Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Vib Rib posted:

In a game ostensibly/partially about building, with so many blocks and tiles that are actually pretty good looking, why do they have such a hard time letting you actually have those materials to build with?
Why can't we just have these things so we can build.

progression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Reiley posted:

Starbound: Still playing? Alpaca bowl for you, you're gonna need it.

Sadly there is no way to put fresh water in your bong(this is by design ).

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

boo_radley posted:

Sadly there is no way to put fresh water in your bong(this is by design ).

That is because bongsdrills and pickaxes are designed to be better than a bowl matter manipulator, but are consumable.

Actually, I sort of like the matter manipulator system now. Just not the quests to unlock it to not-annoying levels. I enjoy being able to mine a hole my character can fit through, my biggest gripe about Terraria.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

please don't use drugs

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
starbound is

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RottenK posted:

starbound is
but just barely

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Can we have the op updated to remove all the references to this being a decent or interesting game with any chance of being good? I think we need a big and legit disclaimer there.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

oddium posted:

please don't use drugs

But I finally mined enough uranium to get a tier 5 bubbler :(

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
This might be a bit late but good lord that farming update seems like rear end. I think the entire point of it is to give different planets different benefits for going/building on them. With this probably being the first of many. That said, automating farming by building a colony on a rainy planet just seems dumb and tedious, especially if they're going for the idea that each planet type can give you different benefits. You'd wind up needing to teleporter/fly around to several different planets just to do/pick up stuff.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I wish I'd never given money for this product. Not that I care about the money -- hindsight excluded, I've wasted far more money for dumber reasons. I just wish that I hadn't participated in the monstrous overfunding that this project suffered from. Had they actually needed to make a sellable product to get money, maybe we'd have seen results out of this rapidly evaporating mountain of potential.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Do they even have some cover story on why the gently caress these updates are taking so long? They're seriously not that big or noteworthy but they still take like 6+ months apiece.
THICK AND FAST

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gimbal lock posted:

I wish I'd never given money for this product. Not that I care about the money -- hindsight excluded, I've wasted far more money for dumber reasons. I just wish that I hadn't participated in the monstrous overfunding that this project suffered from. Had they actually needed to make a sellable product to get money, maybe we'd have seen results out of this rapidly evaporating mountain of potential.

i paid for towns one night for some reason, so i have a hard time caring about paying money for starbound since at least starbound can be modded to add something vaguely resembling entertainment.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Gimbal lock posted:

I wish I'd never given money for this product.

This.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I don't regret giving money to Starbound because the soundtrack is really nice. :3:

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
I don't regret it so far, even if I had to modify it a lot to make it less lovely. It's fun to be on a server with people I like :3: I'm building a hydroponic bio-garden on the surface of an ocean and working on an underwater lab, later tonight. The server we have only gets two or three people on it, but it's enough not to feel lonely.

It's not too terrible, but I try to stay positive.

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007
I really like the music system, and even though I've probably spent more time messing with that than playing the game, I wouldn't be doing if I hadn't have bought the game, so I don't regret it. What I do regret is buying copies for my friends, who played with me once and never again.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
The small starbound server had a lovely night with about 4 or 5 goons, and it resulted in some wonderful, horrible things.

This is the Rainbow Unicorn Palace, based on the very first server-wide hubworld. :kimchi:
((Bob requested screenshots- we must share this with the thread))

To travel to RUP, you must first traverse the tunnel of transgender acceptance-

Stop to admire the beautiful Unifountain-

Entertain the princess upon her throne of pain. Dance, Puppets, Dance (revolution)!

The Dining room is cozy and private-

The bedrooms are very 'prosh'...

we boast a fully stocked armory...

AND A RIVER FILLED WITH THE BLOOD OF THOSE WHO HAVE FAILED THE UNICORN TRIBUNAL!!!

....so many horrible, wonderful things can happen if enough assholes get together in one game. :allears:

Tomorrow: i built a secret lab and two goons argued over its wiring for nearly an hour!

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 25, 2015

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i was running through the desert on a glowing rabbit while shooting bees at zombies desperately hunting a meteor that had just fallen

terraria is a much, much better game

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
My second LP of Starbound, this time on Unstable. Part of me is doing this so you don't have to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfwgPbVDlX4

I would love/appreciate your feedback.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3eez67/what_happened_to_starbounds_steam_reviews/ctely45

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's so easy to add content to the game, even if all you have is the modding tools! Also updates are coming thick and fast!

Which explains why in all the time since release, patches have been a loving desolate wasteland.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I'd be a lot more interested in an explanation for why moving toward the mouse cursor is a different speed than moving away from it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I have to say, If i decided not to spend enough money to get the game plus the soundtrack before it came out,I could have used that to buy cheap liquor instead of buying it and playing it in the hopes that this game was going to somehow supercede terraria in creativity.

What we got instead was a product not even the creators know how they want it finished. This is the pure essence of early access.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

King Lazer posted:

I'd be a lot more interested in an explanation for why moving toward the mouse cursor is a different speed than moving away from it.

