Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

I bought both Numenera and The Strange and they were a serious waste of money. The Cypher system is hot garbage, even with a few interesting ideas. Reading The Strange made me seriously wonder if I could get back the money I pledged to the Numenera game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Numenera is the only thing I've ever regretted kickstarting, including the things that never materialized.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

holy moly the tears on the Roll20 forums over their redesign

quote:

I didn't participate in the discussions you mentioned. I logged on earlier with no clue that they were revamping.... and I was floored. I actually thought I entered the wrong web address at first. Then I re-typed the address in again, still brought me to the wrong site. So then I looked closer and realized it was the right web address. Then I started to wonder if they got hacked by Anonymous or something, or re-directed by some nefarious means. So I started reading.... looking for signs of tampering in such a way. Nope, no foul play.

So then I turned on my skype and found some messages from one of my D&D groups talking about their not liking the changes made to roll20. At that point... I was in denial. I really, really loved the 'community' feeling (albeit a bit campy) that the old site presented. That feeling of role-players gathering resources and support for Roll20 was gone. I actually miss it.

I've already posted in the Mentor (now Pro) thread, however I have a feeling the majority of users will never see that discussion. It's actually news to me that a lot of features were discussed weeks prior to this, and you haven't been able to discern any of those discussions bearing fruit. Might you elaborate on that a little? I'm mostly just not liking the layout, fonts, colors, ect.... although I loved their old website.... this doesn't do anything for me at all.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm still not sold one way or the other on Numenera; I feel like I should like it because it has elements I enjoy, but the only time I've ever been able to play was with a terrible GM who kept forgetting rules and didn't think to have the characters be appropriate for the adventure in a one-session demo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

alg posted:

holy moly the tears on the Roll20 forums over their redesign

What happened with Roll20?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
They just launched a UI redesign. Except as far as I can tell they just changed their front-page - I didn't notice any significant difference within the in-game interface.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It doesn't look bad but definitely super generic.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's giving me a billion 503 errors here!!!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The in-game UI is the same but the front page is uglier now.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

One thing that has always bugged me is fantasy RPG books having no clue what to do with plain humans and going with "uh they breed a lot and are very versatile. A human can turn from fisherman to lumberjack and then to a pikeman like it ain't no thing!" gently caress you, all one needs to respec into a medieval woodcutter is moderate muscle mass, how come all these super-swole or super-smart races can't figure this poo poo out?

Still, it gave me an idea.

So, the elves tend to be very old, right? So instead of doing the tired "dickish aristocrats" shtick, maybe frame them as a society full of elderly people. Like, they're not xenophobic and condescending to other races out of spite, but they tend to just blurt out embarrassing poo poo one's grandma could say. The race isn't dying out, it's just that the stagnant elven council is Brezhnev era all over again. The reason that the society blessed with arcane wisdom still clings to dancing around trees is folks trusting their momma's "traditional" methods over whatever the Big Pharma cooks up (also they need to call grandchildren to repeatedly explain how stirrups work). Most of the ubiquitous prophecies are fraud televangelism.

Oh, and Dark Elves aren't really evil. They're the elven equivalent of metalhead teenagers who like to drink cheap wine and draw pentagrams to show their parents just how edgy they are. Hence the dumb gothy clothes.

Not exactly what you are discussing, but I recall some human diversity in rpgs.

AD&D's Birthright had about six or so flavors of human, each with different stat bonuses.

I think the 3.5 (3?) ed version of Forgotten Realms Players Handbook also had different stat bonuses or backgrounds for humans from different cultures. And a bunch of different starting equipment kits per area which was pretty interesting.

Also there was a weird rear end psionic human variant in the 3rd ed Psionics book iirc. Wilder or something.

Dec 26, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm still not sold one way or the other on Numenera; I feel like I should like it because it has elements I enjoy, but the only time I've ever been able to play was with a terrible GM who kept forgetting rules and didn't think to have the characters be appropriate for the adventure in a one-session demo.

I ran and played it for a little bit after it came out. It was ok at first but after awhile there's really just not enough depth to it and eventually my group gave up trying to make it interesting. It would probably be good for one-shots because there's very little barrier to entry.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I really like having a generic human race to use if race isn't really part of your character idea. If you're playing as a dwarf you've gotta do dwarf things or explain why you aren't.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For those of you that played in a game where a character used Vow of Poverty, was the "cannot really own a lot of things and should give all gold earned to charity" an issue?

I ask because I made a comparison lately between it and Pathfinder's Inherent Bonuses.

Here's Vow of Poverty in its final form:
AC +10
Weapon Enhancement +5
Deflection +3
Resistance +3
Ability Scores +8/+6/+4/+2
Natural Armor +2
DR 10/Evil
10 bonus feats
Other features: Endure Elements, Sustenance, Mind Shielding, Greater Sustenance, Freedom of Movement, Regeneration, True Seeing, Energy Resistance 15

And here's Inherent Bonuses:
AC +7
Weapon Enhancement +5
Deflection +5
Resistance +5
Ability Scores +6/+6/+4/+4/+2/+2
Natural Armor +5

So it's pretty clear to me that Vow of Poverty was supposed to be "you want to not own any magic items for the sake of a certain roleplaying theme, but since the mechanics demand that you have certain bonuses from magic items to keep up with the math, we'll just say gain it naturally"

Same reasoning as with Inherent Bonuses being fully fleshed-out in 4th Edition Dark Sun: give the players the numerical bonuses they'd normally get from magic items to make up for the fact that you don't want to run Dark Sun with the players decked out in cool swag.

And from a straight comparison Vow of Poverty is even stronger, but possibly to account for the fact that it assumes absolutely 0 wealth-per-level, as opposed to PF only cutting it in half.

So anyway, my question is: was the background intent of Vow of Poverty obvious at the time? Or did people struggle with ... I think I read somewhere that the Monk couldn't carry around a torch or had to roleplay out some convoluted system of transfer to accommodate the fact that he wasn't supposed to "own" the torch or whatever.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I used to hang out in the Giant in the Playground forums way back before 4E and people knew. New folk would come in and go "hey so this Vow of Poverty is pretty OP huh" (because hot drat this is a whole lot of stuff for a feat!), and then the section of people who actually knew of the wealth by level guidelines would laugh at them. The consensus was it was actually worse than just talking your DM into just giving you the magical crap you needed to function, because you were missing out on all the actually good magical enhancements people with gear would have. Like flight or a million dice of elemental damage or whatever it was back then.

Of course, people of groggy disposition would then go "oh but in my game the players are not entitled to owning a royal treasury in the first place :smaug:" and then they'd get beat over the head with the concept of magic items being necessary for the high-level challenges.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Helical Nightmares posted:

I think the 3.5 (3?) ed version of Forgotten Realms Players Handbook also had different stat bonuses or backgrounds for humans from different cultures. And a bunch of different starting equipment kits per area which was pretty interesting.

Also there was a weird rear end psionic human variant in the 3rd ed Psionics book iirc. Wilder or something.
FR has a bunch of "regional" feats that you can only take if you're from a specific area. The psionic human I think you're thinking of is the Elan, who are actually aberrations but were once human.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Humans are generic because we don't have any real equivalently-intelligent and civilized nonhuman species to compare ourselves to. All the things that make us stand out- our stamina, the fact that our infants take longer to develop- may just be part of what allows us to get to the tools and clothing stage in the first place. All the fictional races we create are basically "like humans, but-" - shorter, taller, longer lived, more greedy, more spiritual, more unemotional, etc.

Plus there's something to we said for the versatility argument strictly in the number of environments we've been able to inhabit even without modern heating and cooling techniques. It's not unique but it is rare.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Hey! I was redirected here from another thread and this thread might be equally unsuitable but maybe someone can give me some advice?

Me, my dad and my brother have no real experience with DnD or any other role-playing game. We're going on holiday together next month and all three of us were thinking we might want to try a game out in the evenings. Is three people too small a group to do anything with? If it is, do you guys have any recommendations for board games or card games? If three *isn't* too small, do you have any recommendations for people who are pretty much completely new to this stuff? We are experienced players of Steve Jackson's Sorcery! and that's about it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

an overdue owl posted:

Hey! I was redirected here from another thread and this thread might be equally unsuitable but maybe someone can give me some advice?

Me, my dad and my brother have no real experience with DnD or any other role-playing game. We're going on holiday together next month and all three of us were thinking we might want to try a game out in the evenings. Is three people too small a group to do anything with? If it is, do you guys have any recommendations for board games or card games? If three *isn't* too small, do you have any recommendations for people who are pretty much completely new to this stuff? We are experienced players of Steve Jackson's Sorcery! and that's about it.

With 3 totally inexperienced people I'd go with something that's real-world and relateable in setting that doesn't need one person being a Game Master, so you can all have fun playing the game and nobody has to take on more responsibility than the other two.

So, you should play Fiasco! http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/games/fiasco/

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Seconding this recommendation.

And if you want something quick and easy to learn with minimal dice rolling and a sci-fi bent, I'd suggest checking out Lasers and Feelings.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Play Fiasco.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Fiasco is a really fun game. Playing it felt like being a character in a movie like Fargo or Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels. It differs significantly from games like D&D, but for a group of 3 with no GM it's a super great choice. It's pretty light on rules, so you could probably play within 5 minutes or reading the book.

e: Well, poo poo.

e2: You could also try The Extraordinary Adventures Of Baron Munchausen, which is a game about telling tall stories. It's fun as hell when everyone's drinking.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 24, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

FR has a bunch of "regional" feats that you can only take if you're from a specific area. The psionic human I think you're thinking of is the Elan, who are actually aberrations but were once human.

As I recall, correct on both counts!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

e2: You could also try The Extraordinary Adventures Of Baron Munchausen, which is a game about telling tall stories.

Not only is a cool game, but it's also an amazing book. The most fun I've had reading the rules to an TRPG by far.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Has anyone played Outbreak undead: deep space or just the basic game? I'm kinda curious to see what other people think of this game.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely have a look at Fiasco and the Baron Munchausen game. We will be drinking so hopefully either one of those will lead to good times.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Are Drivethru downloads down for you guys or is it something on my end?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

Are Drivethru downloads down for you guys or is it something on my end?

They've been up and down all week. I tried to download something a few hours ago and got the "all servers are busy" error, but I tried again twenty seconds later and it worked fine.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

an overdue owl posted:

edit: Missed the part that asked about role-playing. ignore

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

AlphaDog posted:

Fiasco is a really fun game. Playing it felt like being a character in a movie like Fargo or Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels. It differs significantly from games like D&D, but for a group of 3 with no GM it's a super great choice. It's pretty light on rules, so you could probably play within 5 minutes or reading the book.

Fiasco is a great game, but AlphaDog points out something here that's really important: it's meant to be essentially The Coen Brothers RPG. It is really good at being the Coen Brothers RPG, but only if your group has internalized those kinds of stories in the first place. It's extremely rules-light, because it uses the group's genre savvy as a (often highly effective) replacement for strict procedures. But if the players don't have enough exposure to things like Lock Stock and Fargo, they may not know what they should be doing to push the scenes in the direction they need to go. Fiasco gets recommended a lot for new players, and it can be good for them, but it can also be confusing and underwhelming if the players don't have the right media exposure to immediately "get" what it's trying to do and jump on it.

The Quiet Year might suit your needs, An Overdue Owl, especially if your vacation is taking you out into nature. It's a combination roleplaying game and board game, except you're creating the board as you go, and the role you're playing is the shared control of a post-apocalyptic community.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

an overdue owl posted:

If you like superheroes, Marvel Heroic Roleplaying is a good choice for small groups. It scales pretty well. The problem is it's out of print, and some people find it hard to grasp at first. I think your background in gamebooks should help though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I'm thinking about subbing Roll20 to run a campaign in the future.

Anyone here familiar with Pro? Do I lose all my work if I ever un-sub?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Jackard posted:

I'm thinking about subbing Roll20 to run a campaign in the future.

Anyone here familiar with Pro? Do I lose all my work if I ever un-sub?

All you get with mentor is API. All the other stuff stays for non pro.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So i'm sitting here watching 80's slasher flicks and I'm curious if there's any game that simulates that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm only vaguely familiar with it but I think Dread was more or less purpose-built for that kind of thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/60714/Slasher-Flick

Slasher Flick is a roleplaying game that brings all the thrills and chills of "psycho killer" movies from the screen to the tabletop! With a game system that was designed to create and build suspense, Slasher Flick emulates every aspect of the genre with ease and style.

· Multiple Characters! Each player plays a primary character as well as one or more secondary characters (i.e., victims!).

· Group-Based Character Creation! Players create their own primary characters, but everyone helps create the secondary characters.

· Kill Scenes! When the killer strikes, a kill scene begins. A kill scene is a stream of narration punctuated by stat checks. Successful stat checks grant the character survival points, while unsuccessful ones cause a loss of survival points. If the character gains 8, he survives... but if he drops below 0, he’s butchered!

· Genre Points! When a character does something that plays to the conventions of the genre (e.g., checking out the noise), the controlling player receives a genre point that can help out later on in the game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That sounds like a great way to kill an evening. Time to find some reviews and see if it's worth buying.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
RolePlaying Public Radio did an actual play of it where they reskinned it into an 80s action movie, but you should get a good feel for how the system plays.

Apparently they also did an actual play where they played it as straight horror, but I haven't listened to this one.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

RolePlaying Public Radio did an actual play of it where they reskinned it into an 80s action movie, but you should get a good feel for how the system plays.

This is a great episode to listen to purely for the entertainment value

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

alg posted:

All you get with mentor is API. All the other stuff stays for non pro.

It also gets you access to the Dev server, so any campaigns there go away if you stop subscribing (but you can just use the regular server as usual, if you think you might cancel in the near future).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm only vaguely familiar with it but I think Dread was more or less purpose-built for that kind of thing.

We've done Dread with slashers, zombies, lovecraftian horrors, and variations on those themes. It's very good at slasher stuff, and just as good at the creeping-doom lovecraft stuff. I wasn't such a huge fan of it a zombie game, but it still totally worked.

• Locked thread