Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

*shrug* If I want a healer follower I get a mod that makes one: Erandur Redone being my personal favorite. I've seen quite a few others out there. Ostensibly, my own overhaul of Heimskr in B-team is supposed to give him a similar healing spell but he seems to not want to cast it a lot. :sigh: As for helmet removal, that just strikes me as another active-script burden which isn't really essential; I use a cocktail of open-faced helmet and dragon masks mods instead.
I probably will switch just because I don't trust abandoned mods fully and the compatibility. Also the other side of the conditional spells coin is that a lot of my modding choices are based on making the game harder, and setting up several followers as healbots somewhat goes against that. I guess I could just not do that but, eh. (On the other, other hand, I might make the game so hard that I'll need all the help I can get...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Using armored circlets pretty much removes all need for helmets and their removal if you want to stare at their butt ugly faces -- or beautiful waifu faces depending on your mods I guess.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I was never really bothered by the dialog interface so a faster interface just doesn't matter to me. There's some quality of life features I'd really miss if I switched like conditional spells (making a follower capable of healing you when you're near death for example) and auto-helmet removal outside combat. Maybe they seem like minor things but they're more interesting features to me than a menu interface. But I also have a less that comprehensive understanding of what EFF if capable of, maybe there's something I missed and it can replicate these features.

Conditional spells was one of the reasons my EFF experiment didn't last long. AFT isn't currently being worked on that I know of, but that hasn't caused me a lot of problems. The only weird thing about AFT I run into is it really likes to be the last mod, and when it's not it doesn't always work.

The one thing I miss from EFF was telling followers to go gather ingredients, but it wasn't worth giving up conditional spells (the only healer I tried was Ceridwen, who annoyed me, and I prefer being able to set just a couple critical points for quick heals over having a dedicated healer anyway), what felt like better combat control, and "follower keeps distance". Pretty much everything is better when followers don't crowd so drat much.

Edit: yes, armored circlets also make everything better.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So Arissa is actually a pretty baller follower mod, are there any other followers with similar features?

I really like that I can tell her to screw off in town and she will automatically start following me when I leave, with one click. I also like the fact that she has her own horse and quickly gets on and off of it with you, without having to gently caress around in a bunch of horse mod menus.

For the record, I've tried Inigo and didn't really like him.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Yeah, generally trust LOOT - between that and merged patches and just getting to know your build through gameplay, over time you'll be able to suss out the ideal ordering of things.

Until you hit mysterious problems like my innkeepers missing their audio for when you rent a room, and just that line, across all innkeepers, or Uthgerd, and only Uthgerd, not giving you her brawl choice in dialogue. :iiam:

My current epic quest is to overcome my own :effort: and investigate why some innkeepers don't have the room rental dialog but do sell food and for others it's the opposite. The answer must lie somewhere across the mountain of mods that modify innkeeper dialog and others that add or modify the inns themselves.

Danaru posted:

This is a bit specific, but is there any mod that adds something like how Red Dead Redemption does bounties, where you can capture enemies and bring them in alive? I just want more options than get location - kill everyone - repeat.

Also since I'm starting a new mod list, are there any mods that add more properties like the Hearthstone ones? I love that feeling of building a place from the ground up.

I don't know about the recommendation for Immersive Bounty Hunting since it hasn't been updated in a bit and I don't think it was ever 100% to begin with. I also don't know about a "bring in alive" system, but with Follower Goes On A Trip you can turn bounties into races against your followers or other NPCs to see who can get there first (and then get back first, since apparently the first one to claim the kill gets the gold)

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I still maintain that between SPERG and Apocalypse Spells are enough in and of themselves. The problem of enemies being stupid damage sponges (especially in the 20s) is another problem entirely, though I think I solve that particular problem by using followers with EFF, and slowing down the leveling rate, so I actually have time to accumulate the resources I need to make and acquire top-tier equipment ere the 20s.

Forgotten Magic has a nice "spell level up" system. You start with a dozen or so basic spells you can buy and the more you use them, the more points you earn to unlock added abilities. I'm throwing ice spikes around and by now they also have a chance to freeze in place and they explode into shrapnel on impact. Actually they're a little OP against most bandits and barely scratch others so something must be a little off with my balance.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Are there any simple little "no you don't get to start with Heal and Flames spells" mods out there?

Just to generally start a new game with no known magic (other than racial abilities)?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

WarLocke posted:

Are there any simple little "no you don't get to start with Heal and Flames spells" mods out there?

Just to generally start a new game with no known magic (other than racial abilities)?

Skyrim Unbound lets you set yourself to spawn with no spells.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

YellerBill posted:

Skyrim Unbound lets you set yourself to spawn with no spells.

