Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Just put the belt in with the bolt forward :psyduck:

dont give a saw to the cook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

we had a nco trying to tell us to half-cock the saw so you could put the safety on

great way to ruin a saw

b-b-b-but the red is showing!!!! you'll kill everyone!!! :qq:

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

I find it kind of funny that the people who say we should arm recruiters and such are usually (at least around here) the same people who are freaking out about Jade Helm. I don't know how one minute you can worry about the military taking over or whatever the hell they're scared of, then the next minute complain about how members of the same military aren't armed in their offices.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mr_Ruckus posted:

I find it kind of funny that the people who say we should arm recruiters and such are usually (at least around here) the same people who are freaking out about Jade Helm. I don't know how one minute you can worry about the military taking over or whatever the hell they're scared of, then the next minute complain about how members of the same military aren't armed in their offices.

Obama did a thing, and then he didn't do a different thing. Obama bad.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I hope congress makes it mandatory for recruiters to be armed so every morning they have to drive an hour to the armory to sign out an M9 and every night when they get off to turn it in, making the work day that much more inconvenient

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Justin Tyme posted:

I hope congress makes it mandatory for recruiters to be armed so every morning they have to drive an hour to the armory to sign out an M9 and every night when they get off to turn it in, making the work day that much more inconvenient

I, too, hate my recruiter and want him to be miserable.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Aranan posted:

I, too, hate my recruiter and want him to be miserable.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/07/23/recruiting-center-shot-fired.html

Highlights posted:

LANCASTER, Ohio — The armed civilians who have been guarding a military recruitment center here are gone, ordered off the property after one of them accidentally discharged his rifle on Thursday.

Reed told police that he was holding his rifle outside the recruitment center when someone asked if he could take a look at it. Reed agreed, and while he was trying to clear the ammunition from the weapon, he accidentally fired one shot into the asphalt pavement.

Reed was convicted of the same offense in 2013, and was fined $50, court records show.

“I’m nobody special,” Reed said in a telephone interview on Thursday. “I’m just a guy doing my job because my own government wouldn’t do it.”

Reed said he is not a military veteran. He described himself as an active gun enthusiast who makes a living working side jobs.

Ashbaugh, 48, of Lancaster, whose husband is a Marine veteran, said she was heartened to see the volunteers guarding the recruitment center.

“We have recruiters who can’t defend themselves. Thank God for these people willing to defend them,” she said.

Delizin fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 24, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

quote:

grossly incompetent doesn't begin to describe it

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Is there some reason tank trails need to be swept? Saw some dudes today sweeping one with push brooms. They looked pretty motivated about their sweeping too, they swept the gently caress out of that road.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Is there some reason tank trails need to be swept? Saw some dudes today sweeping one with push brooms. They looked pretty motivated about their sweeping too, they swept the gently caress out of that road.

Peacetime Army

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mustang posted:

Should've asked them how hard they hosed up.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mustang posted:

Yeah, it'll be some crunchy battalion / brigade commander who put it out that having people sweep poo poo is a good waste of time

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Mustang posted:

drat whatever happened to just doing some landscaping?

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015

Mustang posted:

Right after I made 5, I was told to lead a whole bunch of new soldiers in sweeping a tank trail. I found a loving contractor working in the same area that had one of those bobcat sweepers and asked him nicely to clean it up for us. We all just sat around smokin and jokin for the four hours they thought it would take us, and the contractor did in under 20 minutes.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Lard Goat posted:

Right after I made 5, I was told to lead a whole bunch of new soldiers in sweeping a tank trail. I found a loving contractor working in the same area that had one of those bobcat sweepers and asked him nicely to clean it up for us. We all just sat around smokin and jokin for the four hours they thought it would take us, and the contractor did in under 20 minutes.
You're a good NCO.

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015

Spicy Guacamole posted:

You're a good NCO.

WAS a good nco, but like all of the good nco's I got the gently caress out as soon as possible. I couldn't stand army life anymore or the poo poo rolling down hill mentality. I found you didn't have to be a dick to the joes below you, empathy worked way better and got better results.

old wooden ships fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 25, 2015

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Lard Goat posted:

WAS a good nco, but like all of the good nco's I got the gently caress out as soon as possible. I couldn't stand army life anymore or the poo poo rolling down hill mentality. I found you didn't have to be a dick to the joes below you, empathy worked way better and got better results.

To your joes you were the best NCO.

To your superiors you were the worst NCO.

You did the best thing ever and got out. Good Job. gently caress the Army.

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015

Carteret posted:

To your joes you were the best NCO.

To your superiors you were the worst NCO.

You did the best thing ever and got out. Good Job. gently caress the Army.

That really was the problem, my joes loved me and they did what needed to be done. I wasn't always on the gun line with them cleaning paladins and cats, but I was in the platoon sgts office fighting for them, trying to get them away from the bullshit I went through. So they were fighting for me, by making sure we were a loving awesome section. We had an e-6 section chief, but he was worthless, so I ran that poo poo. Then I hit my 5 years I signed up for and got the gently caress out, telling my joes to follow me.

In case you're from some kind of pussy mos, arguing with a field artillery e-7 that has scars all over his head from ied's while you're just a slick sleeve e-5 is hard. After our deployment together we became best friends after I left the army. He was also one of the few that empathized with his soldiers, AFTER you deployed with him.

Holy gently caress I am still giving too many fucks three years later. Only two out of nine soldiers followed me in getting out. The rest are drinking that kool-aid.

old wooden ships fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 25, 2015

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Lard Goat posted:

Holy gently caress I am still giving too many fucks three years later. Only two out of nine soldiers followed me in getting out. The rest are drinking that kool-aid.

You can't save all of them.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Being a veteran, much like the army, isn't for everyone. It's tight as gently caress tho

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Lard Goat posted:

Holy gently caress I am still giving too many fucks three years later.

Some days I accidentally remember exactly how long it's been since I got back from Afghanistan, and the number always seems wrong. If it was so long ago, why do I still think about the place every single day?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

iKon posted:

Some days I accidentally remember exactly how long it's been since I got back from Afghanistan, and the number always seems wrong. If it was so long ago, why do I still think about the place every single day?

Are you at the 'obsessively watching war docs' part yet?

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT'S SEBASTIAN JUNGER’S RESTREPO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE SECOND PLATOON

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Everyday because of my mush brain I forget about the army more and more. And seeing as how I didn't learn or do anything that didn't matter worth a single solitary gently caress I am totally okay with this.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT’S THE DEATH OF THE BALL TURRET GUNNER BY RANDALL JARRELL AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START RECITING THE LINES ALONGSIDE THE NARRATOR. I EMOTE EVERY IDEA AND I EMOTE EVERY IDEA HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME SPARSE STANZAS AND UNCOMFORTABLE TOPICS EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY GOT WASHED OUT OF THE NATIONS #1 BOMBER WITH A HOSE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY STUDENT VETERANS LOUNGE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE POGS JUST DONT GET IT MAN. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE THINGS TO AVOID MENTIONING ON TINDER AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF INSUFFERABLE TO OTHERS LESS KEEN ON HEARING THE SACRIFICES OF OUR GREATEST GENERATION AND THE WOUNDS COMMON ACROSS ALL WARS.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Zeris posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT’S THE DEATH OF THE BALL TURRET GUNNER BY RANDALL JARRELL AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START RECITING THE LINES ALONGSIDE THE NARRATOR. I EMOTE EVERY IDEA AND I EMOTE EVERY IDEA HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME SPARSE STANZAS AND UNCOMFORTABLE TOPICS EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY GOT WASHED OUT OF THE NATIONS #1 BOMBER WITH A HOSE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY STUDENT VETERANS LOUNGE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE POGS JUST DONT GET IT MAN. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE THINGS TO AVOID MENTIONING ON TINDER AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF INSUFFERABLE TO OTHERS LESS KEEN ON HEARING THE SACRIFICES OF OUR GREATEST GENERATION AND THE WOUNDS COMMON ACROSS ALL WARS.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A REEL INTO THE PROJECTOR. ITS THE TRIUMPH OF THE WILL BY LENI REIFENSTAHL AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START RECITING THE LINES ALONGSIDE HITLER. I EMOTE EVERY IDEA AND I EMOTE EVERY IDEA HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SNAP UP A NAZI SALUTE AND GOOSE STEP AROUND THE ROOM EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY'RE PART OF THE MASTER RACE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY WESTERN HISTORY CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE UNTERMENSCHEN ARE EASILY OFFENDED. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE RHETORIC ON WHY DEUTCHLAND IS THE GREATEST AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY PARENTS BASEMENT FEEL A LITTLE LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING THE FOURTEEN LINES. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNing

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I DO PUSHUPS IN CADENCE TO THIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1sEt3NjHNA

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
People in the army are loving weird.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
I just drink and watch Army Wives on Netflix while wishing the real Army was like that.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Crazy Mike posted:

I just drink

Let's ride this bitch into the ground.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Crazy Mike posted:

I just drink

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
So one of the three local clubs that is on-limits here by our base in Honduras is now off-limits.

Why, you ask? Surely it must be prostitution or drugs, being in Central America, right?

Nope, the club owner was assassinated in broad daylight while driving down the street, allegedly by the MS gang. Fuckin' brutal.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
What's the promotion time frame for NCO's like? Curious because I've met SSGs that are as young as me or slightly younger(I'm 27) as well as quite a few that are probably 40 or close to it and SFCs that are late 20's early 30's.

Also I'm so glad I went armor after hearing about the poo poo IBOLC guys from my OCS class are dealing with. ABOLC is pretty chill and you actually learn some cool/useful stuff.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Minimum TIS for SSG is 48 months, so a guy who enlists at 17 and busts rear end for four years could be a 21 year old SSG.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Minimum TIS for SSG is 48 months, so a guy who enlists at 17 and busts rear end for four years could be a 21 year old SSG.

Not as weird as a 24 year old captain.

Also what's the min TIS for SFC?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I think it's seven. Always heard that whole "seven in seven" thing.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Spicy Guacamole posted:

I remember in A-School there was a 22 year old PO1 that everybody hated because he got promoted in the field for some poo poo he did. It was weird to be an E3 and have this guy yelling at me who was a year younger than me. I've never seen him again so I assume he failed out at some point in the school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

ABOLC is pretty chill and you actually learn some cool/useful stuff.

Every Armor/Cavalry officer I know wound up doing dismounted patrols in Afghanistan, so while I'm sure there's a lot of cool maneuver doctrine you learn in ABOLC I'm not sure how useful it could be considered in the contemporary operating environment.

• Locked thread