Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Movistar are going to wait till 1km from the top and put a token dig in aren't they?

Which Valverde will close down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
There was an attack near the peak, but Froome stayed with them. I think tomorrow is their plan. Problem with that is that it has to be pretty dramatic, as they obviously can't settle for gaining just 30 seconds or whatever.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Brush your teeth Bardet, god drat.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is it time they mess with the formula of the Tour a bit? These big mountain stages as the showpieces are just kind of dull.

The first week of rain, crosswinds, cobbles, punchy climbs and even the TTT was much more interesting and ultimately way more impactful on the GC this year and last year.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They need to find a mountain stage with downhill cobbles and move the tour to March so it's windy and raining.

Last Man standing to claim the prize in Paris.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

peanut- posted:

It's all going ballistic in the coveted "best Frenchman in the race" tournament

You mean 80th place? (because the French are so bad, that that's the kind of position you'd expect the best one to be in)

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

peanut- posted:

Is it time they mess with the formula of the Tour a bit? These big mountain stages as the showpieces are just kind of dull.

The first week of rain, crosswinds, cobbles, punchy climbs and even the TTT was much more interesting and ultimately way more impactful on the GC this year and last year.

I would like to see a change that makes it so you don't have to be deathly skinny to win.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Give everybody weight handicaps like they do with the ponies.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

peanut- posted:

Just move the tour permanently to Yorkshire, they have all that every day :P

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

goatface posted:

Give everybody weight handicaps like they do with the ponies.

Good sir, we bronies do not consider it a handicap.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
On mountain routes, let some riders use tandems.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
All bikes used must be set up like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
12 hilly stages and only one HC top finish might be an interesting experiment

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How about: instead of riding a bike, they have to compete in an eating contest, and whoever eats the most hot dogs wins.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They have to do both. Winner is the guy who completes the mountain stage quickest after eating 25 hotdogs in three minutes.

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

How about : instead of riding a bike, they have to compete in an eating contest, and whoever eats the most hot dogs wins.

goatface posted:

They have to do both. Winner is the guy who completes the mountain stage quickest after eating 25 hotdogs in three minutes.

Horner confirms comeback.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Actually, it's in France. Replace the hotdogs with appropriate regional specialities. Maybe some people excel at cheese stages while others are better at the Bordeaux wineries.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Yeah maybe a monkey cheese eating contest

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Phlegmish posted:

How about : instead of riding a bike, they have to compete in an eating contest, and whoever eats the most hot dogs wins.

Le Tour de Franks

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Make it an audax. Whole route with a time cutoff of 14 days. Rolling road blocks so if you arrive outside (before or after) the allotted time then welp you can descend in traffic.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Moto that hit Fuglsang was really going for it today:
http://gfycat.com/ColorfulKindGeese

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Rojkir posted:

Moto that hit Fuglsang was really going for it today:
http://gfycat.com/ColorfulKindGeese

Hard to say from the footage but swerving in front of Hesjedal was bad, but he got away with it, then Fuglsang seems to just swerve into the bike. Maybe he should be on the horn?

Those guys are crazy though, in fact I was at a TDF stage where one of the motos killed a fan a while back (didn't see it)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Wow, what a dickhead

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
He's been thrown out of the tour for the last few stages.

Not for hitting Fulgsang, but for driving away from Barguil.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

serious gaylord posted:

He's been thrown out of the tour for the last few stages.

Not for hitting Fulgsang, but for driving away from Barguil.

lol

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/yymm6886/status/608997039486042112 lol

Ok this actually owns though https://twitter.com/yymm6886/status/582363636288462849 the phone wallpaper one, god drat twitter is confusing

African AIDS cum fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 24, 2015

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Wait, people actually think that stages through the Netherlands, England, and Belgium are more interesting than the Pyrenees and Alps? Blame Sky for loving up the beauty of a mountain finish, not the mountain itself. I'll take Cadel Evans slow grind up the mountain, every time over watching Peter Sagan cheese the green jersey competition (I love Sagan, but still).

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sky certainly don't help, but the mountains weren't particularly interesting last year either. I'm not saying they shouldn't do any mountain stages, but the whole thing of stacking loads of them at the end and expecting that to produce a great race doesn't seem to be working that well. The more varied stuff in the first week that forced the super skinny climbers out of their comfort zone was fun and has ended up being more important so far.

But then the Giro was good, so maybe it is just Sky's fault.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

sky is controlling the race as per usual of course (and don't get me wrong, it's generally awful stuff to watch), but I think you have to blame Movistar and to some degree tinkoff-saxo for the garbage these mountain stages are. saxo are doing dumb tactical decisions rendering them with little chance of doing any damage, but movistar are just awful. they are basically functioning as part of the sky-train at this point, constantly chasing down any attempt from others instead of letting sky do the work. they're essentially cowards or morons playing for second place, and it's awful to watch. still two stages to go, so maybe they have some master plan with quintana (or valverde lol) taking 4 minutes or whatever up a major climb today or tomorrow, but i wouldn't bet on it

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Froome wants to win Alp D'huez so todays the day for Quintana to launch an attack. After today there aint no chance.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its pissing it down and Contador has attacked already.

Valverde and Nibali too. Why hasnt the coverage started!!!

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 24, 2015

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
I'm currently checking if Movistar is owned by Murdoch right now.

serious gaylord posted:

Its pissing it down and Contador has attacked already.

Valverde and Nibali too. Why hasnt the coverage started!!!

The webstreams are running here.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 24, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ive got eurosport mobile on my tablet and its still showing the pre coverage interviews.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
ITV 4 is live

Froome is already down to Thomas only

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This could be the stage where they crack him.

I mean if Valverde doesnt close down the attacks later on his behalf of course.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I'm hype

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

I can't get over the Zenon Jaskuła gears Thomas is turning, his knees must hate him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

What do you think? Contador going off at the bottom of Glandon?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

this is how you race, isolate the man from his team and then grind him down. I don't know why everyone keeps trying to win the race by following his lead until paris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They've split him from Thomas which is the most important bit. Poels won't be able to chase everything down on his todd, and Porte/Konig look like they've given up for the day already.