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

Argh, how do you people choose what texture mods to use? I've been concentrating on actual gameplay type stuff, that's easy, if it doesn't something you like use it, if not don't. But for purely texture stuff, there's 3 dozen options for everything... :suicide:

Also, is there some black magic involved in getting female faces to look better? Guys were easy, I threw in some Geonox faces and they look fine. Women, I've got Women of Skyrim textures, the normal maps for them, on the UNP body, but the faces are still hagravens... :stonk:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Having a lovely graphics card simplifies the texture dilemma :v: Even where I've replaced things I'm using that utility that compresses the hell out of all your textures so it all looks uniformly like garbage.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

WarLocke posted:

Argh, how do you people choose what texture mods to use? I've been concentrating on actual gameplay type stuff, that's easy, if it doesn't something you like use it, if not don't. But for purely texture stuff, there's 3 dozen options for everything... :suicide:

Also, is there some black magic involved in getting female faces to look better? Guys were easy, I threw in some Geonox faces and they look fine. Women, I've got Women of Skyrim textures, the normal maps for them, on the UNP body, but the faces are still hagravens... :stonk:

Not really, textures decisions suck. Most other mods you can get an idea of what you prefer fast, but with texture mods there are too many options.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to change the black levels for an ENB profile? I'm using Vividian, and while I love what it does in outdoor spaces with the higher saturation and vibrance, inside dungeons or caves everything is just too dark. Like I'm okay with it being relatively less lit, but in areas outside lightbulb radius it will be pitch black to the point you lose all sense of scale and room size, which doesn't happen in vanilla lighting. Basically, the vanilla ambient lighting doesn't get nearly as dark as the ENB does, and I don't know what to do to change that.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 22, 2015

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I'm having trouble running ASIS through Mod Organizer. Whenever I try to open the .bat file it just says "the system cannot find the path specified".

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Jabarto posted:

I'm having trouble running ASIS through Mod Organizer. Whenever I try to open the .bat file it just says "the system cannot find the path specified".

I think I had this a while ago and it was because it was looking for Java in the wrong place

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
ModOrganizer shows a bunch of "Unmanaged" mods, but despite it having a long step-by-step tutorial, it seems to have left out any explanations on how to make them into "Managed" mods. So... is there a way, or does Mod Organizer ONLY work if you download and install all mods through it?

:sigh: I guess it was too much to hope for to be able to just resume my 2.5 year old save with the old un-updated mods. It wasn't actually very far along, true, but it would have been nice. At this rate, I think it may be best to wait for a sale, get the Legendary Edition, then delete all the local files and re-download the whole thing, to start out fresh with mod versions that are newer and expansion-compatible.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 22, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I think I had this a while ago and it was because it was looking for Java in the wrong place

yeah if you update Java you have to go update the executable shortcut, and it was remarkably resistant to making that easy (turns out there's a button which looks like it should save that doesn't and another button which DOES save the changed path)

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

ModOrganizer shows a bunch of "Unmanaged" mods, but despite it having a long step-by-step tutorial, it seems to have left out any explanations on how to make them into "Managed" mods. So... is there a way, or does Mod Organizer ONLY work if you download and install all mods through it?

Anything that's directly in your Skyrim folder is unmanaged by MO. If I'm reading this right and you're trying to layer MO (in 2015) on top of an install from 2013, that will work in the sense that you can launch Skyrim and play with those mods but you won't get to take advantage of anything MO offers (multiple load orders, conflict resolution, etc etc) until you wipe clean and install all your mods through MO.

The reason for that is MO doesn't know which file in your skyrim data directory goes with which mod, or whether two mods have overwritten the same file, or anything like that - so it can't untangle that mess into "managed" automatically. If you install all your future mods through MO it does know and can handle overrides/conflicts and all that.

Note that some mods are always going to be unmanaged and that's fine - official DLC for example. Anything you are guaranteed to always, always want in every single load order you create is fine if it's "unmanaged."

You can rebuild your existing mod list in MO by wiping clean and reinstalling all your existing mods, and that will sometimes work to launch an old save game, but I was in your position a while ago and I just gave up on my 2013 character and rolled a new one. It was a better choice.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 22, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Psion posted:

Anything that's directly in your Skyrim folder is unmanaged by MO. If I'm reading this right and you're trying to layer MO (in 2015) on top of an install from 2013, that will work in the sense that you can launch Skyrim and play with those mods but you won't get to take advantage of anything MO offers (multiple load orders, conflict resolution, etc etc) until you wipe clean and install all your mods through MO.

The reason for that is MO doesn't know which file in your skyrim data directory goes with which mod, or whether two mods have overwritten the same file, or anything like that - so it can't untangle that mess into "managed" automatically. If you install all your future mods through MO it does know and can handle overrides/conflicts and all that.

