Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Lord Twisted posted:

Cross post from mini painting thread:

:kingsley: Finished my Pyroclasts! :kingsley:
(although I have realised I need to touch up the inking on some of the shoulderpads where it bled and I didn't notice until I was actually posting this, but gently caress it)

Pretty happy with these. I'm still a fairly amateur hour painter but I think from tabletop distance they look pretty good. I got an interesting tip I used for the fuel hoses - pipe cleaners, burned up with a lighter.

http://imgur.com/a/RNrmr

These look really dope.

Might pick up some 30k Salamander stuff to convert to Death Guard. Those helms and pyro thingies are too cool.

EDIT: Are the heads separate from the torsos on the sprue?

DrPop fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

DrPop posted:

These look really dope.

Might pick up some 30k Salamander stuff to convert to Death Guard. Those helms and pyro thingies are too cool.

EDIT: Are the heads separate from the torsos on the sprue?

Thanks! And no :( the gun arm is one bit, the torso legs and head are one bit, the other arm and hands are separate tho.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Those pyroclasts look super detailed.That reminds me of the time I painted a chaos chosen from the DV box and I got so overwhelmed with how many little details are on the model I just ended up fudging my way through them and leaving a lot of the crap just basecoated and drybrushed. So far I only have 39 guardsmen painted, and I have 91 more to go including the two platoon command squads.

:suicide:

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Are hits against a squadron not allocated to the closest model? I thought you couldn't target individual units.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
They are.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Raphus C posted:

Are hits against a squadron not allocated to the closest model? I thought you couldn't target individual units.

Yeah, I'm really not following how this "3+ cover from your own squad" works either. Don't they just shoot the nearest tank on whatever facing it is presenting, and then dole out damage results until the pool of glancing/penetrating hits is exhausted?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Yeah. The only way that would work is if the firing shot was a precision shot.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I dusted off my Eldar collection today and played a game against a buddy's Tau list with advanced battlesuits: an Y'vahra, a R'varna, a regular Riptide, a squad of XV9 suits and some regular Crisis suits all backed up by expendable kroot infantry. I used the new rules (I didn't buy the book) for the first time so I didn't know what to expect. Battlereport here.

I probably won't be using the new rules again???

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well, yeah, D weapons are going to gently caress up monstrous creature lists and Riptides have never been a good answer for Wraithknights...

E: That post is kind of stupid in retrospect, I guess the real point is that the meta is currently changing (it's always been changing) so we'll have to see where we end up.

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 23, 2015

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
So are the enhanced ipad codexes a knock down over the print codexes? I always like having a book in my hands, but hate having old codexes taking up space when the new editions roll around. Thought I'd get some of the mechanicus stuff for fun reading.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Soulfucker posted:

I dusted off my Eldar collection today and played a game against a buddy's Tau list with advanced battlesuits: an Y'vahra, a R'varna, a regular Riptide, a squad of XV9 suits and some regular Crisis suits all backed up by expendable kroot infantry. I used the new rules (I didn't buy the book) for the first time so I didn't know what to expect. Battlereport here.

I probably won't be using the new rules again???

Same.

Eldar has always been my favorite army but I don't see myself playing much of them with the new book. Its just really, really, good. It's possible to play and win against it but it's not fun for anybody. Instantly removing your tricked out HQ from the table isn't fun, nor is chasing after scatter laser jetbikes all game.

I've started building up my Dark Angels instead :cool:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I feel like you can make an Eldar list that's not super powerful. You just need to limit yourself on the powered units. Like, take a some jetbikes, but don't give them ALL scatter lasers. Don't bring a Wraithknight, or if you do, take away its D shooting. Yeah, if you try to build a strong list, you will make one, but it's possible to make a list that's fun to play against with it. I always bring a variety of lists with my nids to the game store in case I do play against a newer player and I want to give them a game they could possibly win.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Master Twig posted:

I feel like you can make an Eldar list that's not super powerful. You just need to limit yourself on the powered units. Like, take a some jetbikes, but don't give them ALL scatter lasers. Don't bring a Wraithknight, or if you do, take away its D shooting. Yeah, if you try to build a strong list, you will make one, but it's possible to make a list that's fun to play against with it.

