Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Amazon Warehouse had 15% off, so my husband and I got a great deal on a new TV :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

hyperhazard posted:

Amazon Warehouse had 15% off, so my husband and I got a great deal on a new TV :shrug:

Got a Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB SSD 70 € off, I'm content with the sale, but that was something I already planned to buy anyway.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, which is why Walmart took over.

But Walmart has Walmart-ed themselves too much, its gotten to the point where the last two times I went to the nearest store there I didn't see a single employee. I know you're used to having 30 lines with only 2 open, but there was nobody there. People just walking in and out taking things without paying because there was nobody there to stop them or to pay to.

I had to buy something from behind a glass wall in electronics so I was like waving my hands around going "HELLOOOOO" and nobody came, so I went and stood behind the register in electronics where customers aren't supposed to be shouting "Hello, I'm doing something I'm not supposed to, somebody please come here and stop me" and still nothing.

I've heard of understaffed before but that's just ridiculous. :psyduck:

I was once at a Walmart in Rawlins WY that had no staff, complete aisles of empty shelves, and no blaze orange gear in the middle of hunting season. I asked someone where a sporting goods store was in town and they didn't understand me. I described what one was and they looked at me like a deer in the headlights. Finally I said "a place that sells guns". They became very animated and said there's one "down the road". I asked, "which road?". They replied by pointing aggressively to the west without speaking.

It turned out that the road was I80 but apparently the didn't have it together to remember that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

f#a# posted:

Pop quiz: what's wrong with this promo image for Trump that was deleted?

Here's the exciting answer!

I could get behind this. The man has vision.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Phlegmish posted:

I could get behind this. The man has vision.

Except it seems to be obscured by both the literal and figurative stars in his eyes.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, which is why Walmart took over.

But Walmart has Walmart-ed themselves too much, its gotten to the point where the last two times I went to the nearest store there I didn't see a single employee. I know you're used to having 30 lines with only 2 open, but there was nobody there. People just walking in and out taking things without paying because there was nobody there to stop them or to pay to.

I had to buy something from behind a glass wall in electronics so I was like waving my hands around going "HELLOOOOO" and nobody came, so I went and stood behind the register in electronics where customers aren't supposed to be shouting "Hello, I'm doing something I'm not supposed to, somebody please come here and stop me" and still nothing.

I've heard of understaffed before but that's just ridiculous. :psyduck:

How much did you end up stealing?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
This is more about just one specific commercial, and more of a weird marketing move than a dumb one. Close to ten years ago there had been a commercial for some kind of birth control, I forget the brand name, that featured a bunch of CGI animated women doing synchronized swimming and singing a song with the days of the week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Every-Day!! Aaa-aahhhh...) that was pretty catchy, a little annoying. Anyway, it ran for a while and then one day was replaced with the exact same commercial, but with real women instead of CGI. The exact same motions, exact same shots. I wonder if that was the original commercial and then it got rotoscoped or something with the CGI, it was that exact. I was curious about why that was done, though. I wondered if maybe the original CGI version was too uncanny valley for viewers and people found it off-putting, but it didn't seem that bad to me when I'd seen it.

Birth control commercials in general are a great topic though. Yaz pretty much was the poster child for "friends excitedly advertising really intimate products to friends" advert styles, until at some point there were severe health risks associated with the product that weren't disclosed in the ads and all of the ads got pulled (IIRC).

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

sweeperbravo posted:

This is more about just one specific commercial, and more of a weird marketing move than a dumb one. Close to ten years ago there had been a commercial for some kind of birth control, I forget the brand name, that featured a bunch of CGI animated women doing synchronized swimming and singing a song with the days of the week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Every-Day!! Aaa-aahhhh...) that was pretty catchy, a little annoying. Anyway, it ran for a while and then one day was replaced with the exact same commercial, but with real women instead of CGI. The exact same motions, exact same shots. I wonder if that was the original commercial and then it got rotoscoped or something with the CGI, it was that exact. I was curious about why that was done, though. I wondered if maybe the original CGI version was too uncanny valley for viewers and people found it off-putting, but it didn't seem that bad to me when I'd seen it.

Birth control commercials in general are a great topic though. Yaz pretty much was the poster child for "friends excitedly advertising really intimate products to friends" advert styles, until at some point there were severe health risks associated with the product that weren't disclosed in the ads and all of the ads got pulled (IIRC).

Nuvaring! Funny, I remember seeing the real-life women commercial before I saw the CGI ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFLAzbEP4T4

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

My most Walmart experience at Walmart was probably about eight years back, the time when me and a few buddies were trying to get one of their moms to buy alcohol for us. We gathered up the funds for a handle and gave her the money, then mingled toward the exit as, we assumed, she would head toward the register.

