Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

JesustheDarkLord posted:

When does the league get set up this year? I need to start not learning about players.

I'll be setting it up late next week (first week in August, usually).

Gets us time to get set up, all the old players in who want to be, recruit flesh blood, and hold a draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'll play but I'm working full time now so I'm probably going to forget to set my roster more than once.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
UVA won't play at Boston College until 2024 giving them a healthy 14 years between trips there. VT won't play at Louisville until at least 2025(if that) which is crazy.

You can basically pay off a house in the time it takes to play a cross-divisional home/away in the ACC now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Crotch Bat posted:

UVA won't play at Boston College until 2024 giving them a healthy 14 years between trips there. VT won't play at Louisville until at least 2025(if that) which is crazy.

You can basically pay off a house in the time it takes to play a cross-divisional home/away in the ACC now.

Stuff like this is why I don't think that 16 team megaconferences really will be the long term solution for college athletics. 10-12 is much more manageable. 10 is perfect for round robin and playing everybody every year, and with 12 you still can play at least twice every four years and every player will play at least once in every stadium in the conference.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

Wtf

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Webbeh posted:

I'll be setting it up late next week (first week in August, usually).

Gets us time to get set up, all the old players in who want to be, recruit flesh blood, and hold a draft.

I'm in.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

I can't find it now (of course) but the initial article read like he was taking over for an incumbent.

I'm admittedly somewhat ignorant of LaTech football, so I don't know for sure.

He was at a Juco for two years and then at Iowa for two (one a redshirt), so last year would have been his last year of eligibility.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 23, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I know. Fourteen years to pay off a house?! Crotch "Rockefeller Vanderbilt Astor V" Bat over here.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Is there any college football player better at twitter than Cardale?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:vince:

Holy poo poo. Cardale owns.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pakled posted:

Is there any college football player better at twitter than Cardale?

I doubt it. Burn Ohio State to the ground but Cardale owns pretty hard.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My college roommates and I are seriously considering a trip to Lambeau when LSU-Wisconsin play next September even though the only ties we have to either team is #SEC

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

I doubt it. Burn Ohio State to the ground but Cardale owns pretty hard.

Agreed

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Anals of History posted:

That guy did at least apologize and own up to the fact that he got ruined before falling on his virtual sword and deleting his account.

I love when someone gets blasted like that and has to go back to their hole.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

GOACC

Really need a ninth game, or pods, or gently caress anything but this assinine 8 games with a permanent cross division rival bullshit.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Miami has 0 pre-season 1st team all-ACC picks.

Holy cow, Golden.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

GOACC

Really need a ninth game, or pods, or gently caress anything but this assinine 8 games with a permanent cross division rival bullshit.

What's the ACC's excuse, exactly? The SEC won't ditch that format because we need to protect all 80 of Alabama and Auburn's annual rivalry games.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Goddamn wrong thread

vyst fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 23, 2015

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

RumbleFish posted:

What's the ACC's excuse, exactly? The SEC won't ditch that format because we need to protect all 80 of Alabama and Auburn's annual rivalry games.

Everybody wants to play wake forest

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://theroommateswitch.wordpress.com/

All conferences should adopt this, because it is good and cool.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pakled posted:

round robin

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Every year put every team into a random number generator and fill out equal number of teams into random conferences. Winner of each new random team conference goes into playoffs. That way everyone can play everyone forever

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Raku posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RumbleFish posted:

After Alabama our biggest conference rival is Georgia; beyond that it's a matter of how old you are. I'm just old enough to remember Florida as an annual game before SEC expansion, and preserved for a few years after when each team had two permanent crossover games; fans older than me would consider Tennessee a real rivalry as well. The Florida games in '93 and '94 were huge to me as a kid, and '06 remains probably my favorite in-person game of all time. If you're younger than me, Florida doesn't mean that much to you and you'd probably call LSU our 3rd conference rival. Every SEC realignment plan that makes sense (aside from pods which would own but are probably forbidden by Leviticus or something) involves moving us to the East, but then you've got to figure out a way to preserve Bama-Tennessee too.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Raku posted:

Ehhhh

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

RumbleFish posted:

The SEC won't go to 9 games because then they'd have to ditch their late season cupcake/bye. Though they'd, the ACC, and the Big 10 would have to go to 10 conference games to get a home game in every stadium every four years (6 division games + 1 permanent rival every year, then play 3 of 6 cross division teams every year, alternating either every year or every other year). 10 conference games would be tough to sell, especially for teams with non-conference rivalry games.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 23, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Pakled posted:

Alternatively just expand the playoffs and give automatic bids to conference winners, freeing teams up to schedule actual good games instead of padding their schedules with FCS teams and avoiding teams in their own conference.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

JesustheDarkLord posted:

From the founding of the SEC until we went to divisions, Tennessee played Alabama, Kentucky, Vandy, and Ole Miss more than 50 times and Auburn more than 40. We played Georgia Tech 25 and Florida 18 and UGA 11. We played Duke 26 times.

Our historic rivalries are weird.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Allow two neutral site ooc games against power 5 teams, randomly selected at the beginning of the season. One in Week 0/1, one in week 6/7. Allow three ooc midmajor games, two at home and one away. Then do 9 conference games. More football would be fun.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Allow two neutral site ooc games against power 5 teams, randomly selected at the beginning of the season. One in Week 0/1, one in week 6/7. Allow three ooc midmajor games, two at home and one away. Then do 9 conference games. More football would be fun.

Two neutral site games a year would kind of suck for students and non rich fans.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also, 3 midmajor games sucks for people who like good football.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pakled posted:

This was posted a few pages ago and is a fantastic idea. Can be adopted to 16 teams fairly easily as well.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Pakled posted:

Also, 3 midmajor games sucks for people who like good football.

Do it like Alabama's schedule imo

1 big neutral site game
1 midmajor
1 fcs max

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Raku posted:

Do it like Alabama's schedule imo

1 big neutral site game
1 midmajor
1 fcs max

Alabama has been doing 1 P5, 2 mid majors, and 1 FCS for at least the past five years. 2015 and 2016 look the same.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/alabama-crimson-tide-auburn-tigers-missouri-nick-saban-gus-malzahn-pinkel-sec-excuses-072315

Death to the SEC, gently caress the SEC forever, etc etc.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Thoguh posted:

Alabama has been doing 1 P5, 2 mid majors, and 1 FCS for at least the past five years. 2015 and 2016 look the same.

sorry, I meant to say at least one midmajor (because ones that are brave enough/financially destitute enough to make a hard schedule deserve a shot at a playoff ranking)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Fox sports aka home of the Big 12, Pac 12, and Conference USA.

Cue sarcastic hand jerking motion

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
So what I'm understanding is that the SEC won't change because old Bama fans will cry when they don't get to play their "rivals" every year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lol at mizzou saying they have it hard

• Locked thread