Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yeah the follow up is genuinely better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I mean after hearing all of the setup it's no wonder marc was completely overwhelmed. Having your house full of loving tents/snipers etc and secret service breathing down your neck in the room.

He did well under the circumstances.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
The followup was fantastic. I had no idea that much preparation went into a 1 hour interview with the president.

I am now fascinated by the presidential yoga mat.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Knucklebear posted:

The followup was fantastic. I had no idea that much preparation went into a 1 hour interview with the president.

I am now fascinated by the presidential yoga mat.

Yeah, what was that?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah, what was that?

probably some sort of bulletproof thing

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Brendan the producer doing his Marc impression is hilarious.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pocket Billiards posted:

Brendan the producer doing his Marc impression is hilarious.

Brendan nailed it perfectly. Then again he has worked with Marc for years

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Rich Vos.

Is this going to be 1 hour of addiction talk or Vos spouting his lovely opinions?

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Neither

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

Pocket Billiards posted:

Rich Vos.

Is this going to be 1 hour of addiction talk or Vos spouting his lovely opinions?

Rich Vos's spittle ridden mush mouth made that interview unlistenable.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I liked the Laura Jane Grace interview. I especially enjoyed how she (playfully) made fun of Marc's "old man" comments/confusions around trans people.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I was excited when I saw the tweet saying she was yesterday's guest. Was a solid episode.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I really like the guests that Marc has been featuring in the post-Obama world

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Berzerker posted:

I liked the Laura Jane Grace interview. I especially enjoyed how she (playfully) made fun of Marc's "old man" comments/confusions around trans people.

I've only started listening to that episode, haven't hit the interview yet. Marc's intro to it is getting painful.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

You made the mistake of listening to the intro, a thing I stopped doing 1+ years ago

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If you guys are interested. Marc is on Duncan trussell's podcast. They have a brief start with duncan's normal stuff then the rest of interview is all about the obama episode. If you enjoyed the post mortem I would;d recommend this also. As with marc you should skip duncan's intro (go to about 15 mins).

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Jippa posted:

If you guys are interested. Marc is on Duncan trussell's podcast. They have a brief start with duncan's normal stuff then the rest of interview is all about the obama episode. If you enjoyed the post mortem I would;d recommend this also. As with marc you should skip duncan's intro (go to about 15 mins).

That was a good talk, but Duncan seems a little...nuts.

Marc was able to reason his way out of some of the weirder things like him being obsessed about killing kids, but ugh it wasn't pretty.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Willeh posted:

That was a good talk, but Duncan seems a little...nuts.

Marc was able to reason his way out of some of the weirder things like him being obsessed about killing kids, but ugh it wasn't pretty.

Duncan can be a bit nuts but he is also quite self aware. I agree though he does talk a lot of poo poo. He can be pretty funny though.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
Duncan on Rogan's #666 podcast was great. He's straddles the line between pseudo-science and spirituality very comfortably. He's a great linguist. Some of the openings of his podcasts are the funniest things I've heard.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The Ian Mckellan interview was fine and he opened up a lot more when he realised what type of interview he was doing, but that moment of Shakespeare at the end was great.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah I really liked it. It made me pumped to see Mr. Holmes, but I'll have to drive 45 minutes to see it and I'm not sure it's worth it

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DrVenkman posted:

The Ian Mckellan interview was fine and he opened up a lot more when he realised what type of interview he was doing, but that moment of Shakespeare at the end was great.

Edit: Never mind, apparently my download cut out a couple of minutes.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 21, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Wyatt Cynac interview kind of hosed me up. I'm going to have to think about it for a while.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Ya. That's going to cause a bit of a poo poo storm during Stewart's last two weeks. Nicely timed.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Somebody want to post the tldr version for those of us who didn't listen?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
http://www.salon.com/2015/07/23/wya...ged_impression/

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Quite honestly the Daily Show portion was only a piece of the overall poo poo pie Wyatt Cynac has had to eat and it was just a taxing episode to listen to all around.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
What's wrong with Gen Y when they think they can say whatever they want to their bosses and call their bosses names and not get fired? Stewart showed a lot of restraint because if that jackass came up to me and called me a racist I would have thrown him out on the street without a second thought.

Wyatt Cynac is an ungrateful piece of poo poo.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Saying something is racist isn't really calling someone a name though? Especially when it's not even a private racist thing but televised and your boss's job performance sort of depends on how likeable he is. Also being called out on doing something racist is in fact not worse than doing something racist

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

quote:

Following the incident, Stewart apparently apologized for the blow-up, but it seemed all too little, too late. Cenac said he had to step out that day because he was so devastated.

“I was shaking, and I just sat there by myself on the bleachers and loving cried. And it’s a sad thing. That’s how I feel. That’s how I feel in this job. I feel alone.”

lmao

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

What's wrong with Gen Y when they think they can say whatever they want to their bosses and call their bosses names and not get fired? Stewart showed a lot of restraint because if that jackass came up to me and called me a racist I would have thrown him out on the street without a second thought.

Wyatt Cynac is an ungrateful piece of poo poo.

Wyatt's Gen X.

He didn't call Stewart racist. He felt uncomfortable about a bit Stewart was doing and spoke up. He was the only black person on the show at the time. I saw the clip in question and voice barley registered as "black" to me ... but I'm white and I'm not clued into a lot of more subtle racial things because I don't deal with it constantly like minorities do. If I were Stewart, I'd want to know that the sole black person working on my show, who knows I'm not a racist, still felt uncomfortable with it.

That said, Stewart's reaction is somewhat understandable. Dude has a stressful job, is constantly getting poo poo from all sides, and he hit a breaking point.

