Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's bad to obscure your already unrealistically limited fov for some kind of false verisimilitude imo.
You do know you can disable the overlays - like all of PN's features - in PN's MCM right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Raygereio posted:

You do know you can disable the overlays - like all of PN's features - in PN's MCM right?

Of course. I wouldn't use the mod if it was a forced option.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The overlays would be fine if they were all consistent with what the helmet actually looked like and didn't turn on for wearing glasses and visorless helmets.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I haven't found anything like this searching the Nexus, but is there any mod that redoes the first person weapon animations?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's bad to obscure your already unrealistically limited fov for some kind of false verisimilitude imo.

Isn't any verisimilitude in these games by definition false? You make a pretty bad point unless you're arguing against any form of immersion in-game which are a handicap on your character. Also you can increase your fov in game and in-helmet via mods, but don't let me stop you arguing against how people enjoy different forms of immersion in their game.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

maev posted:

Isn't any verisimilitude in these games by definition false? You make a pretty bad point unless you're arguing against any form of immersion in-game which are a handicap on your character. Also you can increase your fov in game and in-helmet via mods, but don't let me stop you arguing against how people enjoy different forms of immersion in their game.

It's false because eyes don't even work in the way the visors depict...when I wear a mask or a helmet in the real world I don't "see" the edges of the helmet because I can focus on things in the background. You can;t do that on a computer screen so all it is put an ugly thing on the screen that makes it difficult to see things that matter.

And no one's arguing that anyone do anything. This is a conversation about our preferences in a videogame. If you don't give a poo poo what I think, don't say anything back to me and carry on with your suboptimal life.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's false because eyes don't even work in the way the visors depict...when I wear a mask or a helmet in the real world I don't "see" the edges of the helmet because I can focus on things in the background. You can;t do that on a computer screen so all it is put an ugly thing on the screen that makes it difficult to see things that matter.

And no one's arguing that anyone do anything. This is a conversation about our preferences in a videogame. If you don't give a poo poo what I think, don't say anything back to me and carry on with your suboptimal life.

Do you want to argue about the distinct ways in which New Vegas implements its hunger system, and how that doesn't work the precise way it does in real life too?
Sure you can focus on the background, but it is limited by a big-rear end helmet and displaying that in some form with the visor works well enough. If I'm wearing glasses, they clearly obfuscate parts of my vision with the rim, and wearing a T-54d helmet certainly would do the same. You don't like it? Fine, but don't tryhard about how its just objectively wrong.

Also lol at your last comment, try to restrain your C grade goonery.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I haven't found anything like this searching the Nexus, but is there any mod that redoes the first person weapon animations?

Hitman47, on gunetwork.org has an animation pack:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zznslqjy3bvva8b/Hitman%27s+1st+Person+Weapon+Animations+V6.1.7z#39;s_1st_Person_Weapon_Animations_V6.1.7z

I think this will eventually make it to the :nexus:.

Keep in mind the ESP is mandatory. I don't use it myself because it isn't compatible with Enhanced Camera, which is essential for me now (both for FOV and because its rad as hell.)

He also made this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vve1uZA6Qks

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5e5y3gifb2oc2ym/Flip+The+Bird!+V1.7z

Again, not compatible with Enhanced Camera.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

speaking of caravan, gently caress Johnson Nash, dude is a loving shark

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Before I go nuts and post my whole mod list, what is the most likely cause for misaligned aiming in first person? Currently it only affects (as far as I know) the laser rifle, which sits at the bottom left of the screen if I aim.

edit: ok googling hasn't helped so far so gently caress it, here's my list http://pastebin.com/AUtqi7h7

edit2: may as well throw it all in the pile. other minor problems i've had: black bars on male bodies (chest and shins) with weird textures on the back. archive invalidation hasn't helped, installing new vegas redesigned 3 has but it still pops up from time to time. also, i occasionally get that weird thing where stuff stretches towards some point in the map. happened to the dead nightkin in the repconn test site, their faces popped about 6 feet out of their heads. neither of these stop me playing the game but still, any advisement would be appreceated

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 23, 2015

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

maev posted:

If I'm wearing glasses, they clearly obfuscate parts of my vision with the rim, and wearing a T-54d helmet certainly would do the same.

Not the way the game does it, where it assumes you have a massive camera lens in the middle of your face instead of two eyes. Glasses and helmets don't work like that.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know why I'm having such a hard loving time "discovering" locations? I've been wandering around Camp Forlorn Hope for 10 minutes trying to get it discovered and I can't make it happen. Same with Boulder City. I'm running Fear and Loathing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Alouicious posted:

speaking of caravan, gently caress Johnson Nash, dude is a loving shark

Oh poo poo, that's who I was thinking of who plays all of those goddamned Jacks, not Briscoe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AtillatheBum posted:

I like it, turns out that its really hard to fight from the inside of an enclosed metal suit, and it gives power armor and full-helmet armors a neat drawback. I totally get that some people wouldn't like basically having their fov reduced though.

