Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

saint gerald posted:

I've been wanting to try X-Com. Anything in particular you might want to trade? I have $$$ too.

Not really sure, here's my wishlist currently... https://boardgamegeek.com/wishlist/qnoisx. Most of those I have not actually played. Mostly games I would like to play that my group doesn't already own. Some I'm hopefully going to try out at Gencon! I have played Castles, but don't own it or have access to a copy in the group. My cousin has Trains, but not the Rising Sun expansion. That's why I have both on there, but if I got Rising Sun, I might trade for his copy of the base game...or the other way around.

Oh, also would consider trading my copy of Galaxy Defenders. I like it, but my group doesn't. They think it's too hard.

I do actually own Argent, but haven't gotten to play it yet and wouldn't really be able to teach it to a group in a timely fashion. Also I was dumb and sleeved the cards before I noticed that the insert is terrible and can't fit everything in the box now. I need to either make a new insert or just toss it and bag up everything. Yes, I know you can buy a ready made insert... I'd rather get the expansion with that kind of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Haystack posted:

I finally found the link to all of the convention maps (here), so it's as good a time as any to remind people attending events that

:siren:The Marriott and the JW Marriott are two completely different buildings:siren:

JW Marriott = Big Blue Curved Glass Brick
Marriott = Generic Looking Hotel

Don't be a chump like Two Years Ago Haystack and get lost in the wrong building.

I don't think it applies to events. But there's totally two Courtyard Mariotts in downtown. Make sure you walk to the right one when you get off your bus to check in.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Haystack posted:

I finally found the link to all of the convention maps (here), so it's as good a time as any to remind people attending events that

:siren:The Marriott and the JW Marriott are two completely different buildings:siren:

Don't be a chump like Two Years Ago Haystack and get lost in the wrong building.

Thanks. That's good to know, I have events at both.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Haystack posted:

I've made this mistake at least once.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I had no idea there were two Courtyard Marriotts. Jeeze. That really is a good reminder. ON THE AGENDA FOR NEXT YEAR actually if anything I need to super-streamline the opening posts. Really I need beautiful graphics. Just a single picture of a feather. But a feather wearing a fedora. Fethora. Pledge $250 to Fethora's Kickstarter and get your own feather-light fedora prototype!

Is anyone actually coming in on mass transit from far away per our long-forgotten discussions in the chat thread? I freely admit I Betrayed Shiva by deciding to drive after all. But if anyone needs anything that is only available along Interstate 90, let me know by tomorrow

"I LEFT MY WISDOM AT THE BEGINNING OF THE OHIO TURNPIKE" yes, friend. We have all made this mistake. And yet we make it again and again. Look, I really want to pay like $30 for the right to get where I am going a half hour earlier.

This reminds me of when my supervisor said today "unfortunately, being interesting is never going to be an asset for your job." The joke is on her; I have not been interesting since 1997 ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NINt6XVppY

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Len posted:

I don't think it applies to events. But there's totally two Courtyard Mariotts in downtown. Make sure you walk to the right one when you get off your bus to check in.

Oh, that's only once facet to the Marriott® kaleidoscope.

A complete accounting of notable downtown Indianapolis Marriotts®

First, there is the "Indianapolis Marriott® Downtown" (AKA "The Marriott"), which is a large standalone hotel directly south across the street from the convention center. It hosts Gencon events, and is easy to mix up with the JW Marriott®.

Then there is the "Marriott® Place Indianapolis," which is the large building complex... thing ... kitty-corner southeast with the convention center. This mighty complex contains the "JW Marriot®," the "Courtyard by Marriott® Downtown Indianapolis", and two other hotels that I will not document because they do not have Marriott® in their names.

The JW Marriott® is the aforementioned Big Curved Blue Glass Brick, and also hosts events. It's easy to mix up with the vanilla Marriott®, what with the name only having the two extra letters tacked onto the front.

The Courtyard by Marriott® Downtown Indianapolis is merely a skywalk connected hotel. I think you usually have to walk through the JW Marriott® to get to it.

