Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LordSaturn posted:

Someone tell me five cross-class skills I should take on MNK before Fracture, please.

fracture x 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Verranicus posted:

At the risk of scaring people away from Balmung even further, I discovered something truly horrible today. There was someone advertising that they were willing to sell their housing plot in the party finder, and upon checking their search info, I found that they were an RPer like much of the server but, well.. also this. :nws::nms: http://tinyurl.com/magidysea :nws::nms:

they helpfully provide definitions of that veritable encyclopedia of fetishes if you hover over them, too. who knew today was gonna be a learning kinda day

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Im probably undercutting at least some of you on everything you sell.

I have no Egrets.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LordSaturn posted:

Someone tell me five cross-class skills I should take on MNK before Fracture, please.

Actually fracture is still ok for monks if you have TP. Feel free to fracture.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Verranicus posted:

At the risk of scaring people away from Balmung even further, I discovered something truly horrible today. There was someone advertising that they were willing to sell their housing plot in the party finder, and upon checking their search info, I found that they were an RPer like much of the server but, well.. also this. :nws::nms: http://tinyurl.com/magidysea :nws::nms:

quote:

Born in a sterile lab hidden away from the rest of the world, Magi'dysea was to be simply another weapon to be used in a secret war that she herself never had a bid in.

Ugh, with writing like this I can see why you're reacting so strongly. :nallears:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Kitfox88 posted:

Ugh, with writing like this I can see why you're reacting so strongly. :nallears:

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that she/he has this complete set of lore somehow crammed into the FFXIV setting that only their character follows or the fact that they love gargling urine, vomit and smegma.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's so weird, it's like living in an alternate universe looking back on the real one. What makes Fracture better for MNK than for other classes?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LordSaturn posted:

It's so weird, it's like living in an alternate universe looking back on the real one. What makes Fracture better for MNK than for other classes?

With enough GL stacks you can cast fracture the fastest!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LordSaturn posted:

220 potency is above pretty much all monk skills. If you can spare the TP its good damage.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LordSaturn posted:

Speaking as someone who is not a monk and who does not know how to play monk:

Many of Monk's actions have low individual potency, with most of their damage coming from the Greased Lightning buff. Greased Lightning will happily buff fracture too, which, due to monk's low potency moves, compares favorably. However, due to the necessity of keeping GL3 up, you don't get an opportunity to use it very often.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LordSaturn posted:

It basically comes down to having a free GCD in your rotation, and Fracture is the only option to fill it. Paladins also have a free GCD if their GCD gets down below 2.4, so it's not a terrible idea for short fights when offtanking. While maintanking they'll want to Shield Swipe instead, and for long fights it's too much of a TP drain.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Speaking as someone who is not a monk and who does not know how to play monk:

Many of Monk's actions have low individual potency, with most of their damage coming from the Greased Lightning buff. Greased Lightning will happily buff fracture too, which, due to monk's low potency moves, compares favorably. However, due to the necessity of keeping GL3 up, you don't get an opportunity to use it very often.

Eh, even as a bad monk I manage to keep fracture up most of the time. With GL3 you have plenty of time to use 2 gcds in-between combos.

Keeping GL3 up is only a challenge when a boss has lots of periods where you are forced to do nothing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fister Roboto posted:

It basically comes down to having a free GCD in your rotation, and Fracture is the only option to fill it. Paladins also have a free GCD if their GCD gets down below 2.4, so it's not a terrible idea for short fights when offtanking. While maintanking they'll want to Shield Swipe instead, and for long fights it's too much of a TP drain.

At 60 PLDs don't want to fracture anymore. Anything below 54, yeah.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Unlucky7 posted:

HEY GUYS I LOVE FRACTURE IN FACT THAT IS THE ONLY SKILL I USE EVEN WHILE TANKING COME TELL ME I AM AN IDIOT INSTEAD OF DISCUSSING WHATEVER THAT LINK IS I AM SURE IT IS NOT IMPORTANT.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So have tanks been able to clear AS1 and 2 with full str gear? Or is it still looking like vit is the only real viable option until people get their hand on better stuff.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I have a running joke with my FFXIV-playing coworker that other classes' mechanics are basically inferior versions of Greased Lightning. I am very pleased that Fracture Supremacy plays into this narrative. :smug:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So have tanks been able to clear AS1 and 2 with full str gear? Or is it still looking like vit is the only real viable option until people get their hand on better stuff.

You can and probably should do Faust as the mt with str gear but I think the buster hits a bit to hard to do in full str gear.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just trying Faust for shits and giggles with pubbies I was able to survive until the hard enrage with my STR gear just fine, and any DPS boost helps, so I don't think VIT gear will be necessary for Faust.

Past that I don't know my static is still on Whale EX because not everyone's had enough time to play to gear up yet :v:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah Faust is easily doable with str gear I more meant oppressor and then the dolls in AS2.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oppressor's tank buster hits you for about 13k damage with Sentinel up and no Dragon Kick. You can decide how thin of a margin of error you want to give your healers on an already aoe heavy fight.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

At 60 PLDs don't want to fracture anymore. Anything below 54, yeah.

Well like I said, if you get your GCD down to below 2.4, you can squeeze it in there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fister Roboto posted:

Well like I said, if you get your GCD down to below 2.4, you can squeeze it in there.

The problem is it's a DPS loss. You average more than 220 potency per GCD at 60 with every combo except Rage of Halone. I have enough TP problems that I don't have the room for fracture anyways on PLD.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Eej posted:

So Favours are pretty easy to collect and do but I'm not sure I want to reserve 11 hours and 15 minutes of my life every week for straight gathering unless the mats sell for stupendous amounts.

Is that 11.25 hours how many real hours of gathering you're figuring it'll take to cap red scrip as a gatherer every week? Cause that's what my rough math came out to as well.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

A cool skill on Warrior now is Bloodbath. I'd forget to use it a lot before Heavensward, but it's pretty great now for doing roided out Deliverance AOE spam and curing yourself for thousands of damage with every AOE.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
I'm trying PVP for the first time cause it's easy esoterics, and it's pretty fun tbh. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, however. I main WHM and I'm running around casting regen and instant-cast heals to keep people alive, sleeping anyone who looks annoying (Mainly other healers) and occasionally using Fluid Aura to knock away annoying melee dps types. Sometimes I try to use normal heals but everyone gets hit so fast they feel way too slow, and often I'm getting interrupted by half a dozen people attacking me at once. Without cleric stance I feel kinda useless damage-wise but I'm wondering if there is anything in particular I'm missing about healing in pvp.

Note this is mostly the new pvp I'm talking about.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Surecast is good, and you should use it. It actually does what you expect it to do in PvP.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Niton posted:

Surecast is good, and you should use it. It actually does what you expect it to do in PvP.

God drat I forget that exists. This probably outs me as a bad whm.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr. Nice! posted:

And you will have TP to spend because oh hey giving monks Tornado Kick means we can have even more downtime in boss fights. :suicide:

Mr. Nice! posted:

220 potency is above pretty much all monk skills. If you can spare the TP its good damage.

Just make sure you aren't letting Dragon Kick and/or Twin Snakes fall off because losing those for a GCD makes the DPS gain of Fracture that much smaller.

Though if you have an AST and they put the Arrow buff on you go hog wild because your GCD with Arrow+GL3 is insane (as is the rate you burn TP).

KoB
May 1, 2009
All this "rotation" chat is always beyond me. As long as Im trying to keep up my buffs & debuffs while using my oGCDs pretty much as soon as possible (as applicable), am I good?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

KoB posted:

All this "rotation" chat is always beyond me. As long as Im trying to keep up my buffs & debuffs while using my oGCDs pretty much as soon as possible (as applicable), am I good?

no

e: omg this av

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

KoB posted:

For general purposes this is a perfectly fine compromise. If it's something you plan to play more actively, you should dig up the most optimized rotations/priorities/whatever. And for certain fights there may be burn phases where it's best to save your oGCDs for them.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

KoB posted:

Bare minimum, you want to try to keep oGCDs weaved in between your combos so you're not offloading all your oGCDs in one go and potentially losing out on GCD time. Keeping a stun or two up against enemies that need to be CCed on occasion is sometimes key, too, but usually you can use them for more DPS. Try to time your buffs to benefit your hardest hitting combo or attack the best (for example, the Dragoon surges combo'd into Jump and Full Thrust). I tend to not use any defensive oGCD buffs unless I actually need them so those don't factor much into it.