Because otherwise people would just ranged kite forever!

Except the crushingly limited energy system means that tactic is bad against most things anyway because you get roughly two shots before going dry and god forbid if you want to use a tech in combat as well.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Chucklefish had a stream going on yesterday (they actually had two separate ones going on back to back); the funniest thing about it was Tiy absolutely refusing to be caught on camera so you had 4 or 5 people talking to somebody that you never saw for over an hour and a half.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Early access is a bad place to put yourself as a developer unless you have a very specific plan.

A game only gets one launch day, whether that's early access or official launch.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

mutata posted:

Early access is a bad place to put yourself as a developer unless you have a very specific plan.

A game only gets one launch day, whether that's early access or official launch.

Made a shitton out of never finishing a game and selling it based on the promise of what it could be seems like it worked out well for the developers.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Kanos posted:

Because otherwise people would just ranged kite forever!

Except the crushingly limited energy system means that tactic is bad against most things anyway because you get roughly two shots before going dry and god forbid if you want to use a tech in combat as well.

Plus energy dash doesn't care which way you're facing. Maybe they were afraid combat was too engaging when it was possible to bob and weave to avoid taking damage, or that people might have fun jumping around?

Sorry all, I'm just ticked off about this crappy change.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I really wish that I could believe this post but...

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

So did they get rid of their PR person who was scared of public relations?

InsertGenericName
Dec 13, 2011

"Ya see, bobby? Smoooooooth" - Hank hill.
I still play the game sometimes - I think it's pretty fun. Can't wait for when the game gets completed, I hope to play it more!

..But it did take them long enough to put the damned Novakids in..

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

Made a shitton out of never finishing a game and selling it based on the promise of what it could be seems like it worked out well for the developers.

I guess so, but I'm pretty sure they wanted to actually make a good game. Early access is not inherently conducive to making a good game, quite the opposite.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh this is like the "fun fridays" my boss puts out. "Hello Procketeers! I just wanted to say all of those mistakes, you were totally right about those, and we're totally going to fix them! If you strike, I'll fire you and your family will starve. Forgive Me! The future is great!"

blech

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

starbound is the 'weekend at bernie's' of the videogame world

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Kly posted:

So did they get rid of their PR person who was scared of public relations?

No, he posts still

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There is no other place for Interstellaria chat, so I wanted to mention that it's a really fun little thing, it's got a similar art style and is set on multiple planets, but otherwise it has next to nothing in common with starbound. You start out with literally nothing and after surviving some horrible events you come into your own spaceship with a small crew, and set out to unravel the mysteries of space. It has a cool story, and while the individual game systems are nothing special, it manages to blend simple RPG mechanics, with a sims-style crew management simulator, and some fun space barbie/space dollhouse stuff for your ship and crew, and some RTS-lite combat. I like it quite a lot, but it's begging for more depth. It's worth its price, though.

As for Starbound, the way goons whine about games you would think nothing is good. Starbound isn't great, but it's entirely playable, once. Problem is a bunch of us played it already, and a bunch of you appear to be expecting terraria style updates and overhauls. It has very little staying power once you've mastered all the bosses and collected/crafted the loot. Oh well, I still have enough hours logged on where I was having fun, I can't say it wasn't worth it.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

hemophilia posted:

As for Starbound, the way goons whine about games you would think nothing is good. Starbound isn't great, but it's entirely playable, once. Problem is a bunch of us played it already, and a bunch of you appear to be expecting terraria style updates and overhauls. It has very little staying power once you've mastered all the bosses and collected/crafted the loot. Oh well, I still have enough hours logged on where I was having fun, I can't say it wasn't worth it.

How does it feel having absolutely no standards at all

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

How does it feel having absolutely no standards at all

I dunno, what's it like to be that salty about a video game? Starbound was just terraria in space that my friends were playing, when it came out on steam. We did everything, had our fun, and moved on. Starbound isn't that bad when you play it that way. If you hate-watch the devs expecting a content drip like terraria, from developers who aren't the terraria developers, yeah you're gonna be mad as hell but personally I got $20 or $30 or whatever this cost' worth of game played.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
You want to know why Starbound gets on my nerves? Because it's gotten worse. The promise of early access is "hey here is this game we're working on, you can start playing it and it will get better over time! We'll listen to your suggestions and work in a direction to make as many people as possible happy." Not only is Starbound creeping along at a ludicrously slow pace the game is getting worse. Yeah the first versions were fun briefly but there just wasn't enough meat there. Which was fine, it was early access and there was a lot of promise there.

Instead what got added was some idiotic boss fights, idiotic grind, and incredibly stupid gating that you can get past. The game is a slog, combat is boring, and you can't even really build anything interesting. The game is significantly worse now than it was when it was first out. That's what's aggravating. I look at the state of the game and think to myself "I would not have bought this if i knew this was what I would be getting."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

hemophilia posted:

Ow. Owwwwww. Stop that.

• Locked thread