Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Probably a dumb question but, once I attach a purple glyph or signet to a weapon or talisman can I still upgrade them or can I only upgrade unattached glyphs/signets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

robziel posted:

Probably a dumb question but, once I attach a purple glyph or signet to a weapon or talisman can I still upgrade them or can I only upgrade unattached glyphs/signets?

The glyph can be upgraded from 10.0 -> 10.5 while installed. It does have to be a custom glyph, purchased with black bullion or black marks. I'm fairly certain signets can not be upgraded while installed.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

HughGRect posted:

The glyph can be upgraded from 10.0 -> 10.5 while installed. It does have to be a custom glyph, purchased with black bullion or black marks. I'm fairly certain signets can not be upgraded while installed.

Or the glyph can be created via a Nightwatch Glyph Toolkit. You then go to the Black Bullion vendor and buy a custom glyph upgrade kit.

I think issue 12 is going to change it so that all purple stuff is now custom.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Ah ha, excellent thank you.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Currently, there's two types of upgradeable gear. There's Custom gear, which is bought with black bullion you get in nightmare dungeons, and there's Venice gear which is bought with black marks you get from pvp. Upgradeable glyphs come either from the pvp vendors, also for black marks, or are crafted with nightwatch glyph toolkits that drop in nightmare dungeons.

Regardless of which method you got the glyph by, it's the type of gear you put it in that matters. So for example if you make a glyph with a nightwatch kit and then put it in a venice talisman or weapon, you'll need the venice upgrade kits from the pvp vendor to upgrade it despite it not being a pvp glyph originally.

This is changing in issue 12, due sometime next month, to remove that distinction along with removing the different currencies. Everything will give black bullion, everything will be Custom and all kits will work equally on all upgradeable gear no matter where you get the kits or gear in question from.

The purple talismans you get from running issue arcs the first time or from the related issue vendors are considered Custom, and come already upgraded once to QL10.1. Note that in the case of issue 8 (scenarios) there's two vendors in the Sunken Library that sell purple gear. One of them sells the three issue specific waist talismans and the signets for them, and also sells the augment attuning and upgrade kits. The other sells generic QL10 purple gear which CANNOT be upgraded. Don't get caught out. Upgradeable gear will be explicitly labelled as either Custom or Venice, if it's not then it isn't upgradable and you shouldn't waste an upgradable glyph in it.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Alright, so my curiosity is getting the best of me and I'm trying this game out (Didn't want to wait around so I grabbed a trial key off the communal topic on the steam forums), is it a bad idea to get into now with almost no goon presence and the like?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Alright, so my curiosity is getting the best of me and I'm trying this game out (Didn't want to wait around so I grabbed a trial key off the communal topic on the steam forums), is it a bad idea to get into now with almost no goon presence and the like?

Hell no. Play the game! Join the chat channel #sanctuary to see the community.

Its a great game, hope you have fun!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
This game has an amazing story and atmosphere so picking it up, playing through the story and then quitting once you hit the dungeon endgame part is a perfectly good approach to it. Not that the dungeons are bad, they're pretty good too just not worth sticking around and grinding. Just do yourself a favor and skip issue 8.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, the population's quite health and there's still a fair few people running the low "level", normal dungeons.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Random things I've picked up from skimming the test forms:

The bullion cap will be around 1000 I've seem as high as 1500
There's a weekly cap on how much you can earn
The Fusang missions are being changed with shorter timers and smaller rewards
The cost of items is going up by a factor of 10, something that was 20 bullion is now 200
A ton of pvp changes
Conversion rates have not yet been shown or announced

more here https://forums-tl.thesecretworld.com/index.php

Nothing is final and who knows what'll actually happen.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Alright, so apparently trials don't get the two extra days for doing 30 missions anymore, so I haven't even touched it for the past day or so as I'm locked out and still on the fence on whether or not I want to fully dive into this thing. From what I can tell, the story is alright and kinda charming, but wasn't exactly finding much fun in playing it, as I finally realized that this game is like super traditional MMO and I seem to generally not mix well with those. For reference, I did pretty much every mission in Kingsmouth besides the dungeon, and ended up slamming down all of Innsmouth Academy in Savage Coast as well, as a Rifle/Shotgun user.