It's not about how hard it is to fight in a metal suit, it's how you implement the HUD overlay well. Republic Commando does the whole enclosed helmet thing way better than Project Nevada's overlays.

EDIT. In somewhat nicer news, I was digging around the Nexus, and I came across a mod that fixes the texture fuckups if you try to use an armor or outfit that requires a different body model than the one you have. I love the outfits that come in the Spice of Life mod, but I hate how the Type 3 body replacer gives people noodle arms. Using the Universal UV Map mod lets me use the normal body with the outfits, which is nice.
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/57621/

It is marked adult, not for the mod itself, but for other mod outfits that it fixes up.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 23, 2015

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You guys also forget that vision is adaptive. Also the eyes do not take up our entire face like with some of the visor designs I've seen.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh poo poo, that's who I was thinking of who plays all of those goddamned Jacks, not Briscoe.

It's actually No-Bark just got done playing a few games against him half of which I lost because that dude just loves using Jacks and sometimes Kings. gently caress Kings.

Also Cliff doesn't want to play Caravan with me anymore :(

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

maev posted:

Do you want to argue about the distinct ways in which New Vegas implements its hunger system, and how that doesn't work the precise way it does in real life too?
Sure you can focus on the background, but it is limited by a big-rear end helmet and displaying that in some form with the visor works well enough. If I'm wearing glasses, they clearly obfuscate parts of my vision with the rim, and wearing a T-54d helmet certainly would do the same. You don't like it? Fine, but don't tryhard about how its just objectively wrong.

Also lol at your last comment, try to restrain your C grade goonery.

Glasses don't obfuscate your vision...if you have 2 functioning eyeballs you can see past them. It is objectively wrong and there's a reason why no videogames represent helmets and visors in this way.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Glasses don't obfuscate your vision...if you have 2 functioning eyeballs you can see past them. It is objectively wrong and there's a reason why no videogames represent helmets and visors in this way.
The overlay PN uses for glasses doesn't obfuscate anything. It puts adds a filter of sorts to indicate there are lenses in front your eyes/camera. Which actually is realistic. I've been wearing glasses 25 years and when I look through glasses I do notice that I'm looking through lenses.
Also when wearing helmets I do see the edges when they're in my field of view. I suppose if you wanted to go for realism, those overlays need to blurred a bit because you are focusing your sight past them. But who really cares.

But please. Don't let me stop you from continuing bitch about how this optional feature that you're not using doesn't conform to your standards of ~realism~.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 23, 2015

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

He isn't the one being the weird baby, friend :)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

God, what a precious thread. Not once did I say that someone shouldn't play a certain way, I was clarifying why I think it is bad because others were explaining why they think it's good and now some grade A dorks are throwing around words like Goony and editing their posts in a froth. Go outside.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's not about how hard it is to fight in a metal suit, it's how you implement the HUD overlay well. Republic Commando does the whole enclosed helmet thing way better than Project Nevada's overlays.

True, but I don't think it's about the ability of the moders to make a functional helmet ui, but more that is fitting in my opinion to have an extremely clunky design where its ease of use is very much secondary to looks and impressiveness from the outside. It feels appropriate for the setting.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Holy poo poo you guys fuckin steamrolled Knuc and he wasn't even saying anything bad about the game, just stating his preference :v:

wtf dudes

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Dog hat is my favorite hat. I didn't know I could turn it off in project nevada so the first time i picked it up and put it on and saw how bad the overlay was I threw it away.

who would wear this

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

No but you see that's immersive because i often tape viewmasters to my face.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Actually I have some goggles and paintball masks and it really does look kinda like that unless you've got monster huge lenses.

Edit: Specifically your eyes just kinda filter out and blur the lens edges, but they still do restrict your peripheral vision. You'd need lenses that literally wrap around your skull and extend below the nose to see perfectly.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 24, 2015

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

chitoryu12 posted:

Actually I have some goggles and paintball masks and it really does look kinda like that unless you've got monster huge lenses.

Edit: Specifically your eyes just kinda filter out and blur the lens edges, but they still do restrict your peripheral vision. You'd need lenses that literally wrap around your skull and extend below the nose to see perfectly.

do you hit them with a hammer 5x and sand 'em a little before you use them

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I love when the hockey mask puts a figure-8 slit in front of your field of vision.

chitoryu12 posted:

Well that's well and good but it's not what PN does. It makes a sharp-edged black box with a cutout take up the whole screen, you can't "filter it out". And goggles have huge chinks and cracks and like dead bugs on them. It doesn't feel immersive it just looks bad and distracting.

