Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Stormgale posted:

Yes. He was the provider goons that snatched up Nikki and stashed her wherever she is and then went for Jackson.

Which makes it even dumber for Aiden to kill him when (despite what Damien says) Racine might have SOME idea where Nikki is (and definitely knows where to find Jackson.)

Aiden is an idiot and creates most of his own obstacles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

constantinople posted:

IIRC the soundtrack was done by the same guy who made the soundtrack for NBC Hannibal. He's definitely good at atmospheric stuff, but maybe in Watch_Dogs he wasn't allowed to be as ambitious as he was in Hannibal. But Hannibal is ambitious, to make up for the fact that Watch_Dogs has, like, negative ambition.
"I enter the office through the roof. I am observant, I am mobile. I know how to make my body move to get around people instead of sneaking past them. I enter the office. Racine isn't there. A man walks through the hallway and he catches me unaware. But I'm fast, I draw quickly and shoot the fire extinguisher behind him. I'm already at the ground floor outside by the time I hear him scream. I follow Racine's car, and I T-Bone him. He goes off the road, onto the train tracks. Shoot the driver of the pursuing car, then side-step and shoot Racine once in the head. A clean shot, a fast kill. I'm gone before the other pursuing cars can get back into drive to follow me. This is not the first time I have killed someone like that. My aim is steady and practiced.

This is my design."

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm still confused.

What did Racine actually do? Is this generic white dude running a boat restoration place running hired hits on the side? I mean, huh?

It's just a sleepy little city about 70 miles north of Chicago, in the southeast corner of Wisconsin. I'm not sure what it did to hurt Aiden either.

(This post brought to you by Ironicus's confusion when Racine was first mentioned.)

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

People Aiden is okay with killing and/or grievously wounding:

1) Cops, preferrably corrupt
2) Citizens who get in the way
3) The mentally ill
4) Hired thugs
5) Anyone from ctOS

People Aiden has the greatest sympathy for and would never harm under any circumstances:

1) Damien, the guy who kidnapped his sisterwife
2) Random thug who was supposed to die but didn't and is now in jail, who might know what he looks like, and was about to die from corrupt prison guards anyway
3) Elderly crime lords

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

pkfan2004 posted:

"I enter the office through the roof. I am observant, I am mobile. I know how to make my body move to get around people instead of sneaking past them. I enter the office. Racine isn't there. A man walks through the hallway and he catches me unaware. But I'm fast, I draw quickly and shoot the fire extinguisher behind him. I'm already at the ground floor outside by the time I hear him scream. I follow Racine's car, and I T-Bone him. He goes off the road, onto the train tracks. Shoot the driver of the pursuing car, then side-step and shoot Racine once in the head. A clean shot, a fast kill. I'm gone before the other pursuing cars can get back into drive to follow me. This is not the first time I have killed someone like that. My aim is steady and practiced.

This is my design."

Holy poo poo I forgot what the first season of Hannibal was like. Season three is a great screensaver so far.

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
There was something very familiar about Aiden throwing the cellphone on the ground.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Mokinokaro posted:

Aiden is an idiot and creates most of his own obstacles.
Like I said, trying to be the most difficult person ever.

Toma posted:

There was something very familiar about Aiden throwing the cellphone on the ground.
And that just cements it succinctly, why didn't Aiden just flip the entire cake at Jackson's party and go "welcome to the real world" and just ride off on his Stampede Sayonara like the poo poo he is. Brilliant.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Because why would Aiden do that to his own son nephew? Kid is only 10 after all he doesn't want to ruin his innocence.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Toma posted:

Too bad Aiden didn't get tazed in the butthole.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I used to have a standard position bike (basically a hawg) like that and man I don't think I could wheelie it that high. Sport bike it was easy. What I'm saying is Aiden is a squid rider.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Considering that Racine has a few Longshoreman X types guarding his boat place and has a couple of cars of south club hitters on speed dial, I'd say he/his business is supposed to be a front for the south club or fixers or whatever. Watch_Hogs is awful however, so while in a better game I might take this to be more like showing and not telling, in this case I'd assume that Damien just decided to pay a guy who restores boats to perform a kidnapping. Racine pretty much was an awful person, but it's like Aiden overhears that Racine knows nothing and just coldly kills him out of revenge.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Can you complete the mission without killing him? Could you uh, kneecap him instead or something like that?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are there MP missions/invasions that involve many people at once? After the game tallied up the successful invasion, it had enough space for a dozen invaders.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The game doesn't really track how you take care of dudes. Taking down dudes with a baton affects your reputation sometimes, and some missions require you to baton dudes, but other than that the game never tells the difference between shooting guys, shooting them in the knees, and busting their skull open with the baton. There's no way to do an actual non-lethal play of the game because the game doesn't pay nearly enough attention.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
Someone smarter than me tell me what Damien's long term goal with the kidnapping is 'cause I can't see a ending where he doesn't get killed for it.
If he let's her go Aiden doesn't have a reason not to kill him.
If she's killed Aiden will kill him.
If he tries to hold her above Aiden's head forever, eventually Aiden will work his way to free her himself and kill him or one of the first two options happens.
I can't think of a way that it was a good idea at all for Damien to do this if he has any interest in long term self preservation.

The only thing I can see him doing is killing himself by suicide bombing a bunch of poo poo as a final shot of revenge against the people who hurt him using the information Aiden gets. That would make all this make a little more sense... I guess?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Buckets posted:

Someone smarter than me tell me what Damien's long term goal

No-one has one in this plot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpookyLizard posted:

Considering that Racine has a few Longshoreman X types guarding his boat place and has a couple of cars of south club hitters on speed dial, I'd say he/his business is supposed to be a front for the south club or fixers or whatever. Watch_Hogs is awful however, so while in a better game I might take this to be more like showing and not telling, in this case I'd assume that Damien just decided to pay a guy who restores boats to perform a kidnapping. Racine pretty much was an awful person, but it's like Aiden overhears that Racine knows nothing and just coldly kills him out of revenge.

Going off this, it reminds me of how awful this game is at "show, don't tell". Virtually all plot elements and backstory is presented through a character giving exposition, to the point of Aiden having an internal monologue to eliminate any ambiguity about what he's thinking or planning (which fails, as the script ends up barely coherent anyway). The audio logs barely make any sense, as characters spill sensitive information and needless backstory from their lips in conveniently dramatic packages for the player to uncover.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
And to be honest I think the implication that Racine is a shady dude with ties to the South Club are accidental at best.

E: Also, thinking on Choice and Consequence, having GOOD and EVIL decisions are completely stupid. Choice and Consequence should be entirely on a interpersonal/factional level, beyond the basics of "pick door, receive prize". New Vegas and Alpha Protocol are great examples of it, especially Alpha Protocol where it's all about making people like or hate you, not because that's who Mike Thorton is or isn't, but because you're playing them like a fiddle. New Vegas does it well too, where aside from getting a reward for a decision, or getting your desired outcome, some actions affect how different factions see you. Being friendly and doing beneficial things for htem gets you their support, where doing the opposite means they'll try to kill you on sight, and doing both will lead to a sort of uneasy truce, or a friendship where they don't quite trust you because of that thing you did that one time. It has a vestigial Karma system, that does almost nothing, afaik. It's buried under the Reputation system, as if to say "Karma is justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice."

In Chronograph_Canines, however, you just have GOOD VIGILANTE and BAD VIGILANTE! BOO THE BAD MAN BOOOO-aw that dick broke my phone.

gently caress, you'd think as a PROTECTOR maybe she'd be like "Oh it's you, and hang up" and Aiden wouldn't throw her phone to ground like the rear end in a top hat he is.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are there MP missions/invasions that involve many people at once? After the game tallied up the successful invasion, it had enough space for a dozen invaders.

There are free for all and team based gametypes around carrying an objective that you have to decrypt, nothing with the cat and mouse of the hacking (or tailing) games it's much more like CTF or king of the hill.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Buckets posted:

Someone smarter than me tell me what Damien's long term goal with the kidnapping is

At this point you're thinking about it harder than the writers ever did. But my guess is that he plans to get Aiden on his side. Yes I know this makes no sense. Shut up. WATCH_DOGS.