That said, I still acknowledge that maybe I'm approaching the combat flow wrong or perhaps burnt myself out slogging through quests too fast. You can get an idea of what my last combat setup was here, some light sanctuary analysis implied I really didn't know what I was doing. Sanctuary seems helpful and all but I'm guessing their advice will mostly be useless or too vague for an early game player, so would rather get some goon opinions on this.

Plus, I don't even know what to think about the rather insane sounding endgame, or what possibly negative changes the new issue next month will bring about.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

robziel posted:

Random things I've picked up from skimming the test forms:

The bullion cap will be around 1000 I've seem as high as 1500
There's a weekly cap on how much you can earn
The Fusang missions are being changed with shorter timers and smaller rewards
The cost of items is going up by a factor of 10, something that was 20 bullion is now 200
A ton of pvp changes
Conversion rates have not yet been shown or announced

more here https://forums-tl.thesecretworld.com/index.php

Nothing is final and who knows what'll actually happen.

So even if I came back now instead of grinding nightmares for 40 days, I would have to grind them for 400 days. They just know how to get the players back.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

So even if I came back now instead of grinding nightmares for 40 days, I would have to grind them for 400 days. They just know how to get the players back.

:lol:

Maybe they're giving 10x the bull... hahahahaha no.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Alright, so apparently trials don't get the two extra days for doing 30 missions anymore, so I haven't even touched it for the past day or so as I'm locked out and still on the fence on whether or not I want to fully dive into this thing. From what I can tell, the story is alright and kinda charming, but wasn't exactly finding much fun in playing it, as I finally realized that this game is like super traditional MMO and I seem to generally not mix well with those. For reference, I did pretty much every mission in Kingsmouth besides the dungeon, and ended up slamming down all of Innsmouth Academy in Savage Coast as well, as a Rifle/Shotgun user.

That said, I still acknowledge that maybe I'm approaching the combat flow wrong or perhaps burnt myself out slogging through quests too fast. You can get an idea of what my last combat setup was here, some light sanctuary analysis implied I really didn't know what I was doing. Sanctuary seems helpful and all but I'm guessing their advice will mostly be useless or too vague for an early game player, so would rather get some goon opinions on this.

Plus, I don't even know what to think about the rather insane sounding endgame, or what possibly negative changes the new issue next month will bring about.

If you're interested in getting the secret world discounted, it goes on sale during the steam sales events.
Not sure how many people bought extra copies for trading during last months steam summer event, wouldn't hurt to check the steam trading/reseller threads.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

If you're interested in getting the secret world discounted, it goes on sale during the steam sales events.
Not sure how many people bought extra copies for trading during last months steam summer event, wouldn't hurt to check the steam trading/reseller threads.

I'm not sure if I wanna mess with Steam on this one, really. Also it would seem that Steam considers the ultimate edition of the game as a DLC that requires you to own the base game before you can purchase/redeem it, which kind of complicates things.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I seem to recall them selling the ultimate edition in their own shop, both on the site and in game so you can still get it anyway.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Morglon posted:

I seem to recall them selling the ultimate edition in their own shop, both on the site and in game so you can still get it anyway.

Yeah, it looks like there isn't any alternative but to plunk the full $60 down for ultimate on their official site. Steam is kinda crossed out due to some strange technicality in how their system handles the ultimate edition (I'm not going to buy the base game just so I can be enabled to buy the ultimate edition that is supposed to include the base game in the first place.), and ultimately you're just paying for a FunCom native key and game client anyways. And of course trying to cheap out and buy a key elsewhere would end in disappointment and wasted money.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 28, 2015

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Yeah, it looks like there isn't any alternative but to plunk the full $60 down for ultimate on their official site. Steam is kinda crossed out due to some strange technicality in how their system handles the ultimate edition (I'm not going to buy the base game just so I can be enabled to buy the ultimate edition that is supposed to include the base game in the first place.), and ultimately you're just paying for a FunCom native key and game client anyways. And of course trying to cheap out and buy a key elsewhere would end in disappointment and wasted money.

hah if you had come into the thread a little bit earlier I could of given you a free copy of the game... Sounds like you just want to try out the base game then buy the DLC later?

