Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm surprised that no one repatched the party lines for DQ4 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm surprised that no one repatched the party lines for DQ4 yet.

It's repatched in the IOS/android version apparently.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well, that's DQ5 wrapped up. Really enjoyed it but I felt the difficulty just shot up a ridiculous amount after the dragon eyes part. I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong (I never went out of my way to grind before that point but I never ran from monsters) but after that point everything kicked my rear end terribly until I sat and watched a movie while mindlessly grinding. It kind of hampered my enjoyment of the final stretch but I still overall thought it was a good and fun game. Dunno which of the numbered games to play next but I'm probably going to take a break and try out DQM2 when it arrives next week though.

I had to grind on the last continent to beat the final boss, but not for too long. Grinding is also ridiculously easy in those games because you can set Tactics to Preserve MP, set battle speed to max and just watch a movie while tapping A to get mondo levels in like 25 minutes.

Edit: wait I was thinking of VI. I didn't grind in V, I died once in the final boss and went back to catch a King Cureslime and then didn't have any problem once I had someone wth omniheal in my party.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I probably could have saved myself some headache if I had a better healer in my party.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

is the DS DQM game worth finding a copy of? I'm taking a break from DQV cuz I got mad but I still want something fun to play on the go.

I have a copy of the first game that you can simply have. I hated it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The final boss in DQ V can be done without Omniheal. Dad, Son, Golem, and Slime Knight is an easy party to assemble for it and pretty easy to equip since the two humans get stuff from quest loot.

One tip that applies to most DQ games is to prioritize armor that gives elemental/magic resists/evasion over raw defense, because the damage formula quarters your defense value. Gearing up this way can make most bosses with their party-wide attacks a bit easier and usually means that Multiheal, Fullheal, and the Sage's Stone are more than enough healing.

Few helmets have good secondary defenses, so you can usually skip buying them and just relying on loot until the endgame.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

JustJeff88 posted:

Yesterday I would have sworn otherwise, but now that I think about it I believe that you are right. Last time I played through DWIII on the NES, which was last summer, I recall giving the Heal Shield to my wizard even though he could not equip it. Naturally, one would assume that any use-from-inventory item would be fair game regardless of whether or not it was or could be equipped. After all, the Sage's Stone (free group heal) can't be equipped at all... I feel really silly now. I'll keep that in mind the next time I play. I still have never finished DQIV for the NES.

While I prefer Fighters to Warriors, I think it ultimately doesn't matter much until the Divinegon. At that point I think you really, really want the critical hit to proc so as to help cut down on turns anyway, though. By that point your min/maxed party is probably running nothing but Thieves and Fighters anyhow, though. :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think the "hardest" end boss in the series was 6. Stupid hands reviving each other and the main body :argh:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shugojin posted:

I think the "hardest" end boss in the series was 6. Stupid hands reviving each other and the main body :argh:

He was a real fucker for sure.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dubious posted:

I have a copy of the first game that you can simply have. I hated it.

DQM Joker wasn't that bad to play through. It's just got the same issue as every other DQM game in that if you want to get a team of top notch monsters you're going to be doing some Korean MMO-grade tedious bullshit grinding.

And if you play online you run in to lots of teams that are hacked as gently caress which made me just play it all single player.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
dragon quest monster games are grindy as gently caress. A bit too much for me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Would it be better to play 8 or 9 after I'm done with Joker 2.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
New trailer!

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/07/20/dragon-quest-viii-3ds-second-trailer-region-locking-trailers-is-the-new-hottness/

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Would it be better to play 8 or 9 after I'm done with Joker 2.

8 is a much more modern game with characters. 9 is much more like 3 in that you create your party out of nowhere. Also it's basically your dad telling you puns. All the time. Nonstop.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

VIII is insanely charming as well.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I decided to go with 8 for my next choice while playing DQM2 on the road. Only in the first dungeon but I really like it so far, didn't know about the specialization system or anything so that's cool since apparently most choices are viable from what I've skimmed.

How long does it take for fisticuffs to start doing respectable damage? This copper sword I found in the cave is still leagues better than my fists with the first attack power boost.

The first boss also kicked my rear end since I didn't go back to town and buy better equipment, game feels more punishing out the gate than V since even normal monsters like the dudes in the shoe were doing 6-7 damage a hit.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I decided to go with 8 for my next choice while playing DQM2 on the road. Only in the first dungeon but I really like it so far, didn't know about the specialization system or anything so that's cool since apparently most choices are viable from what I've skimmed.

How long does it take for fisticuffs to start doing respectable damage? This copper sword I found in the cave is still leagues better than my fists with the first attack power boost.

The first boss also kicked my rear end since I didn't go back to town and buy better equipment, game feels more punishing out the gate than V since even normal monsters like the dudes in the shoe were doing 6-7 damage a hit.

I beat him without really buying anything, but I did die on my first attempt. I came back with a bunch of healing herbs on Yangus and just did a lot of tension raising with the hero until he died. What's your loadout? I'm planning on Sword/Bravery on Hero and Maces/Companionship on Yangus. All I've done is beat that first boss. The style is incredibly good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I actually thought the fight was an auto lose since the first round of combat he cursed both my guys and then did 23 damage in one hit to the mc, killing him instantly since he wasn't topped off. RIP. Def will try that strat though.
I was planning on going fisticuffs/courage on the MC, maybe branching out to swords for post game sicne apparently most of the post game stuff is dragons which get decimated by the sword moves, and then humanity/axes or scythes for Yangus.

I put my points in humanity first for him since you can get heal pretty early, and like 5 points gives you a free random encounter button which will make any sort of grinding way less tedious.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't look up any skill strats, I should at some point. But for some reason when I fought the waterfall guy Hero was immune to the curse, which is why I depended on him to use tension and used Yangus as a healer. Maybe it was something I got from Courage? Idk.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also def wanna branch out to scythes. Description says its for those who like items...hell I love items.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Hero is immune to curse, innately.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

New smartphone freemium Dragon Quest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Freemium is literally the worst thing to happen to RPGs. :smith:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Well at least there's one new Dragon Quest game that will be coming west. :smithicide:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Fists never stop sucking in DQ8. Put everything in to Swords on the main character.

TurnipFritter posted:

New smartphone freemium Dragon Quest.

If this has DQ9-style multiplayer it will... well it doesn't matter because unless DQMSL makes a killing if/when it comes out (supposedly by the end of this month) we'll never see that game here.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Levantine posted:

Hero is immune to curse, innately.

Hrm, maybe I misread the status since I thought he got hit too, he died on the next round though so I might have gotten confused.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Fists never stop sucking in DQ8. Put everything in to Swords on the main character.

Well I already put 4 points into it, is it worth getting that skill that lets you take 90% reduced damage or whatever before going all in on swords?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Hrm, maybe I misread the status since I thought he got hit too, he died on the next round though so I might have gotten confused.

If I remember correctly, he can take damage from attacks that have a curse component, but he can't ever receive the Curse status.

First boss is a total level/gear check. There are a few bosses in the game that really require you to have your poo poo together but they aren't as bad because you have more options. At level ~5 you don't really have any options so it's a brute force battle.

EDIT: For hero i like to go swords/courage with some spears for the Lighting Thrust skill for metal hunting. Yangus usually gets Axes for his metal hunting skill (executioner?).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I was following the guide on gamefaqs since I always get afraid that I'll gently caress up my build in games like this and then make the game a miserable experience or whatever. I've played far too many dungeon crawlers with trap builds/skills.

Hero

42 fisticuffs > 52 swords > 90 courage

This build provides thin air for attacking all enemies, falcon slash for single targets, defending champion for defense, and courage will boost healing with Omniheal and ½ mp cost. Metal slash is in there if you need to level. This build packages in pretty much everything except a critical hit move. In the early game use boomerangs even as you put points in fisticuffs; you can always unequip the boomerang when you need to use an ability.

Was their logic behind fisticuffs, but maybe they're an idiot full of poo poo idk.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I mean, you can beat the game with that, it's not going to cripple you. One issue, though, is that Metal Slash is actually pretty bad for leveling. Later Metal enemies have way too many HP to use anything but the guaranteed crit attacks. That build is viable, sure, but is kind of a gimmick build. Each character sort of has an intended archetype (hero = swords, Yangus = axe, etc) and a lot of their best stuff is based around that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well hopefully the 4 points I put in fisticuffs won't slow me down too much then.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well hopefully the 4 points I put in fisticuffs won't slow me down too much then.

You'll get lots of points as you go. Plus, there are Skill Seeds that provide more. I think you can max out something like 2 skills by endgame levels, maybe more. I feel like I had 100courage/100swords by the final boss plus the spear skills.

EDIT: you do probably want the 11 fisticuffs for Defending Champion for the postgame if you decide to do it, but you can make that decision as you go.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 23, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

There's a Dragon Quest livestream scheduled for July 28th. Could mention Dragon Quest XI.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Don't worry about it. Keep investing till 11 and get Defending Champ. Being able to practically nullify damage when you need a heal can go a long way to winning some encounters.

People are giving Fisticuffs a bad rap. It is legitimately a good skill set, especially on Yangus. At worst, it is one of the best supplementary skills for most characters. Investing a dozen points or so can usually get you a really great, if situational skill with most characters. Only one I probably would insist not to bother with is Jessica, because the best she gets for utility is Evasion Up, and that is only without weapons, meaning only useful situationally when she is using items or something, and even that is 52 points deep. Everyone else has something worthwhile within the first 20ish points.

Seriously, you should consider making it your primary skillset for Yangus. Just invest some points into Axes for Helm Splitter, and keep an axe in his inventory. What axe is irrelevant. He gets great mileage out of Fisticuffs. Just ignore the attack power stat. Knuckle Sandwich is a 1.5x multiplier, making it great damage when you can't practically use Tension. Later, Yangus is missing any good damage multipliers, like Hero/Angelo with Falcon Slash, or Multi-thrust/shot, while Jessica has the silly 3x single target damage Twin Dragon Lash. So instead of using Multi-combo in later fights where tension is feasible, I will have Yangus haul around the Timbrel of Tension to get everyone else psyched up. Earlier in the game, Knuckle Sandwich will keep Yangus' damage competitive enough for saving on equipment costs.

The rule is, skills are better than stats, and Fistcuffs has some of the better skills for Yangus. I have done some fistcuffs 'only' (primary) playthroughs, and it's just fine. It's just that most characters actually have really good skills outside of Fisticuffs AND they benefit from optionally upgrading gear.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Skeezy posted:

There's a Dragon Quest livestream scheduled for July 28th. Could mention Dragon Quest XI.

In english or Japanese?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Deki posted:

In english or Japanese?

Take a wild guess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was planning on playing SFV all weekend, but since the beta has completely fallen apart looks like it's gonna be a ton of DQVIII instead. Looking forward to returning the crystal ball and finding out what happens next.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

In Training posted:

I was planning on playing SFV all weekend, but since the beta has completely fallen apart looks like it's gonna be a ton of DQVIII instead. Looking forward to returning the crystal ball and finding out what happens next.

VIII is just so much fun for me. It's on-rails as hell, though that's kind of par for the course in DQ, but it's got a real sense of adventure about it. It actually does feel like you're on a long journey where you meander and stop to see the sights here and there.

It's probably my favorite DQ, and I know that isn't common.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ComposerGuy posted:

VIII is just so much fun for me. It's on-rails as hell, though that's kind of par for the course in DQ, but it's got a real sense of adventure about it. It actually does feel like you're on a long journey where you meander and stop to see the sights here and there.

It's probably my favorite DQ, and I know that isn't common.

VIII has some amazing atmosphere in general. They nailed the feel of the old 2d world maps in 3d. I don't think I agree with it being any more on-rails than other entries (it's easy to get off track quickly as you progress through the game), but I do agree with you, it's easily my favorite as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

VI was the most free of the DQ's I've played and I prefer the more linear gameplay. Wandering around a map can be fun for a bit but with VI every time I got a new mode of transportation I just spent most of my time doubling back to old areas just to see if I'd missed anything. Once you got to a town or castle with their own little stories they were cool but the pacing suffered from the long stretches in between f relatively nothing happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Deki posted:

In english or Japanese?

This is cute.