E: also don't get caught in an attack animation when you anticipate a huge aoe attack.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What in the hell is a likpate supposed to be other than looking rather penis like in some of the avatars that feature them

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ciaphas posted:

What in the hell is a likpate supposed to be other than looking rather penis like in some of the avatars that feature them

That's exactly what they are. :nws: Go and behold the wonder of the Likpa, and know that you asked for this :nws:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
i likpate

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Writing a note to myself to click this later when I am not at work because I do, in fact, hate myself and am addicted to internet horrors :smith:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Has yoship said anything about the zodiac weapons yet? Why do I have the feeling that the day after i buy an esoteric weapon he guna Kramer in and tell me they're getting upgraded to i230 in 3.1

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

SpaceDrake posted:

A lot of people simply go by their previous experiences in a given piece of content and assume it must be like that all the time, or simply have a comfort zone which they shut down outside of. Despite being nearly level 60, he probably never did the math and realized that Protect isn't even necessary for pre-30 dungeons, or didn't realize that, especially with the changes to syncing, a SCH can easily solo the dungeons at that level.

He flipped out because he was afraid of ephemeral "failure", but for whatever reason couldn't process the information in front of him that revealed his fears were unfounded.

People are crazy.

I went into a sub-level 50 dungeon (I think it was ~level 36) as a monk, and the tank stopped pulling and told me to go into earth stance as a monk. I did and said "Sure, though I'm not sure why. I won't take any damage during this run." And he flipped the gently caress out and said "forget it, you've already set the tone for this run by being poo poo at your job" and sat down.

The rest of the party backed me up in that it didn't matter in the least, and dude flipped his poo poo and bailed on the run.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

For WHM / Healing PVP one important skill to learn is when you don't heal. If some DRG jumps into the middle of another party's blob don't go running out trying to save him because a) you won't and he'll die and b) then they might come after you and you'll die. Stick with your group. Regen and Cure don't do enough if somebody is trying to kill somebody in your party, stick to Cure 2. Stoneskin prevents your casts from being interrupted when taking damage like Surecast and one of your PVP skills so try to keep it up on yourself when you find a second. Also make sure you equip and see what your PVP skills do. I like to improve the "remove any bad status" one first and use it when I get slept because as you found out sleep is great to use on healers! Some will try to sleep you twice in a row to get you to eat your Purify use, so keep that in mind.

(This is all from lv50 WHM PVP healing so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I haven't done new PVP yet)

Also the real prize (esoteric tomes) is just for participation so if your party sucks or goes everywhere without direction turn on netflix, follow somebody, and casually heal them and dying while watching some show is all you need to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Vil posted:

For general purposes this is a perfectly fine compromise. If it's something you plan to play more actively, you should dig up the most optimized rotations/priorities/whatever. And for certain fights there may be burn phases where it's best to save your oGCDs for them.

pandaK posted:

Bare minimum, you want to try to keep oGCDs weaved in between your combos so you're not offloading all your oGCDs in one go and potentially losing out on GCD time. Keeping a stun or two up against enemies that need to be CCed on occasion is sometimes key, too, but usually you can use them for more DPS. Try to time your buffs to benefit your hardest hitting combo or attack the best (for example, the Dragoon surges combo'd into Jump and Full Thrust). I tend to not use any defensive oGCD buffs unless I actually need them so those don't factor much into it.

E: also don't get caught in an attack animation when you anticipate a huge aoe attack.

I guess I simplified my post too much but I definitely do these. I didnt mean literally using everything ASAP :v:

E: I mainly play PLD and it seems like my DPS is total poo poo compared to stuff I see online and I have no idea why. Ive only got 2 oGCD attacks and try to keep Gore up and try to weave in Authority. Would slight tweaks to a rotation really give me like 2-3 hundred more deeps?

Maybe I shouldnt worry about it because Im not the type to try Savage content and I can keep threat and do the tank mechanics well enough I guess.

KoB fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 23, 2015

• Locked thread