Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It really isn't worth it IMO - those systems are just too slow to bother with now especially with W7.

Also it probably uses a 1.8" disk which will make finding a suitable replacement more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

technado
Jan 1, 2010
Having had the AOA150 disassembled in the past to replace the wifi card, I can confirm it does use a standard 2.5in notebook drive, so that is not a concern. However, I had not taken the slowness and age of the system into consideration when planning this. I now agree that this would be a futile endeavor, so I'll pass.

That, and the bug introduced by the unlocked BIOS (which I had tried to install) seems to be permanent, so it's a moot point anyway to install an SSD into a computer that'll only run for 15 seconds at a time. :p

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Grim Up North posted:

Good news, Samsung believes the Linux /Samsung SSD TRIM data loss thing is a Linux bug and will release a patch for Linux today.

I hope you didn't hold your breath waiting for that patch.

I'm genuinely curious if they found a real bug and will have a real fix or if it will be a hack that just disables a bunch of features on their own (broken) drives. Or if simply nothing will happen, like now.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've never run into this type of thing before but I got a Lenovo Flex 2 15" Laptop and attempted to use a Crucial BX100 SSD. Laptop would detect the drive at boot screen about %50 of the time but absolutely nothing would make the Windows installer find the SSD. loving not compatible or something. Avoid this combo.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Im having some issues on startup, potentially hanging up on the samsung magician icon in the tool tray. It hangs for a good while, also I am unable to launch any programs during this time. After maybe a minute it releases its hold and all is well.

I ran samsung magician performance test, do these numbers look normal? I've run it before but to me this implies that it thinks it is reading and writing at 5000 MB/s ?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Looks like you have RAPID on, the primary purpose of which seems to be to inflate their own benchmark numbers to the point of meaninglessness. I actually have it on myself because I have plenty of RAM and it doesn't hurt anything, but yeah that would explain the ridiculous numbers. Try another free utility like HD Tune if you want to see more realistic benchmarks.

Have you tried setting it so Magician doesn't run at startup, and see if that's in fact the problem? Turning RAPID off and seeing if that makes a difference might be another option.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought RAPID was one of the reasons to buy a Samsung. :confused:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Josh Lyman posted:

I was just looking for troubling numbers and those didn't make sense to me, I dont think he was saying it was bad. In fact that seems very cool it can run that "fast", but after turning it off I get values I expect.

Except... it was very unhappy when I did. I had to reboot several times because everytime I logged in, the screen would go black. But I c ould see my cursor, and I could ctrl+alt+delete and see that screen. Couldn't access task manager though... after a few reboots it slowly came back (like icons loading slowly). I'm not sure if I just poked the original problem a little more or whats going on here. After reenabling Rapid I'm back to where I was, slow windows loading after logging in.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Run HD Tune or similar and see if there are any horrible dips.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Josh Lyman posted:

The primary motivator has been reliability and cost. Intel is what you buy when you're more flexible on cost.

I had RAPID enabled for a long time and then I turned it off and noticed no difference. It's nice to have if you have a workload that can benefit from it but I guess none of my usage works for that. I don't run too many games off of my SSD, though I could afford to move more onto it, and those that I do run aren't bottlenecked by an SSD.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Josh Lyman posted:

I was never that happy with RAPID to be honest. Seemed to cause more trouble than it was worth.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skandranon posted:

I was never that happy with RAPID to be honest. Seemed to cause more trouble than it was worth.

I had zero problems with it, but when I moved to Win10, which Samsung didn't support with RAPID at the time, I didn't miss it at all. It did basically zero for perceptible performance (confounded by comparing RAPID on Win7 to RAPID-less on Win10).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Skuto posted:

I hope you didn't hold your breath waiting for that patch.

I'm genuinely curious if they found a real bug and will have a real fix or if it will be a hack that just disables a bunch of features on their own (broken) drives. Or if simply nothing will happen, like now.

