Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You'd have to check TheTVDB for the episode "number" though.

And part of my issue is that the "extras" I was looking at (venture bros s1) aren't considered "specials" by TVDB.

Speaking of, what the hell is going on with Steven Universe S2 numbering?! They're so wrong, and it seems like an easy thing to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

EC posted:

Speaking of, what the hell is going on with Steven Universe S2 numbering?! They're so wrong, and it seems like an easy thing to fix.

Three steven bombs so episodes got shuffled around and moved out of their intended order, amazon and itunes doing their own thing for episode numbering, scene doing THEIR own thing for episode numbering and no dvds or blu-rays in sight.

It's kind of a mess.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone know how to get Kodi onto the main screen of a Fire TV? I just picked up a second one, and my living room one is setup perfect. I don't have to launch it through Ikono Art anymore on that Stick, it's in my menu legitimately. I remember I "Purchased" it off of Amazon, so I went to my digital purchase for it, but it won't let me push it to the new Stick.

I already sideloaded it, and it works perfect, but I don't have the icon for the front page. I have a feeling I did it from the App's page on Amazon, but it looks like they pulled it. I can see it in my digital purchase history, but when I click on it's name, it brings me to a 404 page.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

IUG posted:

Does anyone know how to get Kodi onto the main screen of a Fire TV? I just picked up a second one, and my living room one is setup perfect. I don't have to launch it through Ikono Art anymore on that Stick, it's in my menu legitimately. I remember I "Purchased" it off of Amazon, so I went to my digital purchase for it, but it won't let me push it to the new Stick.

I already sideloaded it, and it works perfect, but I don't have the icon for the front page. I have a feeling I did it from the App's page on Amazon, but it looks like they pulled it. I can see it in my digital purchase history, but when I click on it's name, it brings me to a 404 page.

Amazon removed kodi from the app store so you can't get it up on the main screen anymore without using llama or installing firestarter or something.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah that's lame. So that's one FireStick setup right, and another that's going to bug me. I guess I'll have to do it the old way.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Use Firestarter. You install it, tell it to load the regular fire tv interface on boot (or whatever you want) and to load Kodi on a double click of the home button, and you're good to go.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

In Emby, is it possible to scrape TV show information from IMDB, and if so, do it for only one show? I've got a kids show where TheTVDB lists each half episode as a separate episode so it never scrapes correctly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I know Kodi can handle it if you have one video file with multiple episodes, you just have to name it properly. You do it by naming the file "s01e01e02e03" (obviously with the correct season and episode numbers typed in). If you do that, all the episodes will show up.

The problem at this point is that if you play the second (or third) episode, it plays the file from the beginning. What you need to do is find the break point in the file, go set a bookmark, and set an episode bookmark. That way, when you play the second episode, it will start at the correct spot.

You'll still get some issues. The first episode will continue to the end of the file, playing all the other episodes. Marking one watched marks all the others. Also, if you stop watching one episode, playing another will ask you if you want to resume where the first left off.

Unfortunately, none of this works with Animaniacs. Instead of naming the episodes "1, 2, 3, etc", they are named "1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, etc". The scraper doesn't like the periods and stops looking after the first one. So, Kodi only lists the first segment instead of all the segments or the entire episode.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 22, 2015

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

Unfortunately, none of this works with Animaniacs. Instead of naming the episodes "1, 2, 3, etc", they are named "1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, etc". The scraper doesn't like the periods and stops looking after the first one. So, Kodi only lists the first segment instead of all the segments or the entire episode.
Animaniacs scrapes fine if you use the aired names, not the dvd names. Then it's the standard "s01e01e02e03", though I'll admit it's an incredible pain getting all the files named correctly since thetvdb gives each separate segment it's own episode name and there's anywhere from 1 to 6 segments per half-hour show.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

In Emby, is it possible to scrape TV show information from IMDB, and if so, do it for only one show? I've got a kids show where TheTVDB lists each half episode as a separate episode so it never scrapes correctly.

