM, you can take a picture of the CEOs car. Now, I've seen that car before and trust me when I say that you'll never see one like this outside of Top Gear!"

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Pulmonary Fibrosis came in....

My Girlfriends father has 2-5 years left in him if he doesn't get a transplant. :smithicide:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've gotten similar responses in other interviews. It's like those poor souls have been stuck in such a crap situation for so long that they readjust their whole outlook on work and life to make it more tolerable.

Q: What would you say is the best part of this job?

A: We don't get beat daily and sometimes the boss brings in donuts! We play real fast and loose here, you can even wear jeans on Friday!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

poo poo, I don't get donuts nor do I get to wear jeans. Sounds like a sweet place to work.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've gotten similar responses in other interviews. It's like those poor souls have been stuck in such a crap situation for so long that they readjust their whole outlook on work and life to make it more tolerable.

Q: What would you say is the best part of this job?

A: We don't get beat daily and sometimes the boss brings in donuts! We play real fast and loose here, you can even wear jeans on Friday!

"We have a casual, laid-back environment"
No jeans allowed, ever
No short sleeves allowed, ever
At some point midway through the position, management issued a policy forbidding facial hair - some clients had complained about onsite techs' appearance, and I was told to shave my goatee even though my position wasn't an onsite one, I told them they're going to have to send me home because I interviewed with that goatee and it wasn't a problem then
Crazy amounts of turnover
lovely health insurance

Yeah, that relative work environment situation is a true thing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's a fast paced environment (because we have to constantly sprint between the fires that keep getting lit.)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My favorite "You get to do a bit of everything!"

Translated - "We refuse to pay for experts or consultants so you'll have to learn to do a bit of everything poorly, also no new equipment or formal training for anything, good luck!"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"We're looking for a rock star"
TL: "don't apply to this if you want a life, or respect, or if you don't unironically watch and like Big Bang Theory"

"We offer a comprehensive benefit package"
TL: "you've literally never heard of the health insurance company we use, nor have any of your doctors"

"We offer paid holidays, vacation time, and sick time"
TL: "10 days banked PTO covering vacation, sick, personal, and bereavement is the new standard, deal with it"

"Our compensation is competitive"
TL: "prepare for a pay cut from your present role"

"We are looking to hire a sysadmin"
TL: "At least 50% of the work has you crawling under desktops, resetting passwords, and running systeminfo /c %computername% to prove that no, they didn't restart their computer"

"This job is located in New York, NY"
TL: "It's really Lahore, Pakistan - we just submitted it as New York to get people to read the posting"

"We respect work-life balance"
TL: "You might not be on-call for tickets this week, but you're sure as hell on-call for your manager every week"
"Especially Christmas Eve"

"We want someone who is crazy about documentation"
TL: "Because nobody else has documented jack poo poo"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

*sits in shorts and a hoodie and converse and snapback hat*

Granted, I'm just working on some linux boxes I'm doing product testing for but it's nice. Management though tends to dress nicer tho.

Things that annoy me tho:

I've been working on this product testing with another guy for over a month, not having to do phone work. Between email blasts, it's summer, etc they've been getting hit hard. So they decide to take me off the project for a day simply to help out with phone closing on a generally low traffic day. Keep in mind, I'm not first level phone support, and there is no CS level.

Of course, we do QA of agents calls, and this normally happens once a week. Of course, I have only 10~15 calls for them to pull from for that one day. Judging someone who hasn't touched the phones for a month, who likely isn't going to be finished this project for 2 more months, at the same level as someone who's been doing phone work consistently?

It's not like I've forgotten everything, mostly extremely minor rules or whatever. I just have a gut feeling they're gonna use it against me somehow.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Jeans and a T-shirt, and my boss talks cars with me at least as much as tickets.
It's nice.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Jeans and a Metallica shirt. We drank premixed margaritas on Tuesday afternoon. Although, everybody is in :yotj: mode right now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
We have to wear collared shirts and pants but I'm fine with that, and the new guy who sits next to me is also into baseball so that's cool.

I mean, if only the actual work wasn't terrible...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Spazz posted:

Jeans and a Metallica shirt. We drank premixed margaritas on Tuesday afternoon. Although, everybody is in :yotj: mode right now.

Should I worry about my VPS :ohdear:

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
There seems to be no official dress code here, but I usually wear a button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up. Fridays I just wear jeans and a t-shirt since no one else is usually here.

