Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

e X posted:

Yeah, which is honestly why I don't understand why people still get angry. Everybody knows what Sandler does and how the resulting movies are. There was a snowball's change in hell that Pixels turned out even decent, yet people are throwing a hissy fit.

I totally agree that just not going to stupid movies will help end the cycle, and it always baffled me when I worked at a theater how many people went to total garbage films. Beverly Hills Chihuaha was the most popular film the weekend it came out, it's nuts.

That being said, I think maybe the difference with Pixels is that it's squandering what's otherwise a fantastic idea. Most Sandler films nowadays just have crap premises anyway, so people can't get that terribly mad that the film about him playing his own obnoxious twin sister was, in, fact, a hot mess, since no one thought it would be otherwise. But Pixels could've been a great movie, and it's a shame it got wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can someone explain why Bob's "really that good" series needs to have half to an hour long videos to explain "go see this film"?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can someone explain why Bob's "really that good" series needs to have half to an hour long videos to explain "go see this film"?

He's in love with the sound of his voice?

Miss Wallace posted:

I totally agree that just not going to stupid movies will help end the cycle, and it always baffled me when I worked at a theater how many people went to total garbage films. Beverly Hills Chihuaha was the most popular film the weekend it came out, it's nuts.

It's like when Bay puts out a new Transformers film. Reviewers came out of the woodwork to bash Transformers 4. At a point people have to understand they are part of the problem. Studios don't care if you liked a movie, they care if you bought a ticket.

Miss Wallace posted:

That being said, I think maybe the difference with Pixels is that it's squandering what's otherwise a fantastic idea. Most Sandler films nowadays just have crap premises anyway, so people can't get that terribly mad that the film about him playing his own obnoxious twin sister was, in, fact, a hot mess, since no one thought it would be otherwise. But Pixels could've been a great movie, and it's a shame it got wasted.

I can see that, but when you see Sandler's name attached, you have to know the quality attached.

PassTheRemote fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 23, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Adam Sandler's previous movie Blended bombed pretty badly, but I figure this one will make more money. It is funny to see those leaked Sony emails where even the studio execs know he's got a sweetheart deal that makes no sense.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
People are annoyed by Sandler because they tried to "ignore" him and he won't go away.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

PassTheRemote posted:

I can see that, but when you see Sandler's name attached, you have to know the quality attached.

Except Hotel Transylvania. Hotel Transylvania is still cool.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Jsor posted:

Except Hotel Transylvania. Hotel Transylvania is still cool.

I am talking about are his Happy Madison productions. I think Hotel Transylvania is by Sony. Also, Genndy Tartakovsky directed it, and he makes good things.

Sandler's Happy Madison pro0duction Company is the company of laziness, hack film making. I should have said "I saw Happy Madison attached, I knew the quality of the film then". My mistake.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

PassTheRemote posted:

I am talking about are his Happy Madison productions. I think Hotel Transylvania is by Sony. Also, Genndy Tartakovsky directed it, and he makes good things.

Sandler's Happy Madison pro0duction Company is the company of laziness, hack film making. I should have said "I saw Happy Madison attached, I knew the quality of the film then". My mistake.

Sandler does seem to fare better when he's not involved in the production beyond being an actor. Though considering his recent non-Happy Madison output, that seems to be damning with faint praise.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Just put up a new Breaking Spines, this time on "Hour of the Hunter" by J.A. Jance. It's a thriller set on a Tohono O’Odham reservation in 1975. That's good! The villain is an Evil Gay Transvestite. That's bad!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, Hotel Transylvania was actually pretty decent and a good kid's film.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Spark That Bled posted:

Sandler does seem to fare better when he's not involved in the production beyond being an actor.

I pretty much feel the same about Jack Black. Both actors are very charismatic and can be genuinely funny, but their own writing just is so low brow as to be insulting.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

e X posted:

Yeah, which is honestly why I don't understand why people still get angry. Everybody knows what Sandler does and how the resulting movies are. There was a snowball's change in hell that Pixels turned out even decent, yet people are throwing a hissy fit.

Seriously, the best thing you can possibly do is ignoring it, that is the only way this will ever end.

Moviebob seemed extra angry because of videogames nostalgia. I guess it's insulting from a different direction than the stereotypes of other Happy Madison movies.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

poparena posted:

Just put up a new Breaking Spines, this time on "Hour of the Hunter" by J.A. Jance. It's a thriller set on a Tohono O’Odham reservation in 1975. That's good! The villain is an Evil Gay Transvestite. That's bad!

Huh, sounds like an interesting novel, but...yeahh, outdated and sketchy depictions of queer people and women? Maybe not. Oh, is the evil killer character (whatever his name is, can't remember) supposed to be Native or is he white?
I read Julie of the Wolves (which was written in the 70s) and a few other books in that series when I was a kid, and I was fascinated by the discussions of yupik culture. But now that I know a little more, it would probably be better to read some books about indigenous cultures actually written by people from that culture. Granted, it sounds like Jean Craighead George did a lot of research, and I haven't come across anything by Native people criticising the series as being inaccurate, but even so. I also really enjoyed the Indian in the Cupboard books, but they've definitely been criticised as being extremely racially dodgy. Kind of a shame because the premise is really cool and the books are well-written.
There's an interesting This American Life episode where it talks about the Education of Little Tree and how it was written by a white supremacist - and whether or not the man's previous politics affected the value of the book. Sort of tangential to what you were talking about in this episode, but I thought it was an interesting consideration all the same.

