Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

One of Elly's is stealth action where she stalks the MC and another is IdolMaster except with modeling. Kei's is a clone of Adventure Capitalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not saying I think the P2 cast should've gotten spin-offs instead, just that I always felt they were stronger. The spin-offs were a novel way to get more money out of people and tide them over until P5, but I think it's just made me harbor more resentment than I ever had for either the P3 or P4 cast because it's been like 7 years and they've kind of just been the same. Any new character is at least refreshing or interesting because they're different.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You probably did like them at first and your opinion changed over time

It seems like a lot of popular games go through this. Like at first you play the game and you're hyped because you liked it so much and talk it up to people, then after a while the glow fades and you realize that ok maybe I was being kind of hyperbolic before but it's still good, but then you see other people that just played it still talking the game up more than it maybe deserves, and that keeps happening over and over again for years until your enthusiasm has been replaced by frustration. Especially when other, better games are released and people still talk about whatever older game as still being the best even though it kind of isn't anymore.

idk I'm just guessing, it just seems that a lot of popular games start off with the loudest voices being glowingly positive and then over time it becomes almost unanimously negative

That might be the case. It still annoys me that even if waifu wars are ironic or not that they're about the same characters we've been seeing for 9 and 7 years with maybe 1 or 2 additions and it never feels like the conversation is about anything else.

projecthalaxy posted:

Junpei and Yukari are the best characters in my opinion, of any SMT game I've played, especially in P3P lady mode . This may have something to do with me playing hundreds of hours of FES when I myself was an emotionally stunted, depressed teen.

I wouldn't say of any, but they're definitely the best of P3. Junpei and Yukari at least have flaws they work out through the course of the game and have defense mechanisms to show they're rather broken people. It's especially different compared to like most of the rest of the cast who are all a lot less relatable as people or enjoyable as characters.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm happy that Catherine came out during this time though, because it's probably one of the best games Atlus made.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Yukari is just anime Amy Jo Johnson.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Beef Chief posted:

I'm happy that Catherine came out during this time though, because it's probably one of the best games Atlus made.

Oh yeah. Catherine is super good. I think I've said this multiple times but everybody go play Catherine. Play it again when you're done.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Junpei Hyde posted:

Oh yeah. Catherine is super good. I think I've said this multiple times but everybody go play Catherine. Play it again when you're done.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

MotU posted:

Where were you when Miku entered the Shadow World?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
your posts are getting really depressing, beef.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

the curse of animod

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My biggest hope for P5 is that whatever problem you deal with in your party member s.links are different from whatever happens in the main story so they don't end up as extremely flat and 2dimensional like the entire p4 cast. Even if most of the p3 cast was kind of balls at least they had arcs that happened in the actual game and weren't in a vacuum.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My biggest hope for P5 is that whatever problem you deal with in your party member s.links are different from whatever happens in the main story so they don't end up as extremely flat and 2dimensional like the entire p4 cast. Even if most of the p3 cast was kind of balls at least they had arcs that happened in the actual game and weren't in a vacuum.

What, don't you enjoy most of the party member s.links ending with 'I'm not going to change the status quo and I'm okay with that now!'?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inflammatory posted:

This thread is taking a toll on me. Fwiw, I'm playing Golden right now and trying to get the romance thing with Naoto where she says she wants be dyed in your colors because I am all for lovely script writing like that and want to hear the voic actress say it.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah. Alternatively don't have the party members be separate S links but have them get more stuff in the main plot to compensate.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Please make all Party Member S Links really mundane poo poo, like helping them learn how to drive, or train their dog, or helping them plan a cool party

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm all for that because the canonically best episode of Dragon Ball Z is the episode where Goku and Piccolo learn to drive.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

the curse of animod

This thread and the JoJo threads are my endless hell because I had the nerve to be a teenager at one point.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

MotU posted:

really mundane poo poo, like helping them learn how to drive,

This was the best episode of DBZ so yes.

E: :hf:, Policenaut.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Alternatively don't have S.Links period. That won't happen though.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Alternatively don't have S.Links period. That won't happen though.

No Dote Won't Float

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Beef Chief posted:

This thread is taking a toll on me. Fwiw, I'm playing Golden right now and trying to get the romance thing with Naoto where she says she wants be dyed in your colors because I am all for lovely script writing like that and want to hear the voic actress say it.

anything can seem bad if you treat it as a punishment

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
s links are a neat mechanic, they just need to be better-written.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Beef Chief posted:

This thread and the JoJo threads are my endless hell because I had the nerve to be a teenager at one point.

To be fair you are the one that made the new anime jojo thread. But yeah it's terribad.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Beef Chief posted:

I'm playing Golden right now and trying to get the romance thing with Naoto where she says she wants be dyed in your colors

:wtc:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

To be fair you are the one that made the new anime jojo thread. But yeah it's terribad.

Oh no, I never said it wasn't warranted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Chief posted:

You poor bastard. :smith:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dunno how I escaped the Vita thread though, I was pretty sure I was gonna be stuck there forever since I also thought the Vita is one of the most well made handhelds ever. Not to say it has games on it to justify that.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Vita thread rules but it's not as entertaining now that the SK stuff has been quarantined to its own thread.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Vita thread would be p. good if you could filter it so that you could only see Policenaut posts.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

You can do that with a single button! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3466426&userid=138650

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Persona characters:

Dweebs

Rad motherfuckers

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Everyone's just so happy that they get to gently caress poo poo up, it's the best.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

They got cool grins, cool costumes, and cool guns, whereas the Inaba crew look like they just forgot their science homework. Dweebs.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Persona 5 is gonna be a cool game.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Policenaut posted:

They got cool grins, cool costumes, and cool guns, whereas the Inaba crew look like they just forgot their science homework. Dweebs.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Policenaut posted:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah, the other crews look all surprised when they get an All-Out Attack but the P5 group looks like they're waiting for it

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

That poo poo is so fly

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It's awesome that Soejima's high contrast art is actually making it into the game for P5, because it's really his best style.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I'm really excited for Persona 5 and it promises to be really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Persona 5 will probably be good but people will have long since overhyped themselves into thinking it will be more than it is and so people will hate it when it comes out.