This is the end of the thread discussing it: http://www.spinics.net/lists/raid/msg49468.html

The fix is surprisingly simple:
code:
diff --git a/block/bio.c b/block/bio.c
index 2a00d349cd68..616b0e6f910a 100644
--- a/block/bio.c
+++ b/block/bio.c
@@ -1842,7 +1842,15 @@ struct bio *bio_split(struct bio *bio, int sectors,
 	BUG_ON(sectors <= 0);
 	BUG_ON(sectors >= bio_sectors(bio));

-	split = bio_clone_fast(bio, gfp, bs);
+	/*
+	 * Discards need a mutable bio_vec to accommodate the payload
+	 * required by the DSM TRIM and UNMAP commands.
+	 */
+	if (bio->bi_rw & REQ_DISCARD)
+		split = bio_clone_bioset(bio, gfp, bs);
+	else
+		split = bio_clone_fast(bio, gfp, bs);
+
 	if (!split)
 		return NULL;

deimos fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 24, 2015

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

deimos posted:

This is the end of the thread discussing it: http://www.spinics.net/lists/raid/msg49468.html

Alright, I take back anything bad I might have implied about Samsung. That's a legit bug and fix.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm thinking about changing my SSD that is an ancient one of 75Gb for a Samsung EVO but I'm wondering if I should go 500 or 250 Gb?
Also, are there much difference between Evo vs Pro?

I'm thinking about putting steam on it as well and the OS so I guess 500 would be best?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Le0 posted:

I'm thinking about changing my SSD that is an ancient one of 75Gb for a Samsung EVO but I'm wondering if I should go 500 or 250 Gb?
Also, are there much difference between Evo vs Pro?

I'm thinking about putting steam on it as well and the OS so I guess 500 would be best?
Yes, get a 500GB 850 Evo. That's what I upgraded to from a 120GB SandForce SSD.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

My SSD hit 19GB out of 111GB I installed Windows 8.1 on it and thats it, I tried to use Windirstat with it but I am afraid on what to delete.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

My SSD hit 19GB out of 111GB I installed Windows 8.1 on it and thats it, I tried to use Windirstat with it but I am afraid on what to delete.

Did you upgrade Windows? Run the disk cleanup tool and let it remove the Windows.old folder.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Also try the free and excellent CCleaner: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner to squeeze some more space out of your drive.

128 GB is just really small for any OS install, I had one for a while and I made it work but I was constantly having to micromanage storage.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

RightClickSaveAs posted:

128 GB is just really small for any OS install, I had one for a while and I made it work but I was constantly having to micromanage storage.

Windows is the only OS that bloats out of control. It's also the only OS that's really decent for gaming, and for that you're going to want a bigger SSD. I ran 120GB with no problems for years and now have 500GB but most of my games won't get enough benefit to bother with moving them.

To free up space clear out the old Windows stuff and then remove all but the newest system restore point. Windows loves to fill up your drives with useless restore points. I thought I was actually making use of my 500GB SSD but it turns out I had over 250GB of restore points, not even counting the newest one. Probably three times as much in restore points as I had in actual live data on it.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Desuwa posted:

Windows is the only OS that bloats out of control. It's also the only OS that's really decent for gaming, and for that you're going to want a bigger SSD. I ran 120GB with no problems for years and now have 500GB but most of my games won't get enough benefit to bother with moving them.

To free up space clear out the old Windows stuff and then remove all but the newest system restore point. Windows loves to fill up your drives with useless restore points. I thought I was actually making use of my 500GB SSD but it turns out I had over 250GB of restore points, not even counting the newest one. Probably three times as much in restore points as I had in actual live data on it.

I'm no fan of system restore, and disable it at any given opportunity, but isn't retention of restore points capped at 6% of your maximum disk capacity by default?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Earl of Lavender posted:

I'm no fan of system restore, and disable it at any given opportunity, but isn't retention of restore points capped at 6% of your maximum disk capacity by default?

I have never heard that it defaults that low; I've most definitely not raised the limits for mine and it's sitting at 50%. I'll just turn that down now.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Desuwa posted:

I have never heard that it defaults that low; I've most definitely not raised the limits for mine and it's sitting at 50%. I'll just turn that down now.

Odd, I've never played with that setting and mine defaulted to 2%(4.8GB) on my 240GB SSD.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
So I think my SSD just bricked.

An mSATA Samsung PM851 512GB (840 EVO equivalent) I was just running some speed tests on. Win 8.1 BSOD and restarted only to find that the drive wasn't bootable and not even showing up in BIOS. I've ordered a cheap mSATA to regular SATA adapter to see if I can't recover some stuff but it doesn't look if the drive isn't even showing up in BIOS, right?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Seamonster posted:

So I think my SSD just bricked.

An mSATA Samsung PM851 512GB (840 EVO equivalent) I was just running some speed tests on. Win 8.1 BSOD and restarted only to find that the drive wasn't bootable and not even showing up in BIOS. I've ordered a cheap mSATA to regular SATA adapter to see if I can't recover some stuff but it doesn't look if the drive isn't even showing up in BIOS, right?

Definitely power off, pull the battery, hold power button for 10-20 secs. Power back up and see if it is detected. Worth a shot.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
No dice there. Thanks though.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Win10 is almost upon us and I'm doing an overhaul/consolidating hard drives. Should I keep the 1TB 840 Evo (sealed new in box/unused) or should I try to sell it and get an 850?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I would try to sell it just because of all the issues with the 840 evo and the fact that it's unopened

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
What's the difference between a Samsung 850 EVO and Samsung 850 Pro?

Also, is it better to get two 1TB 850's or just one 2TB 850?

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Whole bunch of small differences, but the main one is the Pro has MLC memory and the EVO is TLC. The Pro is much more durable.

Edit: Meh was mistaken about SLC on the Pro.

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 27, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Also, is it better to get two 1TB 850's or just one 2TB 850?
EVO is TLC, Pro is MLC, so you're looking at much higher write endurance. Generally not an issue in most cases unless you're buying them for a server farm.

Also, two 1TBs are cheaper than one 2TB right now, the only reason to get the latter is to get a sick drive upgrade for your laptop that only has one drive slot

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Skuto posted:

Whole bunch of small differences, but the main one is the Pro has MLC memory and the EVO is TLC. The Pro is much more durable.

Edit: Meh was mistaken about SLC on the Pro.

Keep in mind that they're both 32nm processes, unlike the 19nm processes of the 840s (the 850s fit in more data because 3D/V-NAND). At that size even TLC isn't a longevity concern for a home user.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is hibernation / standby a problem with SSDs due to less read/write cycles? I've heard of a miscommunication that shutting down an SSD for a day or so can kill it (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2925173/debunked-your-ssd-wont-lose-data-if-left-unplugged-after-all.html) but I've not heard of standby/hibernate causing issues.

This question started in the Win10 thread and I decided to move it here.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is hibernation / standby a problem with SSDs due to less read/write cycles? I've heard of a miscommunication that shutting down an SSD for a day or so can kill it (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2925173/debunked-your-ssd-wont-lose-data-if-left-unplugged-after-all.html) but I've not heard of standby/hibernate causing issues.

There are some concerns about leaving it for years without refreshing its cells, so I wouldn't throw it in a safety deposit box or attorney's vault as a long-term backup (and all a typical person's stuff that merits either can probably fit on a DVD), but overnight no not an issue. You pretty much have to keep the drive at sauna temperatures to cause it to decay that fast, and something else will fail first.

EDIT: OH, hybrid sleep stuff. Eh. Unless you're putting it to hibernation or hybrid sleep every fifteen minutes or something it isn't a big deal.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 27, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

ThermoPhysical posted:

If they are worried about how much data gets written to the drive via hibernation, still unlikely to cause a problem. For good drives anyways. It would take 20+ years of writing your 32gb of RAM every day to even start to think the drive might have problems due to data written. For the current crop of suggested drives, you are almost certainly going to throw it away because it's tiny before it dies due to how much data you write to it. Wearing out SSDs does not really apply anymore for modern SSDs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
1TB 850 Evos are on sale for 309 today through some retailer through eBay. The link is on Techbargains.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ThermoPhysical posted:

Unless you're running a very high write percentage database on your consumer SSD you are never ever going to have endurance issues.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BIG HEADLINE posted:

1TB 850 Evos are on sale for 309 today through some retailer through eBay. The link is on Techbargains.

"Some retailer" is Newegg I believe.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SourKraut posted:

"Some retailer" is Newegg I believe.

Yeah, it's Newegg, I just couldn't confirm it when I posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I need to clone my current SSD to a new one for when Windows 10 hits (since we don't know when Microsoft will provide the Win 10 ISOs). I'll have to hook up the second SSD internally as I don't have an external drive case to mount it into, so I'll just do it SATA to SATA.

Should I spin up a systemrescue thing or is there a Windows compatible software that does this well?

E: Well, looks like CloneZilla is the way to go.

Furism fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 28, 2015

• Locked thread