I was going through the units when designing my list (I didn't bring bikes or a D-toting Wraithknight :v:) and except the laser lock and serpent shield changes I guess it was all buffs for no extra points because gently caress it ???

Master Twig posted:

I always bring a variety of lists with my nids to the game store in case I do play against a newer player and I want to give them a game they could possibly win.

This is exactly my regular modus operandi these days; I really like useless close combat bugs.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah generally, but that seems to be the theme of 7th so far. Some think its a way to kill the point system like Fantasy

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

Yeah generally, but that seems to be the theme of 7th so far. Some think its a way to kill the point system like Fantasy

Considering AoS, that's the least reassuring thing somebody could've possibly told me.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Soulfucker posted:

Considering AoS, that's the least reassuring thing somebody could've possibly told me.

Have you sold your spare 40k armies yet?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Pierzak posted:

Have you sold your spare 40k armies yet?

I'm honestly debating it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm honestly debating it.

Always looking for decent deals on 2nd Ed 40k imperial guard...

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
So, I'm tempted to buy a copy of Sanctus Reach Stormclaw off eBay. I have two questions:

1) Is it worth it? Especially if I'm looking to supplement a Space Wolves army?
2) Would anyone be interested in splitting it? I'm only interested in the SW units, and to a less extent the campaign book.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Always looking for decent deals on 2nd Ed 40k imperial guard...

Nope, a small mountain of Orks. The only debate is keep them as the money has already been spent, or sell the because the odds of me playing with them is amazingly low. I like the models and enjoy painting them, but if I am never going to use them, why bother?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Indolent Bastard posted:

Nope, a small mountain of Orks. The only debate is keep them as the money has already been spent, or sell the because the odds of me playing with them is amazingly low. I like the models and enjoy painting them, but if I am never going to use them, why bother?

If you like painting them, then you're "using" them. Only get rid of them if you don't intend on acquiring any more enjoyment out of them.
And a pre-painted army would sell for more wouldn't it?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Indolent Bastard posted:

Oh modern orks? Unpainted/primed? PM if you want.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

If you like painting them, then you're "using" them. Only get rid of them if you don't intend on acquiring any more enjoyment out of them.
And a pre-painted army would sell for more wouldn't it?

I have loads of other stuff to paint that I certainly don't need the Orks, but I see your point. No, painted stuff goes for less, unless it is amazing work. My work is ok.

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh modern orks? Unpainted/primed? PM if you want.

I am waffling, but it is the whole range, bare to painted. I'll keep you in mind if I dump them.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

https://imgur.com/gallery/sOEDz/new My girlfriend just took a bunch of really high res pics of my mans. Check em out.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Whenever I've sold some gaming thing (full sets of magic, full set of rifts sourcebooks, 40k armies) i've always, always, always regretted it later. You get some hedonic adaptation and you stop liking a thing for a while, but you'll always swing back around and wish you hadn't parted with it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

GreenMarine posted:

Whenever I've sold some gaming thing (full sets of magic, full set of rifts sourcebooks, 40k armies) i've always, always, always regretted it later. You get some hedonic adaptation and you stop liking a thing for a while, but you'll always swing back around and wish you hadn't parted with it.

This might be true, but I was never, ever going to find another soul to play Middle Earth CCG with again.

Godspeed you crazy euros who paid north of $250 for some of the sets, I'll miss those over complicated but incredibly evocative cards :unsmith:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Ultramega posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/sOEDz/new My girlfriend just took a bunch of really high res pics of my mans. Check em out.

Nice pics but you need to get your painting brush out son. Preferred enemy: Unpainted all the way

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/INVICTARUS_SUZERAIN_SQUAD.html

I feel this may be the kick to start a 30k Ultra army.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Wow, they did a good job with calling back to the Honor Guard. Those helmets are hard to make look anything but silly.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/ZARDU_LAYAK.html

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
A new Games Workshop is opening in my area! A... Warhammer shop. :confused:

I thought they were scrapping that idea?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

PierreTheMime posted:

A new Games Workshop is opening in my area! A... Warhammer shop. :confused:

I thought they were scrapping that idea?