No, it only scrapes from TVDB, OpenDB and MovieDB. If you want others you will have to write a custom scraper (see the forums, someone might've already done it for IMDB) or just grab an NFO file for that particular show.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

No, it only scrapes from TVDB, OpenDB and MovieDB. If you want others you will have to write a custom scraper (see the forums, someone might've already done it for IMDB) or just grab an NFO file for that particular show.

There are options to scrape from imdb with in kodi. There is also the option to edit the TVDB if there is something particularly broken about the information.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

g0del posted:

Animaniacs scrapes fine if you use the aired names, not the dvd names. Then it's the standard "s01e01e02e03", though I'll admit it's an incredible pain getting all the files named correctly since thetvdb gives each separate segment it's own episode name and there's anywhere from 1 to 6 segments per half-hour show.

Oh, good to know. Now to see if it's worth it going through 99 shows and setting it all up!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

HERAK posted:

There are options to scrape from imdb with in kodi. There is also the option to edit the TVDB if there is something particularly broken about the information.

He was asking about Emby, I presume hes using the Emby addon for Kodi. I don't think you can use Kodi scraping and import that into Emby, the addon writes to the Kodi DBs but not the other way around AFAIK. It could never merge my libraries when I tried at least.

I've personally had little success in getting anything fixed at thetvdb (some shows are locked down and/or the mods go nuts over a change) but that's certainly an option.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

I've personally had little success in getting anything fixed at thetvdb (some shows are locked down and/or the mods go nuts over a change) but that's certainly an option.

Yeah, it took me three months to get them to fix Aeon Flux where they had two season 2, episode 1s listed.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
So the final version of Isengard is out now.

http://kodi.tv/kodi-15-0-isengard-one-release-to-rule-them-all/

kodi.tv posted:

Kodi 15.0 Features

Across platforms, Kodi itself has gained quite a lot of features. Some notable examples include:

• A new chapter selector window – Allows you to visually browse and select chapters from mkvs and other containers that support chapters.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wn4KIJcHNI
  • Adaptive seeking (aka Skip Steps) – The more times you press a button to seek in a period of time, the larger the jump forward or backward will be.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QrhphxMJCQ
  • Audio and Subtitle Lists – For content that includes multiple audio and subtitle choices, you can select from a full list of choices, rather than manually searching through a spinner.

• Language Add-ons and Expanded International Preferences – Now language translations aren’t dependent upon release, but get regularly updated to all users as the add-ons themselves update. Additionally, you now have total control over date, time, temperature and more displayed formats.

• Improved Add-on Manager – The add-on manager has now been reworked to help make finding the add-ons you are looking for easier.

Additional Improvements and Changes

Other improvements include:

• ffmpeg 2.6.3 update
  • Improved Closed Captioning support in Live TV
  • Fixed music video queuing
  • Allow scanning of new sources and marking as watched during other library operations such as “update library”
  • Windows DXVA HEVC hardware decoding support if driver and hardware support exist
    And more. See release notes for RC2, RC1, Beta2 and Beta1 for a full list.

Not a huge fan of the "adaptive" seeking myself but there's probably a switch to turn it off somewhere. Overall it seems like a solid release, they put a lot of work into the Android support this time around and finally got on the Play store.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Just remembered a question: I set up the Aeon Nox skin on my HTPC. I don't want to go through all the trouble to manually setup my desktop to work the same. Is there a way of copying the settings from one computer to another?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Uthor posted:

Yeah, it took me three months to get them to fix Aeon Flux where they had two season 2, episode 1s listed.

Yeah i had some luck with a couple of obscure shows, but the amount of weird drama about what is tv and what isn't, as well as sourcing is frustrating for a number of shows.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Uthor posted:

Just remembered a question: I set up the Aeon Nox skin on my HTPC. I don't want to go through all the trouble to manually setup my desktop to work the same. Is there a way of copying the settings from one computer to another?

The location of the file differs per platform, but if you can find the guisettings.xml file in the Kodi userdata folder, you can just copy over the entire <skinsettings> block to the same file on the new machine to have the skin setup exactly the same. You may have to go and manually adjust any skin setting that uses a filepath though (like custom backgrounds or anything like that).

evilalien fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 22, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

They banned my account for offering a different order for a show along with a URL source pointing to the studio and an offer to help make the changes. I had never interacted with them in any way before. I was totally polite about it and have previously donated to them. Like no warning, just banned. I found out later they have this weird unofficial policy where if they lock a particular show down they basically don't want to hear poo poo from anyone about it and its open season on users who ask.

So yeah gently caress those guys haha.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
The TVDB is run by some of the biggest spergs on the internet. The worst one is the mod with the anime avatar.

RE: Kodi 15.0, I am super disappointed to see that UPNP library sharing didn't make this version, and slightly disappointed that RetroPlayer integration didn't make it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

When you say "grab" an NFO file, are these readily available someplace, or should I just make my own? I suspect I'll end up doing that latter, if Emby is capable of scraping only a single show from its NFO file.

Also, I just got that the name Emby = M.B. = MediaBrowser.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
You would have to create it or use a metadata manager to do so. I don't have much experience beyond making a few basic ones so that I could get my workout routines into the TV shows section in Kodi.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

RE: Kodi 15.0, I am super disappointed to see that UPNP library sharing didn't make this version, and slightly disappointed that RetroPlayer integration didn't make it.
What is UPNP library sharing? Kodi already shares it's library using DLNA/UPNP and it can also connect to other DLNA/UPNP servers.

RetroPlayer would have been nice though and perhaps a built-in "extras" system for ripped blurays/dvds that have a lot of extra content. (EDIT: I know there is an addon called VideoExtras but I was hoping for something more integrated)

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Vinlaen posted:

What is UPNP library sharing? Kodi already shares it's library using DLNA/UPNP and it can also connect to other DLNA/UPNP servers.

RetroPlayer would have been nice though and perhaps a built-in "extras" system for ripped blurays/dvds that have a lot of extra content. (EDIT: I know there is an addon called VideoExtras but I was hoping for something more integrated)

You know how you can share/sync your library using SQL? They have been working on a method to let you do this with just uPnP/DLNA, which I thought was supposed to be in the 15.0, but I guess not.

edit: see here

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224794

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 22, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I would have been happy with getting the ability to view trailers over upnp.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

When you say "grab" an NFO file, are these readily available someplace, or should I just make my own? I suspect I'll end up doing that latter, if Emby is capable of scraping only a single show from its NFO file.

Also, I just got that the name Emby = M.B. = MediaBrowser.

I had the same problem you are having a while back and someone in this thread recommended to me to use Tiny Media Manager, which is a free program you can use to make your own NFO files (among other things). I never figured out if there was a way to automate the whole process, so I just grabbed the episode information from either IMDB or wherever and manually entered it myself. This was all for XMBC/Kodi but it's worth a shot to see if it'll work for Emby.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

evilalien posted:

The location of the file differs per platform, but if you can find the guisettings.xml file in the Kodi userdata folder, you can just copy over the entire <skinsettings> block to the same file on the new machine to have the skin setup exactly the same. You may have to go and manually adjust any skin setting that uses a filepath though (like custom backgrounds or anything like that).

Thanks. This almost worked! It didn't carry over the view/sorting of the libraries or the setup of the submenus, but everything else was good. Saved me a ton of work.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Uthor posted:

Thanks. This almost worked! It didn't carry over the view/sorting of the libraries or the setup of the submenus, but everything else was good. Saved me a ton of work.

Right, the view/sorting stuff is in the <viewstates> block which is also safe to copy over future reference, and the submenu stuff should be in there somewhere as well. Realistically you can copy over that entire file, you just have to be willing to go through all of the settings and change stuff that is machine dependent (file paths, hardware settings, device names, etc).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I had the same problem you are having a while back and someone in this thread recommended to me to use Tiny Media Manager, which is a free program you can use to make your own NFO files (among other things). I never figured out if there was a way to automate the whole process, so I just grabbed the episode information from either IMDB or wherever and manually entered it myself. This was all for XMBC/Kodi but it's worth a shot to see if it'll work for Emby.

Thanks. It ended up being easier to just do it one at a time within Emby though. Still way more work than I wanted to do. I hate TheTVDB sooooo much.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
You guys are aware of the XEM, right? It allows remapping TVDB's listings to formats that the "scene"and other places use, with a scraper available in the official Kodi repos. Works well if you don't care about your library listings lining up with Trakt's.

http://thexem.de/

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Keito posted:

You guys are aware of the XEM, right? It allows remapping TVDB's listings to formats that the "scene"and other places use, with a scraper available in the official Kodi repos. Works well if you don't care about your library listings lining up with Trakt's.

http://thexem.de/

Yeah, that's the first thing I tried, but while the show was listed, it didn't have any info for it :sigh:

edit: which is strange cuz I know I got this working once like a year and a half ago with XBMC

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Upgraded to Isengard final last night on the Fire TV, no issues. It feels a bit faster if anything. I'm using Eminence which doesn't have any issues that I know of but I don't use LiveTV or some of its other stuff.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The new skip feature sucks. I liked it better when you could just forward 30 seconds or 10 minutes at a time.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hmm yeah I don't care for adaptive skip either, there's a weird delay where it seems to just wait for another input. I'm farting around trying to figure out how to disable it in the options, found this post but haven't tried it yet. Apparently to get the small skip back yet you need to make a change to the keymap since they changed the action ID.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Anybody got any tips for correct 24fps playback? Running on an nvidia card on wi does and am struggling to get everything playing right. If HD stuff plays correctly then SD stuff has audio lag.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Bonzo posted:

The new skip feature sucks. I liked it better when you could just forward 30 seconds or 10 minutes at a time.

Turn on expert mode and change it under settings, video to whatever you like then. They gave you more options, not less.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

Hmm yeah I don't care for adaptive skip either, there's a weird delay where it seems to just wait for another input. I'm farting around trying to figure out how to disable it in the options, found this post but haven't tried it yet. Apparently to get the small skip back yet you need to make a change to the keymap since they changed the action ID.

If I understand how skip steps work, each button press gives you a larger single skip (10s/30s/1m/3m) and that lag is so you can keep adjusting the skip step until you get it right. It would suck to accidentally hit the button too many times and skip too far ahead. I can see how it would be annoying though. Personally I'd like to have Netflix style skipping where you get a snapshot of various increments in the video you can choose from. Not sure if that would be too taxing on the system though.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If I understand how skip steps work, each button press gives you a larger single skip (10s/30s/1m/3m) and that lag is so you can keep adjusting the skip step until you get it right. It would suck to accidentally hit the button too many times and skip too far ahead. I can see how it would be annoying though. Personally I'd like to have Netflix style skipping where you get a snapshot of various increments in the video you can choose from. Not sure if that would be too taxing on the system though.

As I mentioned right above, you can go to settings, video and there is a (new) field for skip steps (turn on advanced/expert mode if you don't see it). You can change the skip amount down to whatever you want including all the way back to what it was if you want.

Kodi now has support for the chapter-style skipping you mention as well, it's just not implemented well in the default skin - you have to go to bookmarks to see it. Also I am not sure how it is generating the thumbnails (something Netflix, etc. do server-side and Plex/Emby have an option to do on their end - I don't see an option for it in Kodi).

As skins are updated to support it I suspect some will come up with better ways of implementing it.

Edit: Looks like Kodi only does it for chapters; first your video has to have chapter markers, then it will screen cap each chapter. Similar to how Emby does it and different from Netflix, Roku, and (locally) Plex, which take a lot more caps (every 10 seconds) regardless of chapter markers, and is a lot more work (also a lot more useful).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Any weird incompatibilities I should know about before upgrading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EC posted:

Any weird incompatibilities I should know about before upgrading?

If you are using Windows 10, or planning to next week, you should use the DirectX 11 build (it's posted in the forums, they just updated that build to Isengard final).

Isengard has a number of playback issues with 10 and DirectX 9. As a bonus though, 11 works better/uses less CPU.

Haven't had any issues with Linux.