Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

cargohills posted:

Todd Howard has been involved in every Elder Scrolls release since Daggerfall.

That's incorrect.

He's been involved in every Elder Scrolls release, including Arena. He just didn't really have anything to do with developing Arena. The reason every Elder Scrolls game has vampires is because he's taunting people about how obvious it is that he's one of the unaging creatures of the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

todd howard wasn't in the same creative position he was in when morrowind was being developed, try again troll.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Dongicus posted:

new vegas proved you could have a non dumbed down "you see that mountain? you can go there!" console rpg
Except you cannot go to that mountain in New Vegas, it is chock full of invisible walls and the overall open world is really bad.

Dongicus posted:

todd howard wasn't involved with Morrowind

Wikipedia posted:

Howard would then become the project leader and designer of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and for the expansions that followed.

uhuh

Dongicus posted:

todd howard wasn't in the same creative position he was in when morrowind was being developed, try again troll.

He was the one behind the whole Martian-Japanese alien setting idea for Morrowind.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

yeah the mountain you go to in newvegas is connected to a bunch of other quests and has an important role in the game. it also has interesting characters and a reason for being there.

whereas fallout 3 has like a skeleton dungeon in it lol

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Bholder posted:

Except you cannot go to that mountain in New Vegas, it is chock full of invisible walls and the overall open world is really bad.

uhuh

He was the one behind the whole Martian-Japanese alien setting idea for Morrowind.

so why hasnt this creative spark of his influenced the later games he's had a hand in?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

T. Ho is singlehandedly going to make Fallout 4 the best User Experience for Players and there's Nothing you can do to stop him.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Are there people that honestly wanted Van Buren instead of Fallout 3?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Dongicus posted:

yeah the mountain you go to in newvegas is connected to a bunch of other quests and has an important role in the game. it also has interesting characters and a reason for being there.

whereas fallout 3 has like a skeleton dungeon in it lol

... and people on that mountain still asks you about Benny and the Platinum chip because you are supposed to get there before you kill him.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

morrowind: cool alien world with a lot of interesting design and thought put in to it

oblivion: hmmm generic europe fantasy? thats a win

fallout 3: hmm over do the 50's theme of the older games and slap a green filter on it? thats a win

fallout 4: hmm i want to suck off troy baker's fully customized shotgun

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dongicus posted:

so why hasnt this creative spark of his influenced the later games he's had a hand in?

"Lets make a game about magic Vikings with shout spells" he said, and then it went on to make a billion and a half dollars.

Pretty good idea, I think.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Bholder posted:

... and people on that mountain still asks you about Benny and the Platinum chip because you are supposed to get there before you kill him.

are you retarded

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

frajaq posted:

Fallout 3 was very bad, so the alternative probably would have been better.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Dongicus posted:

morrowind: cool alien world with a lot of interesting design and thought put in to it

oblivion: hmmm generic europe fantasy? thats a win

fallout 3: hmm over do the 50's theme of the older games and slap a green filter on it? thats a win

fallout 4: hmm i want to suck off troy baker's fully customized shotgun

I know Morrowind holds a special place for you because you played it before your parents divorced, but would you kindly get over your nostalgia and understand what "unique" means?

Basically:

Dongicus posted:

are you retarded

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Also we had cool Morrowind things in that Skyrim DLC!

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Will there be other voiced options for the main character? If not then can I turn off the main character's voice without turning off the other voices?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Fibby Boy posted:

Will there be other voiced options for the main character? If not then can I turn off the main character's voice without turning off the other voices?

No.

We don't know that yet.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Just find the voice files and switch it to silent ones.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

that bholder dude has some sort of mental defect right?

its fine if you like fallout 4 but if you're going off your nut aggressively defending it then wow, that's some serious depression right there

Bholder posted:

I know Morrowind holds a special place for you because you played it before your parents divorced, but would you kindly get over your nostalgia and understand what "unique" means?

wtf even is this come on dude lmfao

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

well most of his recent posts are in this thread and the gamergate one so there u go :-p

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

frajaq posted:

Yeah, and we got it. New Vegas is Van Buren with a coat of paint.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I think the fully voiced player character is a great thing and the times of silent protagonists are kind of outdated and boring.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Bholder posted:

Just find the voice files and switch it to silent ones.

It's dumb that I would even have to do that.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
This game won't be as good as new vegas.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

It'll be pretty bad.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Dongicus posted:

well most of his recent posts are in this thread and the gamergate one so there u go :-p

You read the gamergate thread?

Gross.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, and we got it. New Vegas is Van Buren with a coat of paint.

Oh I meant more in the boring turn-based thingie than a cool skyrim-like gameplay

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You know, I think if Obsidian would announce that they would make a game with a voiced protagonist people would applaud them how it would enhance the story and make the main character more attached to the world.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Gross.

He probably posted there more than I did.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Boogaleeboo posted:

Gross.

you can click `post history` with the Something Awful Platinum Upgrade

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Bholder posted:

You know, I think if Obsidian would announce that they would make a game with a voiced protagonist people would applaud them how it would enhance the story and make the main character more attached to the world.

It was called Alpha Protocol, and it had a button based conversation system like Fallout 4, and people applauded how it enhanced the story and made the main character stand out.

Dongicus posted:

you can click `post history` with the Something Awful Platinum Upgrade

That's worse, that means you actually care about another human being.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Bholder posted:

Actually I would hate it just as much as I hate it now.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Boogaleeboo posted:

It was called Alpha Protocol, and it had a button based conversation system like Fallout 4, and people applauded how it enhanced the story and made the main character stand out.

That's worse, that means you actually care about another human being.

yes alpha protocol is a good example of how to do a dialogue wheel and a voiced (autistic) main character. its a shame that its gameplay is really bad so it doesnt hold up well.

your dialogue choices affected the story and your character in interesting ways other than -500 karma for doing a renegade interrupt

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Alpha protocol is a bad comparison because wasn't open world and you can only ever play it as Mike Thorton, International Spy. Also because any 'choice' was just an illusion leading you down the one true narrative, Best Bros with Heck.

EDIT: Actually, railroading you story - wise would make AP pretty comparable to Bethesda games.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I am angry at video game casuals.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Bholder posted:

No.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ilustforponydeath posted:

It's going to be AIDS but I'll play the mod that remakes New Vegas in the new engine.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dongicus posted:

its super gay how they looked at the incredible quest design of the last game and thought "man u know what would be cool? friggen gun customization and the mass effect dialogue wheel voiced by Troy Baker"

all my money le todd howard!!
Troy Baker is a national treasure you take that back and buy his music album :colbert:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Fallout 4 is almost certainly going to be good and quite a lot of fun.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

achillesforever6 posted:

Troy Baker is a national treasure you take that back and buy his music album :colbert:

I just listened to a couple of his songs on Spotify.

He'd have to pay me.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dongicus posted:

todd howard wasn't involved with Morrowind

If T. Howard wasn't involved with Morrowind then how could Bethesda have found the inspiration to create a false vampire-prophet dwelling deep inside the Hell that is the product of some long-lost greater peoples? How could they have determined the proper proportions of his pale, wiry frame? And how would they have known to make him a silver-tongued ghoul who crawls out of a hole in the ground once every eon so that he might plague the unwary with lies and deceit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
That one guy in this thread who hates Morrowind deeply disappoints me on many levels.

• Locked thread