They were until the new ceo took over. It was his pet project to begin with, which should tell you a lot about how hes going to run GW.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

They were until the new ceo took over. It was his pet project to begin with, which should tell you a lot about how hes going to run GW.

I believe the term is "Augering this bitch into the ground". Maybe I should sell my last GW stuff I don't want.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 24, 2015

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Flipping through the Dark Eldar Codex, I see they changed Power From Pain and made it so that you didn't need to stick a Haemi in a unit of Mandrakes in order to unlock their shooting ability. I always thought they'd be fun to use regardless of whether or not they're good in the game, but does anyone ever use them? Are they close to being useful now?

Edit: I've got about 10 of the ancient metal Eldar Ranger minis, think their goofy space rifles and cloaks are convincing enough to be Mandrakes? I was thinking of cutting the barrels, too, but adding little fuel cannisters should be enough to represent tiny, lameass flamethrowers as stand-ins for throwing magic fireballs.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 24, 2015

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Playing my first game since November tomorrow, this is probably my 8th or so game of 7th ed. I'm brining my imperi...ASTRA MILAT..arium?

Anyway, I've seen all the crazy changes with the new Eldar dex, marines getting free rides, mini dexes, Necron dex, and the other 12 or so releases since November.

I guess my question is, how hard can I expect to lose with the AM codex being as "old" as it is and all these crazy new formations.

I'm running two platoons with autocannons and heavy bolters. Three squads each. The two platoon commanders are riding in vendetta's with their flamethrower buddies. I've got a company command squad with carapace armour and medic in a chimera, accompanying (soaking bullets for) a master of ordnance, and master of fleet. They will be sharing their ride with an ordo hereticus inquisitor rocking some power armour, thunder hammer (in case I gently caress up and they get charged), and psyoculum. Three servo skulls to help prevent getting hit by deep striking alpha strikes.

To round it out, I've got a hydra, because I hate not having air superiority. A basilisk to try and slow people down and keep them in cover.

Then a tank commander in an executioner with plasma cannons. He's accompanied by two vanquishers with hull lascannons and heavy bolters.

The goal is to use the vanquishers to take out armour, while the tank commander splits his fire off and takes on heavy infantry/light armour.
Platoon squads sit tight, or move around as the scenario dictates.
Hydra takes on skimmers and/or Heldrakes (if those are still a thing?)
Basilisk does it's best to pop transports or heavy infantry.
Vendetta's shoot whatever has the best armour that is on the table when they arrive, and drop off platoon command flamers to try and secure/contest objectives.
Command squad shouts orders, tries not to die, and sits in their ride while the Inquisitor makes the MoO incredibly accurate with his strength 9 AP 3 ignores cover large blast template (if anyone tries to run a psyker).

I place the servo skulls and a few bullet catching squads near my armour to minimize the chances of someone deepstriking and nuking them on the first/second turn.

In my previous games, I had basically lost already if my infantry had to do anything other than slow the enemy down with their bodies. So I kept them light, just an AC or HB (three of each) and a flamer for over watch. Not sure if the tank squad will accomplish much - even with five plasma cannon shots I've found cover basically neuters the executioner. And most armies have ways of ignoring anti-tank shooting at vehicles - but I don't want to run the two squad mates as battle tanks because they are too expensive and don't do anything.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Help me, goons. A few buddies want to start 40k (mostly for the gothic-future fluff, nostalgia and beerhammer, at low points so maybe 40-60% of an average tournament list?)), and I'm looking for the following:
- what's currently the best way to get an army on the cheap? Full used armies from 40k-droppers, WIPs/half-assembled stuff, ebay-rescues? Small army size, assume that a commission painter is available but no easy way to strip paint from plastic (stuff recommended in painting thread isn't available locally).
- any alternative rulesets, especially for lower points? I've heard words like kill team, 40k in 40 minutes, etc. but all I know is that some exist. What are good ones to try?
- any comp rules to make lovely factions playable/more balanced?
- what exactly does one need to play the official 40k nowadays, except the basic rulebook, a codex and the usual gaming aids? Scenarios? Objective cards? I've seen people using something like this, are those official and what exactly exists of this kind?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Pierzak posted:

Help me, goons. A few buddies want to start 40k (mostly for the gothic-future fluff, nostalgia and beerhammer, at low points so maybe 40-60% of an average tournament list?)), and I'm looking for the following:
- what's currently the best way to get an army on the cheap? Full used armies from 40k-droppers, WIPs/half-assembled stuff, ebay-rescues? Small army size, assume that a commission painter is available but no easy way to strip paint from plastic (stuff recommended in painting thread isn't available locally).
- any alternative rulesets, especially for lower points? I've heard words like kill team, 40k in 40 minutes, etc. but all I know is that some exist. What are good ones to try?
- what exactly does one need to play the official 40k nowadays, except the basic rulebook, a codex and the usual gaming aids? Scenarios? Objective cards? I've seen people using something like this, are those official and what exactly exists of this kind?

1. Ebay is probably your best bet. If you're REALLY lucky, you'll find them at a swap-meet/second-hand shops for a pittance.

2. Heralds of Ruin Kill Team is great for low-points games, especially campaigns. Good way to get people invested in their tiny plastic hamms. Zone Mortalis is also fun if you have some 1'x1' boards to work with, and the rules are free on FW.

3. Other people will have to recommend this.

4. Dice and rulers and rulebooks is all you REALLY need, honestly, but stuff like psychic/objective cards make it easier to keep track of stuff. They're nice to have but not necessary to play.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Slimnoid pretty well nailed it, but I'll add a couple points to this:

Check craigslist for 40k deals as well. Depending on your local area and how far you're willing to travel (also proximity to other metropolitan areas), I've found my best deals there.

Herals of Ruin's kill team works really well up until around 300 points, which is basically a decked out space marine squad's worth of guys. If you want to get into something closer to a skirmish force, you can use 40k in 40 minutes, or stick with Combined Arms Detachments instead of allowing formations or dataslates. That way everyone needs to conform to the 1HQ/2 Troop base rule for their army. Playing at 850-1250 points was always my favorite games.

You can skip the objective cards if you don't play maelstrom of war missions (which I would recommend against until you and your friends feel like you have a good grasp of the game). Writing out or printing up a couple sheets of paper with your unit lists, wargear and any psychic spells listed is a way of keeping track of what you have without needing to purchase $14 sets of cards.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Buying used armies is the cheapest, especially really unpopular ones that have high point costs. Grey Knights were the beat stick of 5th and 6th but that's faded away, you can probably get loads of old Terminators or Grey Knights on firesale from online acution sites. Be prepared to get familiar with stripping paint and rehabilitating poorly assembled models, but you'll save tons of money. Nurgle Daemons isn't too popular, either, and you can pad out your points with lots of monstrous creatures (which are also terrifically easy to make from scratch or by using generic gross monster toys/models).

Second cheapest would be online retailers like ChaosMailOrder or TheWarStore, they usually have 15% off brand new kits and periodically have as much as 40% off sales.

I used to stay abreast of all the new rules and Codex books, with so many supplements don't bother. Get the rules for your army, acquire any extra rules by whatever means necessary (:filez:).

Your basic equipment is to get the template set, (flamer, blast, large blast) a tape measure, the rulebook, and the Codex for your army. Psychic powers cards and such are totally superfluous (I forget if you can roll dice in place of objective cards or if you must have the cards in order to play).

Competitive? Find a gaming group that isn't full of mouth-breathers and noob-smashers. It's a game, your goal should be to have fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Cheap models? ANYTHING SPACE MARINE. cheap as chips, easy to model, strong on the table, easy to convert to other chapters, lots of cool options, every one has a set to sell, and you can buy AOS box halves for bigger versions.

• Locked thread