The Courtyard by Marriott® Downtown Indianapolis should not be mistaken for the "Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol," despite both being owned and operated by Marriott®. The Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol is about half a mile's easy (albeit not skywalk connected) walk north of the convention center.

This post has been brought to you by Marriott®. We hope this has cleared up any possible confusions.

Marriott: Embrace Misdirection™

Haystack fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 24, 2015

Project2501
Dec 29, 2012

Contains no milk
So many Marriotts, most of which are connected! Hence why we always fight for the big blue glass one. Easy to spot, and it's got a pretty decent bar.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Sadly we couldn't get a room at any of them and are at the Courtyard Marriott near the airport (or so I am told)

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Haystack posted:

The Courtyard by Marriott® Downtown Indianapolis is merely a skywalk connected hotel. I think you usually have to walk through the JW Marriott® to get to it.

I can confirm this. Any skywalk trip requires you to go through the JW Marriot and take 2 elevators.

Quarex posted:

Interstate 90

Considering that I live at the end of 90, I'll fly, thanks.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Pez posted:

Sadly we couldn't get a room at any of them and are at the Courtyard Marriott near the airport (or so I am told)

Thankfully getting stuck out at the airport isn't the curse it used to be. Between the shuttle, Uber/Lyft, and just the number of people that are now out at those hotels getting a ride in and out each day isn't the hassle it used to be.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey, Gen Con attendees! I wrote a Breakfast Cult adventure for Gen Con on request, and I'm wondering if anyone else would like to run it. It's Fate Accelerated if that matters. :buddy:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I would not.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I also own Argent and want to play it so I'll bring my copy and I'll make sure to study up and be ready to teach!!!

(this will end poorly)

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Deathlove posted:

I also own Argent and want to play it so I'll bring my copy and I'll make sure to study up and be ready to teach!!!

(this will end poorly)

I do not know what Argent is but thanks to this thread I want to play it so perhaps you can teach me

Project2501
Dec 29, 2012

Contains no milk
Anyone play the X-Wing mini games? I wasn't fast enough to get into the tournament, but I'll still be bringing my fleet of anyone wants to play pretend spaceships.

Project2501 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 24, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Haystack posted:

Additional useful maps can be found at the Visit Indy page (click the map tab) for things like parking and restaurants.

Project2501 posted:

Anyone play the X-Wing mini games? I wasn't fast enough to get into the tournament, but I'll still be bringing my fleet of anyone want's to play pretend spaceships.

I have X-Wing (base, falcon & mat), and Armada arrives tomorrow. I'll bring them (guess I will be bringing two suitcases) but have only played like 2-3 times total so probably will be rereading the rules this weekend. Also, you'll probably win.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ettin posted:

Hey, Gen Con attendees! I wrote a Breakfast Cult adventure for Gen Con on request, and I'm wondering if anyone else would like to run it. It's Fate Accelerated if that matters. :buddy:

I could run it but I'm already running 3 ticketed games. Can I just run a pick up goon game for free*?

*Nothing is ever free with goons.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Deathlove posted:

(this will end poorly)

Sure, I'm game.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

Project2501 posted:

Anyone play the X-Wing mini games? I wasn't fast enough to get into the tournament, but I'll still be bringing my fleet of anyone wants to play pretend spaceships.

I don't, but my nongoon friend does.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I could run it but I'm already running 3 ticketed games. Can I just run a pick up goon game for free*?

*Nothing is ever free with goons.

I'd be in. I could bring my girlfriend and probably two others.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Admin Understudy posted:

Count me in. I plan on meeting up with you for a game or two, nice collection! Indonesia is the main Splotter I have yet to play so I'd love to try that one. I'm happy to join in for R&B or Antiquity as well. Napoleons Triumph is another I've never had the opportunity to try, if you have any interest.

Although your rating of Romolo y Remo at an 8 has me a bit worried. After 2 games I'm done with that one and will likely never play it again.

Funny, I totally forgot to lower that I suppose--I'm going to bring it to GenCon to auction off....

I can bring the Splotters, Argent*, Archipelago, and NT. I also feel the need to bring Container and Die Macher (Container is almost good enough to be worth half its OOP value).

There was supposed whisperings of wanting to play High Frontier as well....

*Unless someone else is bring the Mancer's expansion with them; in which case there seems to be enough Argent boxes floating around....

Trynant fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 24, 2015

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
As a local I have access to my entire collection, just need to know what people want to play.

Chaosmos
Alien Frontiers
Agents of Smersh

Those are the 3 that I own that most people haven't played/are interested in checking out.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Trynant posted:

Funny, I totally forgot to lower that I suppose--I'm going to bring it to GenCon to auction off....

I can bring the Splotters, Argent*, Archipelago, and NT. I also feel the need to bring Container and Die Macher (Container is almost good enough to be worth half its OOP value).

There was supposed whisperings of wanting to play High Frontier as well....

*Unless someone else is bring the Mancer's expansion with them; in which case there seems to be enough Argent boxes floating around....

I can bring Argent w/Mancers.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Inquiry

Do you:

-Like MtG
-Like Legacy
-Don't care about Tourney-legal cards

PM Me.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Sweet, where do we sign up for your play group? :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

QnoisX posted:

Sweet, where do we sign up for your play group? :)

I just looked up what Argent is and I'd like to know the answer to this question too.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Len posted:

I just looked up what Argent is and I'd like to know the answer to this question too.

Same here. I never heard of this game before, but now I definitely want to play. My buddy and I would be in for a goon game.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I only scheduled a couple events a day, and I'll be free all nights probably in the game library. Maybe we hash out some "official" times this weekend.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Sure, if you want! I'll send you the thing :getin:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I just posted RPPR's Gen Con show: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2015/07/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-117-slouching-towards-gen-con-2015/

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Crackbone posted:

I only scheduled a couple events a day, and I'll be free all nights probably in the game library. Maybe we hash out some "official" times this weekend.

Nights are probably my worst time fwiw, I'll probably need to be done playing any given thing by midnight for carpool reasons. But earlier in the evening will generally work, and most of my friends will be busy with card stuff on saturday.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

Backno posted:

As a local I have access to my entire collection, just need to know what people want to play.

Chaosmos
Alien Frontiers
Agents of Smersh

Those are the 3 that I own that most people haven't played/are interested in checking out.
Though I don't remember what you daid about Agents of Smersh, I do remember it sounding interesting.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ettin posted:

Sure, if you want! I'll send you the thing :getin:

Not only am I enthusiastic about running Breakfast Cult, I'm also a backer!

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Crackbone posted:

cool; that means I can pack even more random games :getin:

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

So how are people transporting games during the con? Just carry them around all day in a backpack or is there somewhere you can drop things off that will be there when you return? Sorry, first time to go to Gencon and not exactly sure how far our hotel will be from the con. Dungeon Lords is another game I'd like to play, but the box is pretty huge.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

QnoisX posted:

So how are people transporting games during the con? Just carry them around all day in a backpack or is there somewhere you can drop things off that will be there when you return? Sorry, first time to go to Gencon and not exactly sure how far our hotel will be from the con. Dungeon Lords is another game I'd like to play, but the box is pretty huge.

I reserved a parking spot about five blocks from the convention center. I'll carry one or two games around in a tote or messenger bag, but I plan on my car being my locker.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Is there info regarding this? I planned on my car being a locker too but was leaning on just getting there early for parking. How dire is the parking situation? Our hotel is across town a ways.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Carteret posted:

Is there info regarding this? I planned on my car being a locker too but was leaning on just getting there early for parking. How dire is the parking situation? Our hotel is across town a ways.

I used this. It seems cheaper than hunting for parking, which I assume costs quite a bit. And it is one less thing to worry about.

But this is my first GenCon, so I dunno how bad it really is. I'm just basing it on other conventions I've been to.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
You can park at the stadium for like $5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008
loving Pumped! The Goons doing any gatherings?

• Locked thread