Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

You paid like a dollar an hour for these games if you really hate them unconditionally you might be a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

That one guy in this thread who hates Morrowind deeply disappoints me on many levels.

I don't hate Morrowind I hate its fans.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If T. Howard wasn't involved with Morrowind then how could Bethesda have found the inspiration to create a false vampire-prophet dwelling deep inside the Hell that is the product of some long-lost greater peoples? How could they have determined the proper proportions of his pale, wiry frame? And how would they have known to make him a silver-tongued ghoul who crawls out of a hole in the ground once every eon so that he might plague the unwary with lies and deceit?

I'a Cthulhu! I'a Howard!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Bholder posted:

... and people on that mountain still asks you about Benny and the Platinum chip because you are supposed to get there before you kill him.

The only time that ever happens is in Primm. Anywhere else in the game where Benny can come up, he doesn't if you already killed him.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I like morrowind but sometimes I pretend to uphold oblivion as the peak as the series because some people get so mad about it.

2house2fly posted:

The only time that ever happens is in Primm. Anywhere else in the game where Benny can come up, he doesn't if you already killed him.

that reminds me, I don't like how to get the pro-NCR prison ending you have to first work for the convicts and then betray them on the last part of the quest. It was probably a time thing but why didn't it give me the option of assaulting the prison with the NCR after I let them take Primm?

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 24, 2015

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Bholder posted:

I don't hate Morrowind I hate its fans.

They're the Tool fans of the Elder Scrolls series.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Man Whore posted:

I like morrowind but sometimes I pretend to uphold oblivion as the peak as the series because some people get so mad about it.

that reminds me, I don't like how to get the pro-NCR prison ending you have to first work for the convicts and then betray them on the last part of the quest. It was probably a time thing but why didn't it give me the option of assaulting the prison with the NCR after I let them take Primm?

I *think* a lot of the NCR bit of that quest was cut out. Not sure if the prison assault specifically was, but getting the NCR to take over the town definitely was not as straightforward as it is in the final game.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Nah, if you go back to Goodsprings you still have the option to ask about Benny.

Bigger issue is with areas like Westside and the Sewers, areas that are way too hidden and nobody gives a poo poo about, because by the time you find them all the bigger problems are solved and nothing there can even hurt you.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Bholder posted:

Nah, if you go back to Goodsprings you still have the option to ask about Benny.

Bigger issue is with areas like Westside and the Sewers, areas that are way too hidden and nobody gives a poo poo about, because by the time you find them all the bigger problems are solved and nothing there can even hurt you.

Yes, how cruel of them to have areas that actually need to discovered rather then have massive signposts pointing them out.

Isn't that the big complaint about NV from FO3 fans? That there aren't enough ruins to discover and explore? But when they actually put poo poo like that in, it's suddenly bad?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

homeless poster posted:

no poo poo right? how much cooler would dragon battles have been if high level battles involved you flying around and stabbing / shooting them in the loving sky!
If you turned on noclip in Fallout 3/New Vegas to fly around, any enemy you attacked during that time would fly apart like you'd hit a sack of Silly Putty with a sledgehammer.

achillesforever6 posted:

Troy Baker is a national treasure you take that back and buy his music album :colbert:
Not that it matters, but the male protagonist is Brian Delaney.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If T. Howard wasn't involved with Morrowind then how could Bethesda have found the inspiration to create a false vampire-prophet dwelling deep inside the Hell that is the product of some long-lost greater peoples? How could they have determined the proper proportions of his pale, wiry frame? And how would they have known to make him a silver-tongued ghoul who crawls out of a hole in the ground once every eon so that he might plague the unwary with lies and deceit?
Speaking of which, has anyone seen Kirkbride since he tried that peyote enema back in mid-June?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Isn't that the big complaint about NV from FO3 fans? That there aren't enough ruins to discover and explore? But when they actually put poo poo like that in, it's suddenly bad?

That and the open world apparently wasn't open enough, I guess because the game "forces" you to take the Nipton route to The Strip (which it doesn't) or something about too many invisible walls (which F3 had in abundance as well.)

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yes, how cruel of them to have areas that actually need to discovered rather then have massive signposts pointing them out.

Westside is not a ruin to explore, it is a settlement that supposed show the ran-down side of New Vegas and that there are numerous people living outside the main gates, but since it is so hidden for some reason it hurts the established narrative.

I mean Hidden Valley is easier to find than loving Westside, come on!

Bholder fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 24, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bholder posted:

Westside is not a ruin to explore, it is a settlement that supposed show the ran-down side of New Vegas and that there are numerous people living outside the main gates, but since it is so hidden for some reason it hurts the established narrative.

"On the other side of NV, out in the open" isn't really hidden now, let's be honest

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Magmarashi posted:

"On the other side of NV, out in the open" isn't really hidden now, let's be honest

A single wooden door between a bunch of ruined buildings there aren't even any people nearby but you can hear them in the background

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bholder posted:

A single wooden door between a bunch of ruined buildings there aren't even any people nearby but you can hear them in the background

*shrug* I found it first go, maybe you're bad at exploration?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Bholder posted:

2 entrances with walls and small farms with guards around them, truly the hardest to spot area of the game.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The description 'A single wooden door between a bunch of ruined buildings' reminds me of North Vegas Square more than Westside but it's been a while.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Father Wendigo posted:

Speaking of which, has anyone seen Kirkbride since he tried that peyote enema back in mid-June?

Hmmmm....

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I've just started playing this and I noticed that right at the beginning if you're a really bad shot and fail to kill a bunch of powder gangers during the first quest, their faction starts out pretty indifferent to you. This is hilarious because when you read the wiki they're some tiny little insignificant evil pissant do-nothing faction. You're supposed to only see them during the first part of the game and only after if you're just passing through.

But you're better armed and now you actually know how to shoot. And there's these neutral guys just standing around with lovely weapons like butcher knives and pool cues. You can even walk up to them and they talk to you about how much they like explosions. Like normal ordinary real life people. You can shoot around them, and maybe headshot a few before the rest decide to team up and mob you with their lovely newbie weapons.

But the best part is that they're flagged as "evil" in some configuration file, so each time you shoot one you get a happy little chime sound and a thumbs up "You've gained Karma!" It's like some late 90's soccer mom's secret wet dream / nightmare.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Powder Gangers aren't insignificant. They don't matter on the scale of "who's fighting for control of New Vegas", but their presence is considered to be a serious problem that the NCR hasn't yet been able to solve.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Alain Post posted:

The Powder Gangers aren't insignificant.
All I can see is Power Rangers, maybe I need new glasses. But I never wear 'em, not even to see. Never even had a fuckin' eye exam.

(I mixed this up with the True Detective topic so that Vince Vaughn joke I just made is quite out of context. He would make a fine addition to Fallout 4.)

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Alain Post posted:

The Powder Gangers aren't insignificant. They don't matter on the scale of "who's fighting for control of New Vegas", but their presence is considered to be a serious problem that the NCR hasn't yet been able to solve.

only because all the troops are being sent elsewhere, when the NCR finally decides to give a poo poo they just send a couple squads to the prison and solve the problem... if you help the powder gangers, if you dont then the prison will either always be full of gangers or it will be empty when you decide to finally kill all of them.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Alain Post posted:

The Powder Gangers aren't insignificant.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *deep inhale* hahahahahahahahahahahaha *coughs a couple times* hahaha- *coughs uncontrollably* hahaha... hahaha... *falls on floor, blood dribbling out of mouth* ha... ha... ha... ha... *dies and farts*

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

that was kind of dumb but so are the powder gangers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The post I was responding to implied that the Powder Gangers have basically no presence after Goodsprings, which isn't really true, since they've taken over Primm, and have other quests and locations dedicated to them besides that. They are not a major faction, but saying a faction that gets multiple quests, locations, a reputation, and an ending slide is "[a] tiny little insignificant evil pissant do-nothing faction. [you only] see them during the first part of the game and only after if you're just passing through." isn't accurate. They aren't the Viper Gunslingers.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Alain Post posted:

The post I was responding to implied that the Powder Gangers have basically no presence after Goodsprings, which isn't really true, since they've taken over Primm, and have other quests and locations dedicated to them besides that. They are not a major faction, but saying a faction that gets multiple quests, locations, a reputation, and an ending slide is "[a] tiny little insignificant evil pissant do-nothing faction. [you only] see them during the first part of the game and only after if you're just passing through." isn't accurate. They aren't the Viper Gunslingers.

Yeah, they kind of are, actually. You only deal with them in Goodsprings, Primm, the prison, and the area between those locals, which are all a stone's throw from each other and the beginning of the game, and the questline involving them is either finished in the first half hour of play, or skipped entirely and never really touched on again. They aren't a side menace like the Fiends, who seem to pop up in at least half of the NCR quests in some way.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

So the Vipers and Jackals were supposed to be in the original Fallout (Aradesh mentions them a few times), but they wound up getting cut when the devs ran out of time. Then they were supposed to be in Black Isle's Fallout 3, but that game got shitcanned at the last minute. By the time they made it to New Vegas, details about them had been floating around the internet for ages. Both groups were from Vault 15 just like the Khans and Shadysanders (its gimmick seems to have been "diversity" or something like that). The Vipers were these weird cultists who had bone armor and spears tipped with venom and worshiped a giant snake that they'd feed people to. The Jackals were feral cannibals with filed teeth.

The ones we saw in New Vegas were the dregs of the dregs after the NCR and Brotherhood had shot most of them, and their decline works on a similar thematic level to that of the Khans, but it's still pretty lame that none of their cool backstory made it into the game. Warrior priests in feathered headdresses and snakeskin capes sound way more interesting than generic raiders, but at least the Jackals do seem to want to eat you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

frajaq posted:

No.

We don't know that yet.

Bet there will be mods that let you swap out the default voice for some sweaty nerd reading all the lines in a wind tunnel

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Duckbag posted:

So the Vipers and Jackals were supposed to be in the original Fallout (Aradesh mentions them a few times), but they wound up getting cut when the devs ran out of time. Then they were supposed to be in Black Isle's Fallout 3, but that game got shitcanned at the last minute. By the time they made it to New Vegas, details about them had been floating around the internet for ages. Both groups were from Vault 15 just like the Khans and Shadysanders (its gimmick seems to have been "diversity" or something like that). The Vipers were these weird cultists who had bone armor and spears tipped with venom and worshiped a giant snake that they'd feed people to. The Jackals were feral cannibals with filed teeth.

The ones we saw in New Vegas were the dregs of the dregs after the NCR and Brotherhood had shot most of them, and their decline works on a similar thematic level to that of the Khans, but it's still pretty lame that none of their cool backstory made it into the game. Warrior priests in feathered headdresses and snakeskin capes sound way more interesting than generic raiders, but at least the Jackals do seem to want to eat you.

Why is it that all the cool and creative stuff gets cut from Fallout games? I'd much rather have had that in there than a gang of raiders that impersonate the loving rat pack.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
This thread is pessimistic as gently caress for a game that looks like its gonna be amazing. Craftable weapons? Custom made housing and outposts? Finally being able to add pouches to all your armor like a reject Liefeld character? Goddamn jetpacks?!

Also Oblivion, New Vegas, FO3 and Skyrim were all flawed games but ultimately fun as hell, and wasn't hard to put 200 hours into any of them.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Never doubt the ability of Bethesda fans to just spew humongous amounts of venom. Every SA thread on a Bethesda game since oblivion has just been massively negative at all times. This thread is actually like way more optimistic than the skyrim thread was.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I love how there's always someone new who can't comprehend the fun it is laughing along with Creme-of-plenty or the next Dongicus because "we're all unjustly hating on a surefire perfect game, Fallout 4".

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rough Lobster posted:

This thread is pessimistic as gently caress for a game that looks like its gonna be amazing. Craftable weapons? Custom made housing and outposts? Finally being able to add pouches to all your armor like a reject Liefeld character? Goddamn jetpacks?!

Also Oblivion, New Vegas, FO3 and Skyrim were all flawed games but ultimately fun as hell, and wasn't hard to put 200 hours into any of them.

This game is sure to be a slam dunk. In my toliet bowl.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Crabtree posted:

I love how there's always someone new who can't comprehend the fun it is laughing along with Creme-of-plenty or the next Dongicus because "we're all unjustly hating on a surefire perfect game, Fallout 4".

Do not compare the majesty of Creme-of-plenty posts to the mediocre Dongicus tia

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Man Whore posted:

Do not compare the majesty of Creme-of-plenty posts to the mediocre Dongicus tia

This thread will become a sentient poo poo-posting machine by release mark my words. Cream-of-Plenty is just setting the pace.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Rough Lobster posted:

So far, this just looks like a mix between Destiny and Mass Effect with a "poo poo's ruined" skin slapped on it. So sorry that we're not jumping for joy.

And Oblivion was hot garbage.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JackBadass posted:

So far, this just looks like a mix between Destiny and Mass Effect with a "poo poo's ruined" skin slapped on it. So sorry that we're not jumping for joy.

And Oblivion was hot garbage.

gently caress at least you're not that far gone yet.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Man Whore posted:

Ones a better made joke crafted by artisan hands, but both are roughly aimed at the same goal. I don't know if we'll survive the poo poo post singularity though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

why are you assuming that i'm trolling im trying to talk about a videogame in the videogame forum

• Locked thread