Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Snak posted:

Not only Had it happened before, his attitude was basically "yeah I hosed up again, whatever. It happens". Like he stabbed people who were running away in the back. it's not like they all were trying to fight him. He executed them.

I guess those rumors about the crazy Cat school are true.

Also because the Wild Hunt is somewhat of an analogue to the Frost Giants of Norse mythology. What with Ragh nar Roog being analogous to Ragnarok.
edit2: I looked it up, and the ship made of fingernails (and toenails) of the dead is literally from Norse mythology as well. That;s pretty awesome.

edit: And yes, the fact that we are all disagreeing about whether the different actions of various characters are justified is testament to how well this game is written. The choices aren't just posed as morally ambiguous to "trick" us, they actually are somewhat ambiguous and the game isn't really keeping score on "how evil" we are or whatever.

Well, that's not really right. The Wild Hunt are The Wild Hunt. Odin is the leader in the Wild Hunt in some myths, but it's more of a cental/eastern european thing.

The ship thing is true though - but that's conflated. There are already frost giants in the game.

One thing I don't get: the sorceresses are supposed to be political experts, advisors, etc. Yen is very smart and very blunt and doesn't mince words. I like Triss, but she's not exactly shown to be that competent. The rat thing was an obvious trap that she only survived because Geralt was there. Keira is too stupid to realize Radovid is gonna kill her. Philippa is like the most untrustworthy person in the universe. I mean, if you were a king I'd think you'd have to hire Yennifer because at least she's probably not going to try to kill you or naively get you killed. She'll just use you then abandon you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Spite posted:

One thing I don't get: the sorceresses are supposed to be political experts, advisors, etc. Yen is very smart and very blunt and doesn't mince words. I like Triss, but she's not exactly shown to be that competent. The rat thing was an obvious trap that she only survived because Geralt was there. Keira is too stupid to realize Radovid is gonna kill her. Philippa is like the most untrustworthy person in the universe. I mean, if you were a king I'd think you'd have to hire Yennifer because at least she's probably not going to try to kill you or naively get you killed. She'll just use you then abandon you.
They're advisors because they can actually do magic. Keira is just desperate as all gently caress. Her reasoning is that nobody who is king could actually be that insane, right? which doesn't really work out so well. She wants Radovid to be a rational person because it'd work out well for her, but she knows he isn't. Triss is the same, and it was only obviously a trap because the game sent you there at the same time. She's obviously done these kind of jobs before without issues. And, too, sorceresses can talk to each instantly. That's got to be huge in a game world where normal messengers take days. The logistical benefits of keeping a sorceress on retainer have to be immense.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Kill harpies --> collect harpy feathers ---> dismantle into monster feathers

When I needed Monster Feathers, I just loot glitched a harpy nest, got about 30 harpy eggs. They dismantle into monster feathers I think. harpy feathers at the least and then they can dismantle into monster feathers.

I have literally hundreds of harpy feathers now though because Jesus Christ they're everywhere.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Snak posted:

I mean, Geralt spent weeks so far following Ciri's trail and didn't feel the need to resort to the type of force and destruction that Yennifer has. Geralt actually has a modicum of diplomacy in his actions, probably because, as a Witcher, he needs to be able to work in these lands indefinitely. So the writers conveniently created not one, but two situations (so far) where "the only choice" was for Yennifer to be selfish, destructive, and disrespectful.

Yeah but if Geralt kept doing that, he'd never have found her. The corpse was the only, uhh, "person" with the relevant knowledge. Triss is really nice and sweet and not particularly helpful, in the end.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheStampede posted:

Because there is a difference between doing something out of necessity, and having something done to you explicitly to cause discomfort?

but again you only get portaled over a lake if you are being argumentative about something she already told you is fine she just needs to process it and leave her alone. if, in typical goon fashion, you ignored this and went 'well but wait listen I AM RIGHT' then yeah you get dumped into a lake.

quote:

What actually happens in you have 3 options "I'm not going to grovel" "I'm sorry" and "I already told you, I lost my memory". If you say you aren't going to grovel, she chucks you in the lake. And for the record, I don't think it's a big deal, and it was funny, but it also is just another example of abusing sorceress powers because she can.

ah my mistake I was remembering incorrectly. Still, when your SO for the last 20 years confronts you with something she is upset about the best response is probably not a nonchalant 'whatever bitch I'm Geralt.'