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Exmond posted:

hah if you had come into the thread a little bit earlier I could of given you a free copy of the game... Sounds like you just want to try out the base game then buy the DLC later?

In a way I feel like I've already done that, but buying all the DLC after the fact would cost way more than just getting it all in one go from the start, much less headache that way. I'm just floundering about and should just do it already.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

In a way I feel like I've already done that, but buying all the DLC after the fact would cost way more than just getting it all in one go from the start, much less headache that way. I'm just floundering about and should just do it already.

Well, Id buy the base game first. During a steam sale the Ultimate Edition was only $20.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

The price trackers suggest the ultimate edition was still $30 during the sale I missed by over a month. (Or rather the sale I used to get The Crew instead, another game goons don't really play anymore.) Also if I want to get into the DLC after the base game I would just have to buy the ultimate edition afterwards anyway, because buying them piecemeal would be offensively inefficient, as would be buying the base game just to turn around and buy ultimate right after. I'll just have to accept that I missed out on any possible discount and go forward from there.

But whatever, gonna stop clogging up the thread with my indecision now and get it. This mostly happened because there isn't an IRC channel or mumble/vent/whatever to discuss this game in instead of the main thread.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Not sure how legit GamesRocket.com is, but it is on sale there for 11 bucks.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

HughGRect posted:

Not sure how legit GamesRocket.com is, but it is on sale there for 11 bucks.

Base game, and yeah, don't really trust that. Think I might make a few inquiries about whether or not the steam ultimate edition can be used as a standalone purchase or not and perhaps try to probe the steam threads about it if I get some kind of word of it working that way.

edit: Got it, thanks for the tip about hitting up SA mart for a slight discount, got to save $8 on it.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 29, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Still surprised at the sheer amount of content I got in the Steam sale, honestly. It was about £25 and it took me a while to get through. I mean yeah, MMO stuff, but the story itself was interesting enough to follow.

Just a pity it had to go the multiplayer route, really. A bunch of these missions, particularly horror ones, would have been fantastic in an environment that supported them better. Imagining Tyler Freeborn's mission, or I Walk Into Empty, being done similar to something like Silent Hill. :allears:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Base game, and yeah, don't really trust that. Think I might make a few inquiries about whether or not the steam ultimate edition can be used as a standalone purchase or not and perhaps try to probe the steam threads about it if I get some kind of word of it working that way.

edit: Got it, thanks for the tip about hitting up SA mart for a slight discount, got to save $8 on it.

Glad we were able to help you save some $$.
tokyo issues sound frustrating because AEGIS upgrades appear to be infinite grinding.

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015
I stopped playing this game about two years ago, but it is by far the best MMO storytelling I've seen in over a decade of game playing.

I stopped playing for one reason, the loving Gate Keeper, who I could not beat. The good I was in fell into the trap of being an end game gear, dungeon grind guild and I not only lost interest in the game but also in the social network I was in.

I could definitely see myself playing it again, but I'll still avoid trying to get into the Epic Dungeons, unless they have made the Gate Keeper more reasonable to beat or have removed him altogether.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I qualified for Nightmares last night as a healer and it didn't seem as bad as I remember at least. If nothing else you can use the wing ability from Issue 11's ending to cheese it, but that does mean slogging through Issue 11. :v:

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Bluddwolf posted:

I stopped playing this game about two years ago, but it is by far the best MMO storytelling I've seen in over a decade of game playing.

I stopped playing for one reason, the loving Gate Keeper, who I could not beat. The good I was in fell into the trap of being an end game gear, dungeon grind guild and I not only lost interest in the game but also in the social network I was in.

I could definitely see myself playing it again, but I'll still avoid trying to get into the Epic Dungeons, unless they have made the Gate Keeper more reasonable to beat or have removed him altogether.

I don't know which you tried, but trying to do the DPS gatekeeper was impossible for me. I think I did the tanking one because the mechanics were easier for me to understand/do.

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015

TracerM17 posted:

I don't know which you tried, but trying to do the DPS gatekeeper was impossible for me. I think I did the tanking one because the mechanics were easier for me to understand/do.