Instead, she jogged ahead of us and just walked out the door, setting off the alarm, and just kept going. A cashier saw her and yelled out, then asked us if we noticed her with any merchandise, at which point we of course shrugged our shoulders and the cashier thought "gently caress it" and gave up. We spent about another ten minutes in the parking lot trying to get our goddamn money back if she just planned to steal it from the start, but no one came out or anything.

That we weren't caught can only be explained by understaffing and intense apathy.

My most Walmart experience was back in 2004 or so hanging out in the video game aisle when barrel shaped redneck dad and his son come on by.

Son picks up whatever pokemon game was out for the system and hands it to his dad. With the most hickish accent the dad responded with "Son that look dumb as hell...do they have any hamtaros for the gamercubes?".

That dude was an awful parent.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sweeperbravo posted:

Hard to remember, but I could swear that one of those awful "excitedly overshare to the girls about birth control" ads had the lady start listing off the health risks without missing a beat.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, it was at a party and then they cap it off with "you sure know a lot about Yaz" "I didn't go to medical school for nothing!" *laughs*

Also, for the live action/rotoscope debate, I remember the live version first.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, it was at a party and then they cap it off with "you sure know a lot about Yaz" "I didn't go to medical school for nothing!" *laughs*
Oh man, I can hear/see her exact vocal expression and head movement when Ir ead this.

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Nuvaring! Funny, I remember seeing the real-life women commercial before I saw the CGI ones.

Choco1980 posted:

Also, for the live action/rotoscope debate, I remember the live version first.

I wonder if it happened to just be me with weird timing, then. I don't know what channel I would have seen the commercials on primarily but it's probable this was around the time I stopped watching a lot of kids' channels and started watching more generic/grown-up programming, so maybe I just came in after they had already been showing the CGI and then they briefly went back to the live action for some reason after a while.

IME it was like a good period of time in between the two versions, as well. Like at least a few months between me seeing the CGI and then the live action, one of those things where you actually question your memory because you kind of forgot the first thing existed.

Still I wonder why two versions were made. If the CGI did come after the live action, was it so they didn't have to pay the actresses in the live action every time the commercial aired anymore? I didn't think that was how ads worked but I literally know nothing about the process.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
I came across a store that had 5o+ versions of olive oil. That's all. All kinds of flavors and everything, but how can you pay rent like that?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Not a stupid decision in marketing, but Taylor Swift's new album cover isn't going over well in China.

T.S. 1989

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010
There was a new burger place that opened nearby about 5 years ago. Was going for the whole 50s style thing. I went there one day and tried to order an olive burger and was told they couldn't make those. Only what was on the menu. The menu wasn't much more than:

Hamburger
Cheeseburger
Hot Dog
Fries
Pop
Shakes

I ended up just getting cheeseburgers which weren't all that great anyhow. Place closed about a month or so after opening. Was talking to a friend and he said he went there quite a few times and ate all kinds of things.

Apparently there was a "secret menu" but you had to go online, find their website, (which wasn't mentioned in the restaurant or on any of their stuff) and jump through a few more hoops to get the list of code words.

I guess it was meant to be a fun game for the local college kids or something? Apparently olive burgers were called "BOBs" (Best Olive Burgers). And that's what you had to ask for. Or you simply could not get them. The thing was, either the employees didn't know about the secret menu, or they were just told to refuse special orders without the codes.

And when like 80 percent of your menu is "secret" and you won't do special orders, nobody's going to eat at the place that just has maybe 10 choices total.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That Robox posted:

I guess it was meant to be a fun game for the local college kids or something? Apparently olive burgers were called "BOBs" (Best Olive Burgers). And that's what you had to ask for. Or you simply could not get them. The thing was, either the employees didn't know about the secret menu, or they were just told to refuse special orders without the codes.

I can't believe they went out of business.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

thewireguy posted:

I came across a store that had 5o+ versions of olive oil. That's all. All kinds of flavors and everything, but how can you pay rent like that?

There's an olive oil store like that in the city one of my friends live in that has self-serve free sample jars of bread and all of the olive oil jars with taps and we just help ourselves and leave. It's great when you're hungover, but I have no idea how they make money.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

That Robox posted:

There was a new burger place that opened nearby about 5 years ago. Was going for the whole 50s style thing. I went there one day and tried to order an olive burger and was told they couldn't make those. Only what was on the menu. The menu wasn't much more than:

Hamburger
Cheeseburger
Hot Dog
Fries
Pop
Shakes

I ended up just getting cheeseburgers which weren't all that great anyhow. Place closed about a month or so after opening. Was talking to a friend and he said he went there quite a few times and ate all kinds of things.

Apparently there was a "secret menu" but you had to go online, find their website, (which wasn't mentioned in the restaurant or on any of their stuff) and jump through a few more hoops to get the list of code words.

And when like 80 percent of your menu is "secret" and you won't do special orders, nobody's going to eat at the place that just has maybe 10 choices total.

