Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Nierbo posted:

First Judo class in over a year. I was gassed from the warmup game of dodge ball!

Feels good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
my old judo club did dodgeball warmups and i miss them :smith:

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
My judo club just got featured in a Canadian Tire commercial: https://vimeo.com/133174727 Thought I'd share how much of a hippie my instructor looks.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

willie_dee posted:

Feels good

Yeah it does but super humbling. Embarrassing is another word I'd use. Can't believe how much I remembered though in terms of technique. I did my seio nage uchi komi like I didn't take a day off. Its a much more laid back club here than in Australia for better or for worse.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Theres an MMA class there too which I want to do just to try some judo no gi.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Kuvo posted:

my old judo club did dodgeball warmups and i miss them :smith:

Judo always has the best warmup for some reason. Every different club I've been too had some ridiculous game as a warm up. Everytime I did BJJ it was boring old school warm up

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Our judo club does handball as part of our warm up. It single-handily causes the most training injuries of anything we doing.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How much your bjj club does practice throws/takedowns? I realized I've been a bit prejudiced towards jiu jitsu, I thought a lot of clubs really don't practice that stuff, but after visiting my local club I realized a lot of them can wrestle pretty good. That was a very nice surprise.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

How much your bjj club does practice throws/takedowns?

0%, only stand up we get is the "self defense" stuff, our No-Gi program does stand up 30% of the time in a given month I'd like to say.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

ManOfTheYear posted:

How much your bjj club does practice throws/takedowns?

Close to none of the time, aside from some really half-assed double legs once every couple months in the beginner class. Seems to be a common thing. I now train at a second gym just because they teach a wrestling move every class.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Our bjj does takedowns very rarely as well. The gym has judo, wrestling, and mma classes, so they seem to assume that if you want takedowns you'll go to one of those classes.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

We do a fair bit of standup. If classes are small we'll start our rolling from standing too. It varies from gym to gym, but there are plenty who don't neglect it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We do a little stand up stuff, sometimes under the guise of self defense. In no gi, maybe half of the 1 hour a week we get is dedicated to take downs etc. we also run mma classes separately which include much more take down / TD defense.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I am in a bit of a pickle...

Guys yesterday the BJJ black belt asked if I wanted to participate in a tournament. I shrug and tell hem we'll see and once I get home I googled the tournament.

I am a white belt and the tournament is blue belt and above.

So today I told him of the above fact "I cant participate, its blue belts and above only" He looks at me, smirks and says "I know, do you want to go or not?"

I know I am a dense rear end motherfucker, but I know what his answer implied. So I asked for a week to think about it.

Should I do it?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I've never been to a BJJ gym that didn't drill takedowns every class.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

Guys yesterday the BJJ black belt asked if I wanted to participate in a tournament. I shrug and tell hem we'll see and once I get home I googled the tournament.

So today I told him of the above fact "I cant participate, its blue belts and above only" He looks at me, smirks and says "I know, do you want to go or not?"

I know I am a dense rear end motherfucker, but I know what his answer implied. So I asked for a week to think about it.

Should I do it?

I have no idea your or your coaches level of competency or what have you, but if your coach asks if you want to go and you trust him, he obviously thinks you can go roll with blue belts. So yeah, protect your self and have fun if you want.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I did a month of the white belt classes at Gracie Barra and they definitely didn't do any takedowns except for the self-defense ones.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We do in the advanced (and no gi) classes.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

ManOfTheYear posted:

How much your bjj club does practice throws/takedowns? I realized I've been a bit prejudiced towards jiu jitsu, I thought a lot of clubs really don't practice that stuff, but after visiting my local club I realized a lot of them can wrestle pretty good. That was a very nice surprise.

We do 3 days a week in gi which has zero throws/takedowns and 3 days nogi which is pretty much a wrestling class. Makes sense considering most of the teachers are former collegiate wrestlers lol

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ElMaligno posted:

Should I do it?

Just do it. It sounds like you're going to be promoted.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

ManOfTheYear posted:

In the beginning gi classes, they learn and drill throws during class rarely do live takedowns. In our advanced no gi classes and in certain advanced gi classes we start every single roll from standing so we can all hit takedowns live. We also have separate wrestling and judo classes.

Migz
Apr 27, 2006

Kekekela posted:

Metamoris announced a north american pro "qualifier league" which looks pretty cool. The Tampa events are gonna be at one of our schools (not the one I primarily train at) and we've got a bunch of guys entering, really hope they plan on streaming all the events.

e: looks like the 8 regionals will be streamed but I'm guessing not the 24 qualifiers

What school do you train at in tampa?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

KildarX posted:

I have no idea your or your coaches level of competency or what have you, but if your coach asks if you want to go and you trust him, he obviously thinks you can go roll with blue belts. So yeah, protect your self and have fun if you want.