By the way, does anyone have a guess as what Chip's anti-invasion strategy might be? Just killing everyone? Killing someone so that NPCs would run?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dasmause posted:

At this point you're thinking about it harder than the writers ever did. But my guess is that he plans to get Aiden on his side. Yes I know this makes no sense. Shut up. WATCH_DOGS.

By the way, does anyone have a guess as what Chip's anti-invasion strategy might be? Just killing everyone? Killing someone so that NPCs would run?

A boat.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

A car stacked somewhere it is hard or impossible to get the right view to look into it if you kill the engine and "Hide"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Unplugging his modem.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

dasmause posted:

Parking it in the Wendy's like he did at the beginning of the episode.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If Chip wants invaded I find the easiest way is to hack Blume affiliates and let them call in bounties on you. It seems to greatly increase invasion chances.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, that's an out and out feature. If you let Blume affiliates call in your hack they'll call it and if you don't break their phone you get bumped to the top of the matchmaking list.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

dasmause posted:

I feel like we might've opened the video with it. That seems a bit too batshit to be counterable.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I recently finished Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (I've previously beaten the first and second Assassin's Creed...I'm planning on eventually playing Revelations like next year or so and then stopping there because I've heard that's where the series stops being worthwhile). It's amazing to me just how Assassin's Creed-y this game is. I know that's an obvious point, given that this game is basically Assassin's Creed set in the present day, but the "Entering Restricted Area" things, the slowly-filling-up "you've gotten the guard's attention" meters, and other stuff that's just gameplay mechanics is really jarring. By this point, I'm kind of surprised that Aiden can't do parkour over rooftops and dive into 21st century Chicago's many hay bales.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

^^^You should strongly consider playing rear end Creed IV as well.

So it goes by very fast, but I thought the info tidbit for Racine is "recently contacted a bankruptcy lawyer". This paints him as a guy who's boat repair business is going under and so was trying to desperately keep afloat with the kidnapping. Daimen may have even used that info to single him out as a guy to contact about doing something like that and it may have been the first crime thing Racine had done. It also somehow makes Aiden an even bigger rear end in a top hat for just coldly killing him.

e: Is the twist that you're actually playing the villain? Because that really seems like the only place to go from here. Have a dramatic scene at the end where Aiden is forced to choose between saving SisterWife's life or getting revenge on Damien for kidnapping her. Aiden chooses by coldly and brutally murdering Damien and walking away as SisterWife dies. The audience is left to realize that Aiden has truly just been insane this whole time.

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 24, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HoboMan posted:

e: Is the twist that you're actually playing the villain?

Unfortunately not. Aiden is played pretty straight as the hero the city needs.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
NOPE THIS WAS A HUGE SPOILER POST SORRY

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
A suggestion for the next time you're invaded: buy the grenade launcher and vaporize all parked cars.

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014

Mr_D posted:

A suggestion: buy the grenade launcher and vaporize all.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

dasmause posted:

I'm guessing he just waits in the middle of a field with no cars nearby so when the other player spawns in he's out in the open with no cover.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

dasmause posted:

Killing himself, so the invasion ends early, and the opponent only gets the "Partial completion" points he was talking about.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
If you kill yourself during the invasion you'll respawn nearby in the invasion area. It's complete and utter horseshit. Because that meter ticks SO SLOWLY that if you just want to get on with doing the thing you were trying to do, it's faster to quit the game and restart than it is to wait it out.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
What would happen if you just disconnected from the internet during an invasion? Science demands an answer.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Aithon posted:

What would happen if you just disconnected from the internet during an invasion? Science demands an answer.

It's a partial success for the other guy, iirc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ekster posted:

People Aiden is okay with killing and/or grievously wounding:

1) Cops, preferrably corrupt
2) Citizens who get in the way
3) The mentally ill
4) Hired thugs
5) Anyone from ctOS

People Aiden has the greatest sympathy for and would never harm under any circumstances:

1) Damien, the guy who kidnapped his sisterwife
2) Random thug who was supposed to die but didn't and is now in jail, who might know what he looks like, and was about to die from corrupt prison guards anyway
3) Elderly crime lords
What's even weirder is that he won't kill the guy who actually is responsible for killing his niece, but just basically renders him over to Jordi to get tortured off-screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm still unsure why Jordi, who seems to actually enjoy his job and cop to being a horrible person, isn't the PC.

• Locked thread