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 23, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shoehead posted:

Mr T hated planes but the rest of the A Team would trick him into flying somehow. I feel Geralt is on about the same level.

Vesemir is Hannibal
Eskel is Face
Lambert is Murdock

I would watch / play this.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Spite posted:

The look on (late game spoilers) Radovid's face when Phillipa comes out of the room he tries to escape to, is priceless.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spite posted:

Well, that's not really right. The Wild Hunt are The Wild Hunt. Odin is the leader in the Wild Hunt in some myths, but it's more of a cental/eastern european thing.

The ship thing is true though - but that's conflated. There are already frost giants in the game.

Triss is shown to be pretty canny at the whole politics thing in the first game, but then everything goes to poo poo for her and keeps getting worse until her desperation starts to addle her judgement. Keira, as mentioned, has been so insulated from current events thanks to living out in the sticks (and so desperate to escape that situation) that she thinks the rumors of Radovid are exaggerated. Philippa was an excellent vizier to Radovid's father and her scheme was pretty solid at the start, but she's so confident in her own power that she gets blindsided (in a number of ways!) by people she thinks are already under her control.

It's worth noting that Radovid is the number-one culprit for loving up the sorceress' plans because he's so drat crazy that he keeps catching them by surprise. The Lodge were all members of the aristocracy, and they were at least expecting rational actors. But Radovid's got a slavering grudge against all mages just because he thought his nanny was too mean to him as a boy, and he also has the ambition to follow through with his Final Solution plans on top of maintaining a large-scale war.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

JetsGuy posted:

The look on (late game spoilers) Radovid's face when Phillipa comes out of the room he tries to escape to, is priceless.

I assumed it was exactly the house that Philippa was supposed to be in, and he was going in to kill her, and didn't quite think through what was gonna happen next. I guess your way makes sense too. I kind of liked my version because it made roche's ambush irrelevant but I guess yours is more likely.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

JetsGuy posted:

He killed innocents and that's why I killed him. The village jumped him after he threatened the whole town that he'd be "worse than the Leshen". They panicked, which is understandable given it's an already angry guy with two swords and from the Cat School to boot. I don't blame the town for trying to jump him because it was the only chance they had against him. Yeah, they tried to cheat him, but literally threatening the town with death is a ridiculous reaction to that.

Regardless of how you feel about the circumstances of him being jumped though, there's no reason to slaughter the whole town. He's also done it before. gently caress him.

But hey, the fact that we disagree really highlights how amazing the writing in this game is.

It doesn't really seem all too unreasonable for him to threaten the town for cheating him, that's his only bargaining chip after having already completed the contract. When they're reaction isn't "oh poo poo maybe we should actually pay the trained-from-childhood monster-killer" but "let's take him into the barn and murder him" it makes the involved villagers seem less like panicked and more just like really evil and dumb assholes. Slaughtering the whole village is really lovely, but you have to remember a witcher isn't going to see them as simple and innocent folk but rather hateful bigots who will tolerate your presence only when there is a monster what needs killing and even then they'll usually try to gently caress you over in some way. Combine that perspective with a near-mortal wound and you're probably going to get a bloodrage massacre from the best of people.

I do agree though, that quest does demonstrate the level of writing here. All sorts of legitimate ways to look at it and it's amazing how all of Geralt's responses to the situation manage to be consistent with his character.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 23, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

What actually happens in you have 3 options "I'm not going to grovel" "I'm sorry" and "I already told you, I lost my memory". If you say you aren't going to grovel, she chucks you in the lake. And for the record, I don't think it's a big deal, and it was funny, but it also is just another example of abusing sorceress powers because she can.

Unlike Geralt mind raping some poor smuck with Axii.