Note that some mods are always going to be unmanaged and that's fine - official DLC for example. Anything you are guaranteed to always, always want in every single load order you create is fine if it's "unmanaged."

You can rebuild your existing mod list in MO by wiping clean and reinstalling all your existing mods, and that will sometimes work to launch an old save game, but I was in your position a while ago and I just gave up on my 2013 character and rolled a new one. It was a better choice.

Thanks for the information. Yes, I'm using the 2015 Mod Organizer on an 2012 install. That also explains why some of the mods listed in ModsCharacterXIsUsing.doc don't show up in the Skyrim\Data directory - I must have installed those via the circa 2012 Mod Organizer. (No, that's not what the file is really called.)

Wiping and restarting sounds like the best bet then. Thankfully, the character I had in progress was barely started, so it's no real loss.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I tried pointing MO to the ASIS.jar file instead of ASIS.bat. Now it will load and work right up until I build the patch, in which case it tells me that the unofficial Dawnguard patch won't work without the unofficial Skyrim patch, which is already active.

Why does running ASIS through MO have to be so damned finicky?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Jabarto posted:

I tried pointing MO to the ASIS.jar file instead of ASIS.bat. Now it will load and work right up until I build the patch, in which case it tells me that the unofficial Dawnguard patch won't work without the unofficial Skyrim patch, which is already active.

Holy poo poo I was having this same exact problem recently on one of my alt builds. Unfortunately my solution was to just not include the Unofficial patches and hope my Merged patch sorted everything out :shepicide:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
There was some problem with the latest version of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch and SkyProc patchers, maybe that's it? There was a workaround last I checked the USKP page.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Holy poo poo I was having this same exact problem recently on one of my alt builds. Unfortunately my solution was to just not include the Unofficial patches and hope my Merged patch sorted everything out :shepicide:

So I found this post that explains it - https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/3dggvo/unofficial_skyrim_patch_and_moskyproc_solution/

Only I'm using MO 1.3.8 and it still doesn't work. :( I guess I'll try the TESEdit approach.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Jabarto posted:

So I found this post that explains it - https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/3dggvo/unofficial_skyrim_patch_and_moskyproc_solution/

Only I'm using MO 1.3.8 and it still doesn't work. :( I guess I'll try the TESEdit approach.

It makes me wonder if he did that on purpose just to gently caress with MO users

EDIT: On reading maybe not but his bizarre public animosity to MO still doesn't reflect well

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

There was some problem with the latest version of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch and SkyProc patchers, maybe that's it? There was a workaround last I checked the USKP page.
The USKP's plugin has become too big for SkyProc to handle. The SkyProc dude has released a fix, but probably not all modders will have updated their patches.
A workaround solution is to make a back up of USKP's plugin, load it up in TES5Edit and delete all Cell entries. That should reduce the plugin in size enough for the non-updated patches to work. After using the patcher, be sure to restore the backup.

Edit: Oh, nevermind.

In other unofficial patch news: After the next release, they're going to merge the individual unofficial patches into a single package (which will naturally require all DLC).
I doubt it will cause any real problems since people still playing game are pretty likely to own DLC by now.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 23, 2015

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Jabarto posted:

Run loot and check again. This can happen if your load order is wrong.

Also... You can edit the asis bat to reflect your java path and/or version.

Mr.Grit fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 23, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sometimes LOOT needs to be run twice in a row to really sort poo poo out, I've never been able to figure out why

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So I've been really lazy about updating my Rayek's End 2.0 thing, but I got around to a bit of it today.

I've figured out the autosort system I'm going to use, and it's this one. Not quite detailed as Leaf Rest, but I can probably fix that with some form lists and a bit of script work, at least for the areas that I want to sort more thoroughly.

What I really like about it is that you can link crafting stations in such a way the items populate the crafting lists without ever leaving the chest (as far as you know). So you can craft based off items in your chests without ever having to actually touch the chests before or after. I can also set a button/lever to collect all items back to a set chest, so you can pull everything out as fast as you sorted it in. Also, all the chests are linked so that you can dump anything in any chest and it'll sort to the correct one so long as it meets one of the sorting criteria. It's kind of insane how clean it is too.

Well, the above, and it's already presented in a way that makes it easy to work with, unlike Leaf Rest's.

I should have something done in the next 2-3 days. Mannequin room is gonna be put on hold till I get this done, mostly because I'm still not sure what I want to do.

If you guys have any feedback on the existing parts, please let me know.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 23, 2015

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
First time trying to get Project ENB going on my Skyrim install. I'm getting the old crash to desktop before the Bethesda logo but have no idea what I am doing wrong. I have a bunch of mods installed but they're mostly just the recommended ones here. No extra lighting / terrain enhancement or anything. As far as I know I've done everything this thread and the Nexus page for Project ENB says to do in the .ini files.