Yes, I was ranged DPS / Assault Rifle build and having to run, jump, avoid instant one-shot death and shoot at the same time was impossible. The healer challenge is by design, easiest. But the combination of the difficulty of the Gate keeper for my chosen class, and the community shifting to a gear grind mentality is what made me leave the game.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Bluddwolf posted:

Yes, I was ranged DPS / Assault Rifle build and having to run, jump, avoid instant one-shot death and shoot at the same time was impossible. The healer challenge is by design, easiest. But the combination of the difficulty of the Gate keeper for my chosen class, and the community shifting to a gear grind mentality is what made me leave the game.

Ill be honest the end game is a bit interesting but the gear grind is pretty bad. Doing the same dungeons over and over again for black bullion so i can get the hottest 10.5 gear isn't interesting. I'm here for the story.

I am interested in what Issue 12/13 will do, it sounds like they are trying to get everyone at the same gear level roughly. Once things are evened out maybe we can see some new zones and content.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
The thing with issue 12 is they're shifting EVERYTHING to give Black Bullion. No more region sequins, no more issue 6/7 credits, no more aureus from scenarios. It'll ALL be varying amounts of BB. There'll be a new endgame currency, Marks of the Pantheon, that gets you the really top end stuff, but the 10.5 we have now (New cap will be 10.7, I think?) will become accessible by doing literally anything - even the criterions and fuses you need for 10.5 will be buyable for BB instead of only dropping in raids. You could farm Kingsmouth forever and eventually get it. (Though that'd be slow, obviously.) You can pvp, you can do scenarios, you can run whatever random anything you feel like doing on any given day and you'll be making some amount of progress. No more having to grind nightmares and only nightmares forever, unless you actually want to. It won't really make the gear grind any shorter, but it should make it more bearable by adding variety.

As for new content, issue 12 at launch contains a new dungeon, with a second dungeon planned for release later - sometime before issue 13, and considered part of issue 12. IE, buy issue 12 and you get one dungeon now plus the second when it's released rather than requiring a second purchase. Issue 13 on the other hand is I believe slated to be a PVP revamp of some kind.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is that dungeon balanced for players running it in 10.4+ and aegis poo poo?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Glad we were able to help you save some $$.
tokyo issues sound frustrating because AEGIS upgrades appear to be infinite grinding.

Posting again to say AEGIS is by far the dumbest design decision, it literally depowers your character in a new area to make up for them not being able to come up with a better way/time-sink to progress through content. Love the Tokyo story and the instanced missions, everything combat side and open-world in it is just terrible though

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

orcane posted:

Aegis yes, don't go by Funcoms gearing requirements. They have never been able to predict that properly, if you have trouble with Laughterhouse, then expect to have issues here. Otherwise expect another dungeon that gives a weekends worth of challenge before the cookie cutter guides trivialize it.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

orcane posted:

The elite version is supposedly doable in QL10 blues and at least 1.5 aegis stuff. The nightmare I'm not sure but yeah, I'd assume similar balancing to the penthouse fights which pretty much require 10.4 and 1.9 aegis.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

General Maximus posted:

and at least 1.5 aegis stuff.

Fate sealed, pack it up, goon Tokyo nightmares are gone forever :smithcloud:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

General Maximus posted:

The elite version is supposedly doable in QL10 blues and at least 1.5 aegis stuff. The nightmare I'm not sure but yeah, I'd assume similar balancing to the penthouse fights which pretty much require 10.4 and 1.9 aegis.

Are people having that much trouble with the penthouse? I cleared it with a grab bag of 10.2 and 3 gear and 1.4 AEGIS, and didn't think it was that terrible as long as you stayed mobile.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Kessel posted:

Are people having that much trouble with the penthouse? I cleared it with a grab bag of 10.2 and 3 gear and 1.4 AEGIS, and didn't think it was that terrible as long as you stayed mobile.

I haven't done penthouse yet but I have been playing for a while. I wonder how many people have done elite penthouse in normal gear without a geared player pulling them through?

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015
Any particular server most of you are active on? And which faction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Bluddwolf posted:

Any particular server most of you are active on? And which faction?

Server choice largely doesn't matter. You can do the solo and group pve content with anyone, regardless of server choice. Servers only matter for which PvP battlegroup you are in, and there are only two battle groups. Similar deal with factions. Only gameplay difference is which team you are in for pvp and half a dozen story missions are faction specific.

• Locked thread