Snak posted:

I mean, I get that it is from Yennifer's perspective, but you are literally arguing that it's the right thing to gently caress over an entire community because you think it will help you find your daughter faster. To argue that this is objectively good is :psyduck:

Let's ignore the fact that Ciri has elder blood which would be pretty bad if the wild hunt got their hands on.

quote:

Cat and the Wolf DLC spoilers

If you let him go, which is totally the right thing to do :colbert:, you see that he has other trophies in his hideout which means that other dumb fucks tried to cheat him. No pay = no monster extermination. You don't get to hire someone knowing that you don't have enough money to pay them THEN try to kill them. That is hosed up and they got theirs, witcher universe style. Besides if he didn't kill them, the monster he was paid to kill would have :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 23, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Has this been posted? I guess this is the final free DLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFETTPvBPtY

edit: It was, I'm just blind :)

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 23, 2015

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
How is the death march difficulty? I just finally finished my first playthrough which I played on blood and broken bones and some point around 1/3 of the way into it I felt the inevitable power creep of all open-world RPGs where I was able to bash most everything without much thought or difficulty (I noticed this when I completely stopped fussing with oils and barely used potions and bombs). Probably not going to play through the whole game but I'm thinking of starting a go on death march as I like the thought of really having to think about every encounter and actually using the resources I find rather than tossing them in the bottomless alchemy backpack.

Also probably gonna try to not use quen much because gently caress that poo poo's op nerf this sick filth haha

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

How is the death march difficulty?
Brutal with stock equipment, medium once you get some gear and abilities, easy once you get more gear and abilities.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Gobblecoque posted:

How is the death march difficulty? I just finally finished my first playthrough which I played on blood and broken bones and some point around 1/3 of the way into it I felt the inevitable power creep of all open-world RPGs where I was able to bash most everything without much thought or difficulty (I noticed this when I completely stopped fussing with oils and barely used potions and bombs). Probably not going to play through the whole game but I'm thinking of starting a go on death march as I like the thought of really having to think about every encounter and actually using the resources I find rather than tossing them in the bottomless alchemy backpack.

Also probably gonna try to not use quen much because gently caress that poo poo's op nerf this sick filth haha

I just beat it on Death March yesterday and it's exactly like this. The beginning of the game is a loving slog, and then by the time you reach about level 8 or so, things start to level off, partly because you have enough abilities and equipment to carry you, and also because you've developed the skills at dodging and blocking to survive. Quen is basically mandatory, though, since you can probably take like two or three hits from an enemy at your level, and the boss fights turn into wars of attrition where you dodge around just to have an opportunity to do a couple of light attacks. But honestly, after that initial hump, it's not bad at all.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Lame, sounds like it would basically just be a repeat of my first playthrough but with a tougher White Orchard. :( I'll probably just shelve The Witcher for a while until the expansions come out and eventually get cheap.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Spite posted:

As far as I know, the "mythological" Wild Hunt was more or less invented by the Brothers Grimm in the 19th century, and the Witcher Wild hunt is basically alien orcs from space-mordor.

There are already Frost Giants in the game, but they don't occupy the same mythological space as frost giants do in Norse mythology. I just said what I did because in Ragnarok, the Frost Giants come across Bifrost and sail in the ship Naglfar, which is made of the nails of the dead, to do battle against the gods. In the Witcher, the Wild Hunt, which is associated with frost and cold, also sail in the ship Naglfar.

I'm not saying it's a 1-to-1 correspondence, but I think the frost connection is more than coincidence. I think since Frost Giants exist normally in the world of the Witcher, the Wild Hunt has usurped their place in Ragh nar Roog mythology.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The concept of the Wild Hunt has been around a lot longer than the 19th century. Grimm's version is based upon the Danish Ellekonge or King of the Elves, which later gets conflated with the alder-king and forest spirits by Johann Gottfried von Herder when he based a ballad for a book he was writing upon a much older Danish ballad called "Hr. Oluf han rider". There's also versions of the story that go back to Herla King (aka Harlequin/Hellequin), and the figure as leader of the Wild Hunt has regional examples in English, German and Scandinavian lore.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Gobblecoque posted:

It doesn't really seem all too unreasonable for him to threaten the town for cheating him, that's his only bargaining chip after having already completed the contract. When they're reaction isn't "oh poo poo maybe we should actually pay the trained-from-childhood monster-killer" but "let's take him into the barn and murder him" it makes the involved villagers seem less like panicked and more just like really evil and dumb assholes. Slaughtering the whole village is really lovely, but you have to remember a witcher isn't going to see them as simple and innocent folk but rather hateful bigots who will tolerate your presence only when there is a monster what needs killing and even then they'll usually try to gently caress you over in some way. Combine that perspective with a near-mortal wound and you're probably going to get a bloodrage massacre from the best of people.

