Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

Maybe because it was I didn't have a dog i the race, but I liked your Mortal Kombat article, it sounds like I'm going to loving hate your Street Fighter one.

Listen, I'm not saying I ranked Chun-Li all the way at the bottom...

But I AM saying that she's outranked by a guy who has an insatiable zest for Turkish oil wrestling and constantly impregnating his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skwirl posted:

I'm surprised anyone has an opinion on Tekken characters beyond "Wait, there's a panda?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA7DeHyXCM0

The man in the bowtie is his adoptive father (and one of the main baddies of the series).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

But I AM saying that she's outranked by a guy who has an insatiable zest for Turkish oil wrestling and constantly impregnating his wife.

Personally, I just assumed that guy was gonna be pretty high on the list anyway.

Skwirl posted:

I'm surprised anyone has an opinion on Tekken characters beyond "Wait, there's a panda?"

The characters in Tekken are pretty awesome.

Jin, man, that fucker kicks rear end.

King and Marduk are cool and have a really interesting arc together.

Alisa is an android with jets and chainsaw arms!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gavok posted:

Yah, I'm not going to be happy about this article. Out of morbid curiosity, where are you throwing Dee Jay and Thunder Hawk, just asking for top half or bottom half of the rankings. T Hawk won me over in Super Street Fighter 4 because I could use the bumpers to execute those moves I could never pull off in the arcade.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I still remember being incredibly impressed that Tekken 3 picked up 20 years later.
Paul has a beard! This is storytelling!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

Yah, I'm not going to be happy about this article. Out of morbid curiosity, where are you throwing Dee Jay and Thunder Hawk, just asking for top half or bottom half of the rankings. T Hawk won me over in Super Street Fighter 4 because I could use the bumpers to execute those moves I could never pull off in the arcade.

Bottom. Especially Dee Jay.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA7DeHyXCM0

The man in the bowtie is his adoptive father (and one of the main baddies of the series).

Lee Chaolan isn't the best Tekken character ever. He's actually the best video game character ever.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

Lee Chaolan isn't the best Tekken character ever. He's actually the best video game character ever.

It's like Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark fused and were also now Asian.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Since this conversation came up, I off-hand mentioned Gavok's History of Street Fighter Comics article to my dad, mostly to joke about how bad the Malibu Comics run was. This lead to my dad spending half an hour talking about how he used to borrow Len Strazewski's Tomb of Dracula books in college and he should totally email him sometime. Gavok, good at video game articles and bringing families closer together.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I'm surprised anyone has an opinion on Tekken characters

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I miss the Udon SF comics. For a while they were great, then they got awful in a hurry, partly due to having to change up their scripts to tie into Street Fighter 4's godawful story.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Udon's coming back in a few months with Street Fighter Unlimited, which is supposed to cover the story of SF3, only with a bunch of characters from the earlier games added in because the SF3 cast didn't really catch on all too well.

They released only graphic novels for a couple years with massive delays which didn't work out too well, but I HIGHLY recommend Street Fighter Origins: Akuma. It explains Akuma's backstory in a way that makes him sympathetic and tragic without ruining him and making him into another Anakin Skywalker. It's also a roundabout origin story for Ryu while explaining their relationship without having to rely on the simple "Akuma is Ryu's dad I guess" twist.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did Namco ever finish their half of Tekken vs Street Fighter?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

After Capcom released possibly their worst fighting game since the playstation days for their part of the deal, the Tekken guys decided to hold off on that until people would be a little more hyped than not at all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

What Cataclysm books do I need to read if I only really give a poo poo about Spider-Man? Where does Ultimate Spider-Man 200 fit into this Godawful mess?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Just read the Cataclysm: Ultimate Spider-Man comics. I think there's like 3 issues. The only thing involving Miles in the main series is that he goes through a portal to 616 (the one from Spider-Men) with Ultimate Reed to infiltrate the Baxter Building and get info on Galactus, they see Valeria and run from a swarm of HERBIES. That's it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gavok posted:

Don't doxx me in your off-site articles, ok?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Rhyno posted:

I still say it should have been Black Lightning.

I think he just goes by Super Volt

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Booblord Zagats posted:

I think he just goes by Super Volt

Not this guy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Daken: Drowned by his dad, raised from the dead by the Apocalypse twins, but now is back to normal? How did that happen?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Gavok: Can you just rate the Street Fighter characters on how awesome/not awesome they were in the live action movie? Thanks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Madkal posted:

Gavok: Can you just rate the Street Fighter characters on how awesome/not awesome they were in the live action movie? Thanks.

But then spots 1-5 are taken up by Balrog.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

But then spots 1-5 are taken up by Balrog.

Do you mean Bison? Or Japanese Bison? Or was Bison Vega in Japanese? Because they couldn't just swap the names, they rotated them all.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gaz-L posted:

Do you mean Bison? Or Japanese Bison? Or was Bison Vega in Japanese? Because they couldn't just swap the names, they rotated them all.

The only Bison that matters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Right, that guy. Dictator.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

prefect posted:

The only Bison that matters.

I almost forgot that while filming Julia was dying of cancer :(

Anyway, here is a great write-up about all the filming troubles behind the Street Fighter movie. Really worth a read.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Street Fighter movie character rankings:
1-10: M. Bison
11: Cammy I guess?
No, gently caress you, go to hell: Everyone else

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Guile was amazing in that movie, and so was Zangief. So, those two and Bison. Everyone else was boring as gently caress and completely forgettable.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Is this gavok's MK article, or is there a more recent one?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He has one for DenOfGeek that he should link that he ranks all the characters. Dude loves fighting games, Venom, and wrestling. If I could get him to write about Power Rangers, and Sega Genesis, and he'd have my childhood covered.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Right here.

Come for the list. Stay for the people angry about how much I disrespected Reiko and Jade!

Die Laughing posted:

He has one for DenOfGeek that he should link that he ranks all the characters. Dude loves fighting games, Venom, and wrestling. If I could get him to write about Power Rangers, and Sega Genesis, and he'd have my childhood covered.

We have another guy for Power Rangers. I'm not an expert on the series, but he did a fun list ranking all the Red Rangers.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Gavok posted:

Right here.

Come for the list. Stay for the people angry about how much I disrespected Reiko and Jade!
Ha, I loved Mortal Kombat in late elementary/middle school (who didn't?). It was fun to read, even though I legitimately don't know who many of the characters are.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Right here.

I've only made my way down about 10 characters, but uh, sounds as if Mortal Kombat 4 was Not Very Good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

I've only made my way down about 10 characters, but uh, sounds as if Mortal Kombat 4 was Not Very Good.

There is a reason that MK3 is the last one anyone meaningfully cared about before MK9.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As far as fighting games go, I was only into Tekken and Soul Calibur (and DBZ tie-in games). It's not that I didn't like stuff like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat or any of the others - I just never really played them. I was into the Saturday morning cartoons, though. :v:

My big childhood obsession was Star Wars.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 24, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

We have another guy for Power Rangers. I'm not an expert on the series, but he did a fun list ranking all the Red Rangers.

Cole was the best and Wild Force was the best season ever. :colbert:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What's Judd Winnick been up to? Is he still around?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

What's Judd Winnick been up to? Is he still around?

He wrapped up A Town Called Dragon earlier this year. I believe he is still trying to get a Barry Ween tv show going.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rhyno posted:

He wrapped up A Town Called Dragon earlier this year. I believe he is still trying to get a Barry Ween tv show going.

It'll probably be easy to pitch since there's never been a show like that before.

Also I haven't thought about Barry Ween in years but just today found some issues in a quarter bin and just learned that.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

WickedHate posted:

Cole was the best and Wild Force was the best season ever. :colbert:

Nah that guy's list was solid with Cole so low down and best series Time Force's Wes and Eric high up the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

Nah that guy's list was solid with Cole so low down and best series Time Force's Wes and Eric high up the list.

Andros not top 10, list failed.

(He had a sword that was also a DRILL!)