Xguard86 posted:

Just do it. It sounds like you're going to be promoted.

gently caress it, im doing this poo poo. I just need to cut a couple of pounds in order to be at middle weight division.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Migz posted:

What school do you train at in tampa?

Gracie Tampa, the metamoris stuff is going to be at Gracie Tampa South, Matt Arroyo's (big rear end) gym.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ManOfTheYear posted:

Our fundamentals classes usually has one day a week of takedown stuff and occasional weeks dedicated to takedowns.

Migz
Apr 27, 2006

Kekekela posted:

Gracie Tampa, the metamoris stuff is going to be at Gracie Tampa South, Matt Arroyo's (big rear end) gym.

Ah cool. I was looking for a new gym in the area and that one was too far. Currently training at an MMA/BJJ gym in brandon but looking for more of a traditional school.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Did anyone post this latest steven sagal embarrassment?

http://www.cagepotato.com/martial-arts-fail-of-the-week-steven-seagals-russian-masterclass-is-a-gift-from-above/

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Migz posted:

Ah cool. I was looking for a new gym in the area and that one was too far. Currently training at an MMA/BJJ gym in brandon but looking for more of a traditional school.

We've got a school in Brandon also. Robby Donofrio runs it, he was in ADCC 2013 and is a great instructor. (we also have one in Fishhawk run by heel hook beast Josh Hayden if you're out that way)

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Those skills... so fresh...

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

2DCAT posted:

Those skills... so fresh...

Not as fresh as this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDaU3ZWYAi4

I am going try this at Judo tonight...then get murdered when uki's chi resists mine with a uchi mata.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Not as fresh as this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDaU3ZWYAi4

I am going try this at Judo tonight...then get murdered when uki's chi resists mine with a uchi mata.

My favorite is still Bill Bartolone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA_HIC4n9pA

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Here is an Aikido antidote to Segal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tFI2vOXCgY

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's prettier, but it's still bullshit.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Same poo poo salad with a different dressing.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It's prettier, but it's still bullshit.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Same poo poo salad with a different dressing.

I don't disagree but it is better Aikido and at least has technical merit. Segal is just a fat man walking around bending people's fingers back.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Dysgenesis posted:

I don't disagree but it is better Aikido and at least has technical merit. Segal is just a fat man walking around bending people's fingers back.

Which is so much worse than a guy having people clothesline themselves on his outstretched arm...how, exactly?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I know this thread is very combat sport orientated (I only practice combat sports myself) but once you realise that aikido is not a system for fighting, the fact that it has little effectiveness in a fight becomes less surprising.

The problem arises when you get all the "my techniques ate too dangerous for the ring" bullshit that combat sport people get rightly annoyed.

Aikido is a modern non competitive form of physical exercise which is very relaxing, a good workout and people do it for fun. It still has technical principles and appeals to lots of people, which is why it is so popular. Saying something has no value because it is of no interest to you is the same puerile bullshit you get from the ninja crowd. Most aikido guys I have met are pretty low on the delusion scale. It's no more ridiculous than bjj knife defense or whatever stupid poo poo people put out on YouTube.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I agree with you except to say that a great many aikido people I know believe they are master ninja death machines. Usually they listen to prog rock too for some reason.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Maybe I have been lucky, but as long as people don't try to make it out as something it's not, I'm ok with it. It's about the only system I can think of that tries to subdue an attacker without causing injury. Just for that it has a place in the martial arts canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Dysgenesis posted:

I know this thread is very combat sport orientated (I only practice combat sports myself) but once you realise that aikido is not a system for fighting, the fact that it has little effectiveness in a fight becomes less surprising.

The problem arises when you get all the "my techniques ate too dangerous for the ring" bullshit that combat sport people get rightly annoyed.

Aikido is a modern non competitive form of physical exercise which is very relaxing, a good workout and people do it for fun. It still has technical principles and appeals to lots of people, which is why it is so popular. Saying something has no value because it is of no interest to you is the same puerile bullshit you get from the ninja crowd. Most aikido guys I have met are pretty low on the delusion scale. It's no more ridiculous than bjj knife defense or whatever stupid poo poo people put out on YouTube.

That video is a demonstration of defense techniques against punches and knife attacks. How could you possibly argue in good faith that it doesn't present itself as a system of fighting?

I mean it's not capoeira, it's identical to a judo, sambo, or combatives demo in every way except that the techniques are shittier.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 26, 2015

• Locked thread