I do agree though, that quest does demonstrate the level of writing here. All sorts of legitimate ways to look at it and it's amazing how all of Geralt's responses to the situation manage to be consistent with his character.

Yeah. I watched the video of the spare him options afterwards, and I was amazed at how well the writing played in both directions. Often times in these games the "bad" decision has a noticeably different of just plain off reaction. KOTOR was like that in a lot of ways too. That said, the darkside dialogue choices were always the most hilarious. [Force Persuade] Hey you two, jump down that big pit!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JetsGuy posted:

[Force Persuade] Hey you two, jump down that big pit!

I will never not do this in that game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Just a heads up to the devs that Black Pearl quest has been hosed by the new patch. Nidas dies from the drowners before you get to the shore. Every single time. There's absolutely no way to protect him. When I googled it people have been reporting it on other forums too. Welp, that's my story from the 10 minute gameplay session between crashes.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The devs figured his story wasn't tragic enough.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I must say the feeling of despair I get when the screen freezes is beyond any tragic quest outcome in the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hexenritter posted:

The concept of the Wild Hunt has been around a lot longer than the 19th century. Grimm's version is based upon the Danish Ellekonge or King of the Elves, which later gets conflated with the alder-king and forest spirits by Johann Gottfried von Herder when he based a ballad for a book he was writing upon a much older Danish ballad called "Hr. Oluf han rider". There's also versions of the story that go back to Herla King (aka Harlequin/Hellequin), and the figure as leader of the Wild Hunt has regional examples in English, German and Scandinavian lore.

Yeah, you're right, I was wrong about that.

I've had maybe 5 crashes on PS4 so far, but I've never lost progress as a result of any of them, so I can't really complain.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Is it possible to get the Wolf armor at Kaer Morhen in the beginning? The lowest level armor is 14, I'd you can't get it before you rally to the fortress, it seems kinda silly. That being said, I wish that all the armor was available at the same levels. Making the bear armor available so much later than the others is kind of a drag.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

10 Beers posted:

Is it possible to get the Wolf armor at Kaer Morhen in the beginning? The lowest level armor is 14, I'd you can't get it before you rally to the fortress, it seems kinda silly. That being said, I wish that all the armor was available at the same levels. Making the bear armor available so much later than the others is kind of a drag.

You can't leave the grounds of the actual castle in the intro, so no, you can't get the armor schematics until you visit after following Ciri's trail. That being said, it does at least take you to some cool places on the Kaer Morhen map you would otherwise have no reason to visit, so that's neat.

sertalman
Apr 4, 2010
I've also been getting more crashes since 1.07, though they're not frequent enough to annoy me.

Oddly enough, most of them seem to be triggered by quest progression, as in, I complete a quest stage, get the journal update and then the game crashes to desktop.

Also, weren't Roach's controls supposed to be improved by the latest patch? I haven't noticed any difference.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I assume to get Roaches new controls, you have to switch to the new controls, which will also change Geralt's controls.

edit: V I thought that was in the patch notes as well.

I don't ride Roach very much, though.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 23, 2015

sertalman
Apr 4, 2010
That makes some sense, I guess. I was hoping they had fixed Roach stopping to a halt on bridges.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

sertalman posted:

That makes some sense, I guess. I was hoping they had fixed Roach stopping to a halt on bridges.

They specifically mentioned fixing this in the patch, independently of the new movement mode.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I retried the race against Eskel for the umpteenth time in the old version before giving up. gently caress bridges and the horses that ride over them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rated PG-34 posted:

I retried the race against Eskel for the umpteenth time in the old version before giving up. gently caress bridges and the horses that ride over them.
Press jump just before you would ride onto the bridge, Roach doesn't stop then. It takes some timing practice but works.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Moridin920 posted:

I will never not do this in that game.

Kreia yells at you either way, so w/e.

