Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Pinterest Mom posted:

A
B
O
L
I
T
I
O
N

B
O
Y
S

I guess that solves his "20 vacant Senate seats" problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Dreylad posted:

lol literal craftbeer marxists, awesome

Oh, you laugh, but beer politics is Serious Business for Marxists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_Lovers_Party_%28Russia%29

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Their image is tainted and toxic now, I'd be surprised if they win nomination.

Ikantski posted:

Speaking of fake center-leftists, Wynne is going to wait 3 months to call Patrick Brown's by-election. Hilarious.

in case you forgot, when Brown won

I agree it sucks but politicians are petty liars.

PT6A posted:

How the gently caress do you manage that? Most of my jeans end up falling apart somehow after a year (expensive, cheap, doesn't seem to matter) and it's rarely cost-effective to fix.

My AE or GAP jeans last 3 years or more.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SpannerX posted:

Odd, I've got some Kirkland jeans (they were made in Canada) that are close to 10 years old that I wear on a regular basis, and a pair of Levis Silver tabs that have to be over 20 years old, but I don't wear those anymore, too odd of a cut (think '80's style, ugh, should just get rid of those, Christ I'm old).

Levi's seem to have a recurring issue with the belt loops coming unstitched, it's happened to me a few times, exclusively with Levi's. I bought a pair of expensive "fashion" jeans, and they lasted all of a year before one of the back pockets started to physically separate from the jeans.

Oddly, I've gotten longer wear out of jeans from Old Navy. Now I just buy the cheap poo poo (but I prefer Zara over Old Navy now), because either it will last longer than the expensive poo poo (in which case it's a good product) or it will fail in roughly the same amount of time (in which case I'll just buy another, because it's literally 10% of the price of more expensive jeans).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm thinking it might be a good thing to have a new thread for the election. It's possible it will attract new posters who aren't familiar with the CanPol thread and I'd like to have an OP that reflects current issues that are likely to be at play in the election, like C-51 or Trudeau's tax policy proposals or the recession/balanced budget/PP handing out cheques issues or the NDP's proposals for national childcare and potentially an anti-Harper coalition. Our current OP will be a year out of date by the time the election happens and a lot has changed in CanPol since then.

I'm happy to make it and could put it together this weekend unless someone else really wants to take on this burden. If you guys do want me to make it, I'm open to thread title ideas (I'm personally partial to CanPol 2015 Election Special: Where everything's made up and the polls don't matter) and will also solicit ideas of what issues to include in the OP that may be relevant to the election, and also funny pictures of the party leaders and other important political figures who could influence the election like Notley, Wynne, or Duffy. Badly photoshopped pictures of them wearing crowns or suits of armour would be extra great for, uh, reasons.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Careful guys. You're about to summon Pants Donkey from the Politoons thread.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

vyelkin posted:

and also funny pictures of the party leaders and other important political figures who could influence the election like Notley, Wynne, or Duffy. Badly photoshopped pictures of them wearing crowns or suits of armour would be extra great for, uh, reasons.
You will definitely have two of the three by Monday. It may be hard to find a source image for a suit of armour designed for a five-hundred pound man. Is there anything else you'd like?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

lonelywurm posted:

You will definitely have two of the three by Monday. It may be hard to find a source image for a suit of armour designed for a five-hundred pound man. Is there anything else you'd like?

King Henry VIII had a suit of armour made for his girth.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
The OP wouldn't be complete without DDM's walk of shame.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
New thread for August through to the election. Who's going to do it this time?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
come to think of it it might be better if battle master posts it and all the photos are of rodents in costume

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pants are tyranny.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

BattleMaster posted:

King Henry VIII had a suit of armour made for his girth.

If video games are fair game, then Dark Souls have a few sets: https://www.google.ca/search?q=onio...iw=1920&bih=920

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Levi's seem to have a recurring issue with the belt loops coming unstitched, it's happened to me a few times, exclusively with Levi's. I bought a pair of expensive "fashion" jeans, and they lasted all of a year before one of the back pockets started to physically separate from the jeans.

Oddly, I've gotten longer wear out of jeans from Old Navy. Now I just buy the cheap poo poo (but I prefer Zara over Old Navy now), because either it will last longer than the expensive poo poo (in which case it's a good product) or it will fail in roughly the same amount of time (in which case I'll just buy another, because it's literally 10% of the price of more expensive jeans).

You, my friend, need to purchase a pair of Naked and Famous raw denim jeans, probs one of their thicker fabrics. They use Japanese Denim (ie. Old school selvedge on looms, it's the best denim), made in :canada:, and look great. My Weird Guy's from them have 3 years of wear and look glorious, with only a quick and super cheap repair when the crotch blew out 2 years in of heavy use

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

ZShakespeare posted:

come to think of it it might be better if battle master posts it and all the photos are of rodents in costume

it should absolutely be pictures of cats with stripes and cats with spots

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Meet the cast:

The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada, Leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, and alleged kitten eater, demonstrating his party's new approach to attack ads against Justin Trudeau.

The Honourable Thomas Mulcair, Leader of the Official Opposition, Leader of the New Democratic Party, and Commie-Fascist-Populist-Marxist-Stalinist-Nazi-Champion-of-Hard-Working-Families-Tony-Blair-Praising Leftie Loon, assuming his true form.

, alternately Charles Atlas Before Picture, alternately post-fight Sylvester Stallone, alternately every TA you ever had, alternately the king of pot (there ain't none higher), alternately John Cusack fishing for ethnic votes, alternately a terror from Stephen Harper's nightmares (and now yours too)
Justin Trudeau, Leader of the Liberal Party, Unqualified and in-WAY-over-his-head Prime-Minister-Elect, inviting you to have dinner with him and pitch him a policy idea should you happen to win his most recent fundraising contest.

Elizabeth May, Leader of the Green Party, demonstrating how hard you should laugh when someone calls her the House of Commons's conscience.

The Queen

Dean Del Mastro

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Meet the cast:

The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada, Leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, and alleged kitten eater, demonstrating his party's new approach to attack ads against Justin Trudeau.

The Honourable Thomas Mulcair, Leader of the Official Opposition, Leader of the New Democratic Party, and Commie-Fascist-Populist-Marxist-Stalinist-Nazi-Champion-of-Hard-Working-Families-Tony-Blair-Praising Leftie Loon, assuming his true form.

, alternately Charles Atlas Before Picture, alternately post-fight Sylvester Stallone, alternately every TA you ever had, alternately the king of pot (there ain't none higher), alternately John Cusack fishing for ethnic votes, alternately a terror from Stephen Harper's nightmares (and now yours too)
Justin Trudeau, Leader of the Liberal Party, Unqualified and in-WAY-over-his-head Prime-Minister-Elect, inviting you to have dinner with him and pitch him a policy idea should you happen to win his most recent fundraising contest.

Elizabeth May, Leader of the Green Party, demonstrating how hard you should laugh when someone calls her the House of Commons's conscience.

The Queen

Dean Del Mastro
Well, I had my go, but I know when I've been beaten.

If anyone wants Lady Notley, Duchess of Alberta:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Canada Votes 2015: Room for every Tom, Dick, and Hairy

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

lonelywurm posted:

is this a real fuckin picture how did i miss this

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Canada Votes 2015: Don't bother answering your phone, we're all voting in Guelph

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

El Scotch posted:

Pants are tyranny.

I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

jsoh posted:

is this a real fuckin picture how did i miss this
It's real in the sense that I made it in Photoshop from two other pictures, only one of which featured Rachel Notley. I'm sorry if I ruined a happy illusion.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Melian Dialogue posted:

In what world are the BC Liberals centre-left? Jesus McColough, stick to making cartoons. and having a stupid mustache.

I would never describe the BC Liberals as centre-left, but somehow they did create the carbon tax (opposed by the BC NDP!), which has been excellent and effective. It has not damaged the BC economy at all. It's baffling to me that it hasn't caught on with the other provinces and the Federal NDP.

Gordon Campbell may have been a drunk driver and rear end in a top hat, but he did this one good thing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lonelywurm posted:

It's real in the sense that I made it in Photoshop from two other pictures, only one of which featured Rachel Notley. I'm sorry if I ruined a happy illusion.

I was really hoping she was a big time LARPer or something :(

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

http://globalnews.ca/video/2121731/shocking-case-of-racist-cabbie-abuse-in-calgary-caught-on-video
http://globalnews.ca/video/2124167/rcmp-reopen-investigation-into-disturbing-case-of-racist-abuse-of-calgary-cabbie/

Being a cab driver in Calgary seems like a swell job. Also great job by the RCMP deciding not to do anything when the first incident happened and now deciding to "re-open" the case only after Global puts it on the 6 o'clock news, two years later. :canada:

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I was really hoping she was a big time LARPer or something :(
I'll take both posts as a compliment then, because all I can see is that her head's a little too big and her neck's kinda weird, especially around her chin, but damned if I'm spending more than 20 minutes on a Canpol joke.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lonelywurm posted:

This is perfect for my weird OP, please make more.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PT6A posted:

How the gently caress do you manage that? Most of my jeans end up falling apart somehow after a year (expensive, cheap, doesn't seem to matter) and it's rarely cost-effective to fix.

Despite the rap they got/get, Abercrombie made seriously good, solid clothes. I still have flannel shirts that are about as old, whenever I worry about them getting too worn I go on eBay and look for ones that are from that period and pick them up for a couple bucks.

Mederlock posted:

You, my friend, need to purchase a pair of Naked and Famous raw denim jeans, probs one of their thicker fabrics. They use Japanese Denim (ie. Old school selvedge on looms, it's the best denim), made in :canada:, and look great. My Weird Guy's from them have 3 years of wear and look glorious, with only a quick and super cheap repair when the crotch blew out 2 years in of heavy use

This is good stuff too: as soon as they release them, I'm picking up a pair of Unbranded (more "standard" brand owned by N&F) 21oz'ers. I bought a pair a few years ago and they're amazing, but they shrink like crazy from just washing in cold water and hanging to dry :(

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

jm20 posted:

Their image is tainted and toxic now, I'd be surprised if they win nomination.
well...

quote:

Adams appears to have the advantage over her sole opponent, lawyer Marco Mendicino. Sources in both camps say Adams signed up about 2,800 new Liberal members in five months, while Mendicino enlisted only 1,800, despite campaigning since last year.

Mendicino is challenging "hundreds" of Adams' signups. It'll be an exciting Sunday~

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

drat, he did well for himself. Particularly for a fellow I can't look at without feeling some sense of revulsion. Maybe I should reopen my CPC membership?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My daily chuckle

:allears: Garneau

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

A good interview, Chris Hadfield needs to run in Milton.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

lonelywurm posted:

JT's gotta be feeling pretty lonely out there in the dreamland where everything's fine with the Senate except the Senators.

Or, perhaps, it's due to the fact that a full 50% of provinces said they don't want to open the constitution to do abolition, including Ontario and Quebec, which means it's literally a dead in the water idea. So you know, abolition sounds nice and all, but literally is impossible right now.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

bunnyofdoom posted:

Or, perhaps, it's due to the fact that a full 50% of provinces said they don't want to open the constitution to do abolition, including Ontario and Quebec, which means it's literally a dead in the water idea. So you know, abolition sounds nice and all, but literally is impossible right now.

I still don't understand his stance of 'giving up' on that issue instead of promising a review and trying to engage the provinces after an election to see if there is capacity for change.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

bunnyofdoom posted:

Maybe we could just Office Space them and slowly move their workplace to the basement of Barbarella's or something until they stop coming to work.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

bunnyofdoom posted:

Or, perhaps, it's due to the fact that a full 50% of provinces said they don't want to open the constitution to do abolition, including Ontario and Quebec, which means it's literally a dead in the water idea. So you know, abolition sounds nicely and all, but literally is impossible right now.

We were never going to get rid of the Senate before we got rid of all the Liberals.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

bunnyofdoom posted:

On the other hand perhaps a campaign built on the population's support for abolishing the senate might force those provincial governments to change their stances. If the CPC switches its stance towards abolition, you'd have pretty strong popular pressure in Ontario for flipping the province's stance. gently caress, just tell the anglo provinces that Quebec really, really doesn't want it and they'll jump at the chance.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Challenges are flying between camps, sounds like something stinks.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/07/23/eglinton-lawrence-liberal-nomination-race-heads-toward-bitter-end.html

quote:

OTTAWA—The Liberal nomination battle in Eglinton-Lawrence looks to be heading to a bitter end on Sunday, with rival campaigns for Eve Adams and Marco Mendicino raising questions about hundreds of new members.
The Star has learned that formal challenges of hundreds of members signed up by the Adams campaign, as well as an unknown number of new Mendicino supporters, have been filed with the Liberal riding association.

I won't be surprised to see this one end up in court.

e: Also :laffo: at how hosed it must be for this to be in the press. I mean there's no way this reflects well on the party ~3 months before the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

vyelkin posted:

I'm thinking it might be a good thing to have a new thread for the election. It's possible it will attract new posters who aren't familiar with the CanPol thread and I'd like to have an OP that reflects current issues that are likely to be at play in the election, like C-51 or Trudeau's tax policy proposals or the recession/balanced budget/PP handing out cheques issues or the NDP's proposals for national childcare and potentially an anti-Harper coalition. Our current OP will be a year out of date by the time the election happens and a lot has changed in CanPol since then.

I'm happy to make it and could put it together this weekend unless someone else really wants to take on this burden. If you guys do want me to make it, I'm open to thread title ideas (I'm personally partial to CanPol 2015 Election Special: Where everything's made up and the polls don't matter) and will also solicit ideas of what issues to include in the OP that may be relevant to the election, and also funny pictures of the party leaders and other important political figures who could influence the election like Notley, Wynne, or Duffy. Badly photoshopped pictures of them wearing crowns or suits of armour would be extra great for, uh, reasons.

Please do this. I'm only here for election talk, and I frankly don't give a poo poo about highways in ontario or the stampede or blah blah blah.

• Locked thread