If I turn all my mods off and only keep the ENB stuff, it still crashes to desktop. If I remove the ENB stuff, including the .dll itself, it works fine.

If I include just the d3d9.dll, it crashes after the Bethesda logo but not before showing the "ENB ver. ____" tag in the top left.

Ironically, if I keep all of the Project ENB stuff but remove the d3d9.dll, the game boots and runs fine without any of that ENB stuff going on.

Computers are weird and I can play without ENB but I just built a nice desktop and would like to see how far I can push it. Honestly have no idea what is going wrong.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 23, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

WarLocke posted:

For weapons and armor, I always go with aMidianBorn. Sure it hasn't been updated in a while (dude still needs to finish out all the styles), but I can guarantee you that is the best drat armor/weapon/artifact retexture mod on the Nexus.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Raygereio posted:

The USKP's plugin has become too big for SkyProc to handle. The SkyProc dude has released a fix, ...
If I understand it correctly, SkyProc is part of ASIS, DSR, etc. because it's the underlying platform. Is there any way I can update my SkyProc patchers on my own to use the latest SkyProc to avoid the workaround of hacking the USKP?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

if anyone is still missing som DLC, there's a Steam sale on Skyrim legendary edition at 50% right now.

also Morrowind and Oblivion for the prize of a sandwich and chips.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

if anyone is still missing som DLC, there's a Steam sale on Skyrim legendary edition at 50% right now.

And I spent $20 on Dragonborn last week.

I guess it's the same thing, I just don't have a pretty 'Legendary' game entry. Welp.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

axolotl farmer posted:

also Morrowind and Oblivion for the prize of a sandwich and chips.

I just bought Legendary yesterday for full price.

I wonder if I can refund it and re-buy it without losing my local data. That would be convenient.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

less than two hours played is a no questions refund on Steam now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

WarLocke posted:

And I spent $20 on Dragonborn last week.

I guess it's the same thing, I just don't have a pretty 'Legendary' game entry. Welp.

Pretty sure nobody does, I have Legendary and it just says The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

axolotl farmer posted:

and "it's cheaper" is one of the example reasons they give as an a-ok reason to ask

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

axolotl farmer posted:

I'm well aware, I was more asking if I could keep my local content when I refunded it, but the deed is done.

I've been loving the new refund system.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Man, gently caress trying to find UNP-based armor replacers that 1) aren't skimpy as hell or leave everything hanging out and 2) aren't a patchwork of a hundred files you need to arrange yourself, then hope nothing's hosed and everything works.

I'm just gonna install amidianborn textures on vanilla armor :smithicide:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

WarLocke posted:

Man, gently caress trying to find UNP-based armor replacers that 1) aren't skimpy as hell or leave everything hanging out and 2) aren't a patchwork of a hundred files you need to arrange yourself, then hope nothing's hosed and everything works.

Wait why are you using the big titty body in the first place if you don't expect this to be the case?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

WarLocke posted:

anything really good is going to be universal

ironically dragonporn is probably your best bet for finding anything specific since they catalog everything but don't expect anything good

http://dragonporn.ldblog.jp/tag/UNP

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: Yeah I came across that site but I just want something that takes the armor already in the game and makes it look better, not a bunch of one-off sets or half-naked wizard robes and junk.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Wait why are you using the big titty body in the first place if you don't expect this to be the case?

I'm not? UNP is the non-porn body and I'm using it because the vanilla body is pretty fugly. :gay:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's genuinely difficult finding any body/face mods that aren't skeevy. I just want my characters to not look like a bruised potato

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Danaru posted:

It's genuinely difficult finding any body/face mods that aren't skeevy. I just want my characters to not look like a bruised potato

Well, it looks like aMidianBorn has retextured almost everything but daedric and dragon armors? And his stuff looks great.

As for as actual body/face stuff goes, I've been trying out Women of Skyrim (and matching normal maps) with Superior Lore-Friendly Hair. Faces are still pretty dire though, I need to figure out what I'm missing to fix that.

Probably going to give Fitness Body normal maps a try eventually, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Knothead
Mar 28, 2012

Mazz posted:

If you guys have any feedback on the existing parts, please let me know.

I made a new character and have been trying out the home. So far, it looks and feels really good. I love what you've done with the space, making it feel both compact and complete. The only things I've been missing are mod related--that it can't be flagged as a home (via Hearthfire Multiple Adoptions... is there a better mod for this?) and that it lacks a disenchanting fountain (which a couple of Elianora's homes, such as Mielikki, have). These quibbles aside, the house is super awesome. Seriously, thanks for all the work you're putting in on this.

• Locked thread