Also, I agree with others who have said this is part of a larger thing in Cenac's life. Dude has some emotional issues for sure. I'm sure he's not the only person in the writer's room to ever get in a shouting match with Stewart over the course of the show's run, but he might be the only person who was utterly emotionally destroyed by it.

edit: seriously Irish Joe your post is really loving dumb

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Saying something is racist isn't really calling someone a name though? Especially when it's not even a private racist thing but televised and your boss's job performance sort of depends on how likeable he is. Also being called out on doing something racist is in fact not worse than doing something racist

Cynac said it was racist and Stewart disagreed. Its at that point that he should have dropped it. Instead, he loving hounded Stewart to the point where Stewart had to tell him to "gently caress off." Here's the thing: when your boss tells you to drop something, you drop it. He makes the decisions, he gives the orders, and you follow. If you can't handle that, then you shouldn't be loving working there. Cynac is a giant baby who threw a temper tantrum (that included name calling) because he didn't get his way, and the fact that he's now going around telling this story as if Stewart did something wrong is just more evidence that Stewart was completely in the right for telling him to "gently caress off."

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Cynac said it was racist and Stewart disagreed. Its at that point that he should have dropped it. Instead, he loving hounded Stewart to the point where Stewart had to tell him to "gently caress off." Here's the thing: when your boss tells you to drop something, you drop it. He makes the decisions, he gives the orders, and you follow. If you can't handle that, then you shouldn't be loving working there. Cynac is a giant baby who threw a temper tantrum (that included name calling) because he didn't get his way, and the fact that he's now going around telling this story as if Stewart did something wrong is just more evidence that Stewart was completely in the right for telling him to "gently caress off."

You sound like a pussy

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Puppy Galaxy posted:

edit: seriously Irish Joe your post is really loving dumb

Irish Joe is an idiot and is best ignored if you can't handle being trolled, much like Taint Reaper.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Also, I agree with others who have said this is part of a larger thing in Cenac's life. Dude has some emotional issues for sure. I'm sure he's not the only person in the writer's room to ever get in a shouting match with Stewart over the course of the show's run, but he might be the only person who was utterly emotionally destroyed by it.

Really though it started off saying John Stewart was a bad boss, and it's true. As a boss you shouldn't fly off the handle for your employee speaking up, scream that you're fired then be hesitant to apologize. That's horrific management. Even if you consider Cenac in the wrong, you can't lose it like that on someone that works for you for all of these reasons. There's probably a lot missing from the story, but no, unacceptable.

Also I think the best way to describe why Cenac is uncomfortable is that John isn't doing an impression of Herman Cain, he's doing an impression of a black guy that kind of sounds like Herman Cain, which is Kingfish territory. He just ended up being to racially sensitive at the wrong time. It's not like the daily show was a progressive show, in fact it's extremely insensitive to LBGT, race, and women to start off with for a huge amount of time. I think he was just ahead of his time and paid a price for it.

Also yeah that life was lovely on top of it, and really explained some black culture in finding meaning in mentors outside of your parental structure, rampant violence and insecurity, and conflicting thoughts of what it is to be and to sound black.I don't think very many black people want to be the beacon and speak up for racial rights, but we just sorta.... have to sometimes. I get that. Sadly I got this episode more than the Obama one.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Drunkboxer posted:

You sound like a pussy

Yeah, but I still have a career because I know how to keep my mouth shut. Who's going to hire Cenac now that they know he'll air his dirty laundry on podcasts every time he doesn't get his way? It reminds me of the woman who threw a temper tantrum on twitter because Aaron Sorkin shot down her ideas for The Newsroom. Since that show ended, she has spent the last 18 months.. well, doing nothing because no one wants to hire an argumentative, caustic and unprofessional employee.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Somebody should have called Sorkin out on his bullshit because that show got so incoherent and cheesy it was completely unwatchable nonsense. I'd hire that woman in a heartbeat if I were in show biz.

Liked the Cenac interview a lot, do listen.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
So can this interview be at least partially taken as Marc pissing on the ashes of the bridge he burned with Stewart as Stewart enters the home stretch of a career to which Marc once aspired?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but I still have a career because I know how to keep my mouth shut. Who's going to hire Cenac now that they know he'll air his dirty laundry on podcasts every time he doesn't get his way? It reminds me of the woman who threw a temper tantrum on twitter because Aaron Sorkin shot down her ideas for The Newsroom. Since that show ended, she has spent the last 18 months.. well, doing nothing because no one wants to hire an argumentative, caustic and unprofessional employee.

Megan Fox called Michael Bay "Hitler" and she's back in his movies again. In Capitalism, it doesn't matter what you say, so long as you can make someone lots of money.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

I think that speaks more about Hollywood's institutionalized racism and sexism that is so is so ingrained that even mentioning it, like the actress from two weeks ago who auditioned for Sandler's latest movie, got her dropped by her agent.

Also, you think a 40 year old man is a Millenial. Good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I think that speaks more about Hollywood's institutionalized racism and sexism that is so is so ingrained that even mentioning it, like the actress from two weeks ago who auditioned for Sandler's latest movie, got her dropped by her agent.

Like Cenac, McGowan was behaving unprofessionally. She started trashing a script she turned down on a public forum. The consequence is that she won't get any more scripts from producers (meaning she's doesn't bring in any income for her agent) and the agent also takes flak because she represents McGowan. So the agent has a choice: drop McGowan and save herself from being dragged down by McGowan's unprofessionalism, or stand by McGowan who will never be hired again because...?

In short, the agent did the right thing, and though you're crying "sexism :qq:" the evidence clearly shows that McGowan's behavior is 100% responsible for her getting dropped.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 24, 2015

• Locked thread