Compare that to how GTA V handles sunglasses. If you wear tinted sunglasses and then go into first-person mode, the game world is tinted the color of your shades but you don't actually "see" the sunglasses themselves. The point of adding face mask or glasses filters isn't to obstruct your vision, it's to give the effect of what your character is seeing. But Project Nevada just takes it to the extreme so that you always see this sharp, in-focus thing blocking your sight. Eyes don't stay focused on stuff right over your eyes, that's why eyeglasses can be worn comfortably. If we saw the world like PN sees the world then we'd tear our glasses off our faces because it would drive us crazy after a few minutes.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 24, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

When's the last time do you think someone properly cleaned and replaced the lenses on their glasses in the post-apocalyptic wasteland?

If PN went for true immersion, wearing prescription eyeglasses would make your vision incredibly blurry and change the apparent depth of objects.

Cool Dogs Only
Nov 10, 2012
I have an issue with the Mojave Music Radio - Extended mod where despite adding 65 new songs and selecting MojaveExtended80.esp, I still end up hearing the same subset of 10 or so songs over and over. Anybody know how to fix this? Nobody on the nexus page had an explanation.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Sorry to butt into ~~~~~~~~~~ Visor Overlay Immersion Chat ~~~~` but that goon who made A Sack Full of Hats, you did a Good Job.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

drat, those are some pretty sweet hats. I'll have to grab that later. By the way, do we have a list of goon-made mods buried in this thread somewhere? I generally trust the folks here more than the average Nexus rabble.

So I probably should've listened to the advice in the OP about the Purge Cell Buffers mod because now most of my recent saves crash in the same places, even with the mod disabled and deleted, so I've lost at least several hours of progress in this run depending on how far back I have to go to find a save that works. Assuming it wasn't something else that did it.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Delsaber posted:

drat, those are some pretty sweet hats. I'll have to grab that later. By the way, do we have a list of goon-made mods buried in this thread somewhere? I generally trust the folks here more than the average Nexus rabble.

So I probably should've listened to the advice in the OP about the Purge Cell Buffers mod because now most of my recent saves crash in the same places, even with the mod disabled and deleted, so I've lost at least several hours of progress in this run depending on how far back I have to go to find a save that works. Assuming it wasn't something else that did it.

Are you using NVAC? If not, try NVAC.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Does anyone know how to make the strip and free side open mods stable? I've played with them before and they were fine but now the game crashes half the time I go through a building. I have nvac and 4gb patch.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

Doctor Goat posted:

Dog hat is my favorite hat. I didn't know I could turn it off in project nevada so the first time i picked it up and put it on and saw how bad the overlay was I threw it away.

who would wear this

Probably no one unless they desperately needed the protection. Those cracks are there because the helmet condition is low, and at that point you'd rather just throw it away than use it (or just repair it). Part of why its enjoyable as an immersion thing.

:edit: Kind of like when Iron man throws his helmet off in the films because its too damaged, whereas in New Vegas you'd keep it on because it still gives you +4 dt or whatever.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Doctor Goat posted:

Are you using NVAC? If not, try NVAC.

Yeah, I'm running that plus the rest of the mods suggested for performance in the OP. Ran great for ages, not a crash in over 100 hours, but combat began to stutter a bit so I added PCB despite the warning and I think that's where the trouble started. That'll learn me.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Does anyone know how to make the strip and free side open mods stable? I've played with them before and they were fine but now the game crashes half the time I go through a building. I have nvac and 4gb patch.
Those mods are inherently unstable because the engine is poo poo at handling large amounts of NPCs efficiently. But since both apparently used to work fine for you (I assume on the same hardware), you may want to start looking elsewhere for the problem.
Do you have other mods that affect the Freeside & Strip worldspaces, or the interiors attached to it? Do you still have the vanilla autosaves enabled? If so, disable them and use CASM instead. Crashing on area transition is also one of the symptoms of having too many mods. If your loadorder has 100+ plugins, check if it happens with less then 100.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Raygereio posted:

Those mods are inherently unstable because the engine is poo poo at handling large amounts of NPCs efficiently. But since both apparently used to work fine for you (I assume on the same hardware), you may want to start looking elsewhere for the problem.
Do you have other mods that affect the Freeside & Strip worldspaces, or the interiors attached to it? Do you still have the vanilla autosaves enabled? If so, disable them and use CASM instead. Crashing on area transition is also one of the symptoms of having too many mods. If your loadorder has 100+ plugins, check if it happens with less then 100.

Nah I've got minimal mods this time which is why it's weird. Last time I went hogwild and it was much more stable.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Nah I've got minimal mods this time which is why it's weird. Last time I went hogwild and it was much more stable.

It sounds like your last mod set up was something akin to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI0euMFAWF8

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Luminaflare posted:

It sounds like your last mod set up was something akin to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI0euMFAWF8

Ahahaha. I made this same joke last week when I was complaining about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Realistic Wasteland Lighting Enhanced looks nice, especially at night: