Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

amuayse posted:

I always liked how Marisa used Western astrological inspired magic through Chinese alchemy in comparison to Patchouli's using Wu Xing magic through Goetic paraphernalia.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Clarste posted:

Kasen isn't particularly religious. Part of her character is that she doesn't really understand what a hermit is, other than the general "badass superhuman wiseperson" stereotype. She's a nice person playing hermit, without much if any spiritual background.

Kasen's cool.

It's kind of interesting seeing how there's a lot of references to humans becoming youkai through various things, here we have a youkai who really wants to be a human.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She's super sketchy about it though. Even though she seems actually invested in trying to be a hermit and in helping out at the shrine when asked, she still basically outright says that she's on the side of the Youkai and is generally still fairly youkai-like in a lot of the things she does.

If anything she might be using her Hermit masquerade as a means to an end of searching for her hand and dealing with the barrier or whatever, rather than just simply wanting to be a hermit. She could just feel compelled to act as such due to Oni-honesty even though she is the least honest Oni in existence. Or maybe for some other reason, we still don't know a lot about her.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

she still basically outright says that she's on the side of the Youkai and is generally still fairly youkai-like in a lot of the things she does.

She seemed pretty appalled when Yukari said they're on the same side, and immediately started dismantling her plans. When did she outright say she's on the youkai's side?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it was in the chapter Reimu took up fortune telling and managed drive away all her usual shrine visitors by having humans regularly come by.

Kasen takes it upon herself to get things back to the status-quo and I think she says something along the lines of "I'm not doing this for the shrine, this is for the sake of the Youkai". Could just be misremembering the line though. And I think she is less appalled that Yukari said she's on the Youkai's side and more conflicted about whether she should be content with some youkai spies hanging about the human village or do the Hermity thing and drive away some dangerous creatures.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I thought she was just shocked that Yukari realized what she was. Also, I don't think she had previously thought of humans and youkai as being on different sides: she seems to be one of those "can't we all just get along?" people.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've just realized it's been way too long since I've read official Touhou stuff :shobon: Can't keep up with you guys one bit!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
If it makes you feel any better, I never bothered with Curiosities in Lotus Asia.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Curiosities in Lotus Asia is really good and you should read along with all other touhou print works.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The only one that isn't good is the moon one.

Which might be required for the next game now.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Silent sinner in blue is pretty good except for the part where Yorihime ends every fight by going "i summon god". The ending is fantastic though.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Nages posted:

Silent sinner in blue is pretty good except for the part where Yorihime ends every fight by going "i summon god". The ending is fantastic though.

I have the same frustration with those Memory of Phantasm animations. Getting a little irritating just seeing Reimu Fantasy Seal her way out of everything.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nages posted:

Yeah, ZUN just can't write fight scenes and I'm glad he learned not to do them in his other mangas. Also I loved Cage in Lunatic Runagate adding Yukari owning Eirin to the ending.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Yorihime doesn't really "get" danmaku. She ends the fight with Reimu using the threat of mutually assured destruction. Kind of defeats the point of a victimless fight. Though Reimu was a huge cheating rear end in a top hat that was playing up the villain role a bit too well.

I agree that no danmaku fights in the comics is preferable to the half-assed ones in SSiB.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
but bombing through everything is the true touhou experience

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Yeah, ZUN just can't write fight scenes and I'm glad he learned not to do them in his other mangas. Also I loved Cage in Lunatic Runagate adding Yukari owning Eirin to the ending.

The fight between the three fairies and Yukari was good

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Well, it didn't really add anything, since that was always supposed to be part of the story.

I think part of the problem here is that SSiB and CiLR were meant to be read side by side, one month at a time. In fact, all three of these works (SSiB, CiLR, and Inaba) have the exact same title in Japanese (儚月抄: Bougetsushou). But since translating prose is generally considered more annoying for fan-translators, CiLR came out way later for us than it was supposed to, and this affected our opinion of SSiB. We were supposed to see Eirin comeuppance immediately after Yukari's surrender, we were supposed to see Toyohime as questioning the purity of the moon before she even did anything, etc.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I hope the next game is a Phantasmagoria.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

amuayse posted:

:agreed:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

amuayse posted:

That lovely fmv game?

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Stealing this from the Vita thread in Games: http://gematsu.com/2015/07/touhou-p...arena-announced

Never forget totally canon touhou Maruaya Shamei.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Ryza posted:

Stealing this from the Vita thread in Games: http://gematsu.com/2015/07/touhou-p...arena-announced

Never forget totally canon touhou Maruaya Shamei.

Oh my god, it took me a couple of minutes but just got it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm not quite sure how that misspelling is even possible.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Release GoS already, I need another excuse to play it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm not quite sure how that misspelling is even possible.

Japanese doesn't have spaces.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Japanese doesn't have spaces.

Yeah I know, but is Maruaya even a name? Because I don't know how you'd look at it and assume her first name's not Aya.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah I know, but is Maruaya even a name? Because I don't know how you'd look at it and assume her first name's not Aya.

much like the british drive in the wrong lanes, the japanese have their names in the wrong order so you'd end up trying to parse "shameimaruaya"

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Do not even ask posted:

much like the british drive in the wrong lanes, the japanese have their names in the wrong order so you'd end up trying to parse "shameimaruaya"

Actually, the British drive on the right side of the road. :colbert:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Also, you know, 5 seconds of Google will tell you the character names.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

A lot of Touhou characters actually have weird names that you wouldn't know how to read at a glance. Google would definitely help, but that would require them to care.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Hell, a lot of those names are weird in Japanese, too. Yuyuko and Futatsuiwa stand out in particular.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
loving "Utsuho".

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Shiki Eiki Yamaxanadu is my favorite

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

im flandoll

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

amuayse posted:

Shiki Eiki Yamaxanadu is my favorite

Don't you mean Yamada.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
http://blog.livedoor.jp/tohomemory/archives/44901557.html

It's like these covers get more obtuse with every release:

That third image though...Looks pretty familiar.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
"Normal"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

mima joke

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Well you see Mima has a moon on her hat and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

There is something that looks like dango on the far right. Powered up Ringo confirmed for last boss!