I see the older guys near retirement come in wearing ratty shirts and coaches shorts. They just don't give a gently caress.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
My work has no dress code for 50 weeks of year. We have a hard time convincing interviewees that they don't need to wear a suit.

For the remaining 2 weeks of the year we have customers on site for user group meetings and we're expected to dress "business neat" which after 2 years I don't really know what that entails. Mostly it's just button down shirts and the occasional tie.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Should I worry about my VPS :ohdear:

Nah, vNucleus is a side project for everybody on the team. We all have day jobs and do most stuff on nights and weekends, but Thalagyrt has a flexible work schedule so he handles stuff during the day. I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread -- I brought it up in the poo poo that pisses you off -- that my day job was bought out by a company that intends on brain raping and liquidating. I just gave notice on Tuesday.

vNucleus isn't going anywhere. Buy more VPS'. :getin:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Spazz posted:

Nah, vNucleus is a side project for everybody on the team. We all have day jobs and do most stuff on nights and weekends, but Thalagyrt has a flexible work schedule so he handles stuff during the day. I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread -- I brought it up in the poo poo that pisses you off -- that my day job was bought out by a company that intends on brain raping and liquidating. I just gave notice on Tuesday.

vNucleus isn't going anywhere. Buy more VPS'. :getin:

You'll always be Betaforce to me :allears:

And good luck with your :yotj:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I'm watching a reply all chain that includes the ALL EMPLOYEES WITH EMAIL global list. So far the requests for removal have been going on for almost 8 hours. :magical: . This includes HR replies asking people to stop replying all, people complaining and saying "please remove me from this list" and people explaining what the list means. Repeatedly. Of course we have a ticket that happens to note that our mail system is extremely slow right now, boy do I wonder why? :cripes:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'm watching a reply all chain that includes the ALL EMPLOYEES WITH EMAIL global list. So far the requests for removal have been going on for almost 8 hours. :magical: . This includes HR replies asking people to stop replying all, people complaining and saying "please remove me from this list" and people explaining what the list means. Repeatedly. Of course we have a ticket that happens to note that our mail system is extremely slow right now, boy do I wonder why? :cripes:

Honor their requests by removing everyone from the mailing list.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Customer wants forensic data retrieval from a hard drive. We started work on it Monday. Desk got cleaned up Tuesday. Hard drive's been missing since. Customer calls today asking how it's going.

:getin: :suicide:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

notwithoutmyanus posted:

We had this happen last summer, although ours lasted about 4 hours. I ended up saving the entire chain in an archive folder because there were some seriously deranged melt-downs over that time. Like VPs threatening people's jobs because we have a lot of smart-rear end engineers who can't not touch the poop. It was the most entertaining thing I've seen at work next to the time two coworkers in a relationship had a bad breakup, but still had to sit next to each other in the cube farm.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just restrict the senders of that address in Exchange moving forward. Limit it to like the CEO's head admin assistant or something.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Latest reply:

Random employee posted:

Guyyyyyyyyyyyyys !!!!!!!!!!!!

STOP TO REPLY ALL AND REMOVE ME FROM THIS LIST FOR GOD SAKE

(signature block including images, and more employees that weren't already copied)

It's growing. :getin:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I usually reply to all with this asking me to keep me on the list. Am I doing it wrong? :ohdear:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Malek posted:

I usually reply to all with this asking me to keep me on the list. Am I doing it wrong? :ohdear:

You're replying all.

So yes

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's not very difficult to lock Exchange mailing lists to disable reply-all for everyone except certain users.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Change the distribution list to a moderated one and require HR to approve messages before they are delivered. This would happen sooner or later if that there aren't restrictions or message moderation in place.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
This made me laugh, mostly because it's not as uncommon as the news station probably thinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLERL4_SveI

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ugh really

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I've got someone coming in tomorrow who wants help paying their Cryptowall ransom. :smith: Anyone gone through the process before? Apparently it involves buying loving bitcoins or something and I'm not sure where to start. Does the ransom notice actually give you clear instructions?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tell them it doesn't help, you don't get your files back anyway. (Usually you do but you shouldn't negotiate with terrorists) and that they're poo poo out of luck if they didn't have a backup.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Collateral Damage posted:

Tell them it doesn't help, you don't get your files back anyway. (Usually you do but you shouldn't negotiate with terrorists) and that they're poo poo out of luck if they didn't have a backup.
That's stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Better than touching the poop.

• Locked thread