I love that you've been criticised for being an "sjw" :P now that I've gotten myself a Youtube account, I think I can look forward to some of that!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Pixels is not obviously a Happy Madison movie, so maybe people are upset because they thought it might just be a movie he was acting in?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

DStecks posted:

Pixels is not obviously a Happy Madison movie, so maybe people are upset because they thought it might just be a movie he was acting in?

People are dumb, like how people though bay directed turtles when it was just his studio making it who made forgettable and bland remakes for years. movie bob is a fat gently caress jerking off on his Mario 3 cart. there that is his shity video review for a shity movie.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's a bad video game movie marring our unbroken run of really good videogame movies beforehand.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Fans posted:

It's a bad video game movie marring our unbroken run of really good videogame movies beforehand.

if we start and count at wreck it ralph and the only good video game movie then sorry the streak broke with need for speed staring Jessie from breaking bad as a action lead.

if we are talking "so good it bad" well we have a list.

EDIT: I don't care about how this movie is "killing games", adam sandler release a film a few years back where his character impregnated a teacher and he became rich for it. him staring in a film with a ripoff plot of a futurerama side story is not the good time to bust out he AVGN reviews.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 24, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fans posted:

at least the super mario bros. movie is a good time with a couple friends and alcohol

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cubey posted:

at least the super mario bros. movie is a good time with a couple friends and alcohol

The first Mortal Kombat is fun for similar reasons.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Mokinokaro posted:

The first Mortal Kombat is fun for similar reasons.

I throw in street fighter, just for the M. Bison and French guile.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

Huh, sounds like an interesting novel, but...yeahh, outdated and sketchy depictions of queer people and women? Maybe not. Oh, is the evil killer character (whatever his name is, can't remember) supposed to be Native or is he white?

The killer is white, a racist, a sexist, and a self-loathing homophobe. Pretty much everything about him is tied to his psychopathic nature, it's a pretty two-dimensional character that doesn't allow any wiggle room to go "He's evil AND he's gay." Rather, "he's evil, and being gay is a part of that."

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Infamous Sphere posted:

There's an interesting This American Life episode where it talks about the Education of Little Tree and how it was written by a white supremacist - and whether or not the man's previous politics affected the value of the book. Sort of tangential to what you were talking about in this episode, but I thought it was an interesting consideration all the same.

Having read both of his Outlaw Josey Wales books as a kid, I can assure you that the background as a white supremacist REALLY comes through in those. Not to mention all the other issues you would expect a guy like that to have. They really toned it down in the Eastwood movie.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Speaking of getting hosed over and video games: New Ross' Game Dungeon on Battleforge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmvcJuBOaQE

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes-- I feel exactly the same way. "Online only" and other "Go gently caress Yourself" games, hardware, services, anything. If this is the wave of the future, well, I have enough of a backlog of games to last me pretty much for the rest of my life. And they aren't going anywhere because the publisher went out of business or just went the "Go gently caress Yourself" route.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DStecks posted:

The real punchline to that movie is it's actually just based on some guy's short internet video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou8vRWTSsJo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cyron posted:

I throw in street fighter, just for the M. Bison and French guile.

I've said this a few times here and there, but Street Fighter is one of those films I can easily forgive for being bad simply because everyone involved looks like they're having a massive amount of fun with it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

nine-gear crow posted:

I've said this a few times here and there, but Street Fighter is one of those films I can easily forgive for being bad simply because everyone involved looks like they're having a massive amount of fun with it.

Already discussed to death but it was Raul Julia's last role and cheesy as it was at times he brought such an amazing charm and charisma to it. I honestly thing this is a genuinely fantastic line: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The real punchline to that movie is it's actually just based on some guy's short internet video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou8vRWTSsJo

Pixels was better when it was Doomsday Arcade on the Escapist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYW6SY6MIOw

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

stillvisions posted:

For an example of a good anti-Adam Sandler review, there's redlettermedia's review of Jack and Jill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXNsT7-Lwsk where they balance the name calling with a lot of cogent breaking down of what the real problems are here.

Yeah, just watch that really. That's more entertaining and informative than anything Moviebob will ever have to say about any Adam Sandler movie. Hell it's probably more entertaining than most of the things he's ever done.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tracula posted:

Already discussed to death but it was Raul Julia's last role and cheesy as it was at times he brought such an amazing charm and charisma to it. I honestly thing this is a genuinely fantastic line: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs

I love that line and I love the line they used in a "Chun-Li confronts Bison" scene in the cartoon: "Bison! You killed my --" "Yes, yes, I killed your father. What is it with you women, anyway? I killed my father too and you don't hear me whining about it!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, at what point is any and all forms of internet critic discussion going to be replaced by more easily profitable let's play streams? It seems like a natural progression for internet celebrities, and its around the time I start to lose interest in them. For example, I love gopher's modding tutorials and his retrospectives on bethesda modding, but his only updates for months have been endless let's plays.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So, at what point is any and all forms of internet critic discussion going to be replaced by more easily profitable let's play streams? It seems like a natural progression for internet celebrities, and its around the time I start to lose interest in them. For example, I love gopher's modding tutorials and his retrospectives on bethesda modding, but his only updates for months have been endless let's plays.