I think the real question is why would anyone put olives on a burger.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

That Robox posted:

Hamburger
Cheeseburger
Hot Dog
Fries
Pop
Shakes

What the hell is an olive burger? Just olives on a hamburger?

Anyway, out over in Seattle the best fast food place around is Dick's Drive-In and they've got even fewer option on the menu than that. Sometimes you just don't want a lot of stuff to pick from.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

What the hell is an olive burger? Just olives on a hamburger?

Yeah pretty much. Green olives. Melted cheese. Usually mayo. Really one of those things that doesn't sound like it would work, but it does. Pretty common at bars and burger places, most even have it right on the menu.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I have never heard of an olive burger or seen one on a menu. Is this one of those regional things you think is normal but is actually super weird?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It sounds bad, but I don't much like olives.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

cyberia posted:

I have never heard of an olive burger or seen one on a menu. Is this one of those regional things you think is normal but is actually super weird?

Looks like it's just a Michigan thing. :ms:

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

thewireguy posted:

There's a place like that not far from me. Apparently they do tasting parties for their olive oils and balsamic, which I could see bringing in ok money. A lot of older folks vacation or have cabins nearby, and there's not a wide range of low-key afternoon activities to choose from otherwise.

They also make extra cash selling fancy pourers and containers for their bottles—it seems like a lot of their trade in general is based on gift stuff like that. And people that really, really like olive oil/balsamic.

I'll admit to spending some money I don't have there. But then I'm also a gigantic sucker for a good black mission fig balsamic, so. :chef:

They've been in business for awhile so I guess it's working?

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Looks like it's just a Michigan thing. :ms:

Well I am from Michigan, and somehow I never knew that.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Ego-bot posted:

Not a stupid decision in marketing, but Taylor Swift's new album cover isn't going over well in China.

T.S. 1989

Oh my god. :stonk:

That Robox posted:

Hamburger
Cheeseburger
Hot Dog
Fries
Pop
Shakes
Was it a 5 Guys? When I went there for the first time recently that about describes their menu. Actually I don't think they even had shakes.

FoxTerrier posted:

olive oil store
With things like this I always assume the place is a front for something else.

I always wondered how mattress stores manage to stay in business. You only need to buy a new mattress maybe two or three times over your whole life, and it's not like cars where one person might own more than one for the most part. How many people are really going into a mattress store on any given day? I know people *need* mattresses so it's not like the stores are some unneeded frippery but I just wonder how the places stay in business and can afford overhead/paying employees.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

sweeperbravo posted:

With things like this I always assume the place is a front for something else.

I always assume it is one of two things:

1) hobby shop for wife of a rich-ish guy
2) passion project for someone with no business experience and doesn't mind working 16 hours days and not drawing a salary.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

sweeperbravo posted:

Oh my god. :stonk:

Was it a 5 Guys? When I went there for the first time recently that about describes their menu. Actually I don't think they even had shakes.

5 guys has a pretty small menu but they have a dozen toppings to pick from right on the menu, you don't need to know the secret handshake if you want something fancier than a plain cheeseburger.

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

sweeperbravo posted:

The "secret menu" of 5 Guys is just that they let you custom order whatever dumb poo poo you want and upcharge for it. A grilled cheese sandwich with an entire hot dog in it and the receipt cooked into the bread? Sure, whatever, just keep the line moving. Though since ordering a grilled cheese and paying 50 cents extra for them to put a burger patty in it is technically a patty melt it's now BUZZFEED'S TOP 20 SECRET MENU LIFEHACKS: #4 WILL MAKE YOU POWERBOMB YOUR DAD

Contrecoup has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Jul 24, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That Robox posted:

Well I am from Michigan, and somehow I never knew that.

Yeah me too. Most Michigan regional things a pretty well known and accepted as "ours", but olive burgers? Huh.

Also I've seen the oil only boutiques before. My step-mom's crazy over flavored oil and buys a lot of it. (She is the sort with more money than sense and buys too much fancy crap). Pretty sure she's the prime demographic for those places. However, the mafia front idea is probably not unrealistic either. I've heard the mob has a stranglehold on the olive oil business, and you have even odds of the purity listed on the bottle to be a lie and wind up with counterfeit oil.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

sweeperbravo posted:

It was some strange one-off thing, not a franchise or chain. Had a weird "leave it to beaver" 50s style look. Was called Oh My! Burgers and Fries! Or something like that I think. Only went that one time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah me too. Most Michigan regional things a pretty well known and accepted as "ours", but olive burgers? Huh.

Also I've seen the oil only boutiques before. My step-mom's crazy over flavored oil and buys a lot of it. (She is the sort with more money than sense and buys too much fancy crap). Pretty sure she's the prime demographic for those places. However, the mafia front idea is probably not unrealistic either. I've heard the mob has a stranglehold on the olive oil business, and you have even odds of the purity listed on the bottle to be a lie and wind up with counterfeit oil.

I've never got the point of people buying flavored oils. Usually the only valid use for them is in a professional restaurant that used it to add a specific flavor to a dish to make it a work of art. Most home consumers buying it just dump it into their mac and cheese and talk about how next level their cooking is. Truffle oil is a big one, people see "truffle oil" on fancy menus and go out and buy a $40 bottle of it to sit on their shelf and rarely ever use properly.

Gabriel Pope posted:

5 guys has a pretty small menu but they have a dozen toppings to pick from right on the menu, you don't need to know the secret handshake if you want something fancier than a plain cheeseburger.

5 Guys has burger patties, hot dogs, and fries. All the toppings in the world are great but if you don't want a meat burger you're not going to eat there. Since the prices in CA skyrocketed at the 5 Guys (cheeseburger is $7.50) I haven't gone back because In n Out is 1/3 of that price and still tastes comparable.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Jul 24, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, not too long back I took the kid to one here in Mich and left feeling like I ate a greasy spoon for like, triple the price.

Ironically, In n Out DOES have secret menu selections, though not much. There's the animal sauce (basically frying onions in bic mac sauce) you can have on things, you can make your shake a neopolitan (they already have all 3 flavors) and you can go beyond the number of patties and cheese listed as long as you pay for it. Supposedly someone once ordered a 100 by 100 (as in, a hundred patties and cheese slices on one sandwich)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

sweeperbravo posted:

I always wondered how mattress stores manage to stay in business. You only need to buy a new mattress maybe two or three times over your whole life, and it's not like cars where one person might own more than one for the most part. How many people are really going into a mattress store on any given day? I know people *need* mattresses so it's not like the stores are some unneeded frippery but I just wonder how the places stay in business and can afford overhead/paying employees.

I don't know how expensive the overhead is for a mattress store, but there's a shop in Milwaukee (http://www.hassless.com/) that has no staff. Someone (presumably the owner) comes in, opens the doors, turns on the lights and leaves. If you want to buy anything, there's a big phone number on the wall where you call in to the owner directly and he'll come in and do all the paperwork. Presumably the merchandise is all chained to the floor or otherwise secured, and I would hope there are security cameras so no team of guys just comes in and robs the place blind, but that whole scenario seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

sweeperbravo posted:

In college/university towns (or in any decently-sized town), you can drum up a ton of business by offering free delivery and installation. Nobody wants to move tons of poo poo into his or her new apartment only to have to turn around and haul a new mattress and box spring up several flights of stairs.

The guy that runs the mattress store up the street from me is a tricky fucker. In addition to all the high-end poo poo for his showroom, he buys tons of low-tier mattresses from his supplier, then runs ads in the newspaper, on Craigslist, and on a Facebook account with a fake name: "Hey, I got this queen-size pillow-top mattress, it won't fit in my bedroom so I need to get rid of it. I paid $600, you can have it for $300 OBO because I need it gone. Brand new, still in packaging. I can bring it to you if you want. Call 555-5555" Every time he gets a call, he pretends to be some random schmoe who didn't measure his bedroom, and when they agree to buy the poor soul's mattress, he throws one in the back of his personal pickup and delivers it. Clever, if a teensy bit disingenuous :v:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Clever, if a teensy bit disingenuous :v:
This summarizes pretty much every good piece of marketing. Good for him.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Ego-bot posted:

T.S. 1989

Thanks, Taylor. Taynks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

sweeperbravo posted:

I always wondered how mattress stores manage to stay in business. You only need to buy a new mattress maybe two or three times over your whole life,

Change your mattress every 3-5 years, it makes a difference to your sleep if you buy a decent one. Also gross.

quote:

and it's not like cars where one person might own more than one for the most part.

There are three mattresses in my house, not everyone is a single person.

quote:

How many people are really going into a mattress store on any given day? I know people *need* mattresses so it's not like the stores are some unneeded frippery but I just wonder how the places stay in business and can afford overhead/paying employees.

I'd guess the markup/profit on mattresses is obscene.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Ego-bot posted:

T.S. 1989

:stare: Woah. Chinese censors are infamously touchy about anything even vaguely sounding like that topic. I can't believe no one caught it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mizuti posted:

:stare: Woah. Chinese censors are infamously touchy about anything even vaguely sounding like that topic. I can't believe no one caught it.

1989 on the Chinese calendar was a long, long time ago. Think it's like 4,700 something right now. They don't run on the Gregorian calendar. Or at least didn't. Yes that's a touchy subject but I kind of wonder how many of the censors realized that happened in 1989 by the Gregorian calendar?

On this side of the pond how many people can remember off the top of their head when Tienanmen Square happened? It probably just never occurred. I had to actually Google search that to figure out what was wrong with it.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Jul 24, 2015