Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
:laffo: Bring 'Em Young University

Kind of fitting, though, since Joseph Smith married a 14 year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Croatoan posted:

The Jennifer haters are the goony as gently caress ones.

nah this is never gonna fly sorry.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

It's okay, you're among friends, embrace your goon. Hate the random stranger on a TV game show.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol

the show is about trivia. I aint watched an interview since the advent of dvr and it's weird as hell that anyone likes if the contestants are goofy or obvnoxious or whatever (peeps I'm responding to deserve that emote ya loon).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol

the show is about trivia. I aint watched an interview since the advent of dvr and it's weird as hell that anyone likes if the contestants are goofy or obvnoxious or whatever (peeps I'm responding to deserve that emote ya loon).

Today there was a person who thought collecting snow globes was the most interesting thing she could say about herself

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
It's a trivia show effected by the contestants personalities, theres no right or wrong here unless you don't miss the effect Jennifer's personality had on Alex.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

zVxTeflon posted:

Today there was a person who thought collecting snow globes was the most interesting thing she could say about herself

This is why I would suck on Jeopardy. I don't have any really interesting stories to tell.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

zVxTeflon posted:

To be fair, that was Alex's choice of most interesting story from her, not hers. The other five must have been worse :catstare:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Fuschia tude posted:

To be fair, that was Alex's choice of most interesting story from her, not hers. The other five must have been worse :catstare:

Actually, in the Green Room, the Contestant Coordinators go over the three stories they picked from the five prompts plus 20+ background questions they ask you to fill out when you submit your paperwork prior to going on the show that they put on the card with all your info on it that goes to Alex during the interview portion. You get to tell Robert (who was the Contestant Coordinator who went over them with me) which of the three is your preference for Alex to talk about during that segment, although they stress that it is his decision to make which of the prompts he asks you about. Still, he usually goes for the one you indicate you wanna talk about first, so this lady did somehow think that snow globes was the most interesting thing she could talk about...

Colonial Air Force posted:

:laffo: Bring 'Em Young University

Kind of fitting, though, since Joseph Smith married a 14 year old.

Guess that's why Scott just wrote BYU instead. Got that one off a wild rear end guess, since that was the only major university in the West off the top of my head that referenced some sort of important religious figure. Guess he didn't want to get burned like when he answered Sharpova, dropping the second "a" in the second syllable, and changing the pronunciation of her name. Was sure they were gonna change that after they got back from commercial, since it sounded wrong to me and my captioning had the answer italicized when Scott said it, which they never do for answers, if they're correctly rules right or wrong. This one was an anomaly, so I guess they needed to draw attention to it somehow or something like that...

Anywho, Scott's on a pretty big roll right now. Good for him!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 24, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah I said "BYU" for the same reasons, and I would've written "BYU" because it's faster to write.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zVxTeflon posted:

think about how Ken Jennings had to do it 75 times.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Groovelord Neato posted:

think about how Ken Jennings had to do it 75 times.

According to his book he just started making stuff up after awhile.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Colonial Air Force posted:

That's certainly what I'd gathered.

good lord

Croatoan posted:

Wait, do you guys just not like jews?

I have no opinion on Jennifer and this is the dumbest thing ever

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I'm surprised that both challengers missed Iceland... I guess the safe $1000 bet pays off for Scott. Might've been a good chance to dethrone Scott, but looks like he's gonna be going to the ToC. He started out slow, and both of the challengers had a chance to take it going into Final, what with those scores, but both of them miffed Final, so that's that...

My cousin did the week long layover in Reykjavik a couple months back, and told me it was amazing. Guess I'll just have to live vicariously through him...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How did two of them answer Belgium on that.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Welp, the comments from the peanut gallery on the Jeopardy Facebook page are blowing up again over Scott being credited with a correct response to tonight's Final Jeopardy question... I can see where some of them are coming from (as he put an incorrect name for the airline, instead of the country in question), but a whole lot of people are just being ridiculous and letting the world know of their ignorance. People there were already complaining about yesterday's Final Jeopardy question (and penalizing a challenger for adding an "n" to the middle of Brigham Young, while Scott just used BYU instead), and this just poured more gasoline to the fire of the complainers... And I thought that Scott beating Jennifer would end all the comments on that page, since a lot of people there disliked her dancing. Guess I was just hoping too much... Ugh, people take things way too seriously and think they can affect something that taped over 3 months ago or something...

Guess I'm glad I stopped reading those comments as closely after the whole Justice Anthony Kennedy gay marriage celebratory clue on their page and people attacking the show over them posting and celebrating it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is kind of dumb someone gets it wrong for adding an extra n (I know people that even say it like it has an N in it) and then it asks for country and he names an airline and even gets that wrong. he still woulda won though.

And it's nowhere near as bad as somehow putting Belgium for the answer what the gently caress.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
Not sure if anyone watches the Saturday morning reruns, but it was awkward.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Groovelord Neato posted:

It is kind of dumb someone gets it wrong for adding an extra n (I know people that even say it like it has an N in it) and then it asks for country and he names an airline and even gets that wrong. he still woulda won though.