Also, it took ten years, but the group that finally finished the droid planet and all the extra side missions that got left out did excellent work. Gave me reason to play KOTOR2 again and it was worth the wait, actually. They basically picked up from where Team Gizka left off.

If you weren't aware of it, you are now and should go play it.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Can someone post (or link me to) a list of all the new level requirements for the Witcher gear? And not just the initial sets but also the improved versions.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

Can someone post (or link me to) a list of all the new level requirements for the Witcher gear? And not just the initial sets but also the improved versions.

I would love to see this to. The improved version seem to be every 5 levels, so I feel like you could chain them together an have an optimum Witcher gear for every level if you were a huge nerd about it. Not quite cause there's only 4 sets. I don't have the game in front of me right now though, so I can't check if the starting levels are all offset or if some of them are the same level...

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I believe Superior is now Level 29 and Mastercrafted is Rule Level 34, across the board.

Each armor isn't meant to be "graduated into"--it supports a distinct playstyle. Cat armor is fast attack, high stamina use. Griffin is all about signs. Wolf is a mix of the two, but basically works as a punchier Griffin (especially as it's medium armor and thus can benefit from the Griffin school ability). Ursine is being a damned tank with light sign usage.

Yeah, for Wolf armor you have to wait until you finish the "Ciri's Footsteps" arcs, but then Kaer Morhen is unlocked and you can go back and forth at will.

Would be nice if KM was open from the beginning though; given that most of its content is scaled to ~level 15-20 (or higher) I guess they'll leave it plot-gated. Skellige is similarly gated but it's more of a master lock on a chain link fence.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 23, 2015

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Snak posted:

The improved version seem to be every 5 levels, so I feel like you could chain them together an have an optimum Witcher gear for every level if you were a huge nerd about it.
Yeah this is kind of why I want it. Also, since I started using a gold exploit that is mostly only useful to be able to afford tons of respecs, I really want to try out all the witcher gears and different specs involving them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

Would be nice if KM was open from the beginning though; given that most of its content is scaled to ~level 15-20 (or higher) I guess they'll leave it plot-gated. Skellige is similarly gated but it's more of a master lock on a chain link fence.

It doesn't even make sense why it's locked. It's like, Geralt's "home" (as close as he has to one), and you just... ride there. It's not like it's on an island or something.

I like the skills, and I like the skill equip system in concept, but I think it's really poorly executed. I mean, to unlock higher tier skills, you have to put points in the tree, but then you are limited in how many skill you can have equipped, so if you want to be in more than one tree at all, you're required to put points into skills that can't equip. That is kind of lovely. Also, a lot of the "generic" skills are completely necisarry, but basically take away from your mutagen synergy.

Also adrenaline generation and points are the most confusing and unintuitive mechanic. Like, they exist from the beginning of the game, but as far as I know, they do nothing unless you have skills that use them, which is like, 4 skills, maybe? So if you want adrenaline point to be useful, you need the generic skill that makes the improve your damage and sign intensity, or the generic skill the lets you cast signs with them. But adrenaline generation is primarily a sword tree stat, so you want to spec heavily into red and get synergy with red mutigens, but you need at least one non-red skill to boost your damage. If you are primarily sword based, you also probably need one of the "school" skills, so that's two generic skills taking up your precious slots.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Geez, it is overwhelming arriving in Velen after a few days in White Orchard. I tried to do some side stuff before moving over to Hendrik, but almost every point of interest in the immediate area seems to be infested with enemies that are too strong to fight or just on the cusp of being too strong for a newbie such as myself. I was hoping to clear the side stuff by pieces of the map in the general vicinity of the main quest as I move through the world so it'd be less overwhelming and require less backtracking, but now I'm wondering if that's totally infeasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Palpek posted:

So I went back to playing with the new patch after a week break and...crashes are back. In the previous patch I deleted a lot of saves and disabled cloud synch and all crashing whatsoever stopped.

Now it's back to locking my PC every 10 minutes. I'm seriously losing patiance here, at this point I'd rather play a broken game than deal with CDPR loving up the game every time they upload something.

I found that the patch reset a lot of my graphical settings to default, not sure if previous ones did. Check your fullscreen settings.