Not only are streams less work, but they’re also better at feeding the illusion of intimacy between the Internet celebrity and the audience, so I’d say everything will be streams in a few years or less.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I'm saving a bunch of my favorite videos from Blip. I'm going to have to re-arrange my hard drives' folders to fit them all. 50 GB of this lovely crap.

I always figured the good days would come to an end, but I never thought beyond that. And you can't even use a downloader on Screenwave player at all.

Testekill posted:

God drat the new Nostalgia Critic review was a slog. Osmos Jones is a flawed film (mostly because of the live action stuff and it's got some bad tonal shifts) but the heart of it is still a parody of buddy cop films. Plus the Inside Out skits were some of the worst that he's ever done.

I've never seen Osmosis Jones but I enjoyed every clip he showed. What a bullshit episode.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mokinokaro posted:

I pretty much feel the same about Jack Black. Both actors are very charismatic and can be genuinely funny, but their own writing just is so low brow as to be insulting.
I don't know I still enjoy Tenacious D and Bernie alone is miles better than anything Sandler has ever done. Jack Black at least tries is what I'm getting at while Sandler coasts on a lazy river of poo poo

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't know I still enjoy Tenacious D and Bernie alone is miles better than anything Sandler has ever done. Jack Black at least tries is what I'm getting at while Sandler coasts on a lazy river of poo poo

Bernie's a masterpiece and I like Jack Black in just about everything he's in. Sandler just sucks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I still get a laugh out of Happy Gilmore. The random outburst humor is actually built into the character and it disappears as the character goes through his arc. It also has jokes that are set up in advanced. You know, things that are absent from Sandler films these days.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

I still get a laugh out of Happy Gilmore. The random outburst humor is actually built into the character and it disappears as the character goes through his arc. It also has jokes that are set up in advanced. You know, things that are absent from Sandler films these days.

That's because it wasn't a Happy Madison film. Sandler's stuff went downhill fast once he established a company.

He can still produce decent stuff if he actually tried, I suspect. Grandma's Boy was pretty drat entertaining though even that is almost ten years old.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Beefstew posted:

Bernie's a masterpiece and I like Jack Black in just about everything he's in. Sandler just sucks.

Jack Black is in some dumb movies, but he himself is a likable screen presence, at least to me. I haven't seen Sandler be likable in years.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Ema Nymton posted:

And you can't even use a downloader on Screenwave player at all.

Yet.

I suggest Youtube MP3 Podcaster: http://www.glimmersoft.com/podcaster/ Which, despite its name, does more than YouTube, and MP3, and Podcasts. And one cool feature (that is probably by accident)-- you can watch the video as it's downloading. So if download time remaining < video length, open the file in explorer and watch away.

If Screenwave isn't supported, I'd totally throw the programmer a few bucks (after funding the video creator's Patreon, of course).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Jack Black is in some dumb movies, but he himself is a likable screen presence, at least to me. I haven't seen Sandler be likable in years.

I think the only movie I've seen where Jack Black plays a wholly unlikable character is King Kong, and that's because he's meant to be a wholly unlikable unrepentant asswipe by design. To the point where it's actually one of King Kong's numerous flaws because you simply should not cast a man with Jack Black's charisma and likeability as that kind of an unscrupulous shitheel character.

Hell, I'd argue Jack Black is probably at his most likable and human level when playing Po from Kung Fu Panda, ironically. So Jack Black can go and make all the lovely Guilliver's Travels and Shallow Hals he wants if he keeps being amazing in stuff like KFP, Drunk History, and Tenacious D because he is a legit cool dude.

Meanwhile, every character I've seen Adam Sandler play in a film since like at least The Longest Yard has been some kind of repellent, barely-contained misanthropic rear end in a top hat. Like, it almost makes me question why I like Happy Gilmore so much, seeing as how Happy is the prototypical Adam Sandler rear end in a top hat protagonist, but then I remember that Happy has likable qualities to balance out prickly misanthropic rage at the people around him; he's a down on his luck schlub with a lovely job who lives in a lovely apartment, he can't do the thing he loves to do any more (play hockey), so he sucks it up and applies himself to doing something he's also strangely good at but doesn't necessarily like, he does it for noble, selfless reasons, and ultimately wins because he applies the knowledge he gains to overcome the obstacles in is way... quite literally.

The weird part is, Sandler seems completely aware of all the criticisms leveled at him, his movies, and the characters he plays/writes, if his skit with Bob Barker on this year's Night of Too Many Stars is any indication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Not only that, Sandler tends to play a wildly successful guy either with a gorgeous wife and irritatingly percocious kids, or some guy who's a super sex machine swinging hip cat.

• Locked thread