And it's nowhere near as bad as somehow putting Belgium for the answer what the gently caress.

Well, the question did name Brussels as the destination...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Fuschia tude posted:

Well, the question did name Brussels as the destination...

Except it said there's a 7-day layover. You can't really have a layover at your destination, can you?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yo if you like smug douchebags like Scott more than you like a funny dork like Jennifer then you can just go take a hike.

Scott "My wife paid over 50,000 dollars to fly 30 of my friends to an Italian castle and serenaded me for my birthday" McHumblebragDoucheIdiot

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He's awful too don't get me wrong (any sane person doesn't watch the interviews so i got no idea what you're talking about i just hate people that hold out the buzzer and loudly click it) he also got final jeopardy wrong but they gave it to him which is shameful poo poo though they've done that before http://fikklefame.com/final-jeopardy-11-7-14/

She aint funny tho.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Were I a judge I would not have given it to him, but it really doesn't matter if he was wrong or not, he still would have won. If Jeopardy! wants to give him extra cash, that's on them.

E: And I know I said this already, basically, but literally any country other than Belgium would have been more correct than what the other two said.

Hell, even the moon would make more sense.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 27, 2015

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Heartbreaking FJ today. Speaking of spelling/syllables.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I feel like making the answer Scheherazade was just cruel

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How does that guy miss two gimme daily doubles and then get the final.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Okay, the re-recording of Alex' voice was weird.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I was looking forward to hearing Alex's gruff sexy voice for once.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Mister Kingdom posted:

Okay, the re-recording of Alex' voice was weird.

not just that but the fact that they only cut to him maybe a third as often as usual

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
What happened?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Riptor posted:

not just that but the fact that they only cut to him maybe a third as often as usual

Probably edited that way to lessen the visibility of the fact he had to dub himself.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Riptor posted:

Yeah, I noticed that as well. During the first commercial break, they cut to a shot of the contestant guest seating area instead of Alex. Also, a summer cold? This episode was likely taped in Late April/early May, so I guess it was a spring cold instead, but they need to keep up the illusion that episodes are recorded once a day. The dubbing was still kinda weird though, especially when it suddenly seemed to get louder sometimes as he said a new line or when his voice seemed to from scratchy to normal and back during the contestant interview segments, and right before they had that caption saying that Alex rerecorded his voiceovers this episode.

Spelling in Final bites Scott big this time after a couple of calls that went his way in Final last week. I think I would've made the same mistake with the omitted syllable as well; Scheherazade is kinda tough to spell, and when I tried to write it off the top of my head, I did get it wrong in the same way, writing Scherazade. Welp, he'll be back for the ToC at least, and a little over $100k is not a bad payday for a day's worth of taping... Might've continued on if he had spelled the Final answer right, but I guess Suzanne was lucky that he didn't. She ran Double Jeopardy, I don't think Scott was able to get a word in edgewise that round. The other challenger missing both Daily Doubles that round also hurt him quite a bit there, eh might've made it a closer game if that hadn't happened, and it was a shame it turned out that way. He looked defeated going into Final...

Speaking of the new champ, was it just my TV or does she have blue hair?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 28, 2015

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Speaking of the new champ, was it just my TV or does she have blue hair?
Looked blue to me.

I turned on the episode late and honestly didn't notice the redub. I just thought there was a few abrupt transitions.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

GhostStalker posted:

Also, a summer cold? This episode was likely taped in Late April/early May, so I guess it was a spring cold instead, but they need to keep up the illusion that episodes are recorded once a day.

Gotta keep kayfabe, brother.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Gotta keep kayfabe, brother.

Yup, I get that. Sometimes they do a piss poor job of it though.

And since the show is syndicated and has stated a couple times before that the episodes are taped 5 to a day on its Facebook page, along with all the former contestants who can tell people how the show tapes, I would imagine that most people who watch the show know that the episodes are done ahead of time. The whole after dubbing thing they did with Alex Trebek today would clue some other people who weren't aware in as well.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Perfidus posted:

What happened?

Alex was mugged before this taping and got punched in the throat. His attackers were angry about his lack of a mustache.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Well, uh, that sure was some Final Jeopardy betting today, by golly.

Why would you bet everything if you're in the lead???

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

zakharov posted:

Where could I watch today's episode? Jennifer is a friend of mine and I missed tonight's broadcast. I got its time mixed up with Wheel of Fortune in our region.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Svanja posted:

Where could I watch today's episode? Jennifer is a friend of mine and I missed tonight's broadcast. I got its time mixed up with Wheel of Fortune in our region.

I was rooting for Jennifer!

You're in luck, someone put it on Youtube. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

zakharov posted:

I think he wanted to make sure he could beat the others if everyone got it right.

As it is, the